IGNORED

The penalty

JakeOTIB

I can’t believe she sacked Neil Warnock, bought bugger all over the summer, hired Darren Moore then refused to sack him when he was taking us down then spent a load on crocked players in January.

That bint has single-handedly relegated us.

From the Terriers forum....100% right.

• Haha 1

I just perused the Huddersfield forum. Obviously they’re very bitter about the penalty award and complaining about the added time and accusing Rebecca Welch of being the worst referee ever.

What they don’t t seem to realise is that the 5 added mins is a minimum and during that 5 mins their players were time wasting and she simply added it on - that’s good refereeing in my view and boy! I’m glad that she did.

However - we City fans would have reacted in exactly the same had we been on the end of such a decision and reinforces my belief that we football fans are all the same regardless of which club you support.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I've watched it several times and have come to the decision , Pen . 
We don't usually appeal that hard , ok late in a game chasing an equaliser may cause that.
The guy hardly moans , always a give away . 
His arm is raised , naturally maybe , but his arm blocks the cross and the Ref has a decent view
Undeserved , but I'll always take it.

Screenshot2024-04-14at10_28_22.png.e9fea183eb16f6bc4542bd6ca8163425.png

https://fb.watch/rrmTqxKMmN/

Refs position as good as you could hope for, because Lino is not gonna be able to help her.  She gave it, there must’ve been enough in it for her.  She showed yesterday she reffed to the rules.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Refs position as good as you could hope for, because Lino is not gonna be able to help her.  She gave it, there must’ve been enough in it for her.  She showed yesterday she reffed to the rules.

I don’t understand why so many of our fans feel so hard done by for Huddersfield.

The refs given it and that’s it, over the course of the season they’ll of had decisions go for them and go against them.

Just like we have and just like every other team in the league will have.

Thats football and it’s how it’s always been.

Today it went in our favour, next week it might not.

Most of all though what minute it occurred in and Huddersfield’s position in the league are totally irrelevant.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

This is almost the angle I saw it from, and it is without doubt a penalty. Well done for capturing it Ani Harish

Good video, thanks.

Aside from the decision, a lot of empty areas by +10 mins!! Not really surprised TBH.

Also, a good pacy strike on the pen. Get some laces through it I say, a good strike.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

From that angle it's definitely a penalty, although I'm not sure the ref can tell that from her view.

That's just a precise moment frozen though

The full movement of the arm and ball meant she could award the penalty 

• Like 1

It's a really good decision. It felt like a good decision at the time, and has done since because... paradoxically, because I was unsighted, and because it looked marginal, i felt the Ref must have been clear and convinced it hit the hand, and it felt like the player knew this. His reaction - in the moment, and in the lack of an appeal - was the tell. Also in keeping with the ref's decisiveness at other key points - bookings especially. 

I think the ref was very well-placed. 

Edited by pj76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

From that angle it's definitely a penalty, although I'm not sure the ref can tell that from her view.

This is exactly how I saw it & amazed so many assume it was a “bad decision” as I mentioned earlier I don’t like the hand ball rules but until they change we have to except it.

IMG_0717.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Hits his hand.

@NcnsBcfc did not hit upper arm.

IMG_0274.jpeg

Spot on - surprised how many think it’s a bad decision.

Absolutely clear there, his left arm is up and out as he’s flung and twisted his body at the cross = making his body unnaturally bigger = penalty. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Maybe next time they won’t feign injury and try to time waste in the added time and they wouldn’t have still been on the pitch to concede the penalty. No sympathy for them and ultimately one penalty over the course of a season won’t be what sends them down 

Firstly its about time we had some luck with penalties so I'm bit complaining after all the stone wall pens we didn't get. 

However if we were fighting for precious 3 points, I'd fully expect our players to waste as much time as possible too. 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

1 hour ago, phantom said:

That's just a precise moment frozen though

The full movement of the arm and ball meant she could award the penalty 

1 hour ago, pj76 said:

It's a really good decision. It felt like a good decision at the time, and has done since because... paradoxically, because I was unsighted, and because it looked marginal, i felt the Ref must have been clear and convinced it hit the hand, and it felt like the player knew this. His reaction - in the moment, and in the lack of an appeal - was the tell. Also in keeping with the ref's decisiveness at other key points - bookings especially. 

