IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match thread

1 minute ago, Big Cheese said:

But that predictable city, said before the game, could be 0-0, or we will struggle to win, no matter whos the manager thats always been the city unfortunately 

It definitely feels like that. We've had it against Stoke and Millwall this season where we've been driven mad by poor home displays and classic basic defeats. I guess fans of most Championship teams would say the same mind.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

10 points in those home games?

Didn’t stay to see us beat Swansea tbh it was that shit. Points alone may do you, not me. QPR, Cardiff, Swansea, today - all shit games of football. Wednesday was the worst defending by an opposition at this level I’ve ever seen. The poster who said our performance is dictated by the opposition is spot on.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

So you’re a Bristol City fan who wants us to do well when we aren’t playing well, but you aren’t bothered when we’re winning?

Got it

Why can't I want us to play well all the time?

So I want us to play well but I don't want us to win?

Bizarre post. 

• Facepalm 1
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

That’s what’s going to happen and if he changes nothing and we continue to put these performances in regularly then his position need’s revisiting. The ball is in his court.

Of course. We have an issue with a consistency of performance, particularly against lower teams, and he does need to fix that. Though I don’t think we ever give enough credit to the opposition when we talk about performance because it’s always a function of how both teams set up, and not just about what we do.

But you’ve got to give credit for the good performances as well as criticise the bad ones and then assess the overall picture. Right now I’d say that’s about par for the squad - and no longer near the level of underperformance that demands a new manager. I think he has done enough to warrant staying for next season. There are benefits to continuity versus yet another change of manager.

I just think it gets a bit silly when people start calling for the manager’s head after one draw following a good run of form.

• Like 5

First half was very poor. They were sharp and up for it, we weren't. Either the system wasn't working, or the wrong players in the wrong roles due to absence of Vyner and Dickie. Maybe a bit of both. Individuals like sykes and Williams just didn't look up for it or showed very poor quality on a few occasions.

Second half we came out with more intensity which they all do deserve a bit of credit for. So many first halves like that this season have been followed up by worse second halves! So credit that they came out with a bit more gusto and you could see them trying to fire one another up.

We were still a bit slow with the final ball, or hesitant to shoot. Their goal came after our best spell so credit to us for sticking at it. I had a pretty good view of the penalty incident - hit an srm but at pretty close range. I'm always surprised when we get a penalty (!), but wasn't surprised that she gave it and she was very fussy and gave a lot of soft fouls all afternoon. Didn't let much go.

Pleased that we showed a bit of fight and got a goal at the end and keep the mini unbeaten run going. First half performance was really very poor and it's obviously a concern that we are still seeing that kind of performance - as somebody above said, its not a good ST renewal advert! But at least we got something out of the game, even if Huddersfield will feel hard done by

Was almost ashamed to celebrate Wells’ spot-kick, we were that awful. The sick thing about it is you could pretty much predict that non-performance after Wednesday night because that’s how we bloody well roll.

Also - Louis Carey made how many appearances for this club? On RobinsTV today he referred to us as “Bristol” on multiple occasions. 🤬

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mozo said:

It was a poor performance, but if you want amazing football every week, go and support Man City

Must be honest I do find Man City boring quite often aswell , there very city like but then have the key players to open teams up 

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

He will get that now - you can argue if he’s earned it or not - but it’s the only logical move for the club.

I suspect he won’t have that many games though, from the fans especially, to show he can have us up there (top 10) competing before he’s under massive pressure again though! 

I agree, he doesn’t have a huge amount of credit in the bank. And he doesn’t have a particularly engaging personality that the fans warm to, which doesn’t help with that. But I do think - on balance - he has now done enough to earn the summer and the benefit of continuity that comes with that.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So I want us to play well but I don't want us to win?

Bizarre post. 

If you want us to play well all the time why are you never visible, saying anything positive, during a good performance?

And yet, when we are crap, like today, you’re commenting regularly, highlighting how poor it is.

I’m intrigued 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
7 minutes ago, Jose said:

You’ve said reactionary? Perhaps he’s had that opinion for a while and three positive results may not have changed his mind. So in fact you have “ reacted “ after three decent performances. 

For the record I don’t care enough either way. Do I think he is good enough? No. Do I think his football is any good? No. 
Do I think the idiots above are more of a problem? Absolutely.

Fair.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Demanding high performance every week is the only way to become successful. 

Saying "well we've always struggled against these sort of teams" is incredibly tinpot. 

I don't think Mozo and W-S-M Seagull demanding high performance is going to make City successful. And it probably won't help our mental health because we won't get what we want.

It was an irritating game, too many players were slightly off it today. Pring, McCrorie, Williams, even James were very hit and miss today and Sykes looked well off his best.

But we have to be philosophical and know that over the course of ten games, you will always get at least one of these. Every single manager gets them, by the way. 

