IGNORED

Pre-season Friendlies

noize

I am aware that you cant always take a lot from pre-season friendlies, we have seen many times in the prem, a team pre-season looks outstanding scoring for fun then when the season starts they are awful, so i get that point.

However, in our situation i am really hoping we make the most of pre-season friendlies and take on some real quality teams, maybe quite out of our comfort zone. 

The reason for this is because i still don't think Manning has got to grips with different styles of play at this level, having a decent Plan B, and how to approach different style teams, i think the friendlies could be really valuable in getting some great experience and maybe test a few things.

Basically i don't want to see pre-season friendlies with the likes of forest green rovers or standard liege, I would like to see Manning make real use of the opportunity to fine tune his tactics against decent opposition with quality players.

I guess there is also a balance of you don't want to get battered pre-season and go into the season de-motivated.

Not sure if people agree, or how they see pre-season friendlies? 

7 minutes ago, noize said:

I am aware that you cant always take a lot from pre-season friendlies, we have seen many times in the prem, a team pre-season looks outstanding scoring for fun then when the season starts they are awful, so i get that point.

However, in our situation i am really hoping we make the most of pre-season friendlies and take on some real quality teams, maybe quite out of our comfort zone. 

The reason for this is because i still don't think Manning has got to grips with different styles of play at this level, having a decent Plan B, and how to approach different style teams, i think the friendlies could be really valuable in getting some great experience and maybe test a few things.

Basically i don't want to see pre-season friendlies with the likes of forest green rovers or standard liege, I would like to see Manning make real use of the opportunity to fine tune his tactics against decent opposition with quality players.

I guess there is also a balance of you don't want to get battered pre-season and go into the season de-motivated.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the friendlies. If we give someone a bit of a turning over in one of them, we'll probably end up with their manager in a few months time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

14 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I'll be keeping a close eye on the friendlies. If we give someone a bit of a turning over in one of them, we'll probably end up with their manager in a few months time...

image.jpeg.a038ad5fa93dd41578b2c627c95b9dc5.jpeg

Pre- season matches are obviously very crucial for the preparations for the new campaign but the results are secondary to the real benefits of player fitness and the opportunity to use any new tactics and systems to evaluate their efficacy.

Subconsciously or indeed consciously players  really don’t want to get injured before the real business starts and are never 100% committed and precisely why I’ve never ever watched a preseason game.

Edited by Robbored

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Subconsciously or indeed consciously players  really don’t want to get injured before the real business starts and are never 100% committed and precisely why I’ve never ever watched a preseason game.

If you’ve never watched a preseason game, then you can’t say that. In fact, that makes this comment the type of wild speculation that I know you hate….

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 2

43 minutes ago, noize said:

I’m not sure it’s the case that we should be playing better sides.

Many LM supporters would say that our better performances have come against the better sides we’ve played this season and that’s probably true.

The real challenge has been the teams inability to create chances against the supposedly poorer sides who are happy to sit in against us.

So maybe it’s those sorts of sides we should be facing in preseason 🤔

52 minutes ago, noize said:

How people are looking forward to an extra dose of Boring Ball absolutely befuddles me!

Can't wait for this shit season to end and then that's it for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 2

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Pre- season matches are obviously very crucial for the preparations for the new campaign but the results are secondary to the real benefits of player fitness and the opportunity to use any new tactics and systems to evaluate their efficacy.

Coaching staff will pick up on players who are coasting through pre-season and it won’t end well for them if they think it won’t effect their chances of starting the first game of the season 

No one in your league will want to play you - properly at least. Prem oppo will be on lucrative pre season tours, or will demand a big fee, or send squad playets/u21s.

Decent L1 teams are probably the best we'll end up with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noize said:

Don't get too excited but Manning will be pitting his tactical nous against the mighty Aldershot.

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

If you’ve never watched a preseason game, then you can’t say that. In fact, that makes this comment the type of wild speculation that I know you hate….

I don’t need to watch a preseason game to know Silvio 
It’s human nature, common sense if you like that players will not be 100% committed in a warm up game as they are in proper, points at stake Championship game.

No player wants to risk injury prior to real stuff starting

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Don't get too excited but Manning will be pitting his tactical nous against the mighty Aldershot.

