IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers at home match thread

16 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

hes finally doing what a lot of posters have been calling for    for quite a while and its worked a treat tonight. let the opposition worry about you and you will get more time to pick your passes and get into better positions. fair play to manning,took the reins off and let them have a go. brilliant result

I don’t want to detract from tonight, but second half on Saturday picked tonight’s team, rather than trying to match-up.  Was always gonna be Tanner / Vyner / Roberts in a back-3  I’m happy with that, but as you suggest, it can go to show what “focus on us” can do.  I’m not saying it’s formation, just that “this is the team we’ve got to select, so let’s focus on executing with it”.

There was a spell first half before we went 1-0 where they did break the lines a few times, but they never really threatened us.

• Like 4

I'd like to personally congratulate  Dominic Hyam for one of the most inept performances I've seen from a visiting centre back.

Why Eustace kept him on at half time and took Wharton off is anyone's guess, but he was able to cluster it again with our third (just like the first 2) in the second half.

Thank you Dominic for an entertaining display 👏 👏👏

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Maybe penalties don’t count as shots?

Pens clearly don't as they don't count as clear cut chances either.

At two nil up (and just before Sykes tried to dink it past the on rushing keeper from 20 yards) Sky had us down as having had no clear cut chances. 

Just after said Sykes attempt, Sky has us as having had one clear cut chance. 

So apparently one on one's inside the box (i.e. Conway's first goal) don't count as clear cut chances but shits from outside the box do 🤔

Screenshot_20240410_202502_Scores.jpg

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Ian M said:

It’s a pity some City fans are more interested in preserving a “them and us” divide and claiming superfan status than just enjoying what was an excellent performance.

Agree. I think we’ll have this for the rest of the year sadly!!

Just now, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

I know Blackburn were poor but for me it showed what we've been missing without twine-someone that can handle the ball between the lines and actually unlock defences. Not sure bird is that type (think he's more of a sitter/james replacement) so along with the striker getting twine or similar is crucial to our chances next season 

He tried a few threaded balls and long shots which didn't come off, but you want players trying these things.

• Like 2

Matt Smith, Lee Mack, Billy Beaumont, loads of dour old blokes in flat caps! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Sir Jack Walker. Can you hear me Sir Jack Walker?! Your boys took one hell of a beating. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, spudski said:

City absolutely strolled that. 

It was like a training session. So relaxed. No pressure what so ever. 

Good win...but jeez...that's the worst performance from an away side I've seen in a long time. And they finished 7th last season. 

That goes along with the Fulham "team" of 68-69 which we strolled to a 6-0 win  without getting out of third gear, as the poorest opposition I've seen (or at least remember). But I don't care we won and it's GREAT !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can't knock the current run of results. Blackburn looked like a team that relaxed (or were tired) after a run of high pressure games- but you can only beat whats in front of you.

I've said for a while that Anis has been written off too early & for me he's been out best attacking outlet for a couple of months now - all hail the Albanian Prince! 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Pip King said:

All Quiet on the Weston Front

Said to him on another post that he was very quick to criticise and slow to praise and tonight is the proof, he must be hiding on Weston Pier tonight with Shergar and Lord Lucan.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

4 games to go and every side in the top half can still go up mathematically, while every side in the bottom half can still go down.

Such a crazy league

Screenshot_20240410_220849_Samsung Internet.jpg

After the Southampton game I got laughed at on here by suggesting we could get play offs. 

Too many teams would all have had to of dropped points etc they said. Totally impossible they said. 

I got laughed at and riducled for suggesting the play offs were in our own hands. 

Well had we beaten QPR, Sheffield Wed, Cardiff and Sunderland following the Southampton win, which I firmly believe we had the ability to do as they are all poor teams, we'd now also be sitting on 68 points. 71 if we had beaten West Brom.

It was very much in our own hands after all. 

Great result and performance tonight. Just what I wanted to see but there is a bitter taste in the mouth still about how this season got wrote off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 9
2 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Well looks like the usual suspects have gone a tad early in writing off Manning the club, owners and whoever has the balls to stand up for the club. Still expect some scorn though, i.e how poor Blackburn were, but they had plenty to play for, we didn't, hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel, no need for a mass clear out a few additions and we should be fine.

Manning no. 

Owners yes. Not to early though. Too late.

• Flames 1
7 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Superb City, God-awful Blackburn.

Imagine coming all the way down to witness your relegation-haunted team get horsewhipped like that.

Their final four fixtures - Leeds, Sheff W., Coventry, Leicester. They’re in deep scat.

I did feel sorry for them, only to quickly remember it happening to us quite a few times away too. Preston away for example I won't forget.

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

After the Southampton game I got laughed at on here by suggesting we could get play offs. 

Too many teams would all have had to of dropped points etc they said. Totally impossible they said. 

I got laughed at and riducled for suggesting the play offs were in our own hands. 

Well had we beaten QPR, Sheffield Wed, Cardiff and Sunderland following the Southampton win, which I firmly believe we had the ability to do as they are all poor teams, we'd now also be sitting on 68 points. 71 if we had beaten West Brom.

Great result and performance tonight. Just what I wanted to see but there is a bitter taste in the mouth still about how this season got wrote off. 

So you have been the most negative poster for months, you now manage to quote perhaps one of the few positive comments you may have made and turn that into a negative comment, must be the sea air. 

Ps hope you did not miss last night as you said you would not be bothering going to the last games as you had enough.

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Such a stupid post.

Yes, the play offs were mathematically in our own hands at that point. That’s objectively true. But most people didn’t think we would gain enough of the points available in order to secure a play off spot - and they were proven right. We didn’t.

Coming on here and saying “if we’d won all these other games that we didn’t, we’d have been in the play offs, so look how right I was” isn’t the clever point you think it is.

• Like 9