IGNORED

40th anniversary of my favourite away day

Brilliant day.

Over riding memory is some City lads complaining the Pub was too busy, then taking a table and chairs out into the middle of the road/carriageway and sat there drinking. 

That and thinking Terry Cooper was in danger of falling out of the stand when lifted on someones shoulder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

City had to  send some of their Stewards to Chester that day to help Chester cope with the large crowd.

Two years earlier City were home to Chester, the only team beneath us, for the last game of that season. Both sides knew they were already relegated, but 3,200 attended. To me those are true fans, especially the travelling Chester fans.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Brilliant day.

Over riding memory is some City lads complaining the Pub was too busy, then taking a table and chairs out into the middle of the road/carriageway and sat there drinking. 

That and thinking Terry Cooper was in danger of falling out of the stand when lifted on someones shoulder.

OMG, that was scary seeing TC precariously balanced on someone’s shoulders up in the stand.

22 minutes ago, 22A said:

City had to  send some of their Stewards to Chester that day to help Chester cope with the large crowd.

Two years earlier City were home to Chester, the only team beneath us, for the last game of that season. Both sides knew they were already relegated, but 3,200 attended. To me those are true fans, especially the travelling Chester fans.

I was surprised to find out that was only our 3rd visit to Chester for a league game. I do remember they finished bottom of the 4th division that day.

When you think how many we’ve taken to Wembley and the Millennium stadium since that day, it means a hell of a lot to say I was there that day and many other even less glamorous days.

• Like 3

A really memorable day that I've written about many times on here.

Favourite away day ever? 

Well, having been to Leeds in the Cup, Arsenal and Coventry, I'm not sure about that, but it's certainly up there with the best considering what we'd been through and with our lowly circumstances at the time as satisfying and memorable as any of them.

• Like 5

I wasn’t at the game (I was only 9 at the time) but I vaguely remember seeing the goals on the local news. It’s a shame the footage isn’t on YouTube (not that I’ve been able to find, anyway).

I vividly remember the pitch invasion after we beat Swindon at home - my dad said he just remembered me disappearing into the crowd and being relieved when he found me because he wouldn’t get a telling off from my mum. 

• Like 1

One of the very best days - all the better for it having come off the back of some really dire years. I recall celebrations continuing back at the Gate with the players in the supporters club bar.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Today marks the 40th anniversary of our victory at Chester City, a win that clinched us 4th spot in the 4th division and promotion.

It was a bank holiday Monday and just a great day from start to finish. My friends and I only decided to go the night before, we lived in Minehead so it was quite a trip. Fortunately when we arrived at Ashton Gate Beryl Fudge managed to squeeze us on a small coach which she’d manage to secure at the last minute.

A sunny day, great music on the radio, a 1-2 victory thanks to a Trevor Morgan double, on the pitch celebrations, bumping into Swansea fans at a service station on the way home…..

Most Importantly, after a catastrophic few years of decline and almost not existing at all, we were back! 

I believe we were "back" the previous December, with the win at Eastville. York I enjoyed that season, only the 1,000 at that one but a great day out.

• Like 2

Brilliant day out. City were back! There are some great pics on here or FB of us all invading the pitch, someone might post them if they still have them? Great memories of the 80s following this club. Probably best days for me after the 1st Div obviously.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I believe we were "back" the previous December, with the win at Eastville. York I enjoyed that season, only the 1,000 at that one but a great day out.

Think York away was on a choo, choo special if memory is still intact?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

A really memorable day that I've written about many times on here.

Favourite away day ever? 

Well, having been to Leeds in the Cup, Arsenal and Coventry, I'm not sure about that, but it's certainly up there with the best considering what we'd been through and with our lowly circumstances at the time as satisfying and memorable as any of them.

As a schoolboy living 60 miles from Ashton Gate I had no chance of getting to the three legendary away games you mention. The Arsenal one in particular I would chose as a time in history I would return to if possible.

21 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

That game at Eastville is certainly up there with the very best for me and you’re right it did feel like we were back but we were still in the bottom division and promotion wasn’t guaranteed until the final whistle at Chester, so that felt like the real “we’re back” moment for me.

Of course, 40 years later and we’re still not truly back to where we were.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Think York away was on a choo, choo special if memory is still intact?

There was  a special for that game. I was on it.

Seem to remember 700 on it on the way up 800 on the way back. Think someone organized 2 coaches whose drivers pissed off before the game ended. Beryl was not happy!!

2 hours ago, Offside said:

I wasn’t at the game (I was only 9 at the time) but I vaguely remember seeing the goals on the local news. It’s a shame the footage isn’t on YouTube (not that I’ve been able to find, anyway).

I don't think it is available , and I've looked. I even tried contacting TV companies but no luck .

I have seen it though , long time back.

• Thanks 1

I lived in London then as a member of the London Branch. Me and my late mate Brian Monument travelled by train on the Saturday and booked into a hotel near the station for the weekend. On the Sunday we went to the funfair and came away armed with cuddly toys. We went for an early evening meal at a Berni Inn which was memorable because Brian ordered a prawn cocktail and the young waiter replied 'sorry sir but the bar isn't open yet'. Obviously the memorable game on the Monday and drunken celebrations deep into the night at our hotel with race goers up for the Chester May meeting to start with Chester Vase day on Tuesday. Because of the races, and being a little worse for wear, we made phone calls to wag off work and extended our stay by a day. Chester Vase day was a great success as we both backed the winner and with other successes came away from the Roodee with enough cash to pay for the weekend. Definitely on of the best away days. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

There was a CIty complicaton video and it showed thirty seconds of the game Morgan second goal and a pitch invasion, I'm sure someone posted it here last year

Yeah I thought there was but can’t find it. The only one I can find has up to the Swindon game then interviews TC the day after Chester.

I also can’t find my programme, I’ve a vague memory of taking it out of my main collection in the garage and putting it somewhere safer as it meant so much. Now all the others are fine in the garage but I can’t find the Chester one.