IGNORED

Thank you Jamo

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t think age comes into it. If he is good enough to make a difference at this level to a team looking for promotion, you’d sign him on a years contract as there is no risk attached.

The fact he wouldn’t make a difference to a promotion chasing team is the reason one won’t sign him.

I do disagree here because the age is a huge factor. We know that, in football manager parlance, when you start hitting the age MJ is now, “abilities can decline markedly and drastically” - we saw this ourselves with Chris Brunt. I wouldn’t sign him as a promotion chasing side and age would be the huge factor - he could go downhill quickly and is more susceptible to injury (which is why I don’t have a huge issue with our decision) - so I don’t think it’s a risk free transaction, even for a one year deal.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was with you until the relegation battle next season point- I'm not so certain there, but I do share concerns, experience and leadership to fall back on in tough periods, or with what to do next in strong runs is vital.

To caveat my relegation worries. It all depends on who we recruit . I have always thought though that tinnion & Lansdown don’t like having senior pros around . As an outspoken older head. I’d be amazed if Naismith is with us next season . I’m not sure if manning is a strong enough leader to deal with major setbacks. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To caveat my relegation worries. It all depends on who we recruit . I have always thought though that tinnion & Lansdown don’t like having senior pros around . As an outspoken older head. I’d be amazed if Naismith is with us next season . I’m not sure if manning is a strong enough leader to deal with major setbacks.

I think Naismith has a voice has been critical on robin's TV a few times will be interesting to see if he does stay I'm hoping he does because we need all the experience we can get.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Street red said:

I think Naismith has a voice has been critical on robin's TV a few times will be interesting to see if he does stay I'm hoping he does because we need all the experience we can get.

I agree but the danger is his voice not being heard from the treatment room….

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If you need to ask that I can’t really help you. 

We will see where he ends up this summer. If a player of such great quality is available for free he should have his pick of the division. I bet you that’s not the case.

I would love to know what attributes you think he has or hasn’t got which means he isn’t suitable for a promotion chasing team. 

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If you need to ask that I can’t really help you. 

We will see where he ends up this summer. If a player of such great quality is available for free he should have his pick of the division. I bet you that’s not the case.

I would love to know what attributes you think he has or hasn’t got which means he isn’t suitable for a promotion chasing team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Play just seems to stop with him. Slow and backwards passing is my main issue.

What attributes do you think he possesses? I can almost guarantee you whatever you’re about to say probably counts for 99% of midfielders.

James’ experience has been vital for our second-tier survival IMO and I wish him all the best for the future. 

For all the hollow talk of getting to the PL from board, the irony is that over the last 18 months all knowledge of either getting to the PL or being in the PL has now left the club. Nepotism reigns supreme. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, tin said:

James’ experience has been vital for our second-tier survival IMO and I wish him all the best for the future. 

For all the hollow talk of getting to the PL from board, the irony is that over the last 18 months all knowledge of either getting to the PL or being in the PL has now left the club. Nepotism reigns supreme. 

My list the other day / week:

• Alexander
  • Pearson
  • Fleming
  • Euell
  • Rennie
  • King

and now:

• Weimann
  • James

just Wells left (45 mins).

Its not the be-all and end-all, but it’s good to have people around who can at least reference it.

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed watching Matty James play for City. 

It feels like a gamble losing so many experienced pros.

I guess at the some time, who wouldn't want City to have a squad of young hungry players with their best years ahead of them?

But do we have the patience to wait for them to mature? Is there any patience in football?

We could do with more consistent performers like Matty, that's for sure.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

I think most people who say we should've re-signed him are stuck in non-ambitious mode because that is what we are used to and it's difficult to imagine an ambitious Bristol City.

If we want promotion like the lansdowns say we do then, as others have said above, I don't think he's a player that a top six side would sign.  

HOWEVER, despite what the hierarchy say I don't believe we are ambitious and I don't believe we will have a top six side come August.

Happy to be proved wrong, just basing my pessimism on the past evidence.

So maybe we should've signed him for another year. :laugh:

1 hour ago, tin said:

100% suddenly out entire game day set up feels very L1 in terms of experience, massive pressure on LM now, where are the game day generals. 

Worried 

• Like 1

we will miss him when we are 1-0 up  or hanging on for a point  and under the cosh in the last 5 minutes ,  the senior pros seem to have something that can slow things down and take the pressure off a bit.  that was wade elliots main strength in the league one team

6 hours ago, NewquayRed said:

100% suddenly out entire game day set up feels very L1 in terms of experience, massive pressure on LM now, where are the game day generals. 

