IGNORED

SOTC

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Want to sign a striker, an 10, and a winger. I’d guess that’s not including any outgoings. 

Two quotes that stood out for me (outside of trying to shrug off that the retained list wasn’t sorted, less than a day before it was made public!)

Re Conway - he has a terrific offer. Ball is in his court. Want him to stay but also want people to be here, so basically make your mind up and either sign or stay. Still being challenged a lot at this level which shows it might be too early to jump. 

Re the club - joined because of the ambition the club pitched to him to convince him to join. “Need to back that up in the summer”. Aka, put your money where your mouth is. 

Fair play to him on both those fronts. 

I’ve said here recently after similar semi-targeted comments to Lansdown that he could well get more fans on side with that approach. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Offered without opinion….it depends on whether you evaluate “better defence” purely on goals conceded.

Me and @Silvio Dante have been saying he isn’t a yes man since day 1.  It is clear, whatever you think of him performance wise, he knows what he wants, and how he wants to get there.  No issues with that from me.  I think he’s made it clear again tonight he expects to be backed.

Never believed he’s a yes man , never struck me as a guy who’s taking the job however tempting with those sort of conditions, but that doesn’t fit in with the agenda that a lot on here want to push, let’s hope we do spend at least a reasonable amount to back him 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Want to sign a striker, an 10, and a winger. I’d guess that’s not including any outgoings. 

Two quotes that stood out for me (outside of trying to shrug off that the retained list wasn’t sorted, less than a day before it was made public!)

Re Conway - he has a terrific offer. Ball is in his court. Want him to stay but also want people to be here, so basically make your mind up and either sign or stay. Still being challenged a lot at this level which shows it might be too early to jump. 

Re the club - joined because of the ambition the club pitched to him to convince him to join. “Need to back that up in the summer”. Aka, put your money where your mouth is. 

That 2nd quote is exactly what Pearson said numerous times to be fair back us/show ambition which didn’t go down too well did it. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I don’t think you can compare the two tbh. The situation is very different.

Tommy is out of contract, and has had his chance to show commitment to the club for the best part of a year, and hasn’t. 

He isn’t bigger than the club, and we shouldn’t be bending over backwards for him, in the same way that we didn’t for Massengo. 

FWIW there’s also no doubt in my mind Manning would be managing in the championship right now, if we hadn’t have come in for him. But that’s a moot point. 

To me it came accross as Manning was a bit annoyed about the situation. 

If you want to convince a player to sign a new contract then I'm not sure criticising them on the radio is the best way to go about that. 

I think most of us as fans understand tbe position Tommy is in. Would I be jumping to sign a contract for a manager that doesn't play to my strengths? I don't think so. I think Tommy is currently doing the right thing for Tommy and that's fine. It's up to us if we wish to give him time to consider his options or if we take the decision to sell. 

Oxford invested a lot in Manning in the summer, give him everyone he wanted and just a few months later he jumps ship. I'm not sure he's someone that should be taking the moral high ground on loyalty. 

I think he would have ended up at Swansea but I do think he owed it to Oxford to pay back their loyalty. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 4

I listened in but like lots of managers didn’t reveal anything of importance. I quite liked his the way he handled the question on Andy King by hinting that the door is open in his coaching team without actually saying it! Essentially he put the ball at Kings feet again without actually saying it!

2 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

That 2nd quote is exactly what Pearson said numerous times to be fair back us/show ambition which didn’t go down too well did it. 

I don't think LJ was a yes man either. 

I think the difference is that Pearson was never really the boards choice. He was a means to an ends. 

However both Manning and LJ was the boards choice. The choosen ones and I think that gives them far greater power than Pearson had. 

Kinda like "you choose me, now you must back me or you'll make yourself look bigger idiots" 

I always remember LJ having the belief that we were just one signing away from cracking the code. I kind of get similar vibes now. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The comments came accross in a way to me that could potentially cause more harm than good. 

On the one hand Mr Manning is saying he wants players to be all in and that players shouldn't jump ship etc, but that's exactly what he himself did at Oxford. 

We all know that if say a Southampton came in for Manning 2moro he'd be gone so that talk he gave is just rubbish really.

I think most of us would say Manning jumped from league one to the Championship too soon, but here he is criticising players for wanting to also progress their careers. 

Oxford in playoffs with basically mannings team so he did a fairly good job assembling them last summer now let’s give him a chance with us to see if he can repeat 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Never believed he’s a yes man , never struck me as a guy who’s taking the job however tempting with those sort of conditions, but that doesn’t fit in with the agenda that a lot on here want to push, let’s hope we do spend at least a reasonable amount to back him 

Yep, despite my criticism of him, this was one area I didn’t question him about.

30 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To me it came accross as Manning was a bit annoyed about the situation. 

If you want to convince a player to sign a new contract then I'm not sure criticising them on the radio is the best way to go about that. 

I think most of us as fans understand tbe position Tommy is in. Would I be jumping to sign a contract for a manager that doesn't play to my strengths? I don't think so. I think Tommy is currently doing the right thing for Tommy and that's fine. It's up to us if we wish to give him time to consider his options or if we take the decision to sell. 

Oxford invested a lot in Manning in the summer, give him everyone he wanted and just a few months later he jumps ship. I'm not sure he's someone that should be taking the moral high ground on loyalty. 

I think he would have ended up at Swansea but I do think he owed it to Oxford to pay back their loyalty. 

FWIW I’m a bit unsure whether (paraphrased) “he still has challenges at this level, still a lot to turn…I can understand it if someone’s journey is going far quicker than the teams” is the right approach, but I expect it will bring things to a head, one way or the other, quicker than blowing smoke up his arse.  A little word to his suitors to put their money where Tommy / His Agent’s mouth is.

