IGNORED

Performance or results

17 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We are safe with nothing to play for so now is the time Manning let’s us see what he has in store for us next season,the remaining games are about performance and will quite happy take defeats if we see improvement 

I don’t think Manning wants defeats on his record.

He's still to convince many supporters that he’s the right man for the job so I don’t get the impression he’ll be trying new things and experimenting while he’s in the position he is.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

He's still to convince many supporters that he’s the right man for the job so I don’t get the impression he’ll be trying new things and experimenting while he’s in the position he is.

If that's the case I think he has misread the room. Imo performances and attacking intent / style of play are far more important than a couple of dull 1-0 wins.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

We’ll certainly be a Championship club next season and I’d to see us finish as high as possible this time around and I’m certain that Manning will share that view and I’m not expecting any significant changes in the remaining 5 games. It’ll be more of the same.

Everyone knows that the summer ins and outs will have a significant impact on how we’ll do next season. Manning will have plenty of time ‘on the grass’ to get his methods over and only time will tell whether he is the right man for the job.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

If that's the case I think he has misread the room. Imo performances and attacking intent / style of play are far more important than a couple of dull 1-0 wins.

Apparently attacking intent only comes if the opposition allow that.  It’s not about “us”, according to Hoggy (who sings from the same hymn sheet as Manning).

That’s a slightly facetious comment, but with a large element of truth about it.

That’s what we have, a team / game-plan based on what the opposition allow us, rather than us imposing our style / identity.

I can’t wait! 😞 

• Like 14
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

he wont get a better chance to experiment than these last 5 games,proper championship competition as opposed to a few knockabout friendlies in the summer break. its a no brainer, unless he thinks hes getting his players he wants during the transfer window

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Apparently attacking intent only comes if the opposition allow that.  It’s not about “us”, according to Hoggy (who sings from the same hymn sheet as Manning).

That’s a slightly facetious comment, but with a large element of truth about it.

That’s what we have, a team / game-plan based on what the opposition allow us, rather than us imposing our style / identity.

I can’t wait! 😞 

Don't think Wednesday will be any different. Blackburn were happy with a 0-0 away point yesterday. I guess they will be happy with the same scoreline on Wednesday.

46 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you and would quite like to see Tommy and Nakhi up top together on Wednesday but from what we’ve seen so far, previous interviews etc. 

I don’t get the impression LM is of a mind to change what he’s doing and what he believes 

I want to see that we can impose ourselves on teams and not be passive and wait for the opposition to let us play. 
If we get performances, they would likely lead to results, but I want to see signs that next year will be worth the effort of going. 
Yesterday was an awful watch , Dickie missing was massive and so many having off days couldn't be expected. But after good early positive subs Vs Plymouth , we were back to waiting for 60 minutes and changing players and not plans. 
We could have put TC on for Twine and play 2 up top or 1 & 1 , anything to give them more problems. We were better in the 2nd half, but it felt like hanging on to what we had , rather than trying to win the game. With nothing really hanging on the result, that is disappointing . 

Not sure if Mehmeti got a knock , but swapping him for Cornick was odd . AM had supplied a few of the more interesting moments , if he had to come off we could have had another look at the other loanee . If Mebude isn't going to play from the bench and isn't going to play for U21s , I'm not sure why he hasn't been sent back. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Don't think Wednesday will be any different. Blackburn were happy with a 0-0 away point yesterday. I guess they will be happy with the same scoreline on Wednesday.

Not so sure SG.. they scored 5 away at Sunderland last week and 0-0 vs Southampton yesterday was a good result, John Eustace has them playing well. They'll be looking to win this one and Szmodic will be looking to add to his seasons tally for sure, and we can’t keep hoping for Max to save our sorry arses..

I would normally always prefer performance over result at any time of the season, I want to be entertained, unfortunately there has been very little ‘entertainment’ in the last five years irrespective of who the manager is, I’d like to see Manning make some brave team selections and display some bolder tactics in the last few games  though I’m not sure he has the personnel to change much

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t wait! 😞 

My interpretation of his comment was that they send the team out with the attacking intent, but the Championship is so tight that sometimes how the opposition play doesn’t allow it. 

I was actually quite pleased to hear that, and accept it to a degree, but my concern is that they rarely seem to be able to figure out a way to change it. 

I’d like to see them be much bolder and braver in their approach (pre-game and in game), but I’m just not sure they have it in them! 

Maybe it’s just me, but the modern game/coaches seem to massively over analyse, overthink and try to be too clever. 

Im not really sure what sort of team we are now, or what we are trying to be. 

Its a massive summer for him, and I think even some of the more patient fans will lose patience pretty quickly next season if there isn’t early signs of improvement in performances. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We are safe with nothing to play for so now is the time Manning let’s us see what he has in store for us next season,the remaining games are about performance and will quite happy take defeats if we see improvement 

Ideally I want both. Front foot, attacking football that is going to take us toward the top.  It’s what we were told was going to happen.  
Tbf to Manning at one point I didn’t think we’d have 54 points all season it was so bad so he’s pulled it back from that.   But at the start of the season I wanted 10th place minimum. Anything less to me is failure this season, it would’ve been with Pearson and will be with the Manning. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'll take results over performances for the last 5 games. Finish as high up the league as possible and instil some confidence for something to build on for next season. We have plenty of time in the summer to work on style. 

As somebody sitting through the next 270 minutes of football at Ashton Gate I hope Liam gives us something worth watching tbh. If it's like Swansea I'll be ******* off early again. Not watching that shite.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Very important for the top brass to finish higher in the table than where NP etc left us so I expect more of the same.

12 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I would normally always prefer performance over result at any time of the season, I want to be entertained, unfortunately there has been very little ‘entertainment’ in the last five years irrespective of who the manager is, I’d like to see Manning make some brave team selections and display some bolder tactics in the last few games  though I’m not sure he has the personnel to change much

Agreed. If the promise from the club management is that they will produce a shocking game of football accompanied with a 1-0 Binary Ball win or a 0-0 Binary Ball Draw or a 0-1 Binary Ball Defeat I can watch that without being as disappointed on the BBC Website at 4:55pm on a Saturday. Not to mention that if you produce good performance levels consistently this will almost certainly be followed by positive results and GOALS (the whole sodding point of football) consistently. Doesn't matter who replaced Pearson one of their tasks is to improve the football on offer - if you don't like it then shouldn't have taken the job (not saying that is Liam's view on it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t wait! 😞 

We've seen that when we play teams with a slightly more open formation, teams trying to take the game to us in a fluid way (often because they are needing points to cement their promotion credentials) we can exploit those gaps and score goals.

But, yer, your right. We never dictate play. We cannot take the front foot unless the opposition gives it to us.

• Like 1

I mean id rather we win as many games as possible and finish as high as we can. Pre season is his time to do what you're saying. I'll take 5 more really boring, awful, wish I didn't bother going 1-0 Swansea wins right now. 

In old money "book". In new money "iplayer". Could even read the MDT real time, and keep up abreast of the moaning. Maybe it will be light enough to keep up with the shenanigans of the seagulls in the first half.

Liam Manning vs John Eustace on Weds… should be interesting. LM inherited a team on the up six months ago, JE inherited a team in the doldrums early in Feb. You’d think that LM’s advantage of having more time on the grass, coupled with a better side on paper playing at home should be able to both put on a performance and win this one, however JE is a more experienced coach who has his team playing well in recent games. It’ll be interesting to see how the game plays out, Blackburn definitely will be and we definitely should be on the front foot and trying to win this one.

PS. The game earlier this season at their place was diabolical and we lost 2-1. LM was in charge for us on the day although JE was not there as he had not long been given the arse from Birmingham to allow Wayne Rooney to take over. Arguably the second most ridiculous change in manager for the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t wait! 😞 

*Shivers in end-of-LJ tenure remembrance.*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can get freak results but in the things even out & you get the results your performances deserve.

As things stand we are far better defending than attacking. In the remaining games I'd happily see you trade some points if it leads to us finding a way to be more potent going forward.

Not that I think this would happen, but if we achieved "success" (top 6 next season) but were dull as ditch water, would people accept that? 

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I agree, and with the reaction of the fans, who can blame him?! 

I'd like to see us experiment a bit, but if he does and gets bad results the fan base will get toxic, so it's not worth it.

Either way I expect a tough game. I think Blackburn are better than their league position, and just needed to shaken out of their slump.

53 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you and would quite like to see Tommy and Nakhi up top together on Wednesday but from what we’ve seen so far, previous interviews etc. 

I don’t get the impression LM is of a mind to change what he’s doing and what he believes 

Manning tried Tommy and Nahki together against Leeds and lots of comments on the match day thread were saying 'finally he's figured it out'. Didn't go well :whistle: 

7 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Not that I think this would happen, but if we achieved "success" (top 6 next season) but were dull as ditch water, would people accept that? 

The attitude this season of some Leicester fans gives you an inkling here. Lots of success, but there's a hardcore who are pretty vocal about unentertaining football. It gets louder when they lose, but it's been bubbling under all season.

So i'd expect that there would be a few "people" saying stuff like "we're in a great position but I'm bored..." or "all this success has come at the price of entertainment". Stuff like that.

19 minutes ago, Negan said:

I mean id rather we win as many games as possible and finish as high as we can. Pre season is his time to do what you're saying. I'll take 5 more really boring, awful, wish I didn't bother going 1-0 Swansea wins right now. 

Do you really think that he would change anything preseason if we finished with five boring 1-0 Swansea style wins ?

That would be seen as his style and beliefs being the right ones and bringing results.

If that happened then buckle up for more of the same next season !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I agree, and with the reaction of the fans, who can blame him?! 

I'd like to see us experiment a bit, but if he does and gets bad results the fan base will get toxic, so it's not worth it.

Either way I expect a tough game. I think Blackburn are better than their league position, and just needed to shaken out of their slump.

Manning tried Tommy and Nahki together against Leeds and lots of comments on the match day thread were saying 'finally he's figured it out'. Didn't go well :whistle: 

I’d suggest they are probably one of the most inappropriate teams to actually try it against in the division 

• Like 1