IGNORED

FBC POD: In conversation with..... Gavin Marshall, CEO Bristol Sport

headhunter

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I'd like to think they would see any fall in numbers as a sign they need to tempt more people to get a Season Card, if they think  the ones that don't renew will just go to games anyway,  they are mistaken. 

I’m not renewing my ST, just picking and choosing my games next season instead.  You’re right, if results drop off people like me won’t have any interest in watching a mid table borefest against teams like Preston

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sales confirmed as over 12k, there's not the impact so far 

That's incorrect, it's already been confirmed that when the fixture list is released it'll show all the TV slots up to FA Cup 3rd round weekend 

So basically up to the New Year's Day round of fixtures 

Yep, correct.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's what I mean, he is Group CEO- thinly spread.

Seems a bit of a choppy structure overall.

I think that’s cutting him far too much slack. It’s hardly a FTSE100 multinational. On a revenue basis it’s actually a pretty small group. He should be well informed. 

• Like 2

• Admin
33 minutes ago, spudski said:

Why don't they ask questions, without their own views added?

It gives the interviewed an outlet just to agree.

Ask a question without a view.

I guess they are only supporters and not reporters 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess they are only supporters and not reporters 

It comes across very much like, they know they are supporters, but are trying to make themselves more knowledgeable, ' in the know' than they are. 

It's too ' Pally '.

They aren't reporters, or in the know. 

Just act neutral and as if you have no knowledge. 

That way the answers can't be led..

Just trying to make out 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Why don't they ask questions, without their own views added?

It gives the interviewed an outlet just to agree.

Ask a question without a view.

I wouldn't be too hard on them, there are loads of people in the professional media who seem incapable of asking an open question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

That's incorrect, it's already been confirmed that when the fixture list is released it'll show all the TV slots up to FA Cup 3rd round weekend 

I hadn't seen anything about either.

12k sounds reasonable , I guess we will get a better idea by Monday. What was the total last year at the start of the season ?

With the fixtures I assumed they would do the same as they do currently . At least there will be warning for most of the games. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I wouldn't be too hard on them, there are loads of people in the professional media who seem incapable of asking an open question.

Thats the truth!! Unfortunately the lads seemed to give the guy a metaphorical get out of jail free card in one section, answering their own stuff. 

However it was the best opportunity we’ve had to listen to the bloke speak and I am extremely grateful for the effort that takes! I’m not sure the radio Brizz journos would have been better or even got that amount of time. So nice job!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, mozo said:

I suppose one controversial comment from GM was that our current position is only slightly below our season expectations. This will ruffle feathers following the narrative around the Pearson sacking. 

This stood out to me. We all know what was said by them all so no need to go over it again. 

But to hear them pretty much admit they lied is hilarious. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

46 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This stood out to me. We all know what was said by them all so no need to go over it again. 

IMHO, he is lying in the interview. The season expectation was to be challenging top 6. They were not lying when they claimed that Pearson was failing to meet that aim. They are lying now because they expected Manning to easily improve on Pearson. That is not to criticise Manning, he was never equipped to perform such an improvement. Their expectation from the squad and a coach struggling to find his feet was unrealistic. Manning failed to meet their target. The expectation for the next season with the benefit hindsight is the more interesting question to ask. What target have they given Manning for next season? It was top 6 when he was hired, is it still top 6, or is it now mid table? Some clarity about how much money is needed to be generated from player sales in the next 12 months would also be welcome. Has the budget now changed? Is there still a need to create a significant transfer income to offset losses? If not , why not, what has changed Has Sl decided to start backing the club again? Or do we still need £10M plus  net transfer income? 

Marshall is another cog in the incompetent and amateur set up at BCFC. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

6 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

IMHO, he is lying in the interview. The season expectation was to be challenging top 6. They were not lying when they claimed that Pearson was failing to meet that aim. They are lying now because they expected Manning to easily improve on Pearson. That is not to criticise Manning, he was never equipped to perform such an improvement. Their expectation from the squad and a coach struggling to find his feet was unrealistic. Manning failed to meet their target. The expectation for the next season with the benefit hindsight is the more interesting question to ask. What target have they given Manning for next season? It was top 6 when he was hired, is it still top 6, or is it now mid table? Some clarity about how much money is needed to be generated from player sales in the next 12 months would also be welcome. Has the budget now changed? Is there still a need to create a significant transfer income to offset losses? If not , why not, what has changed Has Sl decided to start backing the club again? Or do we still need £10M plus  net transfer income? 

Marshall is another cog in the incompetent and amateur set up at BCFC. 

Agreed with you both. 

A big thank you to @headhunter and the FBC team for finally getting this interview, it is appreciated. 

I found it all a bit like our season in general; a couple of good bits, some disappointing bits and an overall sense of bullshit and lies. 

I think Dave and Ian did a pretty decent job. I appreciate you will want to keep a cordial relationship established for future opportunities, but I did think there were a few times he could’ve been challenged further. 

It was an opportunity for him to show a bit of humility, even some transparency, but I didn’t hear anything. Whilst the attendances were acknowledged, signing off with a positive message to the fans would’ve at least been something. 

More than anything it was a good reminder that for this season and potentially next Manning isn’t really the problem. 

Well done Dave and Ian though and thank you. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

With Season Card prices going up year on year, the games being moved around making it harder for some to plan games and some would be able to just watch at home ?
I can only see a negative impact.

EDIT;

Those fixture lists will be interesting. They will have everyone at 3pm on a Saturday to start , and we will have to wait until Sky feels fit to let us know when the games will actually take place. 

Not looking forward to it in that respect.

It’ll be far worse if City ever reach the PL.  Bitter sweet for me if it ever happens.

Tricky one for @headhunter to ask more probing questions at a senior reds bash. It did come across a bit like an in-house chat but nethertheless it's worth a listen. 

Well done @headhunter

On 19 mins...a budget has not been set? I don't buy that. I appreciate there are a number of permutations but there will be an in-house sum already set but GM is never going to disclose the amount which is the right thing to do.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, phantom said:

Marshall clearly stated 8000 (appreciate  thhat was a week ago)

Where are you getting 12000 confirmed from ?

Edited by Sir Geoff
Edit text

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Marshall clearly stated 8000 (appreciate interested that was a week ago)

Where are you getting 12000 confirmed from ?

Club tweeted yesterday.

So 4k renewed between the timing of GM’s numbers given to FBC and yesterday.

• Thanks 1

I listened to about the first half hour (at which point I sensed they were running out of questions) & thought it was good.

Big difference between believing all the answers & appreciating the questions being asked.

Certainly find it barely credible we don’t have a budget set by now, the explanation that we don’t know who is staying is a red herring.

Really can’t see the point though in mentioning for the millionth time that we didn’t put a sell on clause in for Andy Cole to someone who if he was alive back then, was probably at infant school.

Different board, entirely different time, just like the regular mention of John Ward/Benny Lennartsson, it really is ancient history now.