IGNORED

This Forum

Dave L

If I'm being honest, I think the conflict we see on this thread is created by some 'youngish' posters who enjoy the variety of posts wanting to stick up for the status quo (no, not the band). And fair play to them. As a young adult they're quite capable of 'mixing it' with all types.

As we get older, we simply get more intolerant. Some even start to vote Conservative! While I can't bring myself to vote Tory just yet, I have to confess that I am in the camp of finding it difficult and tiresome sorting the wheat from the chaff.

While I accept that this may sound condescending or patronising, children and young adults find it difficult to see things through the eyes of older people simply because they haven't been through life as long yet. There is a consistent theme from more 'mature' posters repeating the same message. It is the forum's version of that 'grumpy old men' program. Dismissing some of the suggestions by 'maturer' posters about finding a way of keeping this forum interesting simply demonstrates a lack of maturity and understanding.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I scan read titles and frequently leave 80% of the first page unread. I check if there are any replies on posts that I've contributed to. If I can't find anything interesting after that I'll leave. I feel dissatisfied because I'm aware that of the 80% that I leave there may actually have been the interesting topic / debate that I was looking for.

Is there any way in which as soon as an interesting topic appears, someone can add some sort of icon that means "may be of interest to 'mature' posters". Anyone can add it including the moderators. And just to show I'm still a bit trendy I'll add a: :laugh:

If I'm being honest, I think the conflict we see on this thread is created by some 'youngish' posters who enjoy the variety of posts wanting to stick up for the status quo (no, not the band). And fair play to them. As a young adult they're quite capable of 'mixing it' with all types.

As we get older, we simply get more intolerant. Some even start to vote Conservative! While I can't bring myself to vote Tory just yet, I have to confess that I am in the camp of finding it difficult and tiresome sorting the wheat from the chaff.

While I accept that this may sound condescending or patronising, children and young adults find it difficult to see things through the eyes of older people simply because they haven't been through life as long yet. There is a consistent theme from more 'mature' posters repeating the same message. It is the forum's version of that 'grumpy old men' program. Dismissing some of the suggestions by 'maturer' posters about finding a way of keeping this forum interesting simply demonstrates a lack of maturity and understanding.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I scan read titles and frequently leave 80% of the first page unread. I check if there are any replies on posts that I've contributed to. If I can't find anything interesting after that I'll leave. I feel dissatisfied because I'm aware that of the 80% that I leave there may actually have been the interesting topic / debate that I was looking for.

Is there any way in which as soon as an interesting topic appears, someone can add some sort of icon that means "may be of interest to 'mature' posters". Anyone can add it including the moderators. And just to show I'm still a bit trendy I'll add a:  :laugh:

Milo, don't you just fick through the posts?

I know I do and I also know those that will be of interest, mainly by who else has posted to the thread...... I'm sure I miss some but it works for me.

As for DaveL's original post...... it was very much not the point to just post in agreement but I have to say 'DaveL' you should be commended for your statement.

The forum is a bit over sensitive at present and I think many of the more confrontational posters are steering well clear, because of this the forum is getting a bit dull in my opinion.

For those that have been on for sometime we have seen so many of the posts time and time again (over the years)

It is not always, if ever, the young un's.

I get the impression that many just choose a good tile for their thread to get a high read response.......... I know I do,never works for me though :clap:

I'm not the biggest mass-debater on this forum, though some might disagree.

The ModMen need to re-think part of their brief, though it is accepted we maybe do need them for the odd thread or comment?

A mild public warning, with reason for Moderation, would perhaps be better than a private one thought?

That way everybody gets to know the limits??????

It should still be a fun forum pushing though????? :laugh:

I think the solution is simple.

If you think there's a lack of quality posts then write something interesting and thought-provoking.

And this arguement that the forum is rubbish because the 'quality' posters are staying away annoys me. Maybe instead of sitting in their ivory-towers, they should lower themselves to our level and write something interesting on the forum ? Or will they only come back if the posts on this site get better by themselves ?

