IGNORED

Barcelona recommendations

1960maaan

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Sagrada Familia. But book it in advance. Absolutely stunning. 

It is incredible isn't it? Supposedly finished in 2026, which is when ill go and see it again.

Id also recommend Casa Batilo, and Parc Guell if you like Gaudi architecture. Even if you don't, they are incredible to look at. The gothic quarter is a good place to get lost in. I suppose you have to visit La Boqueria, about halfway down the tourist trap of La Ramblas. Then there is the seaside, the Olympic stadium on the hill, the cable cars and the football stadium, although as that's being done up there would be no tour. The trophy room is impressive! All of this before you even talk about the food and fantastic weather.

You can't go wrong really. I love the place

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Thinking of taking a short trip in May. Any must sees, places to visit or recommendations ?
Is the beach area or Town better to stay ?  

Any ideas would be appreciated .

I stayed in the Gothic Quarter...

Where have all the Goths gone?

Seriously, while there visit the Boquaria market off the Rambla. I ate at the famous restaurant El Quim there - because I have a juvenile sense of humour. :dunno:

While there have a paella. The people of Valencia claim they invented paella, but the Catalans dispute this. At any rates, it's tops in Barcelona.

From the shoreline, take a 30 minute walk and you can climb Montjuc, a hill that overlooks the city and holds a castle (with a nice military museum in it, if that floats your boat) plus the various installations of the 1992 Olympic games and a motor racing track. Oh and it's got a funicular railway up to it, which sometimes even works. 

For beaches, I'd say forget Barca's minute, although very walkable, shoreline and take the light railway (it's cheap and easy to work out) out to one of the Costa Blanca beaches just north of the city; we went to Tossa Del Mar. Because I have a juvenile sense of humour. Sitges, to the south, is said to be nice but is also reputedly the gay capital of Spain. Not that that should put anyone off!

Oh and visit La Sagria Familia and Nou Camp (if the latter has reopened to tourists), because, although it's sooo touristy, you'll kick yourself if you don't. 

• Thanks 1

Wonderful City. It’s my favourite.

Been there many many times and usually stay just off La Ramblas. There is sooo much to see - a short stay just whets your appetite for more which is exactly what happened to us!

One major issue that every tourist needs to be aware of is pickpockets. I had my wallet taken just as we got into tube as the doors shut. The bastards were dressed like Ninja’s and mid European at a guess.

Send a PM if you want more info about Barca.

• Thanks 1

Another recommendation of La Boquaria, very enjoyable to walk around and try bits. I'm considering a tour of it next time I visit.

A day trip to Sitges is well worth considering too, I stayed there last time I visited and got the train to Barcelona from there. 40 minutes each way and cheap as chips.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It is incredible isn't it? Supposedly finished in 2026, which is when I’ll go and see it again.

What really took my breath away was the inside. The outside is spectacular, but you can see photos of it, so it’s not a big surprise, apart maybe from the scale. But I really hadn’t expected how beautiful it is inside.

Yes, we’re planning to go again when it’s finished. Trouble is, I think half the world has the same idea. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Thinking of taking a short trip in May. Any must sees, places to visit or recommendations ?

My mates lived in Poble Sec between Las Ramblas and Montjuic for years. It's a fantastic city away from the most touristy parts, which while stunning, get unbearably hectic.

Can Paixano aka La Xampanyeria for insanely resonably priced and delicious cava- but you must buy tapas while swilling it. It's a unique experience, but always busy unless you get there before 11am (you're on your holidays)!

https://www.barcelona-life.com/la-xampanyeria

Bubo in the Born district sells the most incredible chocolate cake in the world:

https://bubo.es/en/cakes/739-xabina-mitja.html

Climb the Turo de la Rovira hill to the north of the city for amazing views, breathtaking stuff. Sagrada Familia looks particularly spectacular from here. If you can get there for sunset, even better:

https://verynicetravels.com/spain/2019/12/8/the-best-viewpoint-in-barcelona

Where city beaches are concerned, the further north you go from Barcelonetta, the better the quality (and less scam artists!), but as @KegCity and @Red-Robbo say, you're better off getting out of Barcelona altogether on the reliable and cheap public transport options for really decent beaches. Sitges is lovely.

Steer clear of Las Ramblas altogether, it's hideous.

Have a blast!

Edited by Stortz
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Sitges is lovely.

Sitges was a really pleasant surprise for us, we've said we'd stay there again and do more day trips to Barcelona. Very easy to get to and from and the train journey goes right along the cliff edge, has stunning views all the way along the route.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Over-rated. Been several times and never had a particularly good experience. 

Much better cities to visit in Spain such as Sevilla, Valencia, Madrid, San Sebastian. 

Totally agree regarding Valencia’ fantastic place ‘ proper mix of old and new 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Sitges was a really pleasant surprise for us, we've said we'd stay there again and do more day trips to Barcelona. Very easy to get to and from and the train journey goes right along the cliff edge, has stunning views all the way along the route.

52 minutes ago, KegCity said:

If you like a great costal walk, get the train from Sitges up a stop to Vilanova y Geltru, then walk back along the beach. Really beautiful.

