IGNORED

Retained list

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I absolutely loved Marv. But he was incredible for a season (if that?). What a season it was mind, but for consistency and longevity it has to be Matty for me. 

For those of us with longer memories Gary Shelton was better than both of them so  was the now much lambasted(unjustified imo) Brian Tinnion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

In a season's time we will be bemoaning the lack of experience.

TGH doesn't seem to be in favour. Hope they have a more creative midfielder and defensive midfielder they're looking at.

All it takes is Williams to not sign or get another injury and the aggressiveness will be gone. 

Bird isn't super creative but keeps the ball moving and we all know we will get energy from Knight but I don't see much creative play coming from that part of the pitch.

My guess is James will go to Coventry as they've just let Kelly leave and he had a good season there before. Wish him the best of luck, underrated player for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I never understood this Hartley thing. What was so good about him? 

I'm with you on this, one of the most over rated players we had. A fading star by the time he joined us, only played around 40 games? And was subbed on/off in half those if I remember correctly!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, Manning complementary, when played King as you say at CB in extremis iirc. I've a fair idea who made this call- no concrete proof of course but a fair idea.

James I'd have (wages permitting) offered a 2 year deal, perhaps in Year 2 he would have morphed into the elder statesman role that King had while other midfielders started to approach the start of their peak years.

This feels a mistake by the hierarchy..a certain Technikul Directur.

Jon Lansdown alienates the fans with his mere presence, Tinnion with his lack of professionalism and proclamations, decisions- what a team!!

Pops, by definition they are our very own 'A' Team 😀

• Like 1

Typical of Bristol City Analysis. Seems to think King, James, Weimann on high wages. 🙄

Screenshot_20240511-105555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25da22512d7c318f9867a5aacdd84251.jpg

How does that figure given that one resigned and two joined as we were entering austerity.

Plus as non Parachute Championship clubs in particular were emerging blinking into the light post Covid.

Even if it did, what they were on isn't relevant. I think King and Weinmann want to go back home, but I'd have hoped we made a stab at keeping James. We've obviously gone Williams over James though, presumably based on age alone. And nothing to do with him having more gravitas than anyone at the club.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Big C said:

I would imagine that they are confident Williams will sign if they are releasing James or is that just wishful thinking? 😀

That's what I thought. Flawed thinking on their part. Strengthens Williams's hand by making him the exclusive player under consideration, and gives him an offer on the table if he can't do better elsewhere. If he signs in the next couple of weeks, it'll be because we've panicked and made him an offer too good to refuse.

Edited by Sleepy1968

Sad to see James go but not at all surprised. 

To re-sign him, I’d imagine it would have to be on significantly reduced terms and even if he agreed to that, I doubt it would be cheap. 

I think the bigger loss is potentially the collective of King, James, Weimann and Williams if he goes - that’s a massive worry for me. Hopefully their professionalism etc has rubbed off on the younger players. 

Big summer ahead. 

About 25 posts mentioning centre midfielders and not a single mention of Marlon Pack. 
6 years of excellent service. 4 years in the championship. 250 games. Helping us to our highest champ finish aside from the playoff year in nearly half a century. 
Consistent performances year in year out. Never injured. Leadership on the pitch. One of the best passing ranges we’ve ever seen play for us. 

Hartley had 1 season and about 8 good games. 
Marv was brilliant in that first season but then year on year gradually tailed off. 
James has had 3 years, the first year of which he was actually quite poor but has been good since Xmas 22 and for the last 18 months. 

If I was to take any one of those 4 in their peak years I’d have Pack every day of the week. 
The disrespect!! Maaaaann! Unbelievable. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

Typical of Bristol City Analysis. Seems to think King, James, Weimann on high wages. 🙄

Screenshot_20240511-105555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25da22512d7c318f9867a5aacdd84251.jpg

How does that figure given that one resigned and two joined as we were entering austerity.

Plus as non Parachute Championship clubs in particular were emerging blinking into the light post Covid.

