IGNORED

Retained list

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Which is exactly what we are talking about. Because we haven’t been any higher in 50 years. 
So, as a (mostly) mid table champ club over the last 15 years or so, for me he’s the best and most consistent one we’ve had. 

I'm with you even if nobody else is!

I guess many fans like midfielders who tear around the pitch or who play the occasional defence splitting pass and don't necessarily notice the contribution of a player like Marlon.

I have said before and still maintain that his performance in the Man Utd game was as good as I have seen from a City midfielder for many a year.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Swede said:

Regarding the younger players I believe I heard BT publicly state that the "crop of 18's" we have coming through are more talented. If that wasn't a nail for the current 21's I don't know what is.

I think Tinnion has said that (or similar) for about the last 10 years. 
Every year it’s “the next crop of youngsters are the best yet”. 
And yet in the last 10 years we’ve only had Vyner, O’Leary, Tommy and Bell who have come through from the younger ranks. 
I’m sure a few of those released today were on the “brilliant crop” about 3 years ago. 

Anyway - condensed version : don’t always believe what comes out of Tinnion’s mouth. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 8

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

About 25 posts mentioning centre midfielders and not a single mention of Marlon Pack. 
6 years of excellent service. 4 years in the championship. 250 games. Helping us to our highest champ finish aside from the playoff year in nearly half a century. 
Consistent performances year in year out. Never injured. Leadership on the pitch. One of the best passing ranges we’ve ever seen play for us. 

Hartley had 1 season and about 8 good games. 
Marv was brilliant in that first season but then year on year gradually tailed off. 
James has had 3 years, the first year of which he was actually quite poor but has been good since Xmas 22 and for the last 18 months. 

If I was to take any one of those 4 in their peak years I’d have Pack every day of the week. 
The disrespect!! Maaaaann! Unbelievable. 

I was at Fratton Park for their last home game of the season when Marlon picked up about ten player of the season awards! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think Tinnion has said that (or similar) for about the last 10 years. 
Every year it’s “the next crop of youngsters are the best yet”. 
And yet in the last 10 years we’ve only had Vyner, O’Leary, Tommy and Bell who have come through from the younger ranks. 
I’m sure a few of those released today were on the “brilliant crop” about 3 years ago. 

Anyway - condensed version : don’t always believe what comes out of Tinnion’s mouth. 

By the way, I’m not saying that 4 in 10 years is a bad thing. It’s still very good to get championship level players through the academy from an early age. 
It’s just the annual propaganda of “the next lot are the best ever” always gets me 🤣

31 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

as for james and king, im not so sure they would have been massive earners, wells and weimann both took pay cuts to stay on,as did baker.

If we're paying 23 year old CMs like Knight £14.5k, Cornick £12k, then I suspect King and Weimann were on at least that kind of figure, James surely nearer £20k.

I suspect these three leaving has freed up something near £50k p/w, it's £45k even if it's 3x an average of £15k.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I never understood this Hartley thing. What was so good about him? 

That book about flyfishing?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TDarwall said:

I think it may be more nuanced than that. He's got family up North & its not impossible he wanted to go back.  It was oft mooted that he cut a pretty lonely figure as the Portishead Costa on a regular basis. 

I'd like to have kept him, but I'd rather we retain Williams (not that it's necessarily an either/or).]

I certainly mentioned this a couple of times, I am pretty sure that leaving is much more his (family) decision, despite some wanting to see this as an "erasing of the Pearson era" he has never appeared to be anything but happy with playing for Manning.

I think it's a shame he has gone, but short of moving Bristol 100 miles North I don't know what the club could have done. He's hardly likely to be swayed by money or contract length by this point in his career. 

As for King, as I mentioned before he apparently hasn't really shown any interest in coaching, so I don't know what role people would have liked him to do.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Best midfielder?

Matty James has been superb both on and off the pitch but it has to be Gerry Gow for me.

Hallelujah - was wondering when somone was going to mention him!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Swede said:

Regarding the younger players I believe I heard BT publicly state that the "crop of 18's" we have coming through are more talented. If that wasn't a nail for the current 21's I don't know what is.

Talking of which does anyone know the status of the players listed below. Are they still at the club or have they gone. 

Jaden Brown, Isaac Finch, Jack Griffin, Jack Hooper, Brandon Oputeri, Fibert Owusu-Antwi, Isaac Richards, Sam West and Tom White. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Pops. He is very correct. 
James was the biggest earner. By a distance. 
Weimann, even though on revised terms, was still one of the top 3 earners. 
King would have been lower, agreed. 

You say they were signed during the austerity period. 
True. But for us, this meant going with a smaller squad thus enabling us to pay the likes of James, Weimann and Wells the bigger bucks. 

& I believe Nige saying “for the love of god, this place is a ******* mess, I can’t stress enough how much we need them”

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Shocking to lose Matty James. But not surprising that good experienced pros who have achieved more than the Head Coach and Technical Director in football are going. This club is going nowhere. 

This is what it is all about. 

It's all well and good buying players like Bird etc. Our recruitment has been pretty good. 

But you need the experienced players to tie it all together. 

I think the problem is that we recruit based on stats. Maybe Bird does have the potential to be a better player than James for example. But this club simply does not understand the importance of having experience in the squad. 

With the way our recruitment strategy is I can't see us buying in experience. 

This club has a real problem with employing experienced people for whatever reason. 