I appreciate that every game where we're not good will just re-awaken the feelings you have about the current boss, but whilst we're right up there in the form table, let's give him a bit of leeway and not assume that every mis-kick is his fault. 

• Like 2

I said before the game we really start to get consistency in our performances from one game to another they go from pretty decent to really poor from week to week , 2nd half we weren’t bad but first half that was poor , 

mind you this hasn’t just happened under mannings watch this has been going on for years at city ( except cotts promotion season ) city rarely win back to back home games Saturday / Tuesday games 

• Like 1

Well, my blood pressure has finally hit normal. 

Very frustrating non-performance from us. Allowed Huddersfield to dictate play for the majority of the game. Failed to generate any real opportunities in the first half....woke up second....few good spells. Seemingly teams are now playing scrappy games knowing that it prevents us playing a flowing gane (when we can acutally organise ourselves). Little toe pokes to take away possession when playing for second balls....immensely frustrating.

Clearly we are only playing the team in front of us...we now need to dictate our play rather than consistently being dictated to and trying to forge out an opportunity (which more often than not fails).

Like to see us play well against Rotherham when at AG on 27th....then send stoke down away on the final day. 

Ref today was very consistent- a couple of mind boggles....but very good in the main. Consistently booking cynical fouls etc. 

Smash and grab a point at the death.

- not ideal, not pleasant but left me smiling nonetheless.

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 3
Just now, redkev said:

I said before the game we really start to get consistency in our performances from one game to another they go from pretty decent to really poor from week to week , 2nd half we weren’t bad but first half that was poor , 

mind you this hasn’t just happened under mannings watch this has been going on for years at city ( except cotts promotion season ) city rarely win back to back home games Saturday / Tuesday games 

Agree mate. Huddersfield did a good job of disrupting us and we did a poor job of dealing with it. Seen it so many times before. Another very different challenge up next

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You can want that but I don't think it's unfair to say that to expect Bristol City FC at this level to provide that is both unrealistic and somewhat naive.

35 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Brilliant on the Huddersfield forum

5 mins added 'Whattt Wheres has 5 mins come from'

Helik down wasting time 'good shithousing Helik'

Pen in the eighth min 'WTF it was only 5 mins where has the cheating ref got 8 from'

😂 shouldn't laugh as I would rather Stoke went down 

Was their undoing today.

Thought Rebecca Welch was superb (watching on RTV), got all the yellow cards spot on.  Was the penalty an easy decision?

Bugs me when refs fail to add on any time / enough time when stoppages occur in injury time.  They made subs, had injuries, etc.  quite right that game went into 100th minute.  A ref who applied the new laws that others have forgotten.  What was the view of her performance from those of you at AG?

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

You can want that but I don't think it's unfair to say that to expect Bristol City FC at this level to provide that is both unrealistic and somewhat naive.

Especially when you consider the amount of money this squad has cost us. Of course it isn’t a pin point indicator but the purchase value of our squad is something like 16/17th in the league. 

To expect good performance every single week in one of the hardest leagues in europe, without being one of the top spenders is just silly imo. For a Leicester fan it’s understandable, not for us. 

As the saying goes, a sign of a good team is when they pick up points even when they aren’t playing well. Had a very good last few games, off the mark today and without a recognised CB yet still getting points is a plus imo, just have to make sure those performances are a rarity. 

Realistically i think Manning has done enough to deserve the summer. That doesn’t mean i think he will suddenly shoot us into playoffs next year, I still think we will finish somewhere between 10-16th. But I see 0 point in changing manager at this time. Give the man a chance and let’s see what happens.

Don’t share the view of some that we should be really worried for next season. But it is Bristol City after all ;)

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was their undoing today.

Thought Rebecca Welch was superb (watching on RTV), got all the yellow cards spot on.  Was the penalty an easy decision?

Bugs me when refs fail to add on any time / enough time when stoppages occur in injury time.  They made subs, had injuries, etc.  quite right that game went into 100th minute.  A ref who applied the new laws that others have forgotten.  What was the view of her performance from those of you at AG?

Pretty much this. 

I thought Bobby Madley was exceptional on Wednesday, but noticing a referee for a good performance is a rarity. 

On a more usual basis, the highest compliment I can pay to a referee is that I don't really notice them. I didn't really notice much of Rebecca Welch's performance today - she was only notable because she is a woman. 

Edited by The Fat Controller

As someone who is in the “I would sack Manning camp”, I’m not too disappointed by today’s performance.  I thought we showed enough endeavour, just not enough execution against a Huddersfield team who most definitely turned up and made it very difficult for us.  They exposed us too easily at times, but our makeshift defence dug-in.

But we wasted some good situations too, we looked a bit “leggy” though.

I was pleased we didn’t just bung the ball into the box at the end too.

Quite like us getting penalties too - 6/6.

Was quite a nice game to watch tactically.

3 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

she was only notable because she is a woman. 

Letch!

• Haha 1