Of course for some people the forum will never be as good as it was in the 'old days'. But people move on and new posters appear, this forum (and the ones before it) have seen members come and go all the time.

And yes, I agree on the point about abusing the poster instead of the post - but its not just kids who do it. Some very respected members of this forum will use unnecessary put-downs too.

Why don't they just drop this stupid post count thing then? Why "reward" inane posters by promoting them to academy or whatever? Just leave everyone the same so people are judged on what the post rather than how often they post? That's how I judge contributors not on the post count. Might cut down the traffic.

Oh, and it doesn't matter to me what age you are or what sex you are or even what team you support for that matter!

I think the solution is simple.

If you think there's a lack of quality posts then write something interesting and thought-provoking.

And this arguement that the forum is rubbish because the 'quality' posters are staying away annoys me.  Maybe instead of sitting in their ivory-towers, they should lower themselves to our level and write something interesting on the forum ?  Or will they only come back if the posts on this site get better by themselves ?

Of course for some people the forum will never be as good as it was in the 'old days'.  But people move on and new posters appear, this forum (and the ones before it) have seen members come and go all the time.

And yes, I agree on the point about abusing the poster instead of the post - but its not just kids who do it.  Some very respected members of this forum will use unnecessary put-downs too.

Andy, I take it that nothing I or the other posters have said is thought provoking? If that is so then fair enough........ you maybe don't get me/us?

That in itself is a disappointment, there is plenty to provoke thought and contemplation on this forum and this thread.

Yes, it's true the forum is a bit dull by previous standards..... but if you don't agree then fair enough I don't personally mind.

Yes, members come and go, yes it's not just the kids giving abuse and yes respected forum members will use unecessary put downs, but the point must be that some will find no offence in that & others will.

Finding the balance is what it is all about?

Or have I read the whole thread wrong?

Respect to you Andy and the football team you support!

Bristol City ........ like me and the rest of us ...... apart from the few that have not discovered the delights of BRISTO CITY FC :laugh:

I agree with most of the comments on this thread, i can relate to people like Milo, Robbored, Dave, etc.

I don`t have any answers, i`m not looking for any.

One thing this thread has done for me personally is make me sit back and think about my own contributions over the past 12-18mth.

Gone is the witty, anecdotal Potbelly. Always ready to give up a few minutes in the hope that i could make someone smile.

Instead i have watched myself turn into cynical, short tempered Potbelly, describing fellow posters as "Idiots" and "Juveniles". I`ve even been guilty of baiting (buzz word) people that i once used to have a good laugh and debate with.

Maybe i am turning into a grumpy old man or maybe the board really is made up of Idiots and Juveniles, and along with people in the posts above i am getting tired of sifting through.

The modding is getting out of hand.

In the "old days" we could turn a thread wildly off topic in minutes and keep it going for days. These were the funniest post. Forum characters were born from these types of posts but nowadays they seem to be not allowed.

I would like to add my voice to a call for ALL of the Moderators to be identified. I just think it would be fair and honest for the powers that be to be open about this. If any of them are uncomfortable about this then they shouldn`t be doing the job.

If you must have so many Mods` why not open it up for some of us to do it. Maybe on a rota?

That got some stuff off my chest.

I`ll leave you with a picture of Bristol City`s biggest porcine fan.

Potbelly.

normal_footballpig1.jpg

I think Dave is spot on most of the time and got it just about right in his initial post. And in many ways thats exactly the point - those that I know speak in text talk, talk juevenille twaddle or regularly post the 'What does everyone think of us buying Howard/Henderson/Stewart/Zidane/Viera etc etc?', I simply mentally filter out and don't even bother looking at a post they initiated.

I guess I'm in a minority but I personally appreciate the job the moderators do - in particular combining posts that are similar, though perhaps half the last month's 'Chistian Roberts is useless' posts could have benefitted from such an action. What I do definitely agree with Dave on is the 'scholar to sureme world being ranking. A complete waste of time designed to placate those who used to rate their own schoolmates on the old system. Get rid.

