IGNORED

Barcelona recommendations

1960maaan

Another trip worth doing is the open top tourist buses.there were 3 different routes all  coded and interchangeable and take you all over the city. Buy a day ticket and you’ll have access to all the sights. We went to Guell park and the Camp Nuo by bus! The tour around the stadium is well worth the effort. 

On 24/04/2024 at 13:24, Robbored said:

One major issue that every tourist needs to be aware of is pickpockets. I had my wallet taken just as we got into tube as the doors shut.

How awful hopefully it didn't spoil holiday and you didn't have anything of great value in your wallet - guessing 30 euros, bowls club membership card, pack of condoms 4 years past their use by date, and a signed photo of Gary Johnson with the eyes gouged out ! ??

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

How awful hopefully it didn't spoil holiday and you didn't have anything of great value in your wallet - guessing 30 euros, bowls club membership card, pack of condoms 4 years past their use by date, and a signed photo of Gary Johnson with the eyes gouged out ! ??

It was a bloody nuisance having to report the theft to the police who couldn’t initially find anyone who spoke English. Eventually one showed up and I was able to cancel all my cards - naturally they had all relevant contact numbers. I got a crime number which enabled me to claim back on my insurance - ended up with a new wallet out of the experience.

I’d make the mistake of using a public ATM and drew out 300e where they’d obviously been watching.

The copper said they get thefts reported daily and I had to sit thru two albums of mug shots.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That’s exactly where we used to eat and very reasonably priced by Barca standards.

The city is full of Gaudi’s work including the cathedral  and the lampposts in Placa Reial. Park Guell and Casa mila where there are no straight lines - a remarkable place.

We went in October for my 50th birthday (probably my 5th time there in 20yrs?) and to see the current state of la Sagrada Famila was amazing. I almost don't want them to ever finish it! We made a beeline for Parc Guell as never been before, beautiful place. We weren't that far from the SF so an early morning 5k run at around 7am (still pretty much pitch black) each day before the pavements got too busy was a no brainer. Definitely one of my favourite places ever. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was a bloody nuisance having to report the theft to the police who couldn’t initially find anyone who spoke English. Eventually one showed up and I was able to cancel all my cards - naturally they had all relevant contact numbers. I got a crime number which enabled me to claim back on my insurance - ended up with a new wallet out of the experience.

I’d make the mistake of using a public ATM and drew out 300e where they’d obviously been watching.

The copper said they get thefts reported daily and I had to sit thru two albums of mug shots.

Revolut card is the way to go, keep your other cards in the room safe, load just what you need for the day onto the revolut card via the phone app .....and don't lose your phone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Revolut card is the way to go, keep your other cards in the room safe, load just what you need for the day onto the revolut card via the phone app .....and don't lose your phone!

Revolut cards weren’t available the last time that I was in Barca CR. I’ll look into it if I visit again.

Plenty of advice here so will make my post short.

Been many times in the last 40 years, especially when I lived just a drive away. Still a city with a lot going for it but personally I’d avoid Las Ramblas, nothing like it used to be, now just very tatty, tourists hot spot with people trying their best to rip you off.

As mentioned pick pocketing is still a very popular pastime, never happened to me but two friends had passports nicked a few months ago on the metro.

Follow the locals and not the tourists and you’ll have a much better experience imo.

On 24/04/2024 at 12:57, italian dave said:

Sagrada Familia. But book it in advance. Absolutely stunning. 

100%. My bestie took me to Barca for my 50th. AirBnb was just round the corner; it's utterly nuts.

The old quarter is lovely, as is the market area. The whole city is frankly lovely, and it's really easy to get around. Plus it's a big city, but the main central bit feels quite small.

I didn't get a chance to go to the Gardens, apparently they're amazing.

Oh, and we did a walking tour of the city, one of those where you pay your guide what you think it's worth. Superb.

On 25/04/2024 at 14:56, CodeRed said:

Yep Revolut, Starling, Monzo, any of the new so-called 'neo-banks' are great for travelling.

On 25/04/2024 at 12:52, CyderInACan said:

I don't think it's been mentioned but Placa Reial, just off la Rambla (nearest metro: Liceu) is a great picturesque little square with restaurants/cafes/bars aplenty, lovely tall palm trees & great for a spot of people watching whilst sipping a cold cerveza. 

Not so nice when I went there, got beaten up just outside Mollys Fair City Irish bar 🤣

• Sad 1

I can see why people are suggesting La Boqueria but honestly Mercat de Santa Caterina is better and much better value. Agree with others as well regarding beaches to the north. Some lovely places and easily accessible via Renfe, should cost about 10 euros return from Placa Catalunya. I would recommend Calella & Pineda de Mar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Yep Revolut, Starling, Monzo, any of the new so-called 'neo-banks' are great for travelling.

Slightly off topic……does Revolut allow you to have your account in sterling, Euros, both? And to set up things like direct debits in Euros through the European banking system? It’s becoming an increasing problem doing that with the traditional banks since you know what. 

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Slightly off topic……does Revolut allow you to have your account in sterling, Euros, both? And to set up things like direct debits in Euros through the European banking system? It’s becoming an increasing problem doing that with the traditional banks since you know what. 

It's been some years since I used Revolut but yes you were able to convert on the fly - though even with Starling, etc there's no need to convert as such, as you're not charged any extras for purchases (in many countries at least). So paying in pounds makes no real difference.

As for your second question, I'm fairly certain you can but I can't say I've tried it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not so nice when I went there, got beaten up just outside Mollys Fair City Irish bar 🤣

Blige! I was there only a few years ago. Just before Covid. No problems, but there were 4 of us, 2 attractive women, and it was early to mid-afternoon.

Were you there on a football-related journey?

8 hours ago, italian dave said:

Starling does. I move money to my euro account when the rates are good and when you use your Starling card in a euro using country it takes the money from your euro account.

You also get an IBAN. 

• Thanks 1