IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers at home match thread

Last season we shared the points https://youtu.be/6G9i7dyY6Vw

Back in December we lost 2-1 at their place highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/highlights/extended-highlights-blackburn-rovers-2-1-bristol-city/

In July Villarreal announced the signing of Ben Brereton following the expiry of his contract with Blackburn Rovers. Brereton signed for the La Liga club on a free transfer, agreeing a four-year contract. He joined Rovers from Nottingham Forest, initially on loan, with move made permanent in January 2019 for a fee of £6m.

They signed goalkeeper Leopold Wahlstedt from Norwegian side Odds Ballklubb for an undisclosed fee, as a replacement for Thomas Kaminski.

On deadline day they signed Bournemouth's England Under-21 international defender James Hill on a season-long loan and German striker Semir Telalovic from Borussia Monchengladbach. The 23-year-old joined on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee, with the option to extend his stay at Ewood Park for another 12 months beyond June 2026.

In December forward Arnor Sigurdsson signed a permanent deal until the end of 2025. The 24-year-old was signed on an initial 12-month deal in June from Russian club CSKA Moscow.

In the January window they signed Brighton midfielder Yasin Ayari and Aston Villa defender Ben Chrisene on loan. Sweden international Ayari, 20, played 13 Championship games for Coventry on loan this season, while Chrisene, 19, was on loan at Kilmarnock last season.

They also signed defender Kyle McFadzean from Coventry City on a short-term deal until the end of the season.

They were founder members of the football league, and in September played their 5,000 league game.

Head-to-head record

Won: 22

Lost: 17

Drawn: 14

Officials

Ref: Sam Allison, assisted by Richard Wild and Ian Cooper. Fourth Official : Tom Nield.

We are 8th in the form league with 10 points from the last 18 available, they are 14th with 7 points from their last six games. They are currently 16th in the table on 46 points.

Match review https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/blackburn-rovers/preview/preview-bristol-city-vs-blackburn-prediction-team-news-lineups_540861.html

John Eustace was named head coach in February, just 35 minutes after Jon Dahl Tomasson's departure by mutual consent. The 44-year-old signed a two-and-a-half year-deal with Rovers, his first post since he was dismissed by Birmingham City in October. Eustace inherited a Blackburn side without a win in their past eight Championship games.

Where would they be this season without Sammie Szmodics? He has scored 29 (in all competitions) so far this season.

The attacking midfielder put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal until June 2025 in the summer of 2022, becoming the third signing of the Jon Dahl Tomasson era.

Born in Colchester, Szmodics started his career with his hometown team, scoring 38 goals in 162 appearances for the U’s, whilst also finishing as the club’s top scorer in successive seasons.

In June 2019, his 16-year association with Colchester United came to an end, as he signed for us for an undisclosed fee. After finding opportunities limited at Ashton Gate, Szmodics made a January loan move to Peterborough, where he scored four goals in his first five games.

Following his successful loan spell, and with clubs circling for his signature, his move to London Road was made permanent in September 2020, with Szmodics joining Peterborough on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The high-energy midfielder enjoyed an impressive maiden season as a permanent Peterborough player in 2020-21, netting 15 league goals in 40 starts, helping Posh secure automatic promotion to the Championship.

COYR.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Robin 1

I’m sure that with a Blackburn thread we’ll have the “what if” scenario of Sammy Szmodics. What if LJ hadn’t signed Kasey Palmer the year he also signed Sammy? It keeps cropping up, which isn’t surprising 

PS - I’ve just started it

Edited by pongo88

Wondering how many of us will be going down tonight for what is effectively a dead rubber for us, though Blackburn are too close to the drop zone for comfort.

A few won't be bothered to go to a midweek end of season game where we have little more than pride to play for, but fans are feeling a bit more positive after netting 7 points from the last 9. I can't see too many Blackburn fans making the trip either.

Anyone got the ticket sales figures as we normally get 20,000+ for most games these days, even though the real 'bums on seats' figures are probably nearer to 15/16k on occasions.

