IGNORED

End of Season Awards 2023/24 - VOTING NOW OPEN!

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Should just do 'players born after 2001' - and raise that by a year each season.

To be fair the way the SC&T have done it is the way the PFA run their young player of the year qualification (must be under 21 at the start of July in that case to qualify for the award the following season) and is also how age group qualification works throughout grassroots football. 

The only reason people are getting exercised about it is because the list of qualifying players we have is exceptionally light. Last year we had Scott, Conway, Bell so there was a strong contention group (although a clear winner) and the same applied the year before.

In essence, the argument is “let’s amend the criteria because the options are a bit shit” - not because the criteria is wrong, both based on historic candidates and consistency with the wider football industry.

Take it up with the guys responsible for youth development at the club!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Done as everyone else … but ought to have a category for the ‘much under-rated’ or ‘Mr Consistency’ …. I bring you George Tanner. 

James worth a place in the top 3 too. Also a Mr Consistency with his ability to help control the midfield . We’re so much worse without his calm authority. 
really really hope he gets that extension. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

24. He was 23 at the start of the season.

The "young squad" that Brian thinks we have is really not as young as you might think.

Quite. Only two players qualifying for the YPOTY (and only one of those doing so due to an injury crisis) having started a game this season is quite something.

There is mitigation in the 21-24 group where I think we have Tanner, TGH, Bell, Roberts, Knight and Mehmeti so there are a few who in theory should have development time until their “prime” but I’d view our overall age profile as relatively typical. The academy graduate stat is bumped up by players aged 25+ in Pring, O’Leary and Vyner who are some way from academy days.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair I was trying to work out if anyone had been missed out by mistake and I’m assuming Bell is just a touch too old. But the nominees being Medube (30 minutes), Knight-Lebel (60 minutes), Joseph James (90 minutes), Yeboah (8? Subs) and Tommy make it pretty easy - and pretty stark in respect of the pathway this season.

Champagne moment is Soton obviously 

I voted for Mebude as would be hilarious to see him given the award. 

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I voted for Mebude as would be hilarious to see him given the award. 

I'd hope they'd not allow it to happen, but he's on the list so they might as I dont think they’ve thought the repercussions through.

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Dickie by a country mile

Conway begrudgingly in the absence of anyone better. I thought we were supposed to have a young team?

Conway goal versus West Ham away

Clicked past the women (yes you can do this) as I don't know enough

Ditto

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Thanks, but not the link I was looking for.

My champagne moment was going to be the spoof video of JL giving his reasons why Nige was sacked 😂

Ha, found it now

Absolutely pissed myself when this came out, still funny now! The “naaahsty maaaan” bit and the little laugh at the end get me every time! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW I voted for Dickie and if he doesn’t win it I’ll eat my hat, your hat and Stoney Garnetts hat.

It did get me thinking though as to who could warrant it. My rough order of performance this season would be below - it absolutely highlights that we have issues at the top end, although some of that is whether those up front are getting the service. I could only really make a case for one of the first five getting it and after that the order would be very fluid.

Have missed out those who haven’t played much (Twine, Medube, JKL etc)

Dickie

O’Leary

Knight

James

Sykes

Vyner

Pring

Tanner

Williams

Bell

Conway

TGH

Mehmeti

King

Roberts

Wells

McCrorie

Cornick

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

FWIW I voted for Dickie and if he doesn’t win it I’ll eat my hat, your hat and Stoney Garnetts hat.

It did get me thinking though as to who could warrant it. My rough order of performance this season would be below - it absolutely highlights that we have issues at the top end, although some of that is whether those up front are getting the service. I could only really make a case for one of the first five getting it and after that the order would be very fluid.

Have missed out those who haven’t played much (Twine, Medube, JKL etc)

Dickie

O’Leary

Knight

James

Sykes

Vyner

Pring

Tanner

Williams

Bell

Conway

TGH

Mehmeti

King

Roberts

Wells

McCrorie

Cornick

Fair, though having scored the winner v Leicester & being involved in the goal yesterday, Mehmeti might well climb that list by season’s end.

Wells might only have 4 league goals too but the 3 away from home (equaliser at Hull, what should have been a late winner at Cov & only goal yesterday) were all important ones..

Went for Conway’s goal right in front of 8000 away fans at West Ham as my champagne moment.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1