IGNORED

Signs of change or pressure off?

Negan

A great win tonight, 4 clean sheets in a row. Attackers finally looking deadly, defence looks sharp, O’Leary unbeatable. Whilst it’s great to watch you can’t help but feel a bit frustrated we couldn’t be like this 10-15 games ago. So is it actually a sign things have changed, manning has got a grip on things and his way of playing has finally clicked… or is it because the pressure is off, the seasons done, sunglasses and sun tan lotion are already packed and the lads are just playing with a bit of freedom. I’m praying it’s the former and this can roll in to next season. About time we’ve had something to be excited about. If they can keep this up for the remaining 4 games and have a solid transfer window, they might just get the feel good factor they desperately need from the fans as we are certainly a better club when united. 

• Like 1

100% the former, you just have to look up the road for what it looks like when a side downs tools for the summer early.

The signs have been there, it’s just slowly but surely getting more consistent. 

Give the man credit he deserves, according to this forum he’s been massively under pressure for weeks so presumably he’s fighting for his job. 

Superb tonight and as I’ve said for a long time, I am genuinely excited for next season and really feel under LM we can have a right good season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Bs4Red said:

100% the former, you just have to look up the road for what it looks like when a side downs tools for the summer early.

Give the man credit he deserves, according to this forum he’s been massively under pressure for weeks so presumably he’s fighting for his job. 

Superb tonight and as I’ve said for a long time, I am genuinely excited for next season and really feel under LM we can have a right good season. 

As am i

We still need a couple of new attacking players (pace and power) despite the result tonight, but IF we can keep our key players fit next season then i think we can push for a top 10 finish.

Blackburn didn't turn up tonight but they are no mugs. We played well and pressed from the front. I'm really pleased for Manning 👏

• Like 1

A little run of good results is nothing particularly new, we’ve been streaky for years.

Can Manning make us more consistent? 

Personally (not getting heady after winning 5 nil) I’m reserving judgment for a longer sample of games - especially as in the last few results we’ve been on the right end of some awful finishing (Vardy), Max at his best on multiple occasions and a Blackburn side that gifted, literally handed us 4 goals tonight. 

False dawn or not? Eitherway, we’ll find out next season as Manning will have his shot…

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I’ve been critical of him, but I feel rightfully so. However never called for him to be sacked, it was more of a “I really don’t care if he stays or goes” kind of attitude which I think a lot of fans shared. Now with that though is the opportunity for him to win some of us who feel like that around, which for me he’s doing. I’m still not 100% convinced he’ll be here come the end of next season but if we end this season strongly and have a good window then he may well be. The owners got their man, I’m praying they back him now. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Edgy Red said:

We still need a couple of new attacking players (pace and power) despite the result tonight, but IF we can keep our key players fit next season then i think we can push for a top 10 finish.

Blackburn didn't turn up tonight but they are no mugs. We played well and pressed from the front. I'm really pleased for Manning 👏

We should been pushing for top 10 this season.  Pearson or Manning.  Anything less than 10th would be a disappointment.  As said elsewhere let’s see some proper consistency. Long shot but we may well yet make it. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

My only caveat is that Hyam and MacFadzean have gifted us all five goals.

Aside from that, solid, organised, nice 'patterns'. Strong performances across the pitch.

Would be more bouyed if Knight takes that Pring full back and smashes it in when 2-0 up. As would then be an open play goal not directly from an error or penalty, but that's obviously nitpicking.

4 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Aside from that, solid, organised, nice 'patterns'. Strong performances across the pitch.

Would be more bouyed if Knight takes that Pring full back and smashes it in when 2-0 up. As would then be an open play goal not directly from an error or penalty, but that's obviously nitpicking.

Mehmeti did brilliant for his goal, as did Robert’s/Cornick for Wells 2nd.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Lack of Action Man said:

100% “pressure off” but at the end of the day winning breeds confidence and confident players perform. 

For the moment, LM is proving me wrong. Long May that continue!

I'd say not 100% but the main reason yes. Agree with the rest.

It really doesn't matter what the sport is, confidence breeds confidence, turn a bad streak around you can pull it back. Generally most teams be it football, cricket, rugby, Yank Football, Skittles, the actual difference between most teams in terms of quality is minimal, the big difference is self confidence.

I have always felt you can see the structure Manning is trying to put in place, there have been a couple of games his team has been smashed,, apart from that we have been in every game, the only downside I have seen is self confidence to potentially slow down the approach play and think what we wan t do with the final ball.. when  you are in form you don't need to slow it down and think, it all comes naturally.

Lets be honest good or bad results, I don't think any of us can say the players are downing tools for him.. that for me is a good sign.  The hunger to defend  has never been in doubt for his time in charge, something Pearson installed, and still seems high, you cannot legislate for individual mistakes, but from what i see, they looks a team, if you like what they are producing on the pitch or not

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Yes it’s nice win but you’re absolutely right.

I don’t think you can understate how poor Blackburn were tonight.

If a team wins 5-0 either you’re meeting a hugely talented attacking team or the losing team have capitulated.

Given the fact we’ve only won a game by more than 2 goals 3 times all season and only 8 teams in the league have scored less goals than us…

Add in Blackburn’s current bottom 6 form and the fact they have the 2nd leakiest defence in the league.

Suggests more of the latter.

A nice win yes, credit for that - but IMo people probably shouldn’t get too carried away though on the back of tonight…

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

I think that despite it being the close season and we don’t have much to play for as a collective, it’s good knowing we have gotten results against teas with something to play for. Blackburn, Plymouth, Leicester all have something to play for. Happy with another clean sheet too! 

• Like 5

It’s important not to get too high or too low after a match as Manning would say but I’ll bet that all the players and fans are really buzzing having stuck 5 past a piss poor Blackburn Rovers who were defensively shite particularly in the first 45 but you can only beat what’s in front of you.

