IGNORED

‘Cold’ Palmer

One Team

9 hours ago, 2015 said:

Massive fan of Palmer. Proper player. Would love to see him given a real chance for England. A real flair player and is arrogant.

It appears City signed the wrong Palmer. 😄

Meanwhile is Cole related to Carlton Palmer, who according to some papers, was the worst player to ever play for England.

9 hours ago, Malago said:

Palmer is a real talent, but if you’re going to play Foden at No 10 with Bellingham and Rice in central midfield, where do you play Palmer?  I suppose he could play on the left of Kane, with Saka on the right, but I can’t see Southgate having guts to pick so many naturally gifted players.

As long as it keep the spinless Rashford out of the side I would be happy with that

• Like 2

9 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Hasn’t had enough of a chance for England, I hope that doesn’t cost him a place in the Euros squad.

Respectfully I think you're wrong. 25 games 1 goal last season, was hardly setting the world alight. Was a regular in the U21s squad though.

Obviously has a good head on him, or had some good advice, to step away from City and get more regular football which he's thrived on.

Made his debut in the last international break, and then was injured in this one and don't forget he's had the likes of Saka, Foden, Rashford (til he lost form) and Grealish ahead of him.

I'd be amazed if he's not in the Euro squad

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Palmer has been sensational this season yet couldn’t get even a minute of action in the recent England friendlies. Unbelievable!

He was injured and didn't train 🤦‍♂️ was listed as a sub for the second game but clearly didn't want to risk him

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Respectfully I think you're wrong. 25 games 1 goal last season, was hardly setting the world alight. Was a regular in the U21s squad though.

Obviously has a good head on him, or had some good advice, to step away from City and get more regular football which he's thrived on.

Made his debut in the last international break, and then was injured in this one and don't forget he's had the likes of Saka, Foden, Rashford (til he lost form) and Grealish ahead of him.

I don't think Palmer really suits Man City's obsession with positional play and possession. 

Palmer is not the type of player to get the ball, and pass straight away. He dribbles into space and isn't necessarily a team player all of the time (which is what I want from a Number 10/wide man).

As I said before there's an arrogance about this kid that I really like, he doesn't think he's the best Chelsea player he knows he is and it shows when he plays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I don't think Palmer really suits Man City's obsession with positional play and possession. 

Palmer is not the type of player to get the ball, and pass straight away. He dribbles into space and isn't necessarily a team player all of the time (which is what I want from a Number 10/wide man).

As I said before there's an arrogance about this kid that I really like, he doesn't think he's the best Chelsea player he knows he is and it shows when he plays.

Yea I get what you're saying, he's more of a "proper" winger. I really like him

Just now, MarcusX said:

Yea I get what you're saying, he's more of a "proper" winger. I really like him

Glad he left Man City because Pep would have tried coaching his flair out of him to make him more of a team player (See Grealish)

I now await a certain Seagull from Weston to now quote me and tell me I know absolutely nothing..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think the problem for Palmer will be he plays in that 10/RW where we're very well stacked.

I can't see Southgate dropping Bellingham deeper so your number 10 position is already filled.

Rice            Mainoo??? (This second holding position is a concern)

Bellingham

???                                         Foden

Kane

Really only leaves the RW spot assuming Foden comes off the left wing, would be amazed if Southgate deviated away from Saka even though he's actually having a quiet few months! Think another issue with playing Palmer on the right is he's not going to run in behind Kane at all. With Kane being so effective dropping deep (I like that he does it) then you need players being able to run in behind which is what Saka offers. With somebody like Palmer there we would end up with 4 number 10's essentially and nobody stretching the opposition at all. 

Think Maddison will suffer with the same issue as Palmer and don't think you can take both, pre-christmas I'd have had Maddison in there all day despite Palmers form but he's not looked as sharp since his injury so wide open! 

Frustratingly, the answer is to trust Rice to hold by himself and play Bellingham as more of an 8 but I just can't see it happening!

