IGNORED

Max O’Leary (merged topics)

GrahamC

6 months ago I’d have been happy to see him replaced and sat as our number two. Now I’m more concerned he’ll be one of the next ones off to better things in the summer! 

Delighted for him. Just goes to show how players can improve given the time and the opportunity, and how important consistent minutes are to help that development. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

FBC Pod - Lez - (paraphrased) Max was nothing special, the shots weren’t in the corner, were weak, or both. Lordy!

That was very odd, I just took it that he was trying to be intentionally provocative for whatever reason. 

Max has been outstanding recently and BBC sport and Sky Sports certainly are singing his praises today!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

FBC Pod - Lez - (paraphrased) Max was nothing special, the shots weren’t in the corner, were weak, or both. Lordy!

Is he often a big drug user?

I remember when Nigel Pearson finally unburdened us from David Bentley there was a lot of doubt over this lad’s capabilities, I think over the season it would be fair to say Goalkeeper is the last position we need to be looking at when it comes to transfer priorities! Another great performance 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fredford89 said:

I remember when Nigel Pearson finally unburdened us from David Bentley there was a lot of doubt over this lad’s capabilities, I think over the season it would be fair to say Goalkeeper is the last position we need to be looking at when it comes to transfer priorities! Another great performance 

Totally agree, better keeper, cost nothing, much lower wages, what’s not to like. Well done Max. 

Like most I had my doubts at first, and there has been a few dodgy spells along the way,  but now he’s more than proved himself and is improving all the time.

Max and Dickie are the two candidates for POTS for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fredford89 said:

your memories not that good then. It's Daniel Bentley not Dave.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, winsaw said:

Max had been far and away our best player this season, another top performance today,

Amazing that some still don't rate him don't think there are many better keepers in the championship at the moment,

I think it’s one of those where he was “trusted” and you could see his development was always going to be bumpy, especially as we’re in the brutal environment of the championship. And he’s proved that he’s more than capable. 

Very well done Max. COYR. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Max O’Leary (merged topics)

Max got Star man in The Football League Paper. Their general player rating as usual show there was no reporter at the game (Roberts got a 7 for example). But they did at least manage to get the match rating right at one star.

Bentley had some superb games for us but come the end of his time he was a liability that HAD to be replaced for both our and HIS benefit. He was playing crap and glued to his line. That game against Birmingham away was one of the weakest performances a City keeper had put in for years. He didn't have any intention whatsoever of coming for a high ball and, personally, I can't have that from a Goalkeeper. It's a surefire sign that your bottle has gone at that particular point.

However managerial experience that has totally bypassed Jon and Sid decided "this clown is letting team mates and myself down and not only that has no intention of signing next season so I've got a number 2 and he's playing for the rest of the season". He didn't shit his pants when Max made a few mistakes, stuck with it and the long term benefit for the CLUB is we now have a keeper that is certainly at the level and playing above it occasionally too. It surprised me but Nige came out earlier this season and said Max is a better keeper full stop. It seems that Liam rates him very highly too from comments over the last couple of weeks.

For me, the difference is that Max is now putting in 8-10/10 performances occasionally now whereas for the first 12 months or so of his run in goal I would say he was a steady 6-7 pretty much every week bar the odd poorer game. He would rarely win us points but now that is starting to occur. A great lesson in patience and proof that these football types aren't totally clueless in terms of what they are seeing.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3

On 01/04/2024 at 19:58, ExiledAjax said:

It depends a little on how you define "one of the best". For me I'd say it means he's in the top 6 in enough stats/areas to be in that conversation. I'd say as well that I say he looks like one of the best, because the defence in front of him improves him. I don't necessarily mean that he is, objectively, one of the top keepers in this division.

Anyway, Max is:

3rd best save% this season.

4th for overall number of saves.

6th best for goals conceded.

7th best for stopping crosses.

Top 10 for most stats relevant to being a sweeper. Top 6 for one or two.

He's not up there for every stat, and not all stats indicate whether a goalkeeper in isolation is good/bad, but yeh he's putting in top 6/top 10 numbers in multiple categories.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepersadv/Championship-Stats

Think he's one (although he's not perfect) that has improved under Liam Manning (and of course Pat Mountain)

16 hours ago, Fredford89 said:

But it is good to have a good reserve to keep Max on his toes ( or cover any injury)