IGNORED

Pre-season Friendlies

noize

20 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Not sure I have seen it mentioned anywhere on here But Brian Tinnion was on the sober sports talk podcast and he was talking about pre season and that the Community game is pencilled in again and also that the last pre season game before the season season starts we have a foreign team coming over to play, he did not say who against or where it will played HPC or Ashton gate but something different to previous years.

Mbude's team from Belgium?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paignton red said:

Willem would be a good one.

This comes up every year.

They’re (currently) a second tier Dutch club who are typically in the lower reaches of the top flight.

From a friendly/revenue point of view it wouldn’t bring in many floating fans. Willem just aren’t a big name or a big club. It would no doubt be good for fans who are engaged in the link between the two clubs but that is in reality a very small proportion of the fanbase and doesn’t butter enough parsnips to make a game at Ashton massively commercially viable.

I get why people ask for it - but from a £ point of view I don’t see it happening.

(NB - Per Opta rankings the Dutch Eredivise is one step below the Championship and the second tier isn’t in the top 30. Competitive wise that makes Willem a Rotherham in real terms currently. There is a merit in playing them as a test of a team who should be a little worse than us based on current record, but the commercial side often wins out here)

• Like 1

City used to play friendlies (H&A) against Bristol's twins Hannover and Bordeaux.

When McInnes took over we had a pre season tour of  Scotland.

Then again as a reward for we fans, as it's July why not Las Palmas away?

23 hours ago, frenchred said:

You wouldn't, I would!

I'm fed up to the back teeth of being served up mediocre crap performances when the chips are down.

These last few games when there is no pressure and Mr boring has reverted to the previous managers way of playing proves nothing

For next season, yes I have given up

Tat tah then 

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This comes up every year.

They’re (currently) a second tier Dutch club who are typically in the lower reaches of the top flight.

From a friendly/revenue point of view it wouldn’t bring in many floating fans. Willem just aren’t a big name or a big club. It would no doubt be good for fans who are engaged in the link between the two clubs but that is in reality a very small proportion of the fanbase and doesn’t butter enough parsnips to make a game at Ashton massively commercially viable.

I get why people ask for it - but from a £ point of view I don’t see it happening.

(NB - Per Opta rankings the Dutch Eredivise is one step below the Championship and the second tier isn’t in the top 30. Competitive wise that makes Willem a Rotherham in real terms currently. There is a merit in playing them as a test of a team who should be a little worse than us based on current record, but the commercial side often wins out here)

When have any pre season friendlies against a team from abroad drew big crowds?

Id bet a game against willem would be a normal a crowd as any.