IGNORED

FBC POD: Sunderland [A] the verdict: a point on the road, undefeated in 3, third shout out in a row, what's not to like?

11 hours ago, The turtle said:

Just a football musing, but I don't want to glory hog with a new thread. It's not so much about city either.

A strange phrase I've seen a lot today post game = "ill take that"

It has to be one of the stranger emotions. Who pays money and time to walk away from a football match thinking "ill take that" after a nil nil.

It's not like there are exceptions either, because if you play well you aren't taking it.

I'm a master of somehow watching 0-0s and not once have i ever walked out feeling like "ill take that"

Do you know how dominant the other team has to be for "ill take that"

Not once have i been to a game hoping for a 0-0. It simply leaves a feeling devoid of emotion.

I just don't get the phrase or the feeling

I find it really strange that people say it. It’s part of football parlance that I don’t understand 

• Hmmm 1

It makes a change to have someone other than Ian as the podcast villain. Flippin heck, what a pile in on Lez who is only expressing his opinions!!

Max was praised in the way he should be by the majority of us but I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the revelation [to us] that this SO important FA Youth Cup semi vs Man City did not warrant the lads going up the day before rather than face a 3+ hour long coach journey on the day of the game!

We also called for some form of communication from the board about just how ambitious we, as a club, are in some end of season statement; will Lansdown come on the pitch to address the fans as he has done in the past at the final home game vs. Rotherham? I think not and if he did he might just say, "just think, were it not for me, we could be just like them [Rotherham] yo-yoing between Championship & League 1"  which would no doubt draw applause from the be careful what you wish for contingent within the fan base.

I welcome new contributors - just message me if you would like to come on

This episode is now on Spotify etc: https://open.acast.com/public/streams/65ae24f47b60d200171f351d/episodes/661237edcfecc10016484177.mp3 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The turtle said:

Just a football musing, but I don't want to glory hog with a new thread. It's not so much about city either.

It has to be one of the stranger emotions. Who pays money and time to walk away from a football match thinking "ill take that" after a nil nil.

It's not like there are exceptions either, because if you play well you aren't taking it.

I'm a master of somehow watching 0-0s and not once have i ever walked out feeling like "ill take that"

Not once have i been to a game hoping for a 0-0. It simply leaves a feeling devoid of emotion.

I do.

When you’ve played poorly & your goalkeeper has saved you from defeat on the back of two wins (one against the side who’ll probably win the league) then a point away from home is absolutely fine by me.

I have been watching us a long time, so realised years ago that expecting us to win every game & even play well in them is unrealistic & pretty naive.

I look every season to make sure that first we have enough points to stay up, so yesterday was another one to that total.

The debate about Tinnion, Lansdown & Manning will go on elsewhere.

I’m definitely not in the “be careful what you wish for” camp, I’d happily see the Lansdowns & Tinnion leave tomorrow but can happily “take the point” & “move on”.

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, headhunter said:

It makes a change to have someone other than Ian as the podcast villain. Flippin heck, what a pile in on Lez who is only expressing his opinions!!

Max was praised in the way he should be by the majority of us but I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the revelation [to us] that this SO important FA Youth Cup semi vs Man City did not warrant the lads going up the day before rather than face a 3+ hour long coach journey on the day of the game!

We also called for some form of communication from the board about just how ambitious we, as a club, are in some end of season statement; will Lansdown come on the pitch to address the fans as he has done in the past at the final home game vs. Rotherham? I think not and if he did he might just say, "just think, were it not for me, we could be just like them [Rotherham] yo-yoing between Championship & League 1"  which would no doubt draw applause from the be careful what you wish for contingent within the fan base.

I welcome new contributors - just message me if you would like to come on

This episode is now on Spotify etc: https://open.acast.com/public/streams/65ae24f47b60d200171f351d/episodes/661237edcfecc10016484177.mp3 

The podcast is always good value. I often find myself disagreeing with what is said, but thats part of the fun. I will never understand why some people on this forum feel the need to get personal when they disagree with a contributor as well - even when its Ian who bloked me.on Twitter for calling him mate once 🙂

We definitely need a significant improvement in communication from the hierarchy though. I actually think things are nowhere near as bad on the pitch as a lot of people make out, including the coaching team, but off the pitch we are quite shambolic. I cant think of many other clubs that have a governance structure like ours. It is more aligned to amateur football than a championship club. We wont succeed unless it is sorted out asap.

Keep up the good work with the podcast. I am looking forward to a couple more end of season reviews as well. Ideally one with Richard Latham and Ian Gay going toe to toe.... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The turtle said:

There’s a huge difference between saying “I’ll take that” before the match in comparison with after.

We largely got battered. Max has saved us from a comfortable loss. So yes, I am taking a 0-0 based on how the game went. 

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Initial knee jerk reaction - Because it’s easier to pay lip service to something than you know, actually do it properly and fund to the level you want to achieve? 

More considered thought - How to the cat 1 academies operate. Is day of the game travel the standard?

33 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Initial knee jerk reaction - Because it’s easier to pay lip service to something than you know, actually do it properly and fund to the level you want to achieve? 

More considered thought - How to the cat 1 academies operate. Is day of the game travel the standard?

It does seem really odd behaviour considering the stated aim. The cost of an overnight for what, 25 people would be c5000 I’d imagine which would seem to be more than reasonable.