Basically, I know whose opinions I respect and/or are thought-provoking enough for me to respond to (ome back BTRFTG and Redtop, its been too long.....) and no system, sadly, can spare us from the drivel that too many of us post, sorry Dave.

I agree with most of the comments on this thread, i can relate to people like Milo, Robbored, Dave, etc.

I don`t have any answers, i`m not looking for any.

One thing this thread has done for me personally is make me sit back and think about my own contributions over the past 12-18mth.

Gone is the witty, anecdotal Potbelly. Always ready to give up a few minutes in the hope that i could make someone smile.

Instead i have watched myself turn into cynical, short tempered Potbelly, describing fellow posters as "Idiots" and "Juveniles". I`ve even been guilty of baiting (buzz word) people that i once used to have a good laugh and debate with.

Maybe i am turning into a grumpy old man or maybe the board really is made up of Idiots and Juveniles, and along with people in the posts above i am getting tired of sifting through.

The modding is getting out of hand.

In the "old days" we could turn a thread wildly off topic in minutes and keep it going for days. These were the funniest post. Forum characters were born from these types of posts but nowadays they seem to be not allowed.

I would like to add my voice to a call for ALL of the Moderators to be identified. I just think it would be fair and honest for the powers that be to be open about this. If any of them are uncomfortable about this then they shouldn`t be doing the job.

If you must have so many Mods` why not open it up for some of us to do it. Maybe on a rota?

That got some stuff off my chest.

I`ll leave you with a picture of Bristol City`s biggest porcine fan.

Potbelly.

normal_footballpig1.jpg

Nice Pig! :laugh: .... and a good choice of Football team :laugh:

I'm yet another former regular official forum poster that prefers the anarchic style of the yellow subber forum to this geek led and moderated forum. So just for you DaveL - a typical controversial Red Goblin post but I've had to edit certain words to get it past BCFC's geeky Big Brother forum monitoring software.......

September 11th 2004 - Bristol City FC beat Stockport 5-0.....

I paid £19 worth of precious cider tokens for  ... (SNIP) the French service. He subsequently became a sailor and after the Restoration became an Admiral, along with Montagu!

Source: Montagu family website.

Welcome back RG, and you've been much missed. Well, by me, anyway.

That's just the sort of irrelevant, irreverent, incosequential and yet completely harmless post that this forum needs to make it interesting. Or not, as the case may be.

Up the City!

It's a cliche but, this used to be a great forum. I used to post on here every day and love to read all the views. Now I rarely visit. I thought things might change when the forum was given its new look. One of the problems with the old forum was the lack of moderation. Unfortunately, too much moderation is haveng an even more adverse affect. Couple that with the bitching, sniping and putting down that goes on in here of the last 6 or 8 months or so and this forum is now quite simple awful IMO.

There are still several posters on here whos views I enjoy reading, RedTop, Potbelly, DaveL, Robbored, Bristol Boy and Edson to name a majority. As for joining in with the debate? Well, I just can not be bothered with the hassle to be honest

I stick my nose in every now and then to see what's going on, but the problem is that all the people I loved debating/winding up fvcked off months ago. Where are richieb and RedTop, Orj and all the others that came on here for a bit of tomfoolery? It's all so dull these days!

Plus, I still prefer the old website's threading of topics off at tangents, which allowed multiple conversations under the same topic (Red Goblin did well here) and the old ratings which were based on popularity/scores rather than the amount of total Jackson Pollocks you could post.

And what about the passion in the arguments? Seems people just couldn;t hack the stress anymore and decided to sit it out from here. How I long for the halcyon days of people getting ###### off about nothing in particular and for the debates to rage on for days on end about who is being out of order about not much really. It's been ages since I saw a proper trainwreck of a post on here. the last memorable one I can think of was NTTDS's EasyJet classic.

I value and respect the work of Tom and the rest of the modmen in putting this site together and running it on a day-to-day basis, but I still prefer the older one we had. No doubt there are features and settings you can change to make this one more like the old one, but frