IGNORED

The penalty

JakeOTIB

I must be in the minority, but I genuinely thought that was a stonewall penalty…

I was sat in Dolman E28 so it happened pretty much right infront of me and from that angle, it just looked blatant. Any one else agree with me or I’m I chatting a load of rubbish? Happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by JakeOTIB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

The ref agreed with you and that’s good enough for me.

And let’s be honest if Huddersfield hadn’t spent so much time feigning injury and trying to break up the play then the game would have already finished.

For that reason I have no sympathy for them 

Spot on.

They also thought it was smart to make a time wasting sub in injury time after that bloke spent about 90 seconds down “injured”.

Only seen it once & looked a handball but as you say, we wouldn’t have been playing then if they hadn’t wasted time repeatedly.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

The ref agreed with you and that’s good enough for me.

And let’s be honest if Huddersfield hadn’t spent so much time feigning injury and trying to break up the play then the game would have already finished.

For that reason I have no sympathy for them 

How to say you don't think it was a penalty without saying it wasn't a penalty.

I'd be fuming if that was given against us, I'm not sure it even hit his hand !

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

How to say you don't think it was a penalty without saying it wasn't a penalty.

I'd be fuming if that was given against us, I'm not sure it even hit his hand !

Nope I haven’t seen a replay so that’s not what I’m saying.

The OP thought it was a pen from his view and the ref agreed so that’s the most important thing.

When I’ve had a chance to see it again I’ll let you know what I think 

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Thanks 2

I’d be raging if that was given against us, he tried to make a sliding block and that’s a natural position for the arm to go because your head goes backwards as your torso goes forward, and instinctively your arm goes out prevent the back of your head whacking the floor.

Huddersfield were fuming though, so it’s funny.

• Like 3

I left with 30 seconds to go of the 5 added minutes , who knew She meant 10 ffs

But looking at the highlights , the guy doesn't complain much , the Ref gives it straight away and every City player appeals . It seems a good shout , even though I still can't see it.

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

Just reading about the Bournemouth v Man utd match. Unsurprisingly Man utd are awarded a penalty but Bournemouth in the last minute with the score 2 - 2 are not!

The one against Bournemouth was harsh, but the foul at the end wasn't in the penalty area, so I think that was the correct call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I left with 30 seconds to go of the 5 added minutes , who knew She meant 10 ffs

But looking at the highlights , the guy doesn't complain much , the Ref gives it straight away and every City player appeals . It seems a good shout , even though I still can't see it.

The ref applied the rules on time wasting/injuries after 90 minutes. Good, although I'd not guessed it was going to be quite that much. And as the pen delayed was delayed for 2 minutes I really don't think the played time was too much over the 5. But I expect Huddersfield will attempt to time it and make a point if they feel hard done by. The cheating barstewards.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The one against Bournemouth was harsh, but the foul at the end wasn't in the penalty area, so I think that was the correct call.

It wasn't hsrsh for me the Bournemouth player moves his arm towards the ball. The one at the end is probably just outside.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

It wasn't hsrsh for me the Bournemouth player moves his arm towards the ball. The one at the end is probably just outside.

Fair. I do have anti-Man U goggles for sure. I don't think he knew anything about it, and it happened fast. But I guess the rules don't care about that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The ref applied the rules on time wasting/injuries after 90 minutes. Good, although I'd not guessed it was going to be quite that much. And as the pen delayed was delayed for 2 minutes I really don't think the played time was too much over the 5. But I expect Huddersfield will attempt to time it and make a point if they feel hard done by. The cheating barstewards.

I saw the BBC gave the time as 90+10 , the added time was 5 minutes so as we were so shite 30 minutes before the end of the 5 I felt safe to leave :facepalm:

1 hour ago, luke_bristol said:

I’d be raging if that was given against us, he tried to make a sliding block and that’s a natural position for the arm to go because your head goes backwards as your torso goes forward, and instinctively your arm goes out prevent the back of your head whacking the floor.

Huddersfield were fuming though, so it’s funny.

I think what your referring to in this case is his right arm which protects his fall?

The ball hits his left, which was flailing has he did a bit of a clumsy twist of the body to protect himself from the ball. (He dived with his left instead or right foot which turned his body)

IMO - by the modern, current handball rules - it’s a penalty.

Is it a ‘harsh’ pen, probably yes by old standards, but that’s the rules these days.

Hence why in those positions players often choose not to dive in and instead try and block whilst holding arms behind backs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think what your referring to in this case is his right arm which protects his fall?

The ball hits his left, which was flailing has he did a bit of a clumsy twist of the body to protect himself from the ball. (He dived with his left instead or right foot which turned his body)

IMO - by the modern, current handball rules - it’s a penalty.

Is it a ‘harsh’ pen, probably yes by old standards, but that’s the rules these days.

Hence why in those positions players often choose not to dive in and instead try and block whilst holding arms behind backs. 

Exactly. I hate these rules & 100% with the OP. Of course I would be disappointed if this was given against us but the rules are the rules.

i was in line with this & seemed so obvious yet all the Social Media meltdown are based on a poor tv angle. Well done Rebecca. 

It was a penalty under the rules I guess but very harsh - defender has gone in to try and block a cross - is there any  "conscious" decision by the defender to block the ball where  his arm is - I would argue not - maybe there should be a review of what constitutes a penalty - sometimes I think penalties are far too much a "reward" for the offence.....plus I want Brum and Stoke to go down.....

• Like 2

I moved second half to that side of the Dolman so had a great view. It was definitely one of those that sometimes get given (today) sometimes don’t (us for about 3 years)

Overall I thought the ref was pretty good today, seemed to have just the right amount of chat with the players and a sense of humour.

Oh and she seems to have upset Joey Barton who’s making judgement on a persons whole career on one decision on one camera angle, so that’s good.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

I thought the ref was very bloody good today. The fact she paused to make important decisions might have made it look like she was influenced by players bleating, but I don't think that was the case. 

She might have also appeared as our first "homer" for years.... But that was only because of a rash of "anti-football" by an away team fighting to stay up. Good job and way better than the average ref we normally get at Ashton Gate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JakeOTIB said:

I must be in the minority, but I genuinely thought that was a stonewall penalty…

I was sat in Dolman E28 so it happened pretty much right infront of me and from that angle, it just looked blatant. Any one else agree with me or I’m I chatting a load of rubbish? Happy to be proved wrong.

Same here sat in same block looked a penalty all day to me had the perfect view. 

• Like 2