IGNORED

48 years ago today.

GrahamC

21 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Was a wonderful night, we lost the last game of the season at home to Notts County at AG a few days later

Our lads were a bit like some of us have been, trying to play Sunday mornings after a Saturday night out on the raz!

Edited by 42nite

9 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Our lads were a bit like some of us have been, trying to play Sunday mornings after a Saturday night out on the raz!

Yep, story I have been told since was they spent the majority of the time between the Portsmouth & Notts County games in the Baccy Jar in Whitchurch..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A great night indeed and a great result, though it wasn't that great a game as far as I can remember.  The only time I have ever set foot on the hallowed turf at AG and filled with excitement at the thought of what was coming next season.

3 generations of us watched the game from the grandstand (we normally stood in the uncovered end in those days).

Edited by wendyredredrobin

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Was a wonderful night, we lost the last game of the season at home to Notts County at AG a few days later

The players were still drunk. It was a surreal experience, going into AG knowing we were now a Div 1 team.

A few months later before THAT 1-0 win at Highbury, City lost 2-0 at Reading in a warm up game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, story I have been told since was they spent the majority of the time between the Portsmouth & Notts County games in the Baccy Jar in Whitchurch..

It's all true Graham. Cheese told me that Dicks stood in the dressing room before the Notts County game and suspicious of the look of his squad asked them something like; "have you lot been out drinking this week?" "No boss," was the collective feeble reply. 

City went on to lose 2-1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A great night indeed and a great result, though it wasn't that great a game as far as I can remember.  The only time I have ever set foot on the hallowed turf at AG and filled with excitement at the thought of what was coming next season.

3 generations of us watched the game from the grandstand (we normally stood in the uncovered end in those days).

I was on the pitch after the Notts County game as well - poor game and result but it didn't really matter, the excitement of promotion was very much still there and the pitch invasion had similar numbers.

I've still got a handful of grass from the Portsmouth game selotaped down on a piece of card in the loft, very faded but still very much discernible as grass.

Somehow ended up in the Peeler by the bridge on promotion night (not been a pub for a long time now of course) and think of that night every time I'm up that way.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

They were in there most days throughout the season fuelled on courage director’s bitter. Maybe it’s the time to include it in the present teams training program at the HPC

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

They were in there most days throughout the season fuelled on courage director’s bitter. Maybe it’s the time to include it in the present teams training program at the HPC

HPC. 

Half.

Pissed.

on

Courage.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

A useless bit of trivia. Playing for Portsmouth that night was an 18 year-old Chris Kamara.

Unbelievable Geoff!! (sorry I couldn't resist:laugh:).

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If I remember correctly, Trevor Jacobs ran it for a few years and it was Ray Cashley's local.  Am I correct?

100%.

My old man was very good mates with Ray’s brother John, played football & skittles with him.

He took me to 5 or 6 away games that season (I was 12!) & although he probably could have got complementary tickets always insisted on paying.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The defeat by Notts County was 100% because the team hadn't been sober all week after the Pompey match!

Is there any footage of the Notts Co game? You would have thought so as it was the final match and we had been promoted, but I don't ever recall seeing any.

Thinking back to that period, starting with the 1970 Spurs semi final, we then had the 2 epic Leeds games, Portsmouth promotion night, the fantastic win at Arsenal & the Coventry escape all within the first 6 years or so of me following City. May have missed a few too.

I was at all of them and it was a really exciting time to follow BCFC.

OK I was a teenager which no doubt helped, but really each of these games will last in the memory forever with 11 players representing City we were really proud of and identified with and it really magnifies how rare these great events have been since.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

We signed a few from Scotland - Gillies, Sweeney, Fitzpatrick spring to mind 

Merrick, Ritchie, Gow, Tainton, Rodgers, Whitehead all came through our youth setup.

Not sure about Gary Colliers history offhand.

Drysdale was actually a local lad who we signed from Hartlepool and Cheesley was signed for £30k from Norwich, though also a local lad.

I remember signing Gould from Wolves, Hunt from Coventry, Cormack from Liverpool and Hunter from Leeds once we were in Div 1.  We also signed Jon Shaw from Leeds.

Can't believe my memory is still good enough to remember all this.

Anyone else remember much about other players of that time.

3 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

As my one and only time on the pitch too, I plucked a few blades of grass from the centre circle after the game as a memento. Went home, put them in a small, square plastic box. I have no idea what happened to it.😐

Done the same at coventry when we stayed up

Looking back; an unique occurred in the league table.

74/75 Sunderland, City and WBA were 4th, 5th & 6th respectively.

12 months later in 75/76 The same three were 1st, 2nd & 3rd respectively

A few years later when 3pts for a win was introduced, Bolton fans claim they and City would have gone up. Sunderland would still be Champs with WBA 2nd. Bolton would have pipped City to third spot as City W 19 D 15 which would have produced  72 pts today. Bolton W 20 D 12 which also would produce 72 pts and they had a better goal diff. 

Brilliant memories. And it’s easy for me to be nostalgic. But, to be honest, it’s pretty good today as well. That Portsmouth game was probably the clubs biggest game in 60+ years, but the attendance was about the same (just a bit more) as the the recent Leicester game. During our 4 year stay in the old Div 1 - and I attended virtually every home game- we sometimes got 30+ k attendances - and once 38k-  but the crowd was often 16-17 k. To be honest, pretty much everything about City is better today, although I’d love another shot at the top flight before I snuff it.

51 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We signed a few from Scotland - Gillies, Sweeney, Fitzpatrick spring to mind 

Merrick, Ritchie, Gow, Tainton, Rodgers, Whitehead all came through our youth setup.

Not sure about Gary Colliers history offhand.

Drysdale was actually a local lad who we signed from Hartlepool and Cheesley was signed for £30k from Norwich, though also a local lad.

I remember signing Gould from Wolves, Hunt from Coventry, Cormack from Liverpool and Hunter from Leeds once we were in Div 1.  We also signed Jon Shaw from Leeds.

Can't believe my memory is still good enough to remember all this.

Anyone else remember much about other players of that time.

Drysdale was born and brought up in Wingate, Durham and started his career at Lincoln before we signed him from Hartlepool.