With Kal, Atkinson and Dickie out I'd see if JKL looks ready to play understudy next season. I think Liam will continue with Tanner/Roberts/both with Vyner at centre half though. I'd go:

MOL

JKL            Vyner          Roberts

McCrorie           James           Knight                 Pring

Twine                                   Mehmeti

Conway                    

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’m sure that with a Blackburn thread we’ll have the “what if” scenario of Sammy Szmodics. What if LJ hadn’t signed Kasey Palmer the year he also signed Sammy? It keeps cropping up, which isn’t surprising 

PS - I’ve just started it

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/how-sammie-szmodics-proved-right-9214885

• Like 1

Had a dream last night that we won 8-1, Nahki Wells scored 4 in 5 minutes and I played the first half. What I couldn’t get my head around, was that we were playing Lincoln. :dunno:

Going for 4-2 city win like we did many years ago. David Speedie scored for Blackburn. 
Some strange reason I’m looking forward to it tonight, COYR

Edited by Red Army 75
37 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

With Kal, Atkinson and Dickie out I'd see if JKL looks ready to play understudy next season. I think Liam will continue with Tanner/Roberts/both with Vyner at centre half though. I'd go:

MOL

JKL            Vyner          Roberts

McCrorie           James           Knight                 Pring

Twine                                   Mehmeti

Conway                    

On screen that looks like you have Pring wide on the right. Almost on another pitch.

Brave move. Don’t think Manning will go for that.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Had a dream last night that we won 8-1, Nahki Wells scored 4 in 5 minutes and I played the first half. What I couldn’t get my head around, was that we were playing Lincoln. :dunno:

Going for 4-2 city win like we did many years ago. David Speedie scored for Blackburn. 

What cheese did you have before bedtime?

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Sometimes just the sheer joy you get from seeing your team win is enough, I would say a very large percentage of the games I have watched city in have had nothing at stake yet I have either left the ground with a smile on my face or been thoroughly downhearted, it just shows you care.

There is only one game that springs to mind for me when playing Blackburn. First game back in the old Division 2 after the 1990 promotion. Blackburn seemed a tough ask, packed Ashton Gate, 4-2 win with Bob scoring two. All looked so bright and then bloody Hearts came along.

(Btw for those of you who didn’t see Dave Smith in action check the fourth goal. Try keeping up with that)

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There is only one game that springs to mind for me when playing Blackburn. First game back in the old Division 2 after the 1990 promotion. Blackburn seemed a tough ask, packed Ashton Gate, 4-2 win with Bob scoring two. All looked so bright and then bloody Hearts came along.

(Btw for those of you who didn’t see Dave Smith in action check the fourth goal. Try keeping up with that)

Smith was like lightning, sadly the end product wasn’t always to that standard 

• Like 1

In a lot of ways a more important game for them than us. We are the kind of team you hope to play late on when you still need a result of two, mid table with nothing really to play for.

A win, a defeat and three draws in their last five, and you would think one more win would be enough for them. Hopefully we get at them a bit, otherwise can see another binary result without a huge amount of excitement…0-0 or a single goal either way.

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I remember that well :city:

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Remember it well, wouldn’t mind some entertainment like that tonight 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

If it was, he wouldn’t have started at Gillingham or ever played for us.

Very true and something some of our fans should remember. Like the critics of O’Leary, if this keeper that’s better than max that doesn’t make mistakes exists, he’s hardly gonna be demanding a move to Ashton Gate. 

• Flames 1

I’d like to see a 3-4-1-2 formation personally, give Tommy a go up top with Wells / Cornick

Oleary 

Tanner , Vyner , Roberts 

Sykes       James         Knight          Pring

Twine

Wells      Conway

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Don't know what the crowd was that day (certainly much less than we officially get now) but AG was noisy in those days.

Not just when the goals went in, but roaring on the players each time they ran at the opposition with real attacking intent.

59 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

I’d like to see a 3-4-1-2 formation personally, give Tommy a go up top with Wells / Cornick

Oleary 

Tanner , Vyner , Roberts 

Sykes       James         Knight          Pring

Twine

Wells      Conway

Is vyner fit tonight?