IGNORED

Don't get your hopes up

JAWS

33 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Yes Graham you are correct it is our club and means a hell of a lot to us all. However it’s now got to the point where I think that buying season cards, or putting any money into the coffers is helping prop up the Lansdown regime. We need rid of these people and it’s gone beyond the ‘careful what you wish for’ stage. Fair play to all you fans that have renewed, but I think it would have made a massive statement if people had withdrawn their support for one season to send a message to SL. 

Everyone is off course entitled to their own opinion, but this approach to me is contrary to what it means to support a team.

I am with @GrahamC its our club. It would really vex me if we were owned by a despotic regime & whilst I'd hate that aspect of it, I'd still support City, because the club is bigger than the owner, manager etc.

When you break it down, everything about a football club is transient, the only thing which isn't is the fan base.  I 1st went with my dad, now I go with my son. When I'm gone I hope he goes with his children.

Earlier in the thread, I think @pillred said no other medium gets the same sort of loyal support & that's absolutely right.  I love music & there are acts I've really liked & no longer do (hi Morrissey), however City are different, the connection is deeper. I didn't like Pulis, but I supported City when he was the boss. I don't see anything changing that (but Hollowhead would be a test.....).

Edited by TDarwall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

19 hours ago, Kingston_Red said:

Why would we back NP he had shown nothing to suggest he was the man to take us forward. 

I’m responding to this KR on the assumption that you’re not an employee of Bristol Sport with an axe to grind. Just a few points below of what NP has done for our club:

- Drastically reduced the wage bill (as per SL’s instructions) following an agreed 3 year plan

- Introduced a playing identity and recruited accordingly. No more scattergun buys in the transfer market and an eye for a bargain. 

- Supporting and guiding Lauren Smith with the ladies team. 

- Bringing through the academy players and closing the gap between the youth and 1st team. Both groups of players training together. 

- Further developing Scott and Semenyo into multi-million pound players. Also, bringing through Conway into a top Championship striker with a large price tag. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Everyone is off course entitled to their own opinion, but this approach to me is contrary to what it means to support a team.

I am with @GrahamC its our club. It would really vex me if we were owned by a despotic regime & whilst I'd hate that aspect of it, I'd still support City, because the club is bigger than the owner, manager etc.

When you break it down, everything about a football club is transient, the only thing which isn't is the fan base.  I 1st went with my dad, now I go with my son. When I'm gone I hope he goes with his children.

Earlier in the thread, I think @pillred said no other medium gets the same sort of loyal support & that's absolutely right.  I love music & there are acts I've really liked & no longer do (hi Morrissey), however City are different, the connection is deeper. I didn't like Pulis, but I supported City when he was the boss. I don't see anything changing that (but Hollowhead would be a test.....).

So how much more of the Lansdown regime are you willing to put up with TD? I have supported the club since my old man first took me to the gate in the late 70’s, but have never felt so disillusioned as I am now. It’s become blatantly obvious that SL has no intention of financing a promotion push, and I believe we are effectively now in a managed decline. If you wish to support that, fine, it’s up to you, but I would rather we have a bit of short term pain for long term gain. I have long come to the conclusion that SL doesn’t have our best interests at heart and will carry on as owner to the detriment of the club. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

So how much more of the Lansdown regime are you willing to put up with TD? 

I can't imagine a time I will stop supporting the club. This isn't a perfect analogy, but to me it's like saying "why are you so loyal to your family, other families have achieved so much more on fewer resources". 

I think a change of ownership would be for the best, but I won't let my discontent with the owners stop me enjoying something I've done for the last 40+ years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Disappointing tho it was it was a one off result and the first time in ages that City have conceded 4. Essentially in was a dead rubber with neither club having anything to play for.

Fwiw - as with every season I’m optimistic that we’ll have a decent campaign. LM will have a full preseason with the contracted players and any additions signed this summer to implement his methods and there’ll be no ‘time on the grass’ excuses come august.

