IGNORED

48 years ago today.

GrahamC

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We signed a few from Scotland - Gillies, Sweeney, Fitzpatrick spring to mind 

Merrick, Ritchie, Gow, Tainton, Rodgers, Whitehead all came through our youth setup.

Not sure about Gary Colliers history offhand.

Drysdale was actually a local lad who we signed from Hartlepool and Cheesley was signed for £30k from Norwich, though also a local lad.

I remember signing Gould from Wolves, Hunt from Coventry, Cormack from Liverpool and Hunter from Leeds once we were in Div 1.  We also signed Jon Shaw from Leeds.

Can't believe my memory is still good enough to remember all this.

Anyone else remember much about other players of that time.

Collier was Bristolian, Horfield lad.

Garland coming home from Leicester completed the trio AD brought in to help the promotion squad stay up, with Hunter & Cormack all were excellent signings, Chris’ late burst of goals that year saved us.

Fitzpatrick was later on (& not very good).

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Collier was Bristolian, Horfield lad.

Garland coming home from Leicester completed the trio AD brought in to help the promotion squad stay up, with Hunter & Cormack all were excellent signings, Chris’ late burst of goals that year saved us.

Fitzpatrick was later on (& not very good).

Joe Royle 4 on debut wasn't it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

Brilliant memories. And it’s easy for me to be nostalgic. But, to be honest, it’s pretty good today as well. That Portsmouth game was probably the clubs biggest game in 60+ years, but the attendance was about the same (just a bit more) as the the recent Leicester game. During our 4 year stay in the old Div 1 - and I attended virtually every home game- we sometimes got 30+ k attendances - and once 38k-  but the crowd was often 16-17 k. To be honest, pretty much everything about City is better today, although I’d love another shot at the top flight before I snuff it.

I don't think we had many crowds of 16/17 thousand in the first division, some maybe towards the end of our time there when we were no longer competitive and pretty much nailed on for relegation, that last season, our average was around 23,000 the first 3 years and even 19,000 in our last season.

Edited by pillred

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If I remember correctly, Trevor Jacobs ran it for a few years and it was Ray Cashley's local.  Am I correct?

I met Ray's cousin or sister not sure which somewhere down town on a good night out.  We arranged to meet for a date a couple of days later.

She didn't turn up.  

50 minutes ago, pillred said:

I don't think we had many crowds of 16/17 thousand in the first division, some maybe towards the end of our time there when we were no longer competitive and pretty much nailed on for relegation, that last season, our average was around 23,000 the first 3 years and even 19,000 in our last season.

Quite a few crowds against the likes of Leicester, Sunderland, Coventry, Ipswich, QPR & Middlesbro' were 16-18k.

Not big crowd pullers and at the time not huge away support.

I remember being in a crowd of 12k against Middlesbro' on one occasion.

Don't forget crowds of 27-33k against the big boys, and even more on some occasions, dragged the average up to 22/23k before the relegation season.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

41 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Quite a few crowds against the likes of Leicester, Sunderland, Coventry, Ipswich, QPR & Middlesbro' were 16-18k.

Don't forget crowds of 27-33k against the big boys, and even more on some occasions, dragged the average up to 22/23k before the relegation season.

Think a few turnstile "operators" did ok on matchdays mind nogs..... 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I could barely believe that but you were right 22nd April 1980 12,013.

25 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Think a few turnstile "operators" did ok on matchdays mind nogs..... 

I remember the infamous City v Chelsea FA Cup game, when they announced the "official" attendance the crowd laughed they actually laughed they later amended it up by quite a few thousand.

18 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Most of the players lived up round that way back then jack.... 

ah ok, bit before my time! 

We lived down the road from the BJ. Mike Gibson was our postman - the old man was always star struck whenever he saw him!

• Flames 1