Irrespective of how other clubs operate if we wanted to take it seriously we should have done it.

The question it does raise is how many of our three injuries were - if not caused - not helped - by the players spending 3-4 hours on a coach that day

• Like 1

Thought Lez was a bit disrespectful to the pod with his constant starring at the phone, getting up and walking off, and showing no interest in listening when others were speaking.

Also think when Tom isn't on, everyone is pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet, so hoping the next guest will have some differing views to encourage more debate.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Jimmo said:

Thought Lez was a bit disrespectful to the pod with his constant starring at the phone, getting up and walking off, and showing no interest in listening when others were speaking.

Also think when Tom isn't on, everyone is pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet, so hoping the next guest will have some differing views to encourage more debate.

Probably busy setting up multiple accounts. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I do.

When you’ve played poorly & your goalkeeper has saved you from defeat on the back of two wins (one against the side who’ll probably win the league) then a point away from home is absolutely fine by me.

I have been watching us a long time, so realised years ago that expecting us to win every game & even play well in them is unrealistic & pretty naive.

I look every season to make sure that first we have enough points to stay up, so yesterday was another one to that total.

The debate about Tinnion, Lansdown & Manning will go on elsewhere.

I’m definitely not in the “be careful what you wish for” camp, I’d happily see the Lansdowns & Tinnion leave tomorrow but can happily “take the point” & “move on”.

So in essence, a team plays so badly the other team so dominant. You spend 90 minutes with very little entertainment, very little to get excited about. Very little quality from your own team. You've not got close to value for money or value for time. You haven't even seen the other team score to actually feel annoyed.

Yet, and it's the oddest of yets, it was so bad, conversely it becomes satisfying because a point has been added to a league table? Yep, I'll take that.

I understand what you're saying, i just find it alien. 

I actually quite liked Lez saying what he thought it was nice to see someone not following the party line that the other 3 push so often, some of it was rubbish like him not giving Max credit but I did agree with some of the other stuff, this pod works better when not everyone is agreeing on everything,

It did make me :laugh: that Ian is now so ITK he's got European agents telling him how much one of our players is going to be sold for in France in the summer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, headhunter said:

@headhunter I get you not supporting the pile in on Lez. With the greatest respect though, he isn’t only expressing opinions about football, he’s chosen to insult fans who happen to have a different opinion to him. 

Comments like “bed wetters” and “the cult of Nige” just seems infantile to me and unnecessary. Can he not give his opinion without that? 
 What “the cult of Nige”, actually means is anyone who hasn’t enjoyed Manning’s football and didn’t appreciate the way NP was sacked, which isn’t exactly controversial. It doesn’t take us forward when people use your platform to continue getting these remarks in and is used to shut down conversations Your podcast is better than that in my opinion. 

• Like 12
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, winsaw said:

I actually quite liked Lez saying what he thought it was nice to see someone not following the party line that the other 3 push so often, some of it was rubbish like him not giving Max credit but I did agree with some of the other stuff, this pod works better when not everyone is agreeing on everything,

It did make me :laugh: that Ian is now so ITK he's got European agents telling him how much one of our players is going to be sold for in France in the summer 

Ian in recent months yes, Mark less so but I'd like to think I remain true to the spirit I adopted within the podcast from day 1 and that is having a cup half empty  view borne out of the frustrations associated with 57 years of support! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, headhunter said:

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the revelation [to us] that this SO important FA Youth Cup semi vs Man City did not warrant the lads going up the day before rather than face a 3+ hour long coach journey on the day of the game!

It is decisions of this kind, made by those running our club that for me rams the point home- under our current structure & the outlook/attitudes of those & their ilk within it, we shall never build to leave the Championship in the direction of upwards..

Amateurish beyond words.

Edited by Son of Fred

20 hours ago, Jimmo said:

Personally I thought he came across as an arrogant bell end in terms of his attitude to being on. I don’t mind hearing backed up views that might differ from mine, although I stopped listening to what he was coming out with after a while. Not sure I’d rush back to listen to another episode that had him on it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

It is decisions of this kind, made by those running our club that for me rams the point home- under our current structure & the outlook/attitudes of those & their ilk within it, we shall never build to leave the Championship in the direction of upwards..

Amateurish beyond words.

Very amateurish. 

We compromised the first team bench in favour of this competition but then couldn't stretch to putting the lads up in a hotel the night before? It just doesnt add up.

Had we of won then the ticket sales for the final at Ashton Gate would have paid for that. 

With all them injuries we picked up, these are questions that need to be asked. 

• Like 2

well i've just watched the podcast back, the first time i have seen it and if you have bellends like Lez on there then i won't be watching again.So up his own arse, he was constantly on i can only gather his phone, or trying to find something extremely small in his lap, who knows.

i was at sunderland on saturday and yes we played poorly for large parts but we also played a few decent spells. Mehmeti rightly subbed at half time,2 good runs and the rest rubbish from him, constantly pushed off the ball and very naive in his play.

twine was below par, pring so so, roberts hot and cold, tanner was probably the worst ive seen him play, stood off clark constantly to allow him to run at him, not the best way to defend against clark.

before the game i would of settled for a draw, after  i was rubbing my hands together with the point after we played the way we did. Thats a get out of jail day

Most exciting bit of the day was the landing back at heathrow on the evening flight,almost soiled myself

• Like 1