My god you chat some shite. It wasn’t a dead rubber at all. Manning got completely out coached. Stoke knew exactly where are weaknesses are & exploited them . Playing two no10’s really doesn’t work . We got played through constantly all game & he did nothing to stop it. I genuinely expect a relegation battle next season 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

My god you chat some shite. It wasn’t a dead rubber at all. Manning got completely out coached. Stoke knew exactly where are weaknesses are & exploited them . Playing two no10’s really doesn’t work . We got played through constantly all game & he did nothing to stop it. I genuinely expect a relegation battle next season 

:rofl2br:
What a load of nonsense.

12 minutes ago, gornagain said:

Referring to population, we come in 10th in England (11th including Glasgow) according to https://www.citypopulation.de/en/uk/cities/ua/. This includes areas that are geographically contiguous but don't count as City of Bristol.

Edit. Southampton includes Portsmouth on this basis.

POP.jpg

I worked in Southampton for a couple of months’ there’s no way that’s correct’’ Bristol is a couple of times bigger at least.

12 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I worked in Southampton for a couple of months’ there’s no way that’s correct’’ Bristol is a couple of times bigger at least.

Are you able to tell where Southampton finishes and Portsmouth starts? I have never been able to work it out.

As far as Bristol is concerned, those figures look low, but usually the ones quoted are for the Greater Bristol Area, including places like Kingswood which aren't officially Bristol.

1 hour ago, Cidre Monita said:

So how much more of the Lansdown regime are you willing to put up with TD? I have supported the club since my old man first took me to the gate in the late 70’s, but have never felt so disillusioned as I am now. It’s become blatantly obvious that SL has no intention of financing a promotion push, and I believe we are effectively now in a managed decline. If you wish to support that, fine, it’s up to you, but I would rather we have a bit of short term pain for long term gain. I have long come to the conclusion that SL doesn’t have our best interests at heart and will carry on as owner to the detriment of the club. 

So you’re more disillusioned than 1982? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

I can't imagine a time I will stop supporting the club. This isn't a perfect analogy, but to me it's like saying "why are you so loyal to your family, other families have achieved so much more on fewer resources". 

I think a change of ownership would be for the best, but I won't let my discontent with the owners stop me enjoying something I've done for the last 40+ years.

Correct. A very far from perfect analogy. Myself and family members will not go to the Gate again whilst SL remains as owner. He has sucked the life out of it for us. Anyway hope you enjoy the new season.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Are you able to tell where Southampton finishes and Portsmouth starts? I have never been able to work it out.

As far as Bristol is concerned, those figures look low, but usually the ones quoted are for the Greater Bristol Area, including places like Kingswood which aren't officially Bristol.

Got to be honest no’ but I’d put a big bet on Bristol being a lot bigger than Southampton 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim Monaghan said:

So you’re more disillusioned than 1982? 

Yes. Very different circumstances. We almost lost our beloved club due to over stretching ourselves financially. We now have a local billionaire who has saddled us with debt with no intention of financing a promotion push. You happy with the current situation, Tim? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

SL said he spent £50m in that ultimately unsuccessful promotion run under GJ and confessed that he felt "a bit silly" for doing that.

According to transfer market the net expenditure on players was 4 million euros (£3.4 million) there was the loan fee for tamas vasko. Appreciate wages on top and loan fee but this seems a long way from £50 million.

If I remember correctly - Adebola was the only player bought in January, not a great investment for probably the least skilled player to emerge from the Crewe academy

Lee Trundle 30 €1.50m
Centre-Forward    
Nick Carle 26 €900k
Attacking Midfield    
Ivan Sproule 26 €520k
Right Winger    
Marvin Elliott 22 €500k
Central Midfield    
Dele Adebola 32 €325k
Centre-Forward    
Michael McIndoe 27 €275k
Left Winger    
Darren Byfield 30 €175k
Centre-Forward    
Izzy Iriekpen 25 free transfer
Centre-Back    
Stephen Henderson 19 free transfer
Goalkeeper    
Tamás Vaskó 23 loan transfer
Centre-Back    
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

SL said he spent £50m in that ultimately unsuccessful promotion run under GJ and confessed that he felt "a bit silly" for doing that.

£50m -That’s utter nonsense, the major spending of GJ’s team was in his latter years.

