IGNORED

Stoke away

Oldland2

4 minutes ago, Oldland2 said:

Just a reminder to all those going to stoke next Saturday 4th May, card only at the stadium of light and stewards will ask you to dispose of any coins and vapes

I didn’t think Stoke was that far north?!

• Haha 5

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/313013/bristol-city-team-selection 

They hope for a full strength team to  help win three on the bounce.

So, now we're safe, are we giving last day starts to Sidibe and Lowe? Or are we keeping the same team and making sure we finish strong? I'd be tempted to keep it as it is tbh.

further down that thread; 

Haven’t Bristol beaten us on the last 5 occasions they’ve visited?

Yes they have. Five successive home losses to what must be the most mundane, beige club in the entire division. Incredible run of results really, and we’ve won 4/6 at Ashton Gate during the same period.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, 22A said:

Yes they have. Five successive home losses to what must be the most mundane, beige club in the entire division. Incredible run of results really, and we’ve won 4/6 at Ashton Gate during the same period.

Says the club with the most mundane, beige football badge in the football league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nice to hear they hold us in such high regard

'We're mundane and beige,

We're mundane and beige,

We're Bristol City,

We're mundane and beige'

Coming from Stoke fans. The toilet of the UK.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

We're mundane and beige,

We're Bristol City,

We're mundane and beige'

When Viz did their first book of Crap Towns they couldn`t decide which of Stoke or Hull should get the accolade so revisited both to make their minds up. What swung it for Hull was that the first thing they saw after leaving the station was a human turd in a phone box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Might as well copy and paste my comment in the Derby thread for this lot;

Derby County Stoke City play in a soulless ground. They have done nothing for decades apart from get the record low Premier League points total sign a bloke who would chuck some balls really far from a throw in. The city/town is a hellscape. They won a league  major title before Thatcher was PM. Its over half a century ago. They are pretty much as irrelevant as us these days.

Now someone who lived in Derby said it wasn't a hellscape (I visited Derby twice was thought it was grim but maybe ended up in the wrong spots) and I am happy to be corrected on Stoke as well. However, i think Stoke is universally regarded as a total dump.

Edited by Chairman Mao

36 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

We're mundane and beige,

We're Bristol City,

We're mundane and beige'

We are mundane and beige, we are often regarded as one of England's most boring teams as we rarely get involved at either end of the table and we never play Rovers...

https://directorsbox.app/britains-most-boring-football-teams/

Having lived in Stoke for 5 years, I can give a bit of perspective here. 

As soon as you get out of the city boundary you are in superb countryside with the Peak District, The Roaches, Cheshire Plain, Cannock Chase etc..

So name one positive about living in Stoke? The roads leading out of the City!

However, I am still very much in touch with some amazing Stokies. They are genuinely nice people.

A few months ago, I was chatting to 2 of my Stokie friends and a conversation about what Noel Gallagher said at a gig when he spoke to a Stokie on stage. Noel called the place a ****hole or something like that. My Stokie friend immediately lambasted Noel by saying he has no right to say that because only those that live there can call it a ****hole! Stokies know Noel may well be right but...

Part of the problem I think with Stoke is their infrastructure is built on late 1800/ early 1900 designs and that there are 5 towns(or 6 depending who you ask) making up the City of Stoke. Each town with it's own identity.

Whilst we no longer live there, it is always a pleasure to re-visit. Yes, I can even name a great pub or two in Hanley. Yes our only child was born there as well. Will I defend the City of Stoke as a place of beauty and infrastructure? No. Will I defend though the people that live there and at the end of the day, that's what counts? Too damn right I would (with apologies for borrowing one of the great movie lines said by Jack Nicholson. Bonus point to anyone who can quote the exact comment and name the film)!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

We are mundane and beige, we are often regarded as one of England's most boring teams as we rarely get involved at either end of the table and we never play Rovers...

This quote made me cringe...

Bristol City, a club that publicly announced their ambitions to bring European football to the recently re-developed Ashton Gate, have only finished in the top half of the Championship once in the last 10 years, while simultaneously rarely coming in any danger of relegation

58 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

As soon as you get out of the city boundary you are in superb countryside with the Peak District, The Roaches, Cheshire Plain, Cannock Chase etc..

However, I am still very much in touch with some amazing Stokies. They are genuinely nice people.

A few months ago, I was chatting to 2 of my Stokie friends and a conversation about what Noel Gallagher said at a gig when he spoke to a Stokie on stage. Noel called the place a ****hole or something like that. My Stokie friend immediately lambasted Noel by saying he has no right to say that because only those that live there can call it a ****hole! Stokies know Noel may well be right but...

Part of the problem I think with Stoke is their infrastructure is built on late 1800/ early 1900 designs and that there are 5 towns(or 6 depending who you ask) making up the City of Stoke. Each town with it's own identity.

Whilst we no longer live there, it is always a pleasure to re-visit. Yes, I can even name a great pub or two in Hanley. Yes our only child was born there as well. Will I defend the City of Stoke as a place of beauty and infrastructure? No. Will I defend though the people that live there and at the end of the day, that's what counts? Too damn right I would (with apologies for borrowing one of the great movie lines said by Jack Nicholson. Bonus point to anyone who can quote the exact comment and name the film)!

Here’s Jonnie when they signed Jon Walters ?

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

This quote made me cringe...

Bristol City, a club that publicly announced their ambitions to bring European football to the recently re-developed Ashton Gate, have only finished in the top half of the Championship once in the last 10 years, while simultaneously rarely coming in any danger of relegation

I may be different to many on here, but having watched City since the 1970s - with most of it taking place in the 3rd tier - mid-table ‘stable’ championship isn’t too bad. 
Of course I want promotion, but mid table Championship comfort is better for me than the ‘excitement’ (ahem) of a relegation battle or competing in the JPT (or whatever it’s called now). 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I may be different to many on here, but having watched City since the 1970s - with most of it taking place in the 3rd tier - mid-table ‘stable’ championship isn’t too bad. 
Of course I want promotion, but mid table Championship comfort is better for me than the ‘excitement’ (ahem) of a relegation battle or competing in the JPT (or whatever it’s called now). 

It was more the quote about European football that made me cringe. 

5 hours ago, 22A said:

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/313013/bristol-city-team-selection 

They hope for a full strength team to  help win three on the bounce.

So, now we're safe, are we giving last day starts to Sidibe and Lowe? Or are we keeping the same team and making sure we finish strong? I'd be tempted to keep it as it is tbh.

further down that thread; 

Haven’t Bristol beaten us on the last 5 occasions they’ve visited?

Watched ‘em yesterday at St Mary’s they were well worth their win. 

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Half that description of us is about Rovers ffs. Hardly our fault they're absolute garbage, is it?

Ironically, you could say exactly the same about Stoke and Port Vale too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

When Viz did their first book of Crap Towns they couldn`t decide which of Stoke or Hull should get the accolade so revisited both to make their minds up. What swung it for Hull was that the first thing they saw after leaving the station was a human turd in a phone box.

We’re they male or female in the phone box 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Think I. Correct in saying no city centre in Stoke bit like Portsmouth