Still need to consider players like Bowen, Gordon, Grealish, Rashford, Eze and even somebody like Gibbs-White. Will be a lot of talent not going!

31 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Glad he left Man City because Pep would have tried coaching his flair out of him to make him more of a team player (See Grealish)

I now await a certain Seagull from Weston to now quote me and tell me I know absolutely nothing..

I'm baffled why you said that Man City have an obsession with possesion and positional play. That may be so. But why say the obsession bit? You've framed it like it's a negitive.

Maybe it's a negitive for Cole Palmer but Man City are the holders of 5 trophies and have a decent chance of doing back to back trebles so their obsession with it is well founded. 

Grealish had a fantastic season for Man City last season and was instrumental in them winning the treble. 

I'm not going to tell you that you know nothing. I think Peps huge body of work speaks for itself. 

I don't think anyone would put Cole Palmer in a team ahead of KDB, Foden or Bernardo Silva. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm baffled why you said that Man City have an obsession with possesion and positional play. That may be so. But why say the obsession bit? You've framed it like it's a negitive.

Maybe it's a negitive for Cole Palmer but Man City are the holders of 5 trophies and have a decent chance of doing back to back trebles so their obsession with it is well founded. 

Grealish had a fantastic season for Man City last season and was instrumental in them winning the treble. 

I'm not going to tell you that you know nothing. I think Peps huge body of work speaks for itself. 

I don't think anyone would put Cole Palmer in a team ahead of KDB, Foden or Bernardo Silva. 

Pep certainly has an obsession with this style of play, it's not wrong on his part to play that way as it works and is very successful.

I deem it negative because I find it actually quite mundane and characterless to watch, it works but it's not what I particularly enjoy watching.. As said elsewhere I prefer Liverpool's organised chaos to Man City's robots.

If you like Man City then fair enough but it's not wrong to find them boring to watch either.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Pep certainly has an obsession with this style of play, it's not wrong on his part to play that way as it works and is very successful.

I deem it negative because I find it actually quite mundane and characterless to watch, it works but it's not what I particularly enjoy watching.. As said elsewhere I prefer Liverpool's organised chaos to Man City's robots.

If you like Man City then fair enough but it's not wrong to find them boring to watch either.

It’s quite easy to see the Man City v Arsenal game and label them as boring all round but i think it’s unfair to say they play boring football. 

It can be a lot more structured and slow in build up, usually because of how the opposition approaches countering Man City’s set up rather than Man City doing it themselves. 

Both Man U fixtures, the 4-4 draw with Chelsea and the 3-2 win over newcastle were all very entertaining games imo. But almost every team outside of the top 6 will play exclusively on the counter against Man City in a low block because of how good they are.

The Real Madrid home leg last season for example, they set up the same way they have done all this season and that was arguably one of the best performances in recent club football, extremely entertaining at the same time.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, George Rs said:

It’s quite easy to see the Man City v Arsenal game and label them as boring all round but i think it’s unfair to say they play boring football. 

It can be a lot more structured and slow in build up, usually because of how the opposition approaches countering Man City’s set up rather than Man City doing it themselves. 

Both Man U fixtures, the 4-4 draw with Chelsea and the 3-2 win over newcastle were all very entertaining games imo. But almost every team outside of the top 6 will play exclusively on the counter against Man City in a low block because of how good they are.

The Real Madrid home leg last season for example, they set up the same way they have done all this season and that was arguably one of the best performances in recent club football, extremely entertaining at the same time.  

Bit like Barcelona under Pep in some ways. I would cite some gsmes...

6-2 in the Bernabeu albeit vs a not such strong Real Madrid. (2009)

Arguably the CL Final v Man United in 2009 to some degree...

...However the one in 2011 was far better!

The 5-0 vs Real Madrid at that time back on the rise under Mourinho was also highly notable, 2010.

