IGNORED

Academy Retained Lists- Prev 2 yrs

Looking at recent retained lists for Academy players over last couple of years, clubs do really hit the nail in knowing if they are good enough, what they are currently up to now. Can’t imagine how brutal being released as a young footballer all the dedication families put into it growing up.

what our recent released are currently upto :

2022:

Khari Allen - Yate Town
Louis Britton - Mallon & Tiptree
Barney Soady - Cardiff Met Uni
Nathaniel Williams - Chippenham Town

2023:

Will Buse - Bath City
Prince Henry - Bromsgrove Sporting
Josh Owers - Yeovil
Joe Porton - Melksham Town
James Taylor - Truro City

Fair play to them for keeping at it, and working hard to get back to where they want to. 

Can anyone think of any academy players who have been released by us and go on to bigger or better things?

• Like 3

No.

Vince Harper got back in the league via Eastleigh & is now at Exeter.

Conor Lemonheigh-Evans did the same at Torquay & is now at Stockport.

Exceptions to the rule & no-one has made it at Championship level yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Zac Bell and Ben Acey playing for Taunton last week. Another two that I doubt will make it in the pro game, certainly not Bell.

I thought Acey was meant to be the next big thing?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Zac Bell and Ben Acey playing for Taunton last week. Another two that I doubt will make it in the pro game, certainly not Bell.

Think the latter is already planning on going back to Guernsey. 

The one that’s really stood out to me in recent years is Opi Edwards. From what I saw of him for Weston this year, would honestly say he’s probably toolstation level, if that. 

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Think the latter is already planning on going back to Guernsey. 

The one that’s really stood out to me in recent years is Opi Edwards. From what I saw of him for Weston this year, would honestly say he’s probably toolstation level, if that. 

On the checkout?

• Haha 3

Acey is decent on his day. Unfortunately for him he's another one of the 21's squad that seems to have lost their way.

James Morton is one who may get back to league football. Dropped down to Weston but has recently signed for Southend who have had a strong finish to the season and may push on next year.

However much stick we want to give, very few prove us wrong.

Its a tough gig trying to get a deal when released.  And once they leave that pro environment it’s hard to get back.  Fair play to Harper, 30+ apps for Exeter.  He was the one I was really surprised we let go.  But it was still the right decision.

James Morton (it’s his birthday today) is at NL Southend.

I guess for some, once out of the full time game they can earn more holding down a job and getting £200 per game somewhere.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dunno, wiki says we released him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolando_Aarons

Several in that era at 14/15 years old left to go to bigger clubs:

Jacob Maddox - left for Chelsea, now at Forest Green

Kyle Scott - left for Chelsea now at FC Cincinnati

Herbie Kane - left for Liverpool now at Barnsley and doing very well. 

Any more? 

15 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Any more? 

Was my “in the City wilderness years” when I fell out of love with footie.

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Remember Tristan Plummer was going to be the big star ( u17 England international etc) , but he never got another EFL club after being released - played non league for several years including WSM. 

Starring on Gogglebox instead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Remember Tristan Plummer was going to be the big star ( u17 England international etc) , but he never got another EFL club after being released - played non league for several years including WSM. 

Came back from u17 World Cup with a “this isn’t what I play football for” type mentality apparently. Hated all the noise, stress and media around it. Probably explains why he wanted to stay at non league level basically forever thereafter. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Came back from u17 World Cup with a “this isn’t what I play football for” type mentality apparently. Hated all the noise, stress and media around it. Probably explains why he wanted to stay at non league level basically forever thereafter. 

Thats understandable tbf. Not everyone is psychologically fit for that kind of stuff. That's why I didn't become a pro footballer and decided to instead write shit on a football forum...

...that and I was rubbish at football...

• Haha 5

He’s a top bloke Tristan, really nice down to earth guy. Can see why pro football might not possibly have appealed to him back then. Think he still keeps in contact with some of the England u17s squad from that time such as Danny Welbeck,  Danny Rose etc. 

Tristan’s son is in one of the younger age groups at city I believe. Big strong lad up front but good ability/technique as well -definitely one to keep an eye on as he hopefully develops through the age groups. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Any more? 

Maddox and Kane at least weren’t released though, they were pinched through EPPP

• Like 1