IGNORED

Signs of change or pressure off?

Negan

I'd say it is a bit of both.

When we press we look a better, more cohesive side but that Swansea win was probably hid saving grace even if a terrible watch for the majority.

Beating Leicester bound to bolster confidence. Results buy time..We are better when we press, if you can add some improvements in possession (as opposed to dominance in possession) to that then the combination starts to align.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yes it’s nice win but you’re absolutely right.

I don’t think you can understate how poor Blackburn were tonight.

If a team wins 5-0 either you’re meeting a hugely talented attacking team or the losing team have capitulated.

Given the fact we’ve only won a game by more than 2 goals 3 times all season and only 8 teams in the league have scored less goals than us…

Add in Blackburn’s current bottom 6 form and the fact they have the 2nd leakiest defence in the league.

Suggests more of the latter.

A nice win yes, credit for that - but IMo people probably shouldn’t get too carried away though on the back of tonight…

Aren't most people basing in on the last 4 (certainly) possibly 7 games.? Not just tonight.

After the Cardiff game I was properly pissed off at how dreadful we were.

Swansea, I actually think was deliberately cautious to stop the rot.

Ipswich - at least we competed.

West Brom - wasn't great, but now looks like a blip in the run, rather than reverting to type.

What makes you think anyone is basing it on 1 game, when we haven't conceded a goal in 4 games & taken 10 points from the last 12 available..?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So I go - cautiously - on signs of change. But that change has been exercised in part by a release of pressure. And I think it’s a change in the managerial approach. If that was borne of necessity due to how things were going I don’t care - just realise that we’re better this way and keep going down that track and people, including myself, will be happy.

:clapping::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just now, ashton_fan said:

People saying it was just Blackburn being poor, it's only a couple of weeks or so since they won 5-1 at Sunderland. We got goals at key moments, it could have gone either way before the first goal.

I’m not sure it could tbh as they were really poor going forward as well and I didn’t see them scoring - other than that Sunderland game I think they’ve not scored in 4 or 5 games.

Undoubtedly we did score at a good moment but that I think was more based on possession as opposed to them threatening.

As I said, you still have to convert and the goals were a mix of rank defending and a good press. But there were defensive errors for 4 of 5 goals, and the Sykes/3rd Conway chances in the first half were also given to us.

Bottom line for me is this - I think we win that game 99 times out of 100 based on how poor they were and the quality of the press. And if the season was 48 and not 46 games long, I’d be putting the house on Blackburn going down.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

A great win tonight, 4 clean sheets in a row. Attackers finally looking deadly, defence looks sharp, O’Leary unbeatable. Whilst it’s great to watch you can’t help but feel a bit frustrated we couldn’t be like this 10-15 games ago. So is it actually a sign things have changed, manning has got a grip on things and his way of playing has finally clicked… or is it because the pressure is off, the seasons done, sunglasses and sun tan lotion are already packed and the lads are just playing with a bit of freedom. I’m praying it’s the former and this can roll in to next season. About time we’ve had something to be excited about. If they can keep this up for the remaining 4 games and have a solid transfer window, they might just get the feel good factor they desperately need from the fans as we are certainly a better club when united. 

We do this most seasons. Pressure is off and we go and spank someone. I’m not getting carried away this year though. Next season will be a struggle in my opinion.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

So you joined yesterday and have 23 posts so far.

Bristol Sport.... you are doing yourselves no favours by keeping up this bull shit! Just bloody stop ok!

I don’t think it’s Bristol Sport. It’s following a similar well worn path that will end tomorrow with it flouncing off and asking for its account to be deleted, then signing up again the next day with a different IP address.

Regular as bloody clockwork.

• Like 2

I'm delighted by the recent form but reluctant to get ahead of myself. Leicester and Sunderland missed some absolute sitters and on another day we could have lost both of those games comfortably. 4 of our goals today were the result of comically bad defending, Sunday league stuff. 

Cautiously moving in the right direction for me, keep this up and we can look forward to next season with a solid foundation. 

Do not underestimate the importance of Twine. Not necessarily his end product, but the fact he is a natural “between the lines” player. It pulls the opposition defence into areas they don’t want to go, whether he capitalises or not, it’s the question he poses that makes a big difference. Essentially we are less predictable, and harder for teams to do a “millwall/Cardiff” on us. Whether he stays or we go elsewhere- imperative we sign a player who does this. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

We should been pushing for top 10 this season.  Pearson or Manning.  Anything less than 10th would be a disappointment.  As said elsewhere let’s see some proper consistency. Long shot but we may well yet make it. 

Realistically with Preston and Middlesbrough in good form and Hull and Coventry 4/5 points ahead with a game in hand, the top 10 is probably beyond us. If we can finish above Cardiff in 11th, with a positive goal difference and more wins than losses, that would be a very positive end to the season.

