IGNORED

‘Cold’ Palmer

One Team

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good grief. So I can’t accuse Manchester City of immorality or wrongdoing without mentioning every other instance of immorality or wrongdoing at the same time. Just utter nonsense.

If I call Harold Shipman a mass murderer but don’t mention Fred West in the same sentence, it doesn’t mean I think Fred West was a nice chap.

To be fair, nor do I, but apparently he could lay a very nice patio 😉.

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

I don't think Palmer really suits Man City's obsession with positional play and possession

Palmer is not the type of player to get the ball, and pass straight away. He dribbles into space and isn't necessarily a team player all of the time (which is what I want from a Number 10/wide man).

As I said before there's an arrogance about this kid that I really like, he doesn't think he's the best Chelsea player he knows he is and it shows when he plays.

Explain Doku, who's a "running with the ball" type of player?

2 hours ago, Selred said:

This thread sums up the issue with the forum in my opinion.

Two pages on a non City player (yes cracking player and all that), vs a thread on Pack having a great season on the "ex-players" sub forum and no replies at all.

Think we need to relook at how the forum is set up.

I just replied on the Pack thread, always liked him. 

Back on Palmer - there's a lot of competition in that part of the pitch; shame we don't have a similar situation in defence

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I am interested, but find it odd that this can be classed as more beneficial to the main thread than ex players chat (who people could equally just ignored threads).

I don’t disagree. Unfortunately there’s one person who derailed every single ex player/manager thread. 

Maybe they should have had their own sub forum instead….

• Like 1

Wonder if Pep regrets letting Palmer go, and for less than he was really worth.

Palmer was doing okay at Man City, though perhaps feeling frustrated at the playing time he was getting.

Palmer has developed considerably this season and is a better player than Doku, whose decision making and distribution is pretty erratic.

13 hours ago, pillred said:

It just helps the enjoyment of watching the Premier League if you have at least a favourite team in it that you like to see do well, I like Spurs but if it came to them playing City then it would be no contest, it's not a crime to be a fan of another club even if the intensity you feel for them compared to  City is not quite there.

Agree with this.

More so PL teams that you don’t like !

Seeing Man U & Bournemouth lose; both of whom I despise, cheers me up, especially if City have lost.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Simply bought by Pep to push them further up the pitch when needs be because of his pace. Technically, he's poor no where near the ability of Foden or Grealish and a step down on the talent they had previously out wide (Mahrez, Sane, D Silva, Sterling).

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Positional play does not exclude running with the ball. The team is playing positionally to get the ball to a position where Doku can take advantage of the opportunity created. A feature of positional play is seeking to create numerical advantage 3/4v 2 etc, and isolating opponents 1v1 - There's is the advantage for Doku.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Arsenal have had a very good season but ive not really blown away by saka playing for england, to the point you would say hes a star man like kane or bellingham and who would be key to us actually winning anything. I wouldnt say that foden, grealish or rashford have been at that level yet either though they are all clearly talented, and after seeing palmer last night he should certainly be in with a shout.

Kane and Bellingham are our star players

but 

Getting a back 4 that can defend will be key to us winning anything

We have had the likes of Ferdinand Terry Cole Adams Campbell King in the past

couldnt win anything with them All of them would walk into the current team

I’m surprised at the Palmer ‘love-in’. 
When he arrived from Chelsea he was good partnering up with the lad from Stoke (Afobe) but after BA got injured I thought he was too inconsistent - and on a lot of money. 
Likeable guy though - and I’m sure many Bristol housewives from the estates are disappointed he’s gone, considering his song…..

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Rarely starts, he's often a plan B in that team

He's started half of their games, at the age of 21 plus he was injured for 5 games. He's pretty much played in every game he's been available for. 

Not bad at all when he's sharing the position with Grealish. 

Extremely exciting talent.

5 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Why am I not surprised he has a second team, may even be his first team ?

