IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers at home match thread

Well looks like the usual suspects have gone a tad early in writing off Manning the club, owners and whoever has the balls to stand up for the club. Still expect some scorn though, i.e how poor Blackburn were, but they had plenty to play for, we didn't, hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel, no need for a mass clear out a few additions and we should be fine.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mozo said:

Shit! Air Friers is on?!!

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a must see. I learnt how to make Halloumi wrapped in Cornflakes the other day and according to Marcus Brigstocke, who wasn’t getting paid to say this, it was “delicious”. 

Sod the football, get me the ninja.

And to think you nearly tempted me away from the game tonight!

• Haha 1

Blackburn were absolutely terrible... but how many times have we said that over the last few years and come away with nothing, let alone a 5 - 0 win? You still have to beat them, and we absolutely put them to the sword. Yes, they made mistakes - but we forced the mistakes. Earlier in Manning's rein we wouldn't have been looking to force them, and wouldn't have been in a position to capitalise on them either. He's changed that, and for the better.

Well done City. Great performance, just what we needed, and set up in just the right way to take advantage of Blackburn's frailties so credit to Manning and the coaching staff. The fact Blackburn were so poor shouldn't take away from that imo.

I'm enjoying the football more lately. More direct, getting the ball up the pitch quickly, pressing more at the front, forcing mistakes, and a bit of grit in the middle from Williams and Knight. If he can take the best bits of what Pearson was doing, and add his own flavour to it that'll do me.

I'm not a Manning convert yet, but we're edging in the right direction. Hopefully we'll have got even closer by the end of the season.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 8
8 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Superb City, God-awful Blackburn.

Imagine coming all the way down to witness your relegation-haunted team get horsewhipped like that.

Their final four fixtures - Leeds, Sheff W., Coventry, Leicester. They’re in deep scat.

It was the sort of display that ends with the visiting fans being reimbursed.

• Like 1

Decent that. I’ll forgive Manning his FA coach book bingo interview, based on that match. 

High energy, fast paced and positive performance that, to which a surprisingly totally lack-lustre and lethargic Blackburn had no answer.

No farting around at the back and looked pretty comfortable in/out of possession in a back 5/3. Maybe he’s stumbled on something that works well just like a couple of our previous managers through a key player injury? All good.

8 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Blackburn were absolutely terrible... but how many times have we said that over the last few years and come away with nothing, let alone a 5 - 0 win? You still have to beat them, and we absolutely put them to the sword. Yes, they made mistakes - but we forced the mistakes. Earlier in Manning's rein we wouldn't have been looking to force them, and wouldn't have been in a position to capitalise on them either. He's changed that, and for the better.

Well done City. Great performance, just what we needed, and set up in just the right way to take advantage of Blackburn's frailties so credit to Manning and the coaching staff. The fact Blackburn were so poor shouldn't take away from that imo.

I'm enjoying the football more lately. More direct, getting the ball up the pitch quickly, pressing more at the front, forcing mistakes, and a bit of grit in the middle from Williams and Knight. If he can take the best bits of what Pearson was doing, and add his own flavour to it that'll do me.

I'm not a Manning convert yet, but we're edging in the right direction. Hopefully we'll have got even closer by the end of the season.

We’re definitely mixing it up a lot more- I saw a few times Sykes and Conway showing some frustration (in a good way) that their runs weren’t picked out with a quick ball over the top. Light years better than the turgid football of not too many games ago. 

Not fully a Manning convert, yet, but one of my biggest concerns was how rigidly we stuck to a single style of football. If he’s worked out that the current side can thrive with a bit of direct play thrown in too, then fair play.  

• Like 3

Suprised Haydon Roberts isn’t part Brazilian, silky footballer.

Williams x Knight doing something for me, combative, mobile and composed when regaining possession. 

Brilliant goal off the bench for Mehmeti. 

Brace for each of our strikers and another clean sheet. Couldn’t ask for more! 

P.S. Nice little cameo for JKL, didn’t have much to do but didn’t do anything wrong either, good for him. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Harvey86 said:

We’re definitely mixing it up a lot more- I saw a few times Sykes and Conway showing some frustration (in a good way) that their runs weren’t picked out with a quick ball over the top. Light years better than the turgid football of not too many games ago. 

Not fully a Manning convert, yet, but one of my biggest concerns was how rigidly we stuck to a single style of football. If he’s worked out that the current side can thrive with a bit of direct play thrown in too, then fair play.  

Yep, agreed - the first two goals came from the chipped ball up the wing/into the channels we saw a lot earlier in the season (and imo were doing too often in fact), which we then basically stopped entirely. We're mixing it up a bit more and all the better for it.

• Like 2
Just now, IAmNick said:

Yep, agreed - the first two goals came from the chipped ball up the wing/into the channels we saw a lot earlier in the season (and imo were doing too often in fact), which we then basically stopped entirely. We're mixing it up a bit more and all the better for it.

Clearly been worked on as well. Passes for the first and last goals were both spot on. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I take the general point.

However would point out that Hyam playing suicide ball for the first, and MacFadzean pretending to be a basketball player, were not 'forced' by us - that was their own unforced errors.

2nd and 3rd - 100%, good pressuring.

By the 5th they'd already capitulated.

• Like 2

hes finally doing what a lot of posters have been calling for    for quite a while and its worked a treat tonight. let the opposition worry about you and you will get more time to pick your passes and get into better positions. fair play to manning,took the reins off and let them have a go. brilliant result

• Like 3

Positive goal difference, from minus one to plus four in one night. Goal difference now better than Man United and Chelsea. Let’s not forget that Blackburn beat us at their place. A game to enjoy, as for the Wells goal … reasons to be cheerful part 5.. COYR

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

I take the general point.

However would point out that Hyam playing suicide ball for the first, and MacFadzean pretending to be a basketball player, were not 'forced' by us - that was their own unforced errors.

2nd and 3rd - 100%, good pressuring.

By the 5th they'd already capitulated.

Do you think there's a chance though that as the 1st and 2nd goals came from near identical balls that was planned? Conway on the first, Sykes on the second. Same ball, same defender, mistake from him both times.

You have to be playing the ball and have a player there ready to capitalise on it - and I'm not sure we would have done around Christmas time. So yeah, Conway didn't literally force him into playing that shit backpass, but he was in the right place to take advantage of it.

Agreed about MacFadzean.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Do you think there's a chance though that as the 1st and 2nd goals came from near identical balls that was planned? Conway on the first, Sykes on the second. Same ball, same defender, mistake from him both times.

You have to be playing the ball and have a player there ready to capitalise on it - and I'm not sure we would have done around Christmas time. So yeah, Conway didn't literally force him into playing that shit backpass, but he was in the right place to take advantage of it.

Agreed about MacFadzean.

I'm loath to infer much too much from today in general to be honest.

After the first, Hyams confidence was gone as the rest of the match proved.

I was boggled when Eustace kept Hyam on with Carter on the bench, and then subbing Wharton.