IGNORED

‘Cold’ Palmer

One Team

On 05/04/2024 at 08:10, 22A said:

It appears City signed the wrong Palmer. 😄

Meanwhile is Cole related to Carlton Palmer, who according to some papers, was the worst player to ever play for England.

He is. He's the illegitimate lovechild of Andy Cole and Carlton Palmer.

On 06/04/2024 at 14:01, ChippenhamRed said:

How on earth anyone has time to watch six games plus City in one weekend is absolutely beyond me.

The extra 6 games are therapy after an afternoon watching Manningball....

He's a quality player and should be in the England team. Unfortunately Southgate seemed to like his comfortable pairs of slippers so I would expect him to be used sparingly...

As an aside, the penalty incident was embarrassing last night, but fair play to Palmer for shrugging it of and calmly slotting it away.

• Like 1

Palmer is a form, confident player and should be in the mix. Looks from the outside like a cool headed type which bodes well for the big summer occasion.

Meanwhile, every time I see Pickford he looks like someone who has had way too many espresso coffees before the game. A top keeper no doubt but he looks stressed on TV and whilst I like a keeper who barks out helpful shouts to his defence I worry a bit that he is too much on the edge during a difficult club season.

As for the 'it's my ball' penalty argument, what a farce. Like a bunch of 7 year olds, hence they should be treated as such. No hot chocolate for them before bedtime.

19 minutes ago, Super said:

not gonna happen is it?

May be an image of 6 people, people playing football, people playing American football and text that says "Kane Foden Saka Palmer Rice Bellingham"

To then have Mainoo as another option is insane. Watkins isn't a bad back up to Kane either, albeit not done anything great for England yet.

13 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Kane 4
Palmer 2
Foden 2

None for the other three.

That's a lot! I thought Bellingham had one early in the season, but maybe not

Edit: from a Google search, he didn't 

Edited by mozo

55 minutes ago, mozo said:

That's a lot! I thought Bellingham had one early in the season, but maybe not

Edit: from a Google search, he didn't 

Think he got 2 in a few games Barca away being one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NewquayRed said:

In some respects I agree on both accounts but, Pickford is nailed on under Southgate and I’m not convinced the manager fancy’s Cole as part of this group for this Euros, and to be honest I kinda get that. 

You may well be right. Leaving the Premier Leagues joined leading scorer (from midfield) at home would be very England. They left Atyeo at home in 58 after he scored the goal that got them there. That worked out well!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Have we learned nothing from trying to shoehorn Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes into a side?

Maybe not, but these days we can have five subs and really change, or further strengthen the state of play. What a great position to be in.

On 15/04/2024 at 20:32, DolmanGaz said:

I wish Southgate would at least try in one friendly palmer, saka and foden behind Kane with Bellingham next to rice. Lose a bit dropping Bellingham back but gain so much more with palmer on the field instead of another DM...

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's been an occasion they've all been fit - certainly not since Palmer has burst on the scene.

I don't think we do lose much dropping Bellingham back because he's also a brilliant ball carrier. And any argument debating that should also acknowledge that Rice has been playing higher for Arsenal quite often with Jorginho sitting deeper so you could argue we lose a bit with Rice by playing him CDM.

On 15/04/2024 at 21:02, Bris Red said:

Agreed he is such a talent.

In forward areas we are as strong as any nation in the world at the monent especially with the depth of talent we have. 

It's defensively i worry and on tonights showing Pickford is not a goalkeeper that should fill us with any confidence going into a major tournament..

Probably a good job we don't judge players on one game then. I think it's mad the criticism Pickford gets (albeit I didn't see Monday's game) He's never let England down at a major tournament and don't forget he's probably the hero of Euro 2020 (21) if Saka puts his penalty in. 2 saves in a major final penalty shoot out!

As for this season he has the second highest clean sheets this season in the Prem and second or third for save percentage too I think. Everton have conceded the 4th lowest goals this season.

There's no better option than Pickford at the minute, and he's the least of our concerns in that back 5.

I think on current form and injuries our front 6 should be the following :

Rice Bellingham (not necessarily a flat 2)

Saka Foden Palmer

Kane

But, to counter the point about players playing out of position they need to be given the freedom they clearly had against Belgium to inter-change. Foden and Bellingham seemed to be given free roles and we need to do that and trust their ability.

Defence is questionable at the moment, needs to be decided closer to time and hope we have no further injuries. Think left back is the main concern

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's been an occasion they've all been fit - certainly not since Palmer has burst on the scene.

I don't think we do lose much dropping Bellingham back because he's also a brilliant ball carrier. And any argument debating that should also acknowledge that Rice has been playing higher for Arsenal quite often with Jorginho sitting deeper so you could argue we lose a bit with Rice by playing him CDM.

Probably a good job we don't judge players on one game then. I think it's mad the criticism Pickford gets (albeit I didn't see Monday's game) He's never let England down at a major tournament and don't forget he's probably the hero of Euro 2020 (21) if Saka puts his penalty in. 2 saves in a major final penalty shoot out!

As for this season he has the second highest clean sheets this season in the Prem and second or third for save percentage too I think. Everton have conceded the 4th lowest goals this season.

There's no better option than Pickford at the minute, and he's the least of our concerns in that back 5.

I think on current form and injuries our front 6 should be the following :

Rice Bellingham (not necessarily a flat 2)

Saka Foden Palmer

Kane

But, to counter the point about players playing out of position they need to be given the freedom they clearly had against Belgium to inter-change. Foden and Bellingham seemed to be given free roles and we need to do that and trust their ability.

Defence is questionable at the moment, needs to be decided closer to time and hope we have no further injuries. Think left back is the main concern

Would you pick Rashford? He seems to be a real Southgate favourite - but, imo, hasn't justified being anywhere near consideration.