Pops. He is very correct. 
James was the biggest earner. By a distance. 
Weimann, even though on revised terms, was still one of the top 3 earners. 
King would have been lower, agreed. 

You say they were signed during the austerity period. 
True. But for us, this meant going with a smaller squad thus enabling us to pay the likes of James, Weimann and Wells the bigger bucks. 

• Thanks 1

Nothing to dislike about James - good solid experienced player, excellent pro., but on high wages and it's really not unusual for players of his age either to be released or want a final, longer contract elsewhere.

So while I'm (a bit) disappointed he's gone whether the decision came from him or the club I understand it and afaic we appreciate what he's done for City and move on with no regrets.

It's how we replace him, and strengthen elsewhere, that counts now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

For those of us with longer memories Gary Shelton was better than both of them so  was the now much lambasted(unjustified imo) Brian Tinnion.

Tinnion barely played above league one standard, nowhere near. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

About 25 posts mentioning centre midfielders and not a single mention of Marlon Pack. 
6 years of excellent service. 4 years in the championship. 250 games. Helping us to our highest champ finish aside from the playoff year in nearly half a century. 
Consistent performances year in year out. Never injured. Leadership on the pitch.

Hartley had 1 season and about 8 good games. 
Marv was brilliant in that first season but then year on year gradually tailed off. 
James has had 3 years, the first year of which he was actually quite poor but has been good since Xmas 22 and for the last 18 months. 

If I was to take any one of those 4 in their peak years I’d have Pack every day of the week. 
The disrespect!! Maaaaann! Unbelievable. 

You've made an excellent case for him being an unremarkable mid championship midfielder, I'll give you that ;)

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pops. He is very correct. 
James was the biggest earner. By a distance. 
Weimann, even though on revised terms, was still one of the top 3 earners. 
King would have been lower, agreed. 

You say they were signed during the austerity period. 
True. But for us, this meant going with a smaller squad thus enabling us to pay the likes of James, Weimann and Wells the bigger bucks. 

The upshot of which might be to pay Twine however much he wants.

Haven’t read it all, but James I wouldn’t have mind keeping, thought we were always a better side with him in it. But understandable why they let him go.

Rare the 3 players leaving go with so much respect. Wish them all well. 

Time for others to step up because they leave a big hole off the pitch to fill 

Edited by Red Army 75

Just now, chinapig said:

The upshot of which might be to pay Twine however much he wants.

I don't think that's the issue. 
If he's on even double the rumours I've seen, he'll be within budget . The issue is what Burnley want for him . 
Failing a miracle Burnley are down , they are unlikely to be doing a firesale , but we can hope. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Haven’t read it all, but James I wouldn’t have mind keeping, thought we were always a better side with him in it. But understandable why they let him go.

Rare the 3 players leaving go with so much respect. Wish them all well. 

Time for others to step up because they leave a big hole off the pitch to fill 

Time for the Technical Director to step up and present Liam with better options for the money they were earning. Simple as that, no excuses.

• Like 4

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Time for the Technical Director to step up and present Liam with better options for the money they were earning. Simple as that, no excuses.

Yep totally agree, just want some players to step up. I can’t keep thinking posting about Tinnion.  Majority of us know he’s a fraud. I’m putting my energy into the team from now on. I can’t change **** all

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

You've made an excellent case for him being an unremarkable mid championship midfielder, I'll give you that ;)

Which is exactly what we are talking about. Because we haven’t been any higher in 50 years. 
So, as a (mostly) mid table champ club over the last 15 years or so, for me he’s the best and most consistent one we’ve had. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Which is exactly what we are talking about. Because we haven’t been any higher in 50 years. 
So, as a (mostly) mid table champ club over the last 15 years or so, for me he’s the best and most consistent one we’ve had. 

Wade Elliott right up there for me - shorter time. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah as soon as I wrote that I realised i was unintentionally agreeing with you!

• Haha 1