I think the ref was very well-placed. 

The referees view is as good as any view they are going to get from open play. 

It was a good decision. Can someone post that video on the Huddersfield forum? They would still probably deny it. 😝 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, frenchred said:

It was never ever a penalty

If that was awarded against us we would be livid

Yep. A lot of rose tinted specs on about this Penalty decision. We'd be livid if it was against us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MelksRed said:

A bent / raised elbow is not a natural position, Pen

Sn12 may breed them differently but when you run or jump or do all sorts of things arms bend at the elbows. The players arms were in a position justifiable by his body movement (its in the laws).

Just watched the ‘highlights’ of yesterday’s game.  

I have three main thoughts

1 They reiterated what utter tosh we were. It was 90% of yellow shirts hanging around our penalty area and winning the ball in midfield

2 The commentator on our website highlights was obviously the chairman of the Huddersfield Town supporters club

3 It was a definite handball despite the aforementioned chairman’s continued protestations it hit the sub (love the irony) on the back. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I just perused the Huddersfield forum. Obviously they’re very bitter about the penalty award and complaining about the added time and accusing Rebecca Welch of being the worst referee ever.

What they don’t t seem to realise is that the 5 added mins is a minimum and during that 5 mins their players were time wasting and she simply added it on - that’s good refereeing in my view and boy! I’m glad that she did.

However - we City fans would have reacted in exactly the same had we been on the end of such a decision and reinforces my belief that we football fans are all the same regardless of which club you support.

A very good point from the Huddersfield forum was that there was only 5 minutes added onto the whole of the 45 minutes of the second half yet also 5 minutes added onto to extra time 5 minutes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

It was never ever a penalty

If that was awarded against us we would be livid

That’s what I thought at the time. I’ve just watched the highlights and this confirms my opinion. The first screenshot shows the position of the Huddersfield’s players arm which is definitely not in an unnatural position. Therefore no penalty. The second shows the referee’s position. From where she was she couldn’t possibly see what really happened so the penalty award was just a guess 

IMG_5786.jpeg

IMG_5787.jpeg

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A very good point from the Huddersfield forum was that there was only 5 minutes added onto the whole of the 45 minutes of the second half yet also 5 minutes added onto to extra time 5 minutes!

That’s my point - the Huddersfield players were time wasting during the 5 added mins so she added them on - good job she did!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Firstly its about time we had some luck with penalties so I'm bit complaining after all the stone wall pens we didn't get. 

However if we were fighting for precious 3 points, I'd fully expect our players to waste as much time as possible too. 

Maybe yesterday was an example of why time wasting isn’t always the best way to go though 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Maybe yesterday was an example of why time wasting isn’t always the best way to go though 

Ever since the last WC referees have been adding more mins.. in one match I remember something like 11 added mins, even the commentators were stunned.

Seems to have filtered down throughout the professional game.

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

Sn12 may breed them differently but when you run or jump or do all sorts of things arms bend at the elbows. The players arms were in a position justifiable by his body movement (its in the laws).

All irrelevant- the ref (who must know the laws) gave it - end of. 😉

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

You make it sound like refs do not make mistakes

Oh no....they definitely do.......but do we seriously think the EFL will  go ",oh, City Fans don't think they were deserving of a pen....let's retract and give Huddersfield the points".....

My point is...its been and gone....can't be changed. The person who was paid to make the call (rightly or wrongly) opted to give it...the rest is history.

Edited by MelksRed

33 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Not really.

Their centre back was down for about 90 seconds having been hit by the ball, no way would he have been if they were 1-0 down.

They then made a time wasting sub 2 minutes later, Sorba Thomas took forever to get off the pitch.

We had therefore only played about 4 minutes when the penalty was awarded, which then took another 90 seconds to resolve.

Edited by GrahamC