IGNORED

Henry Winter leaving The Times.

exAtyeoMax

How the hell do you make Henry Winter redundant? Possibly the best journo out there as his awards display. Yes, liked Lee Johnson a bit much but on the whole he’s a great read. Is it that the Times aren’t going to cover football any more as who do they genuinely get that’s better?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

How the hell do you make Henry Winter redundant? Possibly the best journo out there as his awards display. Yes, liked Lee Johnson a bit much but on the whole he’s a great read. Is it that the Times aren’t going to cover football any more as who do they genuinely get that’s better?

I did wonder that

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

chatgpt?

Sesame Street Idk GIF

36 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Murdoch's quietly running The Times into the ground.  Telegraph-ising it. Out go experienced journalists with contacts, in come the Jocastas and Piers who don't need a big salary as daddy's trust fund pays for most things. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Winter is good how I would say he has this irritating habit of fawning over bigger sides or issues. His coverage when Everton were reduced on Appeal annoyed me.

Fawns over England all the time as well, always has done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m assuming you’re still living in the days of Gregor McGregorface and Andy “one for the road” Stockhousen.

James Piercy is an excellent journalist and above the standard you normally get at a local paper such as the Post, particularly after the cutbacks at Reach. I do think he goes a bit too easy at times but he’s knowledgeable, articulate and doesn’t just ask banal questions.

He won’t be there for long - he’s too good.

Gregor was absolutely excellent too, I can’t believe fans didn’t see it. He really pushed and asked awkward questions we all wanted to hear the answers to. 

theres a reason why Winter himself got him involved at The Times after he went freelance!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Gregor was absolutely excellent too, I can’t believe fans didn’t see it. He really pushed and asked awkward questions we all wanted to hear the answers to. 

theres a reason why Winter himself got him involved at The Times after he went freelance!

Certainly was better than Stocky, but Piercy is definitely a level above him.

Plus, Gregor’s continued use of “wide of the mark” got right on my nerves…!

I believe the owners are the same as the S*n , so I am hopeful that the S*n is losing so much money they have to cut back in other areas to prop it up. 

The Times was the last paper I used to read , quite a time ago though. The sport was always decent and photography throughout the paper excellent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Certainly was better than Stocky, but Piercy is definitely a level above him.

Plus, Gregor’s continued use of “wide of the mark” got right on my nerves…!

Piercy is the goat, no question!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Gregor's sense of humour! Taking the whole of the senior hierarchy out with the JCB…:laugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Winter is good how I would say he has this irritating habit of fawning over bigger sides or issues. His coverage when Everton were reduced on Appeal annoyed me.

He consistently demonstrates that he doesn't understand the PSR regs. Like any number of journalists he gives the impression he has never read them nor indeed independent commission decision. "It's not fair to punish a great old club like Everton" doesn't qualify as journalism imo .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He consistently demonstrates that he doesn't understand the PSR regs. Like any number of journalists he gives the impression he has never read them nor indeed independent commission decision. "It's not fair to punish a great old club like Everton" doesn't qualify as journalism imo .

No, that's opinion.

And worse, it's opinion based on a surface level understanding of the facts.

But Winter is easily one of the best "headline" sports journalists, even if he doesn't do the big deep dive cases that Conn, Ziegler, and some of the other guys do.

I'd also defend a misunderstanding of P&S. Reading the Forest and Everton commission awards shows you that even at that level there's some wriggle room and nuance in the interpretation of those rules.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

No, that's opinion.

And worse, it's opinion based on a surface level understanding of the facts.

But Winter is easily one of the best "headline" sports journalists, even if he doesn't do the big deep dive cases that Conn, Ziegler, and some of the other guys do.

I'd also defend a misunderstanding of P&S. Reading the Forest and Everton commission awards shows you that even at that level there's some wriggle room and nuance in the interpretation of those rules.

Matt Hughes is another who has been known to report extensively on P&S.

There seems to be less mitigation, wriggle room granted by EFL Commissions in the main. Football League are and have been historically more draconian than the Premier League too. Not just P&S wise.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Everton's new signing.