GJ spent minimally in the playoff season, in January when we were in the top two we spend the grand total of £800k, £550k on Carle (sold for a million that summer) & £250k on Adebola.

**** knows where that £50m figure comes from, the keeper Basso (free), our entire back four cost £5k! Orr, McAllister frees, Carey free, McCombe £5k.

Midfield Elliott £100k (!), Lee Johnson £40k, Sproule & McIndoe didn’t even cost £1m between them, Trundle was a million but Byfield was £100k.

£5m sounds more likely to me.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Cidre Monita said:

Yes. Very different circumstances. We almost lost our beloved club due to over stretching ourselves financially. We now have a local billionaire who has saddled us with debt with no intention of financing a promotion push. You happy with the current situation, Tim? 

Frustrated is probably the right word, but certainly not unhappy. That could change following the summer window as I truly believe we’re in the best position we’ve been in for a while. The club think that too. We need to build on some key areas in the squad, and I think we’ve got a real chance. 

For what I’m hearing we will shock a few this window. 

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Also, we’re the 7th biggest, not 5th.

London, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield & Manchester are all bigger.

People are entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.

Depends on who you read and what the parameters are. One website (Fatrank) has Bristol fourth per population. Leeds stats are often skewed by Bradford. 

One site has Bristol eighth after Teeside, which really isn’t a town. 

However if you go by Area Carlisle is the biggest City in England. After London I guess. But hey I won’t get n the way of an argument! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Frustrated is probably the right word, but certainly not unhappy. That could change following the summer window as I truly believe we’re in the best position we’ve been in for a while. The club think that too. We need to build on some key areas in the squad, and I think we’ve got a real chance. 

Fair play mate, I admire your optimism. I look forward to us causing major ripples in the summer window. Watch out Man U & Co we are fishing in the same waters as you now!! You thought there was no competition for those new South American wonder kids?! Think again!! 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

:rofl2br:
What a load of nonsense.

As I said you talk shite & know nothing about the game despite your advancing years. I was there yesterday . We were completely out fought, thought and out coached . I’ll be honest . You’re opinion on tactics means bigger all & im far from an expert . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Playing with 2 10s has been a success since Twine has come in, hence the 7 game winning run. On the other hand playing Sykes at LWB will never be a success. Bizarre. Doubt we will be in a relegation battle next season. 

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Really? On who? 

19 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

As I said you talk shite & know nothing about the game despite your advancing years. I was there yesterday . We were completely out fought, thought and out coached . I’ll be honest .

It doesn’t matter Stevie - was a meaningless end of season game with neither team having anything to play for. I certainly wouldn’t have bothered to travel up to see such a match.

The result suggests very loudly that our guys were already ‘on the beach’. 

The next campaign will be bolstered by whichever players Manning brings in and he’ll have the entire preseason to assimilate them into his methods and I’m optimistic that City will start the season in full flow.

Tbh - I’m surprised that you think we’ll be in a relegation battle. You’re probably the alone in that……………:cool2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

On 29/04/2024 at 22:41, Tim Monaghan said:

Another one with inside knowledge. Come on, spill the beans. Who told you this? Must be one of the first time players. Who is it? Don't be shy. 

So...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Another one with insider knowledge. Come on, spill the beans. 

@IAmNick beat me to it 🤣

Edited by petehinton
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The next campaign will be bolstered by whichever players Manning brings in and he’ll have the entire preseason to assimilate them into his methods and I’m optimistic that City will start the season in full flow.

in tippy tappy triangles across the back until its forced back to max who then hoofs it to the opposition??

thats all i see coming next season when Liams got his own players.

will be very pleased if im wrong but a leopard dont change his spots over a close season

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Your mates mate or the bloke down the pub? …………:rofl2br:

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

in tippy tappy triangles across the back until its forced back to max who then hoofs it to the opposition??

thats all i see coming next season when Liams got his own players.

will be very pleased if im wrong but a leopard dont change his spots over a close season

I’m an eternal optimist RS and I do think you’re wrong.

I reckon we saw enough in the undefeated run before the last game to give some hope that Manning has implemented some of his methods that the players have responded well to and with some new additions this summer he’ll have a full preseason to integrate any newcomers to his methods.

• Like 1