IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

18 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

That's an improvement. Best thing would be to go back to six pools of four teams though. Pool winners and two best runner ups through to the quarters. Top four have home advantage then a free draw for the semi finals. Easy.

I thought the old format was dull tbh.  Loads of dead rubbers as only 3 of the 2nd place sides qualified.   Rugby is very poor at organising itself.  Leinster getting to the final was like a procession.  All 4 knock out games at home, including the final.  What a joke.

His general point is well founded though.  What's the common denominator between  Gallagher Premiership and URC???

That's your answer to what is going on behind the scenes.

Edited by The Bard

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I thought the old format was dull tbh.  Loads of dead rubbers as only 3 of the 2nd place sides qualified.   Rugby is very poor at organising itself.  Leinster getting to the final was like a procession.  All 4 knock out games at home, including the final.  What a joke.

His general point is well founded though.  What's the common denominator between EPCR, Gallagher Premiership and URC???

That's your answer to what is going on behind the scenes.

Disagree about the old format. I think it was really cutthroat. The new format is rubbish, although I quite liked the two-legged round of 16 against all the odds!

Agree about Leinster's run. Fair enough that the final is in Dublin, but I'd like a random draw for the semi finals at least.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Rugby’s getting what it deserves in this country. Far too much self interest and old boys networks has led us here. 

RFU has to take a very sizeable share of the blame, they lost control of the elite clubs and let the Championship to rot. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Rugby’s getting what it deserves in this country. Far too much self interest and old boys networks has led us here. 

RFU has to take a very sizeable share of the blame, they lost control of the elite clubs and let the Championship to rot. 

Weird as it seemed destined for big things a few years ago.

Needs a complete reset for sure. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Weird as it seemed destined for big things a few years ago.

Needs a complete reset for sure. 

Problem being, in that time Covid restrictions put an arrow through it financially at club level.  Losing the wage cap may have helped some clubs, but just made the likes of Bristol (who were not a million miles off being cost neutral) uncompetitive overnight - though they did cock up with contracts. So all the wage cap reduction is harm everyone, and not solve the problem. 

Clubs can’t compete with French club’s financially, Irish sides for strength and we’re now seeing that reflected internationally as well.

Personally I think the club game is going to die, and a franchise system will replace it, probably having elite regional teams.

• Like 2

Mate of mine was first team physio at wasps, now at Irish. Talk about how’s your luck. 

He/all staff have been asked to stick it out until end of month as they think they could strike a deal with a buyer. Everyone owed 2 months wages. 

It’s only gonna end one way isn’t it sadly. 

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Mate of mine was first team physio at wasps, now at Irish. Talk about how’s your luck. 

He/all staff have been asked to stick it out until end of month as they think they could strike a deal with a buyer. Everyone owed 2 months wages. 

It’s only gonna end one way isn’t it sadly. 

Shit. Poor guy.  Hope everyone involved can find other gigs as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Shit. Poor guy.  Hope everyone involved can find other gigs as quickly as possible.

They’re all finding jobs really fast. Especially physios as they can just do freelance. He’s actually interviewing with City soon, loves Rugby but basically can’t confidently get a job in this country anymore, has had offers abroad but doesn’t wanna do it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Problem being, in that time Covid restrictions put an arrow through it financially at club level.  Losing the wage cap may have helped some clubs, but just made the likes of Bristol (who were not a million miles off being cost neutral) uncompetitive overnight - though they did cock up with contracts. So all the wage cap reduction is harm everyone, and not solve the problem. 

Clubs can’t compete with French club’s financially, Irish sides for strength and we’re now seeing that reflected internationally as well.

Personally I think the club game is going to die, and a franchise system will replace it, probably having elite regional teams.

You could be right given the incompetence of those in charge.  If they were smart they would look to create a franchise system sitting on top of club rugby where the clubs don't bankrupt themselves and are full of emerging English talent.  That would provide a supply of players into the franchise league where they could play next to the likes of Charles Piatau.  Some of these would then go off to international rugby whilst the others return to club rugby when the competition isn't being played.   

Apologies if it has been covered but what did Bears do last season to compensate those with STs for two fewer games once Wasps and Worcester went?

And what were the ST prices for 2023/24 vs 2022/23 … especially as you’d already lost 2 games and now with Irish there’s a third gone?

9 home league games over an 8/9 month season is really poor. 

• Admin
13 hours ago, t_b said:

Apologies if it has been covered but what did Bears do last season to compensate those with STs for two fewer games once Wasps and Worcester went?

And what were the ST prices for 2023/24 vs 2022/23 … especially as you’d already lost 2 games and now with Irish there’s a third gone?

9 home league games over an 8/9 month season is really poor. 

I am sure they had friendly fixtures instead, didn't they play Cardiff?

PS not just league matches, it includes two European pool fixtures and three Premiership cup matches

image.png

image.png

• Admin

London Irish have been granted an extra week by the Rugby Football Union to complete a takeover of the club.

Irish's owners have been in protracted talks with an American consortium over the sale of the Premiership side.

However, a deadline of 30 May had been set by the RFU, otherwise the club risked suspension from the Premiership.

But it is understood another week has now been allowed, as long as the current ownership are able to pay wages on Wednesday.

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

London Irish have been granted an extra week by the Rugby Football Union to complete a takeover of the club.

Irish's owners have been in protracted talks with an American consortium over the sale of the Premiership side.

However, a deadline of 30 May had been set by the RFU, otherwise the club risked suspension from the Premiership.

But it is understood another week has now been allowed, as long as the current ownership are able to pay wages on Wednesday.

How embarrassing it would be for the RFU for another biggish club to go!

Still amazed that Saracens got away with one year exile. Did they really cut their wage bill?

12 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Shit for Irish. Feel sorry for all the staff and fans.

They're going to have to restructure Europe. We can't give eight of ten Premiership clubs Heineken Cup places.

I think they should give Challenge cup places to Jersey and Ealing.  I suspect they'd do okay as they'd be bang up for it.

• Like 1