We will see how it plays out.

Interesting though!

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I listened in but like lots of managers didn’t reveal anything of importance. I quite liked his the way he handled the question on Andy King by hinting that the door is open in his coaching team without actually saying it! Essentially he put the ball at Kings feet again without actually saying it!

I read it as - no, he’s not in any current plans, there is no opportunity, but who knows in years to come.

Emphasis on the attacking areas is certainly no shock, profligacy in front of goal cost us a lot of points this season. And even with Conway still in the building, we’re a central striker short imo. Two if he leaves. So the front line may well be where we spend. 

I’d like to see a couple in the defence, albeit low budget I imagine. Some support for Pring, allowing Roberts to stay central, and maybe one more centre-half with Atkinson and Naismith’s woes. OOC older players maybe, or low budget/risk options from the lower leagues.

Think midfield is set if Joe stays. Two from Knight, Bird, TGH, Williams, Murphy. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

First bit is the most interesting to me.

Owers said last week in a couple of podcasts he would like us to sign a wide player, wonder if he’d heard something?

Not sure where that leaves us regarding the formation as we haven’t really played with wingers, maybe this is as much to give us the option to do so?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, despite my criticism of him, this was one area I didn’t question him about.

FWIW I’m a bit unsure whether (paraphrased) “he still has challenges at this level, still a lot to turn…I can understand it if someone’s journey is going far quicker than the teams” is the right approach, but I expect it will bring things to a head, one way or the other, quicker than blowing smoke up his arse.  A little word to his suitors to put their money where Tommy / His Agent’s mouth is.

We will see how it plays out.

Interesting though!

I read it as - no, he’s not in any current plans, there is no opportunity, but who knows in years to come.

Yes it was that line that made me wince a little. 

I've said it before but I think if you put Conway in a team like Coventry who create lots of chances then he scores 15-20 goals a season. 

• Hmmm 1

The possible wide player target was a new one.

Cornick, Sykes

Bell, Mehmeti

Benarous can play along the midfield too.

Clearly quality for the right price shouldn't be dismissed but is it a priority position- who goes?

Midfield, Knight, Bird, TGH, Williams just feels one too light although Naismith can play there too..feels like we are taking chances again with depth, versatility etc.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was ‘reading between the lines’ Dave. I read it as the door was open but that’s it up to Andy King and that a guy with all his success and experience within the game would be a useful asset. He also said that King had been coaching the academy players whilst doing his badges and that he was very nervous about running the session.

Obviously King isn’t quite ready in coaching terms yet but he has time on his hands and I’d be surprised if he doesn’t join Mannings team at some point.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

First bit is the most interesting to me.

Owers said last week in a couple of podcasts he would like us to sign a wide player, wonder if he’d heard something?

Not sure where that leaves us regarding the formation as we haven’t really played with wingers, maybe this is as much to give us the option to do so?

Ditto.

I’m gonna sit here and see what happens, but first thoughts are we are recruiting for two set-ups

3421 - two no10s no wide men

4231 / 4213 - one no10 two wide men

Need a winger, pace and power.

+++++

Undoubtedly Owers hears things!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cornick, Sykes

Bell, Mehmeti

Clearly quality for the right price shouldn't be dismissed but is it a priority position- who goes?

Midfield, Knight, Bird, TGH, Williams just feels one too light although Naismith can play there too..feels like we are taking chances again with depth, versatility etc.

Mebude was brought in with the intention of purchasing him in the summer. So I think as that didn't work out we're just looking for a replacement for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was ‘reading between the lines’ Dave. I read it as the door was open but that’s it up to Andy King and that a guy with all his success and experience within the game would be a useful asset. He also said that King had been coaching the academy players whilst doing his badges and that he was very nervous about running the session.

Obviously King isn’t quite ready in coaching terms yet but he has time on his hands and I’d be surprised if he doesn’t join Mannings team at some point.

Yeah, no criticism of your reading, we just read it differently, that’s all. 👍🏻

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Mebude was brought in with the intention of purchasing him in the summer. So I think as that didn't work out we're just looking for a replacement for him.

That’s probably the right answer in reality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Ditto.

I’m gonna sit here and see what happens, but first thoughts are we are recruiting for two set-ups

3421 - two no10s no wide men

4231 / 4213 - one no10 two wide men

Need a winger, pace and power.

+++++

Undoubtedly Owers hears things!

Clubs in the bag? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cornick, Sykes

Bell, Mehmeti

I personally see Cornick being shifted on. Bell will probably do well to play this side of Christmas, same with Benarous. 

CM is a worry for me too. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I personally see Cornick being shifted on. Bell will probably do well to play this side of Christmas, same with Benarous. 

Well if you want a powerful wide-man, and you don’t see Cornick as possibly providing that option, then you e got to assume we will try and shift him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm just glad that at least we aren't as batshit crazy as to sign someone with no recent first team appearances on a permanent sight uunseen.Yet.

Small mercies, eh.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Offered without opinion….it depends on whether you evaluate “better defence” purely on goals conceded.

Me and @Silvio Dante have been saying he isn’t a yes man since day 1.  It is clear, whatever you think of him performance wise, he knows what he wants, and how he wants to get there.  No issues with that from me.  I think he’s made it clear again tonight he expects to be backed.

Posted this 8th November - So literally day one!

Haven’t listened yet I kind of hope that it’s the first signs of the last line below coming through!

IMG_3044.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Wow really, that bad?? Benarous I can understand moreso but Bell?

Perhaps a 6 month loan, with an option to extend it make permanent could be one avenue if Bell and Benarous still out for months to come.

We just feel a bit light, not so much on Manning but while the recruitment has been good post 2021 and good value I just have these nagging doubts about an overall cohesive strategy.