The amount of experience that has left the building over less than a year is staggering and extremely concerning and gives me huge worries for the future. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 8

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I certainly mentioned this a couple of times, I am pretty sure that leaving is much more his (family) decision, despite some wanting to see this as an "erasing of the Pearson era" he has never appeared to be anything but happy with playing for Manning.

I think it's a shame he has gone, but short of moving Bristol 100 miles North I don't know what the club could have done. He's hardly likely to be swayed by money or contract length by this point in his career. 

As for King, as I mentioned before he apparently hasn't really shown any interest in coaching, so I don't know what role people would have liked him to do.

There is absolutely zero evidence of him wanting to leave for family reasons. You're making that up to validate the decision to release him. 

What we do have evidence of is the club have constantly spoken about renewing Williams contract. There has been radio silence on James contract which very much suggets it was the clubs decision to release him. 

King hasn't shown any interest in coaching despite taking his badges and being part of Nigels coaching team? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

There is absolutely zero evidence of him wanting to leave for family reasons. You're making that up to validate the decision to release him. 

What we do have evidence of is the club have constantly spoken about renewing Williams contract. There has been radio silence on James contract which very much suggets it was the clubs decision to release him. 

King hasn't shown any interest in coaching despite taking his badges and being part of Nigels coaching team? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Apologies, I defer to wider knowledge of conspiracy theories. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're the one that posted a conspiracy theory!!!!!

No, I posted something that comes from evidence, but you choose to dismiss it because it doesn't fit your belief. 

But I am not going down this route again, you carry on with your beliefs and I will leave you to it. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

There is also zero evidence of his wage packet or how much he would’ve wanted so……

• Admin
33 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean others haven't... 

It's amazing how yet another thread turns into a pro Pearson comment.... The obsession is off the scale 

You don't have a nickname of Baby reindeer do you? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No, I posted something that comes from evidence, but you choose to dismiss it because it doesn't fit your belief. 

But I am not going down this route again, you carry on with your beliefs and I will leave you to it. 

Sorry, what exact evidence is it?

1 minute ago, phantom said:

It's amazing how yet another thread turns into a pro Pearson comment.... The obsession is off the scale 

Well if someone is "in the know",  surely they have to give chapter and verse or keep quiet?

I could say lots of things but would they be true? Or just made up?

Either tell all, or bugger all!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Well if someone is "in the know",  surely they have to give chapter and verse or keep quiet?

I could say lots of things but would they be true? Or just made up?

Either tell all, or bugger all!

Not sure why he has to? 

Clearly some decisions have personal issues relating to them that certainly aren't for discussion on an open forum. 

If people need to know they will do 

Jesus lads, several things can be true at the same time about Matty James:

- He’s of an age where if we wanted to retain him then we may have to give a longer contract than we’d ideally like to

- He can be one of the higher earners and any renewal may have a desire to reduce that in view of the number of central midfield options we now have (assuming Williams stays) - it’s 4 into 2

- He may be able to line up a club closer to home and from a personal point of view be able to live with his family

- And yes, there may be a desire from some within the club to remove Pearsons ‘lieutenants’

The likelihood here is that it’s totally a mutual parting of the ways. Matty may have stayed if we’d have offered a three year deal on current wages. But if that wasn’t on the table, the balancing of being able to live at home and possibly take a lower salary elsewhere meant from a personal point of view he’d move on. We likely didn’t want to pay the amount/term needed for him to justify the upheaval and he didnt want to take lower terms (duration and wage) when balancing against personal factors.

I would dispute King having no interest in coaching (possibly he had no interest in a specific coaching role - eg if he was asked to work with x group), he’s taken his badges and spoken about wanting to stay in football. But for James, it certainly seems to me a case of everyone may be a little bit right and the arguing is over semantics.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

Best midfielder?

Matty James has been superb both on and off the pitch but it has to be Gerry Gow for me.

Gerry Gow............quite possibly the best midfielder to ever play for us...he had it all..........and at today's prices would be worth around 40 mill IMHO?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

If we're paying 23 year old CMs like Knight £14.5k, Cornick £12k, then I suspect King and Weimann were on at least that kind of figure, James surely nearer £20k.

I suspect these three leaving has freed up something near £50k p/w, it's £45k even if it's 3x an average of £15k.

Weimann & James probably, can’t see King being on much.

First season was injury hit, second one Pearson said he was also coaching.

My guess is he was on far less than the other two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Please forward me a news article where it said he left/wanted to leave due to family. Thanks

• Facepalm 3

56 minutes ago, phantom said:

It seems in this case the evidence being "I saw him in a coffee shop alone" 

The fact is the club have remained silent on his contract. No comments such as "we are in discussions"

Not sure where I've mentioned Pearson? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Gerry Gow............quite possibly the best midfielder to ever play for us...he had it all..........and at today's prices would be worth around 40 mill IMHO?  

Much more than that. Declan Rice went for 100m don't forget...

Gerry would have scared the shit out of him 🤣 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is what it is all about. 

It's all well and good buying players like Bird etc. Our recruitment has been pretty good. 

But you need the experienced players to tie it all together. 

I think the problem is that we recruit based on stats. Maybe Bird does have the potential to be a better player than James for example. But this club simply does not understand the importance of having experience in the squad. 

With the way our recruitment strategy is I can't see us buying in experience. 

This club has a real problem with employing experienced people for whatever reason. 

The amount of experience that has left the building over less than a year is staggering and extremely concerning and gives me huge worries for the future. 

Bizarre how a well thought out post which is pretty factual about football teams needing experience has gathered so many negitive reactions.