• Like 1

I’ve been pretty critical of Manning but credit where it’s due we’re in great form at the moment and it’s actually been enjoyable to watch us in recent games for the first time since he’s taken over! 

Hopefully we keep it up and take some momentum in to next season. As always with City consistency is the issue so the jury is still out but finally some promising signs. 

I thought we played lovely passing football today, I can see what Manning is trying to do, so taking that into account signs of change, but we are bcfc so will still lose plenty of games unfortunately. 

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope the majority of the recent performances are the “new norm”, guess we’ll know more again after Huddersfield on Saturday.  Sunderland last Saturday was bloody poor, despite the 0-0.

One thing I can guarantee you is there will be peaks and troughs, individual errors and inconsistent performers. That's just the reality of supporting a mid table Championship side.

I do hope though that we continue the way we look to pass the ball forwards, which isn't a new thing, but is more evident during this hot streak.

Bravery + confidence = sexy football. Stick that in the coaching manual...

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Do we think that during the international break there were some constructive meetings between the management and players where the players stood up to Manning regarding the way we were playing or Tinnion has had words as he originally said he would regarding the front foot playing style. Or finally it got through to Manning that the possession style wasn’t working and he adapted  to safe his job. 

What ever the reason  since the international break results wise anyway we are a completely different side.

I haven’t seem them since the change in form has moving Knight deeper made a big difference? 

17 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Realistically with Preston and Middlesbrough in good form and Hull and Coventry 4/5 points ahead with a game in hand, the top 10 is probably beyond us. If we can finish above Cardiff in 11th, with a positive goal difference and more wins than losses, that would be a very positive end to the season.

Said earlier in the season, possibly under Pearson, that a season with more wins than losses would constitute progress. Close at the moment, without the cigar just yet 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

Do we think that during the international break there were some constructive meetings between the management and players where the players stood up to Manning regarding the way we were playing or Tinnion has had words as he originally said he would regarding the front foot playing style. Or finally it got through to Manning that the possession style wasn’t working and he adapted  to safe his job. 

What ever the reason  since the international break results wise anyway we are a completely different side.

I haven’t seem them since the change in form has moving Knight deeper made a big difference? 

Nooooo... you just invented a story

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mozo said:

One thing I can guarantee you is there will be peaks and troughs, individual errors and inconsistent performers. That's just the reality of supporting a mid table Championship side.

I do hope though that we continue the way we look to pass the ball forwards, which isn't a new thing, but is more evident during this hot streak.

Bravery + confidence = sexy football. Stick that in the coaching manual...

Yep, the whole division has that.  For me it’s method, approach, intensity.  When Manning came in he talked about if teams press you can go over it, don’t always have to play through it (and risk getting caught).  Tonight was the first time I’ve heard talk about mixing it up since Sheffield Wed where his channel-ball was all over the place.

He did say pre-match that against Sunderland our distances front to back were poor, and it’s no coincidence that our better performances have come through being more compact.

More please, seriously, please! 😉

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

There were some pretty credible sources saying meetings had been held (and I’m not talking Ian Gay).

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, the whole division has that.  For me it’s method, approach, intensity.  When Manning came in he talked about if teams press you can go over it, don’t always have to play through it (and risk getting caught).  Tonight was the first time I’ve heard talk about mixing it up since Sheffield Wed where his channel-ball was all over the place.

He did say pre-match that against Sunderland our distances front to back were poor, and it’s no coincidence that our better performances have come through being more compact.

More please, seriously, please! 😉

There were some pretty credible sources saying meetings had been held (and I’m not talking Ian Gay).

What sources? Can you provide a link? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CiaCru said:

What sources? Can you provide a link? 

No.  Sorry I can’t say who told me.  Others heard the same.

And then Ian Gay blurted out similar on FBC a few days later.  And we know how “in” he is these days.

With all these things it’s up to you whether you think there’s any truth in it or not.

Edited by Davefevs

32 minutes ago, mozo said:

It’s nonsense - people trying to find any alternative possible to giving Manning credit. For what it’s worth the reason it worked tonight was more down to Blackburns complete lack of structure or ability to press cohesively, it was dire.

Just now, HunstantonRed said:

Shock - no link. Usual internet nonsense. 

Why would there be a link, it wasn’t public information.  Of course I can’t post a link.

As per above.  Up to you whether you choose to believe it, just like I chose too.

+++++

Bit like your Burnley posts earlier too, then.  I chose “nonsense”.  Whatever floats your boat.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why would there be a link, it wasn’t public information.  Of course I can’t post a link.

As per above.  Up to you whether you choose to believe it, just like I chose too.

+++++

Bit like your Burnley posts earlier too, then.  I chose “nonsense”.  Whatever floats your boat.

I don’t believe it. I suspect someone is feeding you for a laugh.