IGNORED

Don't get your hopes up

JAWS

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I’m an eternal optimist RS and I do think you’re wrong.

I reckon we saw enough in the undefeated run before the last game to give some hope that Manning has implemented some of his methods that the players have responded well to and with some new additions this summer he’ll have a full preseason to integrate any newcomers to his methods.

Completely agree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It doesn’t matter Stevie - was a meaningless end of season game with neither team having anything to play for. I certainly wouldn’t have bothered to travel up to see such a match.

The result suggests very loudly that our guys were already ‘on the beach’. 

The next campaign will be bolstered by whichever players Manning brings in and he’ll have the entire preseason to assimilate them into his methods and I’m optimistic that City will start the season in full flow.

Tbh - I’m surprised that you think we’ll be in a relegation battle. You’re probably the alone in that……………:cool2:

I don't think he is alone in that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

My god you chat some shite. It wasn’t a dead rubber at all. Manning got completely out coached. Stoke knew exactly where are weaknesses are & exploited them . Playing two no10’s really doesn’t work . We got played through constantly all game & he did nothing to stop it. I genuinely expect a relegation battle next season 

Well said @steviestevieneville

And to there's who are telling us that this club has been a significant part of their lives. I'm on of them ever since Dad took me on Good Friday 1950. I was thrilled with promotion in 1955, very sad with relegation in 1960.

But where was I on the first Saturday in August that year? On the overnight supporters coach to Bradford City in Division Three. Atyeo injured, no subs and a defeat to start the season.  And it's been like that ever since. First to Fourth Division.

I cannot see anything for next season except a struggle to avoid relegation. The Lansdown's, Tinnion and Manning don't have a clue how to run a club at this level.

But I'll still be there. When I can't go to Ashton Gate they can screw the lid down!

But will I enjoy it next season? I think not.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 3

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

My god you chat some shite. It wasn’t a dead rubber at all. Manning got completely out coached. Stoke knew exactly where are weaknesses are & exploited them . Playing two no10’s really doesn’t work . We got played through constantly all game & he did nothing to stop it. I genuinely expect a relegation battle next season 

It’s worked a lot recently. There won’t be a relegation battle.  Far from it.  12th is my prediction at this point 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

It’s worked a lot recently. There won’t be a relegation battle.  Far from it.  12th is my prediction at this point 

Mid table was what I predicted at the start of last season under Nige and that’s how it eventually turned out. Next campaign with summer additions I reckon that Manning will have plenty of time ‘on the grass’ preseason to get the squad fully accustomed to his philosophy and methods. 

I can see City being there or thereabouts the top 6 come March/April next season.

12 hours ago, JAWS said:

Really? On who? 

The power of a two second internet search.

Stephen Lansdown: Bristol City owner 'embarrassed' by spending

31 July 2013

Bristol City owner Stephen Lansdown says he is no longer willing to pay excessive player wages after spending an 'embarrassing' £50m on the club.

City were relegated from the Championship last season and posted a record loss of £14.4m in 2012.

The backing of billionaire Lansdown, 60, means they are not in financial difficulty, but he is determined to make the club more sustainable.

"I'm embarrassed by how much I've spent," Lansdown told BBC Points West.

"I daren't add it up, and although I have no regrets in doing it, it's probably over £50m.

"We started paying out bigger wages because we felt we needed that extra class, and it hasn't worked for us.

"I look back and it was a mistake."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23501929

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

31 July 2013

Bristol City owner Stephen Lansdown says he is no longer willing to pay excessive player wages after spending an 'embarrassing' £50m on the club.

City were relegated from the Championship last season and posted a record loss of £14.4m in 2012.

The backing of billionaire Lansdown, 60, means they are not in financial difficulty, but he is determined to make the club more sustainable.

"I daren't add it up, and although I have no regrets in doing it, it's probably over £50m.

"We started paying out bigger wages because we felt we needed that extra class, and it hasn't worked for us.

Really is amazing reading that article that he then did the exact same thing only about 5 years later.

Then they started to come out with almost identical quotes a couple of years ago... So maybe the next wage splurge will be in a year or two after Manning gets an 8th place finish next season, and the cycle begins again?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Really is amazing reading that article that he then did the exact same thing only about 5 years later.

Then they started to come out with almost identical quotes a couple of years ago... So maybe the next wage splurge will be in a year or two after Manning gets an 8th place finish next season, and the cycle begins again?

Yes.

It has been a masterclass in getting the timing wrong.

When a few extra quid would make all the difference the purse strings stay closed.

At other times it's "Yes Mark, buy up all these high waged players".

I accept FFP is there but that just serves to limit the duration of each feast or famine period.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Jobi said:

Playing with 2 10s has been a success since Twine has come in, hence the 7 game winning run. On the other hand playing Sykes at LWB will never be a success. Bizarre. Doubt we will be in a relegation battle next season. 

7 game winning run !!!!!!

Why did we not finish in the play offs.

How has playing two number 10's been a success ? We just played 270 minutes against 2 relegated teams and one battling relegation all season and failed to score a single goal from open play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maybe.

It's a question of timing it right.

Gary Johnson was backed to the hilt and if we had won that promotion play off against Hull then things would have been very different.

Since then the money tap has been turned on and off with rather baffling timing.

I wouldn't disagree with your C+ but that's still a pass grade.

Gary Johnson backed to the hilt, he certainly wasnt in that playoff season. Everyone knew we needed a striker to get goals and what did we get Adebola. Every time we have needed that little push Lansdown has put the handbrake on

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

11 hours ago, Leabrook said:

“Don’t get your hopes up” is such a crap message.  This is football. If we can’t have hope going into a new session then why are we bothering?!  