Atletico aside, La Liga was stronger in the late 2000s or so. They had some and especially in 2008-09, 2010-11 some major wins by which I mean big or dominant wins vs at that time stronger sides ie Sevilla, Valencia etc. Atletico had some good players but not a top coach and were badly run off the pitch so underachieved often.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

This thread sums up the issue with the forum in my opinion.

Two pages on a non City player (yes cracking player and all that), vs a thread on Pack having a great season on the "ex-players" sub forum and no replies at all.

Think we need to relook at how the forum is set up.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

I think the problem for Palmer will be he plays in that 10/RW where we're very well stacked.

I can't see Southgate dropping Bellingham deeper so your number 10 position is already filled.

Rice            Mainoo??? (This second holding position is a concern)

Bellingham

???                                         Foden

Kane

Really only leaves the RW spot assuming Foden comes off the left wing, would be amazed if Southgate deviated away from Saka even though he's actually having a quiet few months! Think another issue with playing Palmer on the right is he's not going to run in behind Kane at all. With Kane being so effective dropping deep (I like that he does it) then you need players being able to run in behind which is what Saka offers. With somebody like Palmer there we would end up with 4 number 10's essentially and nobody stretching the opposition at all. 

Think Maddison will suffer with the same issue as Palmer and don't think you can take both, pre-christmas I'd have had Maddison in there all day despite Palmers form but he's not looked as sharp since his injury so wide open! 

Frustratingly, the answer is to trust Rice to hold by himself and play Bellingham as more of an 8 but I just can't see it happening!

Still need to consider players like Bowen, Gordon, Grealish, Rashford, Eze and even somebody like Gibbs-White. Will be a lot of talent not going!

I don't think Saka has been that good this season. Palmer could easily start on the right in the opening game.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

31 minutes ago, Selred said:

Two pages on a non City player (yes cracking player and all that), vs a thread on Pack having a great season on the "ex-players" sub forum and no replies at all.

In fairness this is discussing Palmer and England. 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't think Saka has been that good this season. Palmer could easily start on the right in the opening game.

Only 21 G/A in 28 games for Saka this season.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Selred said:

Only one man’s opinion. But having constant topics on former players who are still playing competitive football is rather tinpot. Whilst talking about a young English talent who’s now in discussion for a starting place this summer competition.

Again, only my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Super said:

In fairness this is discussing Palmer and England. 

Latter in the thread yes, but began just talking about Palmer's performance. But this apparently takes precedence over things which are Bristol City connected.

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

Latter in the thread yes, but began just talking about Palmer's performance. But this apparently takes precedence over things which are Bristol City connected.

Pack no longer plays for us. It's a loose connection.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Super said:

3rd highest scoring player in the league in Fantasy football which obviously is based on goals, assists and being the highest performing player in matches.

4 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

3rd highest scoring player in the league in Fantasy football which obviously is based on goals, assists and being the highest performing player in matches.

Just going on games I've seen not sure what Arsenal fans think they watch him every week.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good grief. So I can’t accuse Manchester City of immorality or wrongdoing without mentioning every other instance of immorality or wrongdoing at the same time. Just utter nonsense.

If I call Harold Shipman a mass murderer but don’t mention Fred West in the same sentence, it doesn’t mean I think Fred West was a nice chap.

You can't put Harold Shipman and Fred West in the same sentence. Shipman couldn't hold a light to West in a game of mass murderer Top Trumps !

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Just going on games I've seen not sure what Arsenal fans think they watch him every week.

From what I've seen Saka is better in open play although I'd rather Palmer be on the pitch for those big moments.

Will be interesting to see how Saka performs as the title race comes down to the wire.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure what you're trying to achieve if you're not interested ignore the thread!

I am interested, but find it odd that this can be classed as more beneficial to the main thread than ex players chat (who people could equally just ignored threads).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Arsenal have had a very good season but ive not really blown away by saka playing for england, to the point you would say hes a star man like kane or bellingham and who would be key to us actually winning anything. I wouldnt say that foden, grealish or rashford have been at that level yet either though they are all clearly talented, and after seeing palmer last night he should certainly be in with a shout.