I watch a lot of Man City games because my son supports them aswell as him supporting us. His maternal grand father is from Manchester and is a Man City fan. 

So I sit and watch the Man City games with him. Problem with that? I watch pretty much every premier league game that's on TV because I'm a football fan. This might be a shock to you, but football fans like watching football. Especially the best teams. I'll watch about 6 games this weekend plus our own. 

Guess I support all those clubs too and that they are my first teams despite me not having season tickets to them clubs and never attending their games. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)

Some interesting debates on the thread! 

TBH I don’t get the Premier League team thing. I like watching the football for what it is, for example last night hence my OP; but supporting a successful Premier League club you have no real association with doesn’t make sense to me.

I know people who support Premier League teams who have never seen them live, I’d imagine many of you are similar. Appreciate others see it all differently mind you. 

One of the most frustrating things you get asked when proclaiming your support for City is “yeah but who is your Prem team?”! 🙄

Having a local team you support I do get especially if it’s where you live or where you are from. Some might say surely that’s the same thing, it’s a second team, but I think it’s different if it’s where you actually live or perhaps where you grew up.  

Edited by One Team

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I watch a lot of Man City games because my son supports them aswell as him supporting us. His maternal grand father is from Manchester and is a Man City fan. 

So I sit and watch the Man City games with him. Problem with that? I watch pretty much every premier league game that's on TV because I'm a football fan. This might be a shock to you, but football fans like watching football. Especially the best teams. I'll watch about 6 games this weekend plus our own. 

Guess I support all those clubs too and that they are my first teams despite me not having season tickets to them clubs and never attending their games. 

I think there is a difference between watching a teams games and appreciating the football to proclaiming your support for them/buying their shirts etc. 

I enjoy watching football at all levels. Loved playing it too. 
I never get bored with it. 
But I only support Bristol City. Some people have a ‘Prem Team’. I don’t. I can’t. I think of them as ‘plastics’. That doesn’t mean I hate them - far from it - I just don’t get how anyone can support more than one team. Why get excited about a team you’ve never seen winning against another team you’ve never seen? Weird. 
Maybe the key word is ‘support’ - for example, as I live in Swindon, I ‘keep an eye’ on their results and I don’t wish them any ill (unusual I know for a City fan), but I don’t ‘support’ them. There’s a difference. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Agree with this.

More so PL teams that you don’t like !

Seeing Man U & Bournemouth lose; both of whom I despise, cheers me up, especially if City have lost.

Like me you must have particularly enjoyed the Chelsea game last night, oh how I laughed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Each to their own, at 17.30 on a Saturday I prefer to watch the conference game on BT or whatever it’s called now than whatever Premier game is on Sky

6 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Each to their own, at 17.30 on a Saturday I prefer to watch the conference game on BT or whatever it’s called now than whatever Premier game is on Sky

Sounds a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face, if that's what you want fair play but it's you missing out on some great entertainment without the pressure of actually caring who wins, I find it makes a pleasant change.

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

Sounds a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face, if that's what you want fair play but it's you missing out on some great entertainment without the pressure of actually caring who wins, I find it makes a pleasant change.

No interest in Crystal Palace v Burnley, give me Southend v Dagenham any time 🙂

3 hours ago, TV Tom said:

At 17:30 on a Saturday you'll often find many grown men in Bristol City shirts in the sports bar cheering on the likes of Liverpool. I suggest you take your issues up with them. 

21 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How on earth anyone has time to watch six games plus City in one weekend is absolutely beyond me.

• Like 1

I wish Southgate would at least try in one friendly palmer, saka and foden behind Kane with Bellingham next to rice. Lose a bit dropping Bellingham back but gain so much more with palmer on the field instead of another DM...

Edited by DolmanGaz
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

I wish Southgate would at least try in one friendly palmer, saka and foden behind Kane with Bellingham next to rice. Lose a bit dropping Bellingham back but gain so much more with palmer on the field instead of another DM...

Insane the attacking talent we have.