Totally agree. We all hope next season will be THE season. 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

31 July 2013

I think what confused many of us was your comment about an “unsuccessful promotion push” as being in 07/08, rather than the whole period.

SL is absolutely brilliant at investing too much at the wrong time (when GJ was randomly signing striker after striker towards his end) & of course the LJ/Ashton era then not investing enough (GJ’s playoff final season, Nige earlier on in this one).

He’s not going to learn now though & that “embarrassment” has been replaced by arrogance that he always knows best.

Wish he’d sell up.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 7
  • Flames 4

46 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

Gary Johnson backed to the hilt, he certainly wasnt in that playoff season. Everyone knew we needed a striker to get goals and what did we get Adebola. Every time we have needed that little push Lansdown has put the handbrake on

Didn’t we have Phil ‘turbo’ Jevons? 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 04/05/2024 at 20:11, JAWS said:

We're the 5th biggest city in England. FIFTH! 22 years in & still managing our expectations. F*@k off you condescending disingenuous c**ts. Lower your price (you will still have enough to live on if you lived another 1000 years) & simplify the no doubt complicated terms.

👋

7th

Unless we have changes at the top and a new coach, we will do very well to avoid being in a relegation battle next season. 
The negative atmosphere permeating the club and fanbase will prove to be a self fulfilling prophesy. 
As far as quality reinforcements are concerned we won’t attract them with the wages we pay and tbh why would real quality want to come to us anyway? 
Apart from Cardiff, Swansea, Preston, Stoke and possibly QPR the other Championship sides appear to be more attractive. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

7th

28 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Or even eighth per wiki.

But it's all very much down to definition of the bounds.

Sheffield is bigger than us in this list but only if you add to it Rotherham.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primary_urban_areas_in_England_by_population

I've been corrected in earlier threads. In my defence it was a Google so obviously my source was wrong! 😀

But 5th or 7th or even 8th its pretty shocking not to have had a team in the prem. The other advantage we have on the cities bigger than us is a bigger catchment before you hit another club competing for support. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAWS said:

I've been corrected in earlier threads. In my defence it was a Google so obviously my source was wrong! 😀

I wasn't saying you were wrong, it's a question of definition.

If you look at the wiki link they are throwing into the big cities towns which most people would think were separate and, more germanely, have their own football clubs.

That's why I flagged that the total for Sheffield included Rotherham which has its own league team so for the purpose of potential support should really be excluded.

I understood that Bristol became the sixth biggest city in England, taking over that place from Liverpool when it fell into decline in the 1980s.

Or more succinctly: whilst I may have posted that wiki link it was to highlight a different basis fir calculation.

I don't actually agree with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

31 July 2013

Who was recruitment consultant during that time ? Mark ashton. Lansdown was obviously so embarrassed about it , he employed him again three years later . He never learns does he . Look who’s running it now 🤪

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I wasn't saying you were wrong, it's a question of definition.

If you look at the wiki link they are throwing into the big cities towns which most people would think were separate and, more germanely, have their own football clubs.

That's why I flagged that the total for Sheffield included Rotherham which has its own league team so for the purpose of potential support should really be excluded.

I understood that Bristol became the sixth biggest city in England, taking over that place from Liverpool when it fell into decline in the 1980s.

Or more succinctly: whilst I may have posted that wiki link it was to highlight a different basis fir calculation.

I don't actually agree with it.

It's fine Eddie. I'm not bothered. My point was to emphasise the size of the city relative to the prolonged lack of success. As you say size is measured in different ways but we definitelty in the top 10 whichever way you look at it & haven't been in the top division for over 40 years which is pretty poor.

It's such a great city & obvioulsy a very attractive place to live, demonstrated by the house prices! Our nearest competition for top division catchment support is Birmingham, London & Bournemouth. All some considerable distance.

It's quite dishearteneing therefore that we are stifled by the lack of ambiition. He's obviously spent a lot of money but not very well (infrastructure aside) & he MUST want the majority, if not all, of it back and probably on some ridiculous terms (possibly involving some retained control) as I cannot understand the lack of outside interest for a club that, from anyone else on the outside looking in, is an extremely attractive proposition!

It feels like we are handcuffed! The same rhetoric is rolled out, this time by sonny jim & we are expected to be optimistic, hence the title of the topic.

I don't have much hope but, as others have said, I was here a long time before SL and hope to see the back of him. That's my hope!

In the meantime, it's in my blood, like a drug or relegion so I shall continue....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

Mid table was what I predicted at the start of last season under Nige and that’s how it eventually turned out. Next campaign with summer additions I reckon that Manning will have plenty of time ‘on the grass’ preseason to get the squad fully accustomed to his philosophy and methods. 

I can see City being there or thereabouts the top 6 come March/April next season.

I think that you will be disappointed.

I am already disappointed, so the impact for me will be less. 

Hope you're right and I am wrong though.

10 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Round and round we ****ing go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think what confused many of us was your comment about an “unsuccessful promotion push” as being in 07/08, rather than the whole period.

SL is absolutely brilliant at investing too much at the wrong time (when GJ was randomly signing striker after striker towards his end) & of course the LJ/Ashton era then not investing enough (GJ’s playoff final season, Nige earlier on in this one).

He’s not going to learn now though & that “embarrassment” has been replaced by arrogance that he always knows best.

Wish he’d sell up.

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️