(ot, what about 300 😮)

Edit, not sure how I've quoted like that haha

Edited by Stortz

10 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

You can add Cadiz to that list

Now we're talking! I was there in 2010 in a little square with several hundred locals crammed around a 32 inch TV watching the world cup final - partied late into the night! 

Granada is another cracker for its gratis tapa and flamenco caverns

• Like 1

Too many posters to reply to you all, but here are my views.

Firstly, for clarification, my youngest daughter studied in Sevilla for a year and, later, worked in Madrid for six months, so our visits to both Madrid and Andalusia were assisted by a knowledgeable local guide who, of course, speaks the language fluently (and knew some of the best local restaurants).

Barcelona, frankly, I found disappointing and edgy. I felt uncomfortable walking in the town, especially las Ramblas, having to constantly keep an eye out for the notorious pickpockets and scammers. The worst, though, was one evening when I went out for dinner with my wife and daughters. I used to smoke at the time and, after dinner, I chose to walk a few metres behind them so I could enjoy a post dinner cigarette. 
Would you believe it, much to my wife’s initial disgust and then amusement at my embarrassment, I was importuned by several black prostitutes!

Madrid is just a beautiful city, and, in complete contrast to Barcelona, a pleasure to walk around, both day and night.

Andalucia, of course, is a world apart.

I enjoyed Malaga, both the town itself and the numerous tapas bars.

Granada, as @Kid in the Riot mentioned, was interesting to see free tapas being offered with every drink.

We checked in to our hotel late morning and thought we would enjoy a nice glass of white wine in a small bar on a dusty square around the corner.

Our wine arrived, accompanied by a large plate of fried aubergines with honey. Absolutely amazing, and free!

Oh, and of course there’s also some Moorish building that is quite nice to look around - best to book ahead, though.

Sevilla.

A magnificent town that requires its own, dedicated post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Would you believe it, much to my wife’s initial disgust and then amusement at my embarrassment, I was importuned by several black prostitutes!

Could I ask why you needed to raise the colour of the skin of these people?

It's really not a good look.

In before 'describing them'.

12 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

As others have said, there are far nicer places to visit in Spain. 

San Sebastian, Valencia, Seville, Cadiz, Granada, Madrid. 

I had some of the best seafood I've ever tasted at the fish market in Cadiz. Tuna sushi, sea urchins, oysters, prawns, Turbot, squid, octopus, cuttle fish, sardines, ortiguillas, dog fish...all washed down with great wine and cold beer. 

San Sebastian...just knock yourself out with Pintxos and visit nearby Bilbao.

Barcelona is just a bit...meh imo..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Could I ask why you needed to raise the colour of the skin of these people?

It's really not a good look.

In before 'describing them'.

Hi Stortz,

I understand your question and its underlying point, but I assure you that there was no racist intent in my description of these particular ladies of the night.

I suppose you would have had to have been there to understand the situation and, to understand my wife’s ultimate amusement - loud, mocking laughter (at me) if truth be known.

As I mentioned, we left the restaurant at what was probably about 22H00, and I lingered behind my wife and young daughters to smoke a cigarette.

Suddenly, about half a dozen black and buxum young ladies - I say this because they were black and buxom, and also wearing extremely short skirts and very décolleté tops approached me and tried to drag me off for some (presumably) sordid encounter.

From their accents, I could tell that they were West Africans and, in French and in no uncertain terms, I told them that I was just not interested.

My wife and, unfortunately, my daughters heard the commotion and turned around to see what was going on.

As I mentioned, my wife (who also speaks fluent French) heard the conversation and found my protestations most amusing.

I doubt that, were a single white prostitute to have asked me, surreptitiously, whether I was ‘looking for it’, this would have had the same effect.

No offence taken, but hopefully this answers your question.

Have a look into this. Providing you’re happy on a moped, I really recommend a Vespa/Vesping self-tour.

We went up in the mountains, around the Gaudi sites and Olympic village to name a few.

This was a good few years ago mind, but it’s good to see it’s still going!

Deffo up there with my favourite things I’ve done while away abroad for a few days.

https://vesping.com/barcelona-tours-gps/?_gl=1*u7bhp*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjw26KxBhBDEiwAu6KXt4yq44kt3EnAuEd8_Y42K218L8Kc98y10lWGC2qRZRV5xat6EzOj0xoCG0sQAvD_BwE

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187497-d2162981-Reviews-Vesping-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hi Stortz,

I understand your question and its underlying point, but I assure you that there was no racist intent in my description of these particular ladies of the night.

I suppose you would have had to have been there to understand the situation and, to understand my wife’s ultimate amusement - loud, mocking laughter (at me) if truth be known.

As I mentioned, we left the restaurant at what was probably about 22H00, and I lingered behind my wife and young daughters to smoke a cigarette.

Suddenly, about half a dozen black and buxum young ladies - I say this because they were black and buxom, and also wearing extremely short skirts and very décolleté tops approached me and tried to drag me off for some (presumably) sordid encounter.

From their accents, I could tell that they were West Africans and, in French and in no uncertain terms, I told them that I was just not interested.