That game is part of the transfer deal and an opportunity to enhance players fitness

For everyone slating pre season friendlies i suggest they cast their mind back to the summer of 2017.

Bobby Reid had one of the best seasons I've seen of anyone in a Bristol City shirt, he was magic as a false 9/No.10 and the only reason he ended there was on the back of his form in pre season! 

Glad to see he has excelled his season at Fulham despite his decision making in the final third holding him back a little. 

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

No one in your league will want to play you - properly at least. Prem oppo will be on lucrative pre season tours, or will demand a big fee, or send squad playets/u21s.

Decent L1 teams are probably the best we'll end up with.

It's exactly this. We never field our 1st choice 11 in  a friendly so if we were to get Arsenal and Liverpool down here for pre season they would be fielding unknown youth players while the Prem squad were in Dubai or somewhere.

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Many LM supporters would say that our better performances have come against the better sides we’ve played this season and that’s probably true.

The real challenge has been the teams inability to create chances against the supposedly poorer sides who are happy to sit in against us.

Spot on.

If you want decent opposition that might be happy to play us and is realistic to the style of play we will encounter in the Championship then get up to Scotland and play against Rangers and Celtic.........

We will obviously have the usual Newport, Cheltenham, Swindon and Exeter fixtures with Aldershot sprinkled in. If people want a Prem team at the Gate the pond we would be fishing in would include Luton, Palace, Forest and Bournemouth. The problem with playing Prem teams is they all want you to cover their expenses for the "privilege" of playing them (which probably won't be covered by 7K watching us play Luton).

2 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

The problem is picking the right sides. Top end of League 1 is the nearest we'll get in terms of opposition being good enough to sit in and give us a challenge (Oxford maybe............).

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Haha 1

Perhaps we should play against the cream of the south west to get numbers in and fan engagement… Cheltenham, FGR, Plymouth, Exeter, Manor Farm etc. Can’t think of anyone else that I may have missed.. 

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

Perhaps we should play against the cream of the south west to get numbers in and fan engagement… Cheltenham, FGR, Plymouth, Exeter, Manor Farm etc. Can’t think of anyone else that I may have missed.. 

Weston Super Mare is an obvious miss, Clifton St Vincents, De Veys and Totterdown United..............I think that covers it in terms of decently supported opposition in this region.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Weston Super Mare is an obvious miss, Clifton St Vincents, De Veys and Totterdown United..............I think that covers it in terms of decently supported opposition in this region.

you forgot Rovers...

...always wanted to see us play Willand

• Flames 1

FWIW Nige had a different approach to a lot of managers / head coaches for pre-season.

Get the players away to do the hard yards, no euro friendly games, basically bonding and getting the players fit.

Then a series of friendlies interspersed with training to refine fitness and tactics.

He didn’t want to waste time abroad prepping for friendlies and the lost time afterwards.

Its not necessarily right or wrong, just different.

Will be interesting to see how LM goes about it.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If you want decent opposition that might be happy to play us and is realistic to the style of play we will encounter in the Championship then get up to Scotland and play against Rangers and Celtic.........

We will obviously have the usual Newport, Cheltenham, Swindon and Exeter fixtures with Aldershot sprinkled in. If people want a Prem team at the Gate the pond we would be fishing in would include Luton, Palace, Forest and Bournemouth. The problem with playing Prem teams is they all want you to cover their expenses for the "privilege" of playing them (which probably won't be covered by 7K watching us play Luton).

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if some posters found out we we paying Bournemouth or Luton to play us. Apoplectic.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

This is a really good point, something i had not considered, you are right. The teams we have struggled with this season are the "park the bus" type teams, really difficult to break down and find some creativity, Maybe that should be some of the focus.

Just now, noize said:

This is a really good point, something i had not considered, you are right. The teams we have struggled with this season are the "park the bus" type teams, really difficult to break down and find some creativity, Maybe that should be some of the focus.

Who do people suggest though? Unless you can find a high end League 1 side that play that way you are reduced to playing teams like Forest Green that park the bus and you beat them 6-0 anyway. Nothing learned whatsoever, just a nice run-out for everyone. No Premier League side will come down and park their bus.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If it was possible,. Rangers or Celtic are a good shout.