IGNORED

Arne Slot

Harry

Looks like he’ll be the new Liverpool manager. 
I remember a time, only a short four years ago, when he was linked with the managers role here (when he was at AZ). 
I think he was at something like 20-1 at one time. 
But old Ashton plumped for Dean Holden after a 6 week rigorous and vigorous comprehensive worldwide search. 
What might have been eh??!! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

I don’t imagine he was ever seriously linked with the job here.

Probably not, because we’re consistently risk averse.

Appointing Dean Holden, FFS.

Alkmaar aren’t a big club, so if we wanted we could appoint this “type”, who could turn out to be the next De Zerbi or the next Jan Siewert, but we never do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I remember a time, only a short four years ago, when he was linked with the managers role here (when he was at AZ). 
But old Ashton plumped for Dean Holden after a 6 week rigorous and vigorous comprehensive worldwide search. 

In fairness, Ashton  (who I dislike a lot) had little or nothing to do with appointing LJ or Holden. He did have a lot to do with appointing McKenna. As annoying as that all is. 

Facts are, Ashton will have overseen , what seems certain now, a double promotion. He makes me feel like taking some Kwells, but I can see beyond that, and the guy has earned every plaudit going for this. So you have to ask, why he failed at BCFC. We all know that answer. There is a common theme. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Probably not, because we’re consistently risk averse.

Appointing Dean Holden, FFS.

Alkmaar aren’t a big club, so if we wanted we could appoint this “type”, who could turn out to be the next De Zerbi or the next Jan Siewert, but we never do.

Would love to see it. Unfortunately it’s usually the same names and types that crop up whenever there is a vacancy.

16 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Would love to see it. Unfortunately it’s usually the same names and types that crop up whenever there is a vacancy.

I suppose you can argue Manning was a break from that.

LJ was the previous manager we took from another club but due to his history with the owner it was hardly ground breaking.

I just wish for once we would look to Europe, but think a combination of Tinnion being our technical director & an obsession with the fact that Benny Lennartsson didn’t work 25 years ago, means we won’t.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I suppose you can argue Manning was a break from that.

LJ was the previous manager we took from another club but due to his history with the owner it was hardly ground breaking.

I just wish for once we would look to Europe, but think a combination of Tinnion being our technical director & an obsession with the fact that Benny Lennartsson didn’t work 25 years ago, means we won’t.

Not once but consistently; chances are we won't strike gold immediately. Benny was the once; the only real mistake there was not going back to Europe again to find a coach. It was the right idea.

Assuming those that follow SL will be from beyond Blighty (whenever that comes about) I cannot imagine they will be delving in L1 for a head coach, or appointing "from within." Not when football is played, managed and coached all over the bleedin' globe.

• Facepalm 1

On 27/04/2024 at 02:10, Harry said:

You are right, but at that time I think he already signed with Feyenoord Rotterdam. 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 01:10, Harry said:

Conversely he could be the next Benny Lennartsson. 

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, BigTone said:

Conversely he could be the next Benny Lennartsson. 

But we keep appointing English/ Brit blokes when they could be the next Deano, LJ, SO'D, McInnes, Coppell, Tinnion, Keith Millen, Wilson, John "I need help" Ward, Osman, Denis Smith, Pulis, Lumsden (DM me for the full list), so maybe we just appoint no-one when Manning goes?

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2024 at 16:27, RollsRoyce said:

In fairness, Ashton  (who I dislike a lot) had little or nothing to do with appointing LJ or Holden. He did have a lot to do with appointing McKenna. As annoying as that all is. 

Facts are, Ashton will have overseen , what seems certain now, a double promotion. He makes me feel like taking some Kwells, but I can see beyond that, and the guy has earned every plaudit going for this. So you have to ask, why he failed at BCFC. We all know that answer. There is a common theme. 

I've thought the same re Ashton a few times. Credit to him for what he/they've achieved but it doesn't make him likeable does it ? :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

But we keep appointing English/ Brit blokes when they could be the next Deano, LJ, SO'D, McInnes, Coppell, Tinnion, Keith Millen, Wilson, John "I need help" Ward, Osman, Denis Smith, Pulis, Lumsden (DM me for the full list), so maybe we just appoint no-one when Manning goes?

Good point