IGNORED

What defines a 'good ground'?

SecretSam

I haven’t been to an away match for about 4 years now. For me, the important thing has always been the surrounding area having pubs etc. I always enjoyed trips to London grounds (especially Brentford). Newcastle was a brilliant away trip. 

The worst grounds are ones that seem stuck in the middle of nowhere, like Reading. 

The ground I was most disappointed with was Villa Park. I like the look of it, but the facilities in the top tier of the away end were abysmal. Plus I got soaked in a downpour of rain after parking the car and then got stuck in terrible traffic on the way home, which didn’t help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

My point about nostalgia was wider than just footie.

Regarding Italian grounds, most of them are owned by the local authority, have running tracks, and aren't well maintained.

Pretty much. I've had the good fortune to visit loads of them when I regularly watched Lazio play. 

Genoa was my favourite.

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

So, basically, all grounds pre-the Taylor report? 

Not really. 

I do like some old grounds, I found the old Rotherham a bit like visiting a museum in an interesting way. Also liked the old Brentford.

However, recentish visits to Villa park, the away end at Elland rd and Fratton park had me thinking they were all close to being unfit for purpose. Horrible experience.

• Like 1

It varies for me . Upton Park good , London Stadium bad for a start , but it's not that straight forward .

I like QPR's ground . Old school , I've found a spot with a decent view (lower tier ) and QPR mates & family make it a great day. Facilities are shite though.

MK stadium , loads of room and decent view but even with 5,000 up there it wasn't great.

I do like grounds closer to the pitch , reasonable size concourse & toilets and not a million miles from the Town/station .

20 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Many things make a good ground for me, modern grounds need to be clean with good facilities and not a soulless bowl.

But then Port Vale for example is a tatty ground but full of character.  Good atmosphere, history etc.

So it depends for me.

19 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I do like some old grounds, I found the old Rotherham a bit like visiting a museum in an interesting way. Also liked the old Brentford.

However, recentish visits to Villa park, the away end at Elland rd and Fratton park had me thinking they were all close to being unfit for purpose. Horrible experience.

Agree about Port Vale, and it’s a decent size as well. Bloody freezing whenever I’ve been there, though!

I’d forgotten about Rotherham’s old ground. Full of character. I might be wrong, but think it’s still there and used by a team. 

1 hour ago, Offside said:

I haven’t been to an away match for about 4 years now. For me, the important thing has always been the surrounding area having pubs etc. I always enjoyed trips to London grounds (especially Brentford). Newcastle was a brilliant away trip. 

The worst grounds are ones that seem stuck in the middle of nowhere, like Reading. 

The ground I was most disappointed with was Villa Park. I like the look of it, but the facilities in the top tier of the away end were abysmal. Plus I got soaked in a downpour of rain after parking the car and then got stuck in terrible traffic on the way home, which didn’t help. 

Sat through that game soaking wet freeezing cold didnt get out of brum till bout 12 30 then speeding ticket at aztec west.... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'll be honest and say that in addition to the factors you point out - sight lines, comfort, tight to the pitch -  a huge part of it for me is the area surrounding the ground.

Stadiums that are set in the heart of a city, surrounded by characterful pubs and bars, a variety of food options, within an interesting walk from a railway station, those are special. Places like the old Griffin Park, Kenilworth Road, St James Park (both Exeter and Newcastle), the City Ground, even somewhere like Stamford Bridge or the Emirates. The atmosphere at these grounds begins outside the gates and it's often wonderful.

Absolutely this! Doesn’t matter about the size or facilities this is the most important thing. Some of the new grounds have great facilities but they are miles from anywhere and have no community feel or soul. 

31 minutes ago, Offside said:

Agree about Port Vale, and it’s a decent size as well. Bloody freezing whenever I’ve been there, though!

I’d forgotten about Rotherham’s old ground. Full of character. I might be wrong, but think it’s still there and used by a team. 

My memories of Rotherham back then is of scrapyards, pubs with ridiculously cheap and very good beer and outside toilets at the ground.

Only somewhere like Rotherham could vacate their ground and it still remains a ground. Most other places it would have become a supermarket or flats within months

• Like 1

I'll say it again. 

When I was at Ashton Gate in the Eighties, I used to dream of it looking somewhat like it does now. 

If only I had known how it would impinge on the atmosphere and matchday experience. 

Would I want the return of the AG of the Eighties?

No. 

But sometimes..

...yes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

I'll say it again. 

When I was at Ashton Gate in the Eighties, I used to dream of it looking somewhat like it does now. 

If only I had known how it would impinge on the atmosphere and matchday experience. 

Would I want the return of the AG of the Eighties?

No. 

But sometimes..

...yes.

Exactly this, how i would love to go back to AG for a day in the 70's for those big games against Liverpool, Man Utd & Leeds in front of 38,000, the atmosphere and emotion was something i've barely experienced since in anything else, it's a whole different experience nowadays and has been for a long time, i blame it on removing the old floodlights !!! 😃

• Like 1

My top 5 favourite grounds

- Griffin Park (decent away allocation, perfect location coming from Bristol and plenty of pubs

- Upton Park (loved the style of the ground)

- St James Park (away end is crap, but the ground is brilliant) 

- City Ground (style of the ground, location, away allocation)

- County Ground (as above) 

Facilities could probably be better in all bar St James Park, but from an atmosphere, day out perspective, those were the most enjoyable

18 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I like QPR's ground . Old school , I've found a spot with a decent view (lower tier ) and QPR mates & family make it a great day. Facilities are shite though.

Zero legroom, terrible view (upper tier), cramped, horrendous concourses, crap WCs, catering, the lot.

I'll take MK's ground, every time. Nothing they can do about the fans, it's about the facilities. 

Worst I've been to? The old Wembley, 2001ish. Worse than Trumpton.

A good old pukka pie 🥧 makes a ground for me

, I use to love going to Boundry park ( Oldham for you youngs uns ) pub at top of the road then walk down to the ground and get my pie , always freezing ( only Stoke beats it full coldness )remember going there on a freezing cold night game with my young un pint pie & 3 points decent view and a decent allocation my young un loved it ,  Chesterfield away ( saltergate another dump but loved going there , 2-2 draw absolute freezing testimintanu scored a cracker nights like that got my young un hooked, he 34 now with a family and takes his kids all from them cold nights up north 

Edited by redkev

Atmosphere. Location and surroundings. Tradition. Its all about the feel of the ground and surrounding area for me. I love Villa Park. Been there with City a lot and also as a neutral. Big stands and atmosphere. 

White Hart Lane was fabulous (Soft spot for Spurs). The old shelf along the side of the ground which used to bounce.

As for smaller grounds, I like old grounds. Burnley, in amongst the terraced houses and Bradford 

• Like 1