IGNORED

Pre-season Friendlies

noize

Just now, noize said:

If it was possible,. Rangers or Celtic are a good shout.

Yeah, that's the nearest you'll get to playing against good sides that play a Championship style I reckon. Neither would park the bus against Bristol City but it would be realistic to a Championship game in style at least.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Who do people suggest though? Unless you can find a high end League 1 side that play that way you are reduced to playing teams like Forest Green that park the bus and you beat them 6-0 anyway. Nothing learned whatsoever, just a nice run-out for everyone. No Premier League side will come down and park their bus.

If they park the bus would we really score 6 ? 
That’s the point of the exercise to work out how we score 6. 

24 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

If they park the bus would we really score 6 ? 
That’s the point of the exercise to work out how we score 6. 

Well, we hammered all these teams in pre-season last year and it didn't help us break down teams at CHAMPIONSHIP level who are better coached and more tactically aware than the likes of Newport County and FGR.................

You might be able to find a local side to play you in an unofficial training game where the specifics are that they park the bus whilst you try and break them down. That only works if the manager of the opposition is actively trying to coach his side on how to park the bus otherwise nobody would be interested. Perhaps you have scenario games in training that are 11 v 14 where the 14 have seven strung across the back? We could do that if we had a squad of 30 players!! I haven't got a clue tbh in terms of how you would coach it at pro level but we certainly haven't found an answer yet.

Edited by Numero Uno

47 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Well, we hammered all these teams in pre-season last year and it didn't help us break down teams at CHAMPIONSHIP level who are better coached and more tactically aware than the likes of Newport County and FGR.................

You might be able to find a local side to play you in an unofficial training game where the specifics are that they park the bus whilst you try and break them down. That only works if the manager of the opposition is actively trying to coach his side on how to park the bus otherwise nobody would be interested. Perhaps you have scenario games in training that are 11 v 14 where the 14 have seven strung across the back? We could do that if we had a squad of 30 players!! I haven't got a clue tbh in terms of how you would coach it at pro level but we certainly haven't found an answer yet.

Different management team and different players pre season compared to now.

There is clearly a difference in the styles of the previous management and the current management so you can’t really draw a comparison between what we did last preseason to what is happening now.

And that isn’t intended to start a NP vs LM debate because that is not my intention.

Just suggesting there is a difference in the styles of play.

Like you say we haven’t found the answer yet and whatever they do to get there, I really hope we find it 🤞🏻

Not sure I have seen it mentioned anywhere on here But Brian Tinnion was on the sober sports talk podcast and he was talking about pre season and that the Community game is pencilled in again and also that the last pre season game before the season season starts we have a foreign team coming over to play, he did not say who against or where it will played HPC or Ashton gate but something different to previous years.

4 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Not sure I have seen it mentioned anywhere on here But Brian Tinnion was on the sober sports talk podcast and he was talking about pre season and that the Community game is pencilled in again and also that the last pre season game before the season season starts we have a foreign team coming over to play, he did not say who against or where it will played HPC or Ashton gate but something different to previous years.

Perhaps it's part of the deal with the foreign team we're getting our new forward from? Tongue in cheek but you never know

• Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 09:49, frenchred said:

How people are looking forward to an extra dose of Boring Ball absolutely befuddles me!

Can't wait for this shit season to end and then that's it for me!

Wouldn't say it has been shit at all, sure some poor results against teams we should have beaten, but we did beat Hammers Leicester, Saints (in case you forgot) wacked Watford and Blackburn, drew with Forest...and we will probably end up with more points than last season under Nige, so  very much a mixed bag, you say that's the end for you, so are you giving up?

I can't because it's a lifetime commitment, and like life it has it's up's and downs. 

If you can't see the improvement in the last 6 games (12 points) that is promotion form then I don't think you are being totally genuine with yourself. 

So many on here still not prepared to give Manning any credit, last match for me was a real indication we are playing as a team, and were the better side on the day, carry on like this there is more than a chance we can worry the top half next season.

What worries me  more is how we were to cope if we do get promoted.

2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Wouldn't say it has been shit at all, sure some poor results against teams we should have beaten, but we did beat Hammers Leicester, Saints (in case you forgot) wacked Watford and Blackburn, drew with Forest...and we will probably end up with more points than last season under Nige, so  very much a mixed bag, you say that's the end for you, so are you giving up?

I can't because it's a lifetime commitment, and like life it has it's up's and downs. 

If you can't see the improvement in the last 6 games (12 points) that is promotion form then I don't think you are being totally genuine with yourself. 

So many on here still not prepared to give Manning any credit, last match for me was a real indication we are playing as a team, and were the better side on the day, carry on like this there is more than a chance we can worry the top half next season.

I really wouldn’t worry about us getting promoted’ chill 

1 minute ago, Glen hump said:

I really wouldn’t worry about us getting promoted’ chill 

Yea but it has happened and I was there, the Prem League is a very different animal to First Division....and is a cause for concern, and don't write us off we have a brilliant young coach that is going places.

• Haha 2

Just now, cotswoldred2 said:

Yea but it has happened and I was there, the Prem League is a very different animal to First Division....and is a cause for concern, and don't write us off we have a brilliant young coach that is going places.

Your concerned about something that hasn’t happened and is unlikely to happen’  brilliant young coach has a lot to do before you can call him brilliant 

• Flames 1

On 17/04/2024 at 13:55, Numero Uno said:

Weston Super Mare is an obvious miss, Clifton St Vincents, De Veys and Totterdown United..............I think that covers it in terms of decently supported opposition in this region.

Ah, Totterdown, my old stamping ground, one of the places in Bristol that you could go on a pub crawl around a couple of blocks. Used to watch Totterdown Ath play on the slope in Vicky Park, when City didn't have a game. Wonder what happened to them, did they amalgamate with another team to become Utd or just faded away.  The good old days!

On 17/04/2024 at 09:03, elhombrecito said:

Crikey. I'm really looking forward to the end of this season. I can't even contemplate the thought of pre-season friendlies yet 🫣

I’m the same , look forward to the summer break —————- for 2 weeks then can’t wait for the season to start again 

On 17/04/2024 at 10:24, Sleepy1968 said:

No one in your league will want to play you - properly at least. Prem oppo will be on lucrative pre season tours, or will demand a big fee, or send squad playets/u21s.

Decent L1 teams are probably the best we'll end up with.

What someone like promotion chasing Bristol Rovers 👀

3 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

You wouldn't, I would!

I'm fed up to the back teeth of being served up mediocre crap performances when the chips are down.

These last few games when there is no pressure and Mr boring has reverted to the previous managers way of playing proves nothing

For next season, yes I have given up

• Flames 1

On 17/04/2024 at 16:38, Numero Uno said:

You might be able to find a local side to play you in an unofficial training game where the specifics are that they park the bus whilst you try and break them down. 

So we raise an OTIB team and park the bus so as to help the team. 🙂

6 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

wrexham?

• Haha 1

On 17/04/2024 at 05:02, alexukhc said:

Got Aldershot ain’t we? Would love my lad to be mascot as nice n local for me and his family, easy to get to for all

I was brought up in Guildford so know the Rec well. 

City games were always their biggest draw unless they were in the same division as Reading. Right fiesty affairs as the home and away support were separated by a fence and three fat blokes with yellow bins on. My old man got hit by a shoe one season and whisky bottle the next. :laugh:!

was there for Shutts scissors kick. Screamer!