My wife and, unfortunately, my daughters heard the commotion and turned around to see what was going on.

As I mentioned, my wife (who also speaks fluent French) heard the conversation and found my protestations most amusing.

I doubt that, were a single white prostitute to have asked me, surreptitiously, whether I was ‘looking for it’, this would have had the same effect.

No offence taken, but hopefully this answers your question.

Hi Phil, I appreciate your reply.

When people seek to embellish descriptions of incidents or individuals by drawing attention to the colour of the skin of those involved, it's very rarely to draw a positive connotation, is it.

Would you have described white prostitutes primarily by the colour of their skin?

It seemed that you were especially horrified in your initial post due to the race of those involved? Incidentally, you must be quite the catch to elicit such a response amongst these black prostitutes, despite your family being nearby.

No further axe to grind, but language is important imo.

Have a good night.

Edited by Stortz
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Stortz said:

When people seek to embellish descriptions of incidents or individuals by drawing attention to the colour of the skin of those involved, it's very rarely to draw a positive connotation, is it.

Would you have described white prostitutes primarily by the colour of their skin?

It seemed that you were especially horrified in your initial post due to the race of those involved? Incidentally, you must be quite the catch to elicit such a response amongst these black prostitutes, despite your family being nearby.

Have a good night.

Blimey, this seems incredibly harsh. 

I think you're looking for something that just isn't there. 

• Like 1

Well I liked Barcelona and found Madrid unpleasant.  In touristy cafes on La Ramblas you get junkie beggars, but TBH I have seen that in my years in London. Try eating outdoors around Soho in the summer. Same rules apply.

However, overall Barcelona has a much lower crime rate than London - and many other UK cities. As does most of Spain.

Stats show Bilbao (don't let it put you off, it's well worth a visit) and the Canary Islands have the highest rates of property and crimes against the person in Spain. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

It seemed that you were especially horrified in your initial post due to the race of those involved?

Have a good night.

Rare, perhaps, but not unheard of, certainly as far as I am concerned.

Back in the late 1970s, I used to play Sunday morning football and, in order to reach our home pitch, it was necessary to cross St. Paul’s in Bristol, passing via City Road or Newfoundland Road, both of which at the time were largely inhabited by Caribbean families.

On numerous occasions, I have recounted to friends and family, the vicarious pleasure I felt in seeing whole families of black people, dressed in their Sunday best, walking proudly to Church.

I am not too proud to admit that, on occasion, I had a tear in my eye when I saw, and frequently heard, these families, sometimes extended families of perhaps ten or even twenty people, adults and children alike, walking proudly to whichever Church it was in which they were headed, practicing their hymns en route.

I assure you it used to be a glorious sight and, likewise, I don’t recall having seen a similar spectacle amongst white people.

Here in France, I frequently come across markets catering mainly for the black African population.

They are, for me, a wonderful sight, but apart from the array of ‘strange’ fruits, vegetables and spices, the bright colours of the clothing the women wear is amazing - in an extremely positive way.

I encounter Arab and black people on a daily basis, and have no problem with either, and why should I?

Nevertheless, I can’t help but notice certain traits, peculiar to these people, traits that were not common among the white people with whom I grew up in Bristol.

Have you ever heard a black African man laugh?

The sound is amazing; a deep, roaring noise that comes from the pit of his stomach and seems to make everything around him shake.

It always makes me smile, just like that old song ‘The Laughing Policeman’ often makes me chuckle.

So, various personal observations of black people, which I assure you I don’t consider negative and mention only because they stick in my mind as being different from most white people I know.

You must draw your own conclusions as to whether my observations and comments are racist.

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

enjoyed Malaga, both the town itself and the numerous tapas bars.

Incredibly underrated city. Everybody just thinks of it as the entry point to such wonderful places as Torremolinos, but it's a great city with wonderful restaurants and nightlife.

Without fail, every time I tell somebody that I'm going to Málaga, they seem to assume that I'm heading to some Benidorm style resort.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Incredibly underrated city. Everybody just thinks of it as the entry point to such wonderful places as Torremolinos, but it's a great city with wonderful restaurants and nightlife.

Without fail, every time I tell somebody that I'm going to Málaga, they seem to assume that I'm heading to some Benidorm style resort.

Stop telling everyone or the secret will get out.

On 24/04/2024 at 09:34, 1960maaan said:

I don't think it's been mentioned but Placa Reial, just off la Rambla (nearest metro: Liceu) is a great picturesque little square with restaurants/cafes/bars aplenty, lovely tall palm trees & great for a spot of people watching whilst sipping a cold cerveza. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I don't think it's been mentioned but Placa Reial, just off la Rambla (nearest metro: Liceu) is a great picturesque little square with restaurants/cafes/bars aplenty, lovely tall palm trees & great for a spot of people watching whilst sipping a cold cerveza. 

That’s exactly where we used to eat and very reasonably priced by Barca standards.

The city is full of Gaudi’s work including the cathedral  and the lampposts in Placa Reial. Park Guell and Casa mila where there are no straight lines - a remarkable place.

• Thanks 1