IGNORED

End of season awards

Couldn't see a thread on it and nothing on the OS either. 

Who/what won what?

Guessing Rob Dickie player of the year and Tommy (by default) as young player of the year? Who got players player, champagne moment etc?

Did they have a Teknical Director Son of the Year award?

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Packman said:

Yes Dickie player of the year and players player, Conway young player and also champagne moment for goal away at West Ham.

And TGH v Middlesbrough got unofficial goal of the season (as voted for by the players in one of the Club's Instagram videos).

I agree, it's a banger.

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Presented on the pitch after the match 

I found it very cringe worthy the way it was being hyped as seemingly such a "fantastic season" (Downsey's words) celebration but doing the awards after the match like that worked well I think and was a nice way to round off the last home game

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roe said:

I found it very cringe worthy the way it was being hyped as seemingly such a "fantastic season" (Downsey's words) celebration but doing the awards after the match like that worked well I think and was a nice way to round off the last home game

Would have helped if they didn’t take so long to start it though , a lot of people got bored and left. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Roe said:

It was Downsy's constant talk of a 'celebration' that prompted myself and the people I was with to leave almost straight away when it became clear the players weren't going to do their usual appreciation of the fans after the final whistle, which I stay for every match to show my appreciation for their efforts (win or lose), and instead went straight down the tunnel to prepare themselves for the big emotional walk around with the fans thanking them for giving us another mediocre season.

I'm not anti anyone at the club, had no massive issue with Pearson going (timing aside) and quite like us under Manning, but to big this season up as something special just stinks to me.

We heard the awards being announced as we were walking down the back of the Lansdown.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It was Downsy's constant talk of a 'celebration' that prompted myself and the people I was with to leave almost straight away when it became clear the players weren't going to do their usual appreciation of the fans after the final whistle, which I stay for every match to show my appreciation for their efforts (win or lose), and instead went straight down the tunnel to prepare themselves for the big emotional walk around with the fans thanking them for giving us another mediocre season.

I'm not anti anyone at the club, had no massive issue with Pearson going (timing aside) and quite like us under Manning, but to big this season up as something special just stinks to me.

We heard the awards being announced as we were walking down the back of the Lansdown.

I suppose the alternative is to chuck away all the effort of everyone at the club and say ‘well that was not worth celebrating ‘. 
We have had our moments this season even if overall we haven’t troubled the top six. It has been a season of transition and recuperation from a disastrous handling of the end of the Pearson era . The success is that we have stayed up despite huge pressure on the new coaching staff and the apparent progress now manifesting itself on the pitch. 
Let’s hope that next season we don’t have any questions raised about ‘ success ‘. 

As an aside. The other day in the city I saw a little arrow on which was written , ‘ the way to success ‘ . I followed the directions until I came to another green arrow with ‘ the road to success ‘. I was curious and continued on the way . Until I spotted another arrow pointing to the right where it was written ‘ the path to success ‘ . I duly followed. I few metres on I saw yet another sign on the door of a block of flats , it said ‘ the door to success ‘ . I opened the door and climbed the stairs. As I arrived on the third floor I saw a wooden door , ajar. I tapped on it and a man came to meet me , ‘ hi, I’m Cec’ . 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Manning will ultimately either prove himself or not, like any manager, no issues with that at all and it would be better for the club and fans if he does. However the rest of the operation is a complete shower of shite.............the comms is a disgrace and trying to sift through the lies, untruths, minimisations and exaggerations to get to the truth of what is happening at the Gate is tiresome. When 5000 ignore the announcements and pile on the pitch at the final home game you know you've cracked it..........

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I suppose the alternative is to chuck away all the effort of everyone at the club and say ‘well that was not worth celebrating ‘. 
We have had our moments this season even if overall we haven’t troubled the top six. It has been a season of transition and recuperation from a disastrous handling of the end of the Pearson era . The success is that we have stayed up despite huge pressure on the new coaching staff and the apparent progress now manifesting itself on the pitch. 
Let’s hope that next season we don’t have any questions raised about ‘ success ‘. 

All well and good, but a simple announcement letting us know the end of season awards were being done following the usual players walking round acknowledging the fans after the final whistle would have sufficed. Why take the players off the pitch straight away to come out later on and call it a celebration? I am all for a simple thankyou, but to big it up was really over the top.

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

All well and good, but a simple announcement letting us know the end of season awards were being done following the usual players walking round acknowledging the fans after the final whistle would have sufficed. Why take the players off the pitch straight away to come out later on and call it a celebration? I am all for a simple thankyou, but to big it up was really over the top.

I agree with you. They take us for mugs but this is a general ‘ dumbing down ‘ of our society. It’s only a matter of time before matches can only be drawn so as not to upset any fans. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

The awards followed by the lap of appreciation followed by the Wurzels was known about before the match, and they were hardly likely to do 2 laps of thanks (seemed the same as every last home match to me)! They came around with their partners and kids and they were signing autographs and taking photos for people - Manning too. 

55 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I find Downsy incredibly irritating more and more each game.

I don’t think the club realises how annoying continual chat over the tannoy really is. Too much, and people switch off

• Like 5

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

I don’t think the club realises how annoying continual chat over the tannoy really is. Too much, and people switch off

I don’t normally listen to him but one thing did irritate me yesterday. He takes too long announcing the subs, so by the time he mentions player 2 and 3 coming off, they are often already off the pitch. Yesterday I was hoping that Matty James would get the recognition he deserves with a rousing round of applause as he walked off given it may be his last match for us. Instead he was already off the pitch before his name was announced. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, eardun said:

The awards followed by the lap of appreciation followed by the Wurzels was known about before the match, and they were hardly likely to do 2 laps of thanks (seemed the same as every last home match to me)! They came around with their partners and kids and they were signing autographs and taking photos for people - Manning too. 

Did anyone stay to watch the Wurzels? I didn’t even stay for the awards. 

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Especially in the dolman where it just sounds like a noise rather than english.

• Like 2

Just now, Robbored said:

I’m a SC holder. Tickets for the Wurzels. It was on the OS.

As far as I knew you just came out the ground and then watched the Wurzels, that’s certainly what I did and I saw no checking of tickets going on.

I maybe wrong but I thought the Wurzels was a free event as part of the family day/end of season events 

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

As far as I knew you just came out the ground and then watched the Wurzels, that’s certainly what I did and I saw no checking of tickets going on.

I maybe wrong but I thought the Wurzels was a free event as part of the family day/end of season events 

Yes no ticket needed 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Oh……I must have misread the OS then…….:dunno:

You may need to change your strap line to ‘I only believe it when I read it on the OS (and provided I have not misread it).’ 😃 

Seriously though it’s a shame you thought that and perhaps City comms could have been clearer, ie hammer home it was free. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

You may need to change your strap line to ‘I only believe it when I read it on the OS (and provided I have not misread it).’ 😃 

Seriously though it’s a shame you thought that and perhaps City comms could have been clearer, ie hammer home it was free. 

Perhaps I wasn’t the only one but the guys I car share with thought it was ticket only - not they’d have been interested.

57 minutes ago, eardun said:

the lady who sits next to me thought you had to purchase a ticket as well, so perhaps it was their comms