Its refreshing to leave AG with that buzz after such a game - I can’t remember the last time City scored 5 in a Championship match.

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yes it’s nice win but you’re absolutely right.

I don’t think you can understate how poor Blackburn were tonight.

If a team wins 5-0 either you’re meeting a hugely talented attacking team or the losing team have capitulated.

Given the fact we’ve only won a game by more than 2 goals 3 times all season and only 8 teams in the league have scored less goals than us…

Add in Blackburn’s current bottom 6 form and the fact they have the 2nd leakiest defence in the league.

Suggests more of the latter.

A nice win yes, credit for that - but IMo people probably shouldn’t get too carried away though on the back of tonight…

You can only beat what's in front of you. We've rarely been that clinical in the last few years (although we still missed several good chances), and I thought we harried and harassed them very well, were good at picking up second balls, and fully deserved the scoreline regardless of their mistakes.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

I said in the pre match thread that LM was noticeably more relaxed in his presser than he had been at any point (and it was better for it), and the question would be whether that relaxed state would lead to “handbrake off” or reversion to what had been the preferred “possession” style as he felt secure.

Thankfully, it was the former. We had less possession than Blackburn but harried and pressed 20 yards further up the pitch than seen in prior games. Yep, they were awful defensively - and as so said at half time, it was a mix of bad defence and a good press; you still have to capitalise. 

I think it’s too simplistic to say “he needed time” as that implies he needed time to get the players playing his way (or his players). What I am seeing over the Leicester, Plymouth and Blackburn games is a coach who has pulled himself more away from his base principles - and is better for it. Whether that’s been the treble sub at Plymouth or the willingness to be without the ball tonight, and to press higher up (leaving yourself possibly more vulnerable at the back) it’s been positive signs. Maybe the time he needed was, in Liams words, to allow him to be “braver”. He’s being braver. It’s getting results and all credit to him - we could easily have lost to Leicester and I’d still be saying that as the intent in the performance was better. I’d rather lose like a lion then draw like a lamb.

So I go - cautiously - on signs of change. But that change has been exercised in part by a release of pressure. And I think it’s a change in the managerial approach. If that was borne of necessity due to how things were going I don’t care - just realise that we’re better this way and keep going down that track and people, including myself, will be happy.

• Like 10
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

3 of our best players playing their natural positions in Roberts and Knight has made the difference to me. Mehmeti also being played by a manager who wanted him before and is getting the best out of him, huge confidence boost that must be.

Yes tonight we was gifted 4 outta 5 goals and that’s luck, that’s football but we have been better since the international break but then there was Saturday we was bloody crap.. though **** me 5 at home, 3 points, don’t care how we score them, bloody have it!

No matter who the manager, the players we bring in, change about is we have huge inconsistencies and we always have hence why we are a mid table team and have been for however long, it’s frustrating I know we support the same team

Edited by alexukhc

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

I said in the pre match thread that LM was noticeably more relaxed in his presser than he had been at any point (and it was better for it), and the question would be whether that relaxed state would lead to “handbrake off” or reversion to what had been the preferred “possession” style as he felt secure.

Thankfully, it was the former. We had less possession than Blackburn but harried and pressed 20 yards further up the pitch than seen in prior games. Yep, they were awful defensively - and as so said at half time, it was a mix of bad defence and a good press; you still have to capitalise. 

I think it’s too simplistic to say “he needed time” as that implies he needed time to get the players playing his way (or his players). What I am seeing over the Leicester, Plymouth and Blackburn games is a coach who has pulled himself more away from his base principles - and is better for it. Whether that’s been the treble sub at Plymouth or the willingness to be without the ball tonight, and to press higher up (leaving yourself possibly more vulnerable at the back) it’s been positive signs. Maybe the time he needed was, in Liams words, to allow him to be “braver”. He’s being braver. It’s getting results and all credit to him - we could easily have lost to Leicester and I’d still be saying that as the intent in the performance was better. I’d rather lose like a lion then draw like a lamb.

So I go - cautiously - on signs of change. But that change has been exercised in part by a release of pressure. And I think it’s a change in the managerial approach. If that was borne of necessity due to how things were going I don’t care - just realise that we’re better this way and keep going down that track and people, including myself, will be happy.

What are Mannings “base principles”?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

A little run of good results is nothing particularly new, we’ve been streaky for years.

Can Manning make us more consistent? 

Personally (not getting heady after winning 5 nil) I’m reserving judgment for a longer sample of games - especially as in the last few results we’ve been on the right end of some awful finishing (Vardy), Max at his best on multiple occasions and a Blackburn side that gifted, literally handed us 4 goals tonight. 

False dawn or not? Eitherway, we’ll find out next season as Manning will have his shot…

Exactly this. A few have predictably decided to go all in tonight and fair enough you’ve got to enjoy a 5-0 win however achieved (he put a crap side to bed and that’s what I’ve wanted him to do so no complaints from me) BUT the serious football and expectation levels start all over again in August.

Get off to a good start and it’s happy days. Poor start and the club will be under pressure. The next transfer window and how Manning integrates new players will determine how long he’s at the Gate. His recent impressive run of results has bought him that opportunity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I think that despite it being the close season and we don’t have much to play for as a collective, it’s good knowing we have gotten results against teas with something to play for. Blackburn, Plymouth, Leicester all have something to play for. Happy with another clean sheet too! 

Yep. This is a really good point and it’s really good to see.  Credit has to be given for that. Lots of people on here saying it doesn’t matter what we do in these games almost as an excuse, but it really does of Manning wants to begin start to win large sections of the fanbase around.  Important to not let the season slip away and tbf to them they haven’t.  

• Like 3