IGNORED

Mathematical Certainty

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Just saying…

We achieved mathematical safety last season on April 15th, game 42 of the season.

Tomorrow is game 42 of this season.

Last season we actually had enough points, 45, by the end of February, game 34 I think, but still people were worrying right into April.

it’s not just points ahead of the team 3rd from bottom to look at but also how many teams lie between you and them, they’re not all going to win every game while we lose every game.

I’ve not been concerned at all this season, even at the end of the bad run we always had quite a few teams below us. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Last season we actually had enough points, 45, by the end of February, game 34 I think, but still people were worrying right into April.

it’s not just points ahead of the team 3rd from bottom to look at but also how many teams lie between you and them, they’re not all going to win every game while we lose every game.

I’ve not been concerned at all this season, even at the end of the bad run we always had quite a few teams below us. 

Well, 7th March….0-0 away to Huddersfield.

But that wasn’t ‘mathematically’ safe at that time, in hindsight we now know that it was but that’s not what we’re talking about. I don’t think people were too worried last season as our performances and results improved consistently from Jan onwards. Something that can’t be said this season.

It wasn’t until our 2-0 defeat at Watford that other results meant that we couldn’t possibly go down no matter how the rest of the season panned out.

With enough games left in the season, teams below you is irrelevant as is bookies odds. I personally only felt really concerned when the results started coming in later in the afternoon after our defeat to Cardiff. Even then I knew we had plenty of time to sort it out even if performances weren’t promising.

Either way Im happy we’ve avoided the embarrassment of relegation this season and I hope LM can prove me wrong next season.

13 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Well, 7th March….0-0 away to Huddersfield.

But that wasn’t ‘mathematically’ safe at that time, in hindsight we now know that it was but that’s not what we’re talking about. I don’t think people were too worried last season as our performances and results improved consistently from Jan onwards. Something that can’t be said this season.

It wasn’t until our 2-0 defeat at Watford that other results meant that we couldn’t possibly go down no matter how the rest of the season panned out.

With enough games left in the season, teams below you is irrelevant as is bookies odds. I personally only felt really concerned when the results started coming in later in the afternoon after our defeat to Cardiff. Even then I knew we had plenty of time to sort it out even if performances weren’t promising.

Either way Im happy we’ve avoided the embarrassment of relegation this season and I hope LM can prove me wrong next season.

Yes I wasn’t criticising your post just looking at it from a different view which may have been quite surprising to some. I do make it the 25th of February with a 1-0 win over Hull though.

I think it’s the first time in my 48 years of supporting City that we’ve had such a long period of mid table finishes. There was a time when I craved it, especially in the Championship, now I’m getting a little bit bored of it but be careful what you wish for I suppose.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes I wasn’t criticising your post just looking at it from a different view which may have been quite surprising to some. I do make it the 25th of February with a 1-0 win over Hull though.

I think it’s the first time in my 48 years of supporting City that we’ve had such a long period of mid table finishes. There was a time when I craved it, especially in the Championship, now I’m getting a little bit bored of it but be careful what you wish for I suppose.

Definitely Huddersfield for 45 points, Hull got us to 44 although without looking we could’ve been ok with goal difference (although losing literally every game for the rest of that season would’ve dented that 🤣). In fairness end of February is pretty accurate so your more or less spot on. At the end of this season we’ll know the result that made us truly safe. I believe it will be the Swansea match.

Every season I just hope we can get to 35 points+ by Christmas, you can relax a bit, enjoy your turkey and hope that the rest of the season will produce a bit of excitement at the right end of the table. Doesn’t happen too often for us in the Championship unfortunately mate.

• Like 1

After it was clear that Nige wasn't getting a warchest, my predictions were that we'd finish 10-12th, and so if we finish 11th I'd be pretty comfortable with that.

That would be another year of league position improvement and a respectable top half mid table position. 

Just saw a wow stat on Twitter, only 3 teams in the football league have lost more games than us over the past 5 seasons - no wonder there is apathy and a sigh of relief that we are “safe”. It’s an astounding stat when you consider the basket case clubs in the league currently. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Just saw a wow stat on Twitter, only 3 teams in the football league have lost more games than us over the past 5 seasons - no wonder there is apathy and a sigh of relief that we are “safe”. It’s an astounding stat when you consider the basket case clubs in the league currently. 

Who are the three? If I had to guess they would be Stoke, Birmingham and Huddersfield, maybe Reading.

It's not that surprising seeing as we've been bottom half of the same league without getting relegated to an easier league

Sometimes you think you are safe and that the results needed to create the swing won’t happen.  Some times you think fifty points will see you over the line.  Some times you laugh so hard you have tears that roll down your cheek. 

IMG_9792.jpeg

• Haha 14

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Who are the three? If I had to guess they would be Stoke, Birmingham and Huddersfield, maybe Reading.

It's not that surprising seeing as we've been bottom half of the same league without getting relegated to an easier league

Birmingham, Reading, Doncaster then us. Shocked me a bit 

11 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Sometimes you think you are safe and that the results needed to create the swing won’t happen.  Some times you think fifty points will see you over the line.  Some times you laugh so hard you have tears that roll down your cheek. 

IMG_9792.jpeg

How did they manage to get relegated with a GD of only -11 , it's worse this season during their promotion chase ffs

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

IMG_9792.jpeg

Particularly when you have a pitch invasion to celebrate reaching ‘safety’ and pushing your hosts into the relegation spots, only for them to leapfrog you the next week, after you’re beaten at home by a team wearing your spare kit.

That’s a gift that will be savoured for ever, as I can’t see something so unbelievable and totally hilarious ever happening again!

We should be forever thankful to the 15ers for that absolute gem.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

IMG_9792.jpeg

Shows that you can be relegated with 50pts even with only 2 down.

Even this season only Rotherham currently have less than a point per game in the Championship. So I think it could be 48-50 points needed to stay up. It will be great to watch especially from a place of safety. Could easily be 6-7 teams involved on the last day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

So presumably - seeing as we've probably only once been in danger of relegation in that time - we've won quite a few, and haven't drawn very many?

Theoretically a team could win 16, lose 30, and they'd likely still stay up on 48 points.

As I said on another thread - wins are far more important than losses.

On 11/04/2024 at 06:22, ExiledAjax said:

At FT as well.

Almost out of the play offs but not quite. The maximum we can now get is 69 (nice), and Norwich in 6th have 68.

and now mathematically confirmed to be in this league next season, play offs officially out of reach