Worried 

It's certainly high risk building our entire midfield around two that were mainstays in a relegated Derby team

• Like 1

If the new engine room works and we hit the ground running, fine.  If it doesn’t or a rough run arises that’s when the on and off field steadying of the ship from MJ would have been valuable, that’s my worry.

I would have offered him contract terms but I understand those reasoning otherwise.

i have enjoyed watching Matty, excellent experienced pro and I wish him good luck.

We might of course be targeting a younger “old head” but on the basis most of those will question, challenge and query based on their experience, I doubt it very much.

All the best to him.

Would be surprised to see him sign for a club below the midlands.

I don’t think he wanted to stay at this stage in his career as his contract expires. He’s found himself down south, signing under Pearson.

Perhaps it is the right time that he moved back closer to home up north.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Decent player, done a job, but far from great. If you are serious about promotion you don’t have Matty James in your team. There is a reason no realistic promotion hopefuls will be trying to sign him this summer.

Good luck to him though.

We don't know that yet. Hindsight.

All it takes is Coventry resigning him and you never know.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Only have to look at Man Utd to see what can happen when you dont!!!

:laugh: Man Utd has been delinquent for many years, they have a very different problem.  They have a leadership issue and too many big names that are an incoherent mess.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

And that reason has nothing to do with his quality. It has everything to do with the fact that he will be 33 this summer. He’s played (albeit 10 years ago) significant roles in promotion teams at this level.

The reason we’re not resigning him is because of his age and (quite correctly) we’re reticent to offer a longer term deal to a player of that age. For the same reason, that will limit his market as people will be thinking of the potential for injury and the dropoff later in career - realistically he has one or two years left at this level.

So, I agree - promotion chasers won’t sign him. But chiefly because of how old he is as opposed to not having or needing a Matty James in their side - when we played Leicester at home him and Winks were like that Spider-Man meme!

Vardy is 37.

i could go on of course, but age is only relevant when playing form is affected. James played more games  - i think - this season than last, 41 vs 40 ish, so that suggests he is not yet over that hill.

i accept players can decline rapidly, but for me his know how as a senior pro would be worth a lot to a squad clearly focused on 'cheaper' younger talent.

As King has gone too we are short of 'elders'

a 1 year deal? he may have rejected that in the hope of a final 2-3 year payday i suppose, but the club would have surely communicated such an offer via the media as it makes them look pro active, my cynical side suggests they just want to brush away all vestiges of NP

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Antman said:

Vardy is 37.

i could go on of course, but age is only relevant when playing form is affected. James played more games  - i think - this season than last, 41 vs 40 ish, so that suggests he is not yet over that hill.

i accept players can decline rapidly, but for me his know how as a senior pro would be worth a lot to a squad clearly focused on 'cheaper' younger talent.

As King has gone too we are short of 'elders'

a 1 year deal? he may have rejected that in the hope of a final 2-3 year payday i suppose, but the club would have surely communicated such an offer via the media as it makes them look pro active, my cynical side suggests they just want to brush away all vestiges of NP

I don’t understand this “brush away” NP elements - MJ is in his 30s, one of the highest earners in the club and is by no means a 1st choice in 24/25 - makes little sense to keep him unless on heavily reduced terms and even then he is unlikely to accept. As for King, obvious not to renew. Don’t think it has anything to do with NP, just sensible business in my view. 

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

It's certainly high risk building our entire midfield around two that were mainstays in a relegated Derby team

A midfield two that were both 21 when Derby were relegated. A bit harsh to suggest it was their fault.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

That’s very harsh, two of their better players that season and they would’ve survived had their not been such a big points deduction. 

There is no logical thinking on a footballing perspective letting Matty go . He made our midfield tick . This has tinnion & Lansdown written all over it . I’d be amazed if manning didn’t want him. I’m very comfortable with not renewing my season ticket. ******* the pair of them 

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, Jobi said:

I don’t understand this “brush away” NP elements - MJ is in his 30s, one of the highest earners in the club and is by no means a 1st choice in 24/25 - makes little sense to keep him unless on heavily reduced terms and even then he is unlikely to accept. As for King, obvious not to renew. Don’t think it has anything to do with NP, just sensible business in my view. 

One of the highest earners and frankly he is worth it if so but I'm sceptical and probably he is closer to £15,000 than £20,000.

He maybe one of the highest earners now but that was only after 2 years of restraint on expenditure and reduction of the cost base.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One of the highest earners and frankly he is worth it if so but I'm sceptical and probably he is closer to £15,000 than £20,000.

He maybe one of the highest earners now but that was only after 2 years of restraint on expenditure and reduction of the cost base.

Yes but a lot of money for someone who wasn’t going to be first or second choice.