IGNORED

Performance or results

18 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We didn’t win but that was a far better performance than we have seen for a long time including the wins over Leicester and Southampton,I doff my cap to the manager and players and hope for more of the same 

I enjoyed today, whether it was better than Leicester is up for debate.  Happily give LM and players credit today, good job done.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I enjoyed today, whether it was better than Leicester is up for debate.  Happily give LM and players credit today, good job done.

It was a 90 minute performance good on and off the ball where it wasn’t against Leicester and the sitters they missed,granted you have to take into account Leicester are a better side than Norwich but all round today is what we want to see going forward 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think that's 3 wins and 3 draws from our last 6 games, and 3 of those were very good performances.

I'd say 4 enjoyable performances personally, e.g. Plymouth perhaps the least eye catching of the 4 but after weathering an early storm we looked decent- important too given the aforementioned variable record and performances vs bottom third sides 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Yes, was really pleased to see City fighting till the end even if, as the commentator kept saying, we have nothing to play for. The difference has been that we’ve not been playing the tedious stuff we were witnessing. 
 I’ve believed we’ve got some great players I just hope we can get the most out of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

One of the most encouraging performances under Manning I thought.

It does puzzle me though that we seem to play less conservatively against the better teams than against the poorer ones.

Think it’s that the better sides (generally) are intent on playing their game / imposing their game and most of the bunch up the top are “footballing” teams…so they let you play too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it’s that the better sides (generally) are intent on playing their game / imposing their game and most of the bunch up the top are “footballing” teams…so they let you play too.

Certainly you will get more chance to play against better teams but if the opposition is playing conservatively it seems to me you need to be more aggressive, pressing higher to force errors. Instead we tend to turn passive, passing the ball around at a slow tempo. Which suits them fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Certainly you will get more chance to play against better teams but if the opposition is playing conservatively it seems to me you need to be more aggressive, pressing higher to force errors. Instead we tend to turn passive, passing the ball around at a slow tempo. Which suits them fine.

That I hope is the evolution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That I hope is the evolution.

Plymouth and Blackburn as well as being 3 points and clean sheets felt important for this reason. We won in different ways but we deserved both.

Huddersfield, big step back but we at least had some pressure 2nd half and gained a perhaps fortunate penalty but the evolution in intent feels key.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought it was better than Leicester. I agree with @joe jordans teeth that yesterday was a more even and consistent performance across the 90 minutes. We matched Norwich nicely and I think there were fewer "oh shit" moments.

It was a nice performance yesterday, an away draw is always a good result. But I still think we'll need to be slightly better to properly challenge for a top 6 spot.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes that’s definitely been our weakness and definitely what we need to work on. If we can sort that out, then we should see real change. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I thought it was better than Leicester. I agree with @joe jordans teeth that yesterday was a more even and consistent performance across the 90 minutes. We matched Norwich nicely and I think there were fewer "oh shit" moments.

It was a nice performance yesterday, an away draw is always a good result. But I still think we'll need to be slightly better to properly challenge for a top 6 spot.

Agree and I said the same, it was the effort across the 90 minutes yesterday which impressed and surprised me, they really did play with a freedom we’ve not seen and didn’t look like a team who had nothing to play for. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes that’s definitely been our weakness and definitely what we need to work on. If we can sort that out, then we should see real change. 

Next week will be interesting. Rotherham will defend deep, disrupt the game and launch balls forward early. I want to see us beat these next week and put this “issue” of struggling against poor sides to bed with 7 points in three home games against lower ranked sides (plus the three points at Plymouth).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chinapig said:

One of the most encouraging performances under Manning I thought.

It does puzzle me though that we seem to play less conservatively against the better teams than against the poorer ones.

Evert fan in the land will tell you "We always struggle against the bottom tams".

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Next week will be interesting. Rotherham will defend deep, disrupt the game and launch balls forward early. I want to see us beat these next week and put this “issue” of struggling against poor sides to bed with 7 points in three home games against lower ranked sides (plus the three points at Plymouth).

Realistically we won’t get a better opportunity to do so. I’ve been banging the drum of performance over results for some time, and although I didn’t watch yesterday, glad to see that we by common consensus played very well - and at this stage I’d rather that than a grubby 1-0 win.

As for Rotherham, although they may be a side of that nature, results to date indicate that they’re not the best at it. If you want to “learn” how to play against a team of that ilk at this level (notwithstanding the Evans factor) there won’t be a better opportunity to do so.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Realistically we won’t get a better opportunity to do so. I’ve been banging the drum of performance over results for some time, and although I didn’t watch yesterday, glad to see that we by common consensus played very well - and at this stage I’d rather that than a grubby 1-0 win.

As for Rotherham, although they may be a side of that nature, results to date indicate that they’re not the best at it. If you want to “learn” how to play against a team of that ilk at this level (notwithstanding the Evans factor) there won’t be a better opportunity to do so.

The big issue next week is the Steve Evans effect….in effect they ground out a 0-0 with Brum yesterday, and his players are in the shop window or casting couch for next season.  Likely to be an interesting encounter, and one we are unlikely to have it all our own way.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You’re right will be a very good test. 

20 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I thought the away defeat at Ipswich was also an excellent performance 

Agree. It does appear that for most it’s actually the performance over the result that matters. It makes sense though, because performance is what will get us up the table and encourages fans to “believe”, not playing poorly and just praying we snatch a lucky win.