IGNORED

40th anniversary of my favourite away day

On 07/05/2024 at 10:44, ralphindevon said:

Today marks the 40th anniversary of our victory at Chester City, a win that clinched us 4th spot in the 4th division and promotion.

It was a bank holiday Monday and just a great day from start to finish. My friends and I only decided to go the night before, we lived in Minehead so it was quite a trip. Fortunately when we arrived at Ashton Gate Beryl Fudge managed to squeeze us on a small coach which she’d manage to secure at the last minute.

A sunny day, great music on the radio, a 1-2 victory thanks to a Trevor Morgan double, on the pitch celebrations, bumping into Swansea fans at a service station on the way home…..

Most Importantly, after a catastrophic few years of decline and almost not existing at all, we were back! 

My favourite too. I remember travelling up seeing all the City boys in the backs of transits with scarfs hanging out and the Reflex by Duran Duran on the radio every 5 minutes. Absolutely fantastic day and felt like we had got our club back. Just a shame I was too young to get p***ed when we got home! 

1 hour ago, Cidre Monita said:

My favourite too. I remember travelling up seeing all the City boys in the backs of transits with scarfs hanging out and the Reflex by Duran Duran on the radio every 5 minutes. Absolutely fantastic day and felt like we had got our club back. Just a shame I was too young to get p***ed when we got home! 

I have a memory of radio 1 playing on our coach and as it was a bank holiday they were doing a best of morning but I can’t remember best of what. Something like all the number ones of the 80s so far.

Anyway, it was a good trip up and back and considering we had an extra 1 1/2 hours up to Bristol and back afterwards, it certainly went quickly. 

• Like 1

My biggest memory of that Chester game, was that they had one of those old style chain link fences in front of the stand that most of us were in. The last ten minutes of the game City fans secretly undid all the links in the fence, and held it up by hand. As the final whistle went, the whole length of the fence fell to the ground for a massive pitch invasion!.

Half the City fans ran at the Chester end first of all, and they scattered out of the ground rather quickly!.

Terry Cooper eh, what a hero, what he did was unbelievable, and Imo should be recognised far more than it ever has been by the club.

That was the day when we turned the corner as a club, after 4-5 horrendous years of relegations and at one stage being 92nd in the football league, City we’re back 🙏

• Like 3

Went up on a mini bus, armed with loads of champers, we'd booked into a pub on the way back near Worcester, but the fuzz had sent word ahead that we were not to be allowed in, can't think why ! 

The only game I can think of where we totally out numbered the home fans !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

My favourite away day, and still the only time (so far) I've been moved to tears at a football match. 

img.jpeg.20948a67a3dd63a5625b51031264a703.jpeg

Interestingly the Lee Dixon who’s free kick supplied their equaliser is the Arsenal ‘legend’ , as Chester finished bottom of the league that year ,  things could only get better 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

Interestingly the Lee Dixon who’s free kick supplied their equaliser is the Arsenal ‘legend’ , as Chester finished bottom of the league that year ,  things could only get better 😂

Although they did have a bit of a revival after that season things did get much worse, so bad they no longer exist.

Wound up in 2010, they eventually reemerged as Chester FC and are now in the 6th tier.

Oddly and some may say boringly, that was our last game at that level and we have now played 40 years in the middle two divisions.

I have many memories of 82/3/4 - some sweet and some sour - but getting back to the third was a huge ‘lift' for everyone involved in the club, from Directors through to the long suffering and exceedingly loyal fan base.  It was the perfect tonic after some very very hectic and worrying times and made many think that after the Club had almost disappeared, anything was now possible.

As for TC, well he is easily summed up in the old saying “cometh the hour - cometh the man”.  Alan Dicks is rightly recognised for his outstanding achievements in building a team to take us to the First (Premiership),  but TC was the epitome of a football manager for the league we were in at that time.  I remember his job interview very well - we were broke, he was ex England and could play - so two for one was a no brainer.  And then it really got better when he started to manage - he brought so many good players into the club (Tom Ritchie for one) for unbelievable value and started to build the foundations for a return to the third.  TC was a hell of a talker and I do believe he could have sold snow to an Eskimo!!! 

1984 was very much down to (the late) Terry Cooper and I agree that his contribution to Bristol City Football Club is not generally recognised enough.

• Like 8

On 09/05/2024 at 10:10, slartibartfast said:

Went up on a mini bus, armed with loads of champers, we'd booked into a pub on the way back near Worcester, but the fuzz had sent word ahead that we were not to be allowed in, can't think why ! 

The only game I can think of where we totally out numbered the home fans !

The only one that I can recall coming close was Shrewsbury away (the Dean Horrix gane)

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The only one that I can recall coming close was Shrewsbury away (the Dean Horrix gane)

Did we take that many ? 
My memory of that game is sketchy , we were on the side and didn't Smithy score ? 

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Did we take that many ? 
My memory of that game is sketchy , we were on the side and didn't Smithy score ? 

We did. In fact I remember a Tannoy announcement saying they were going to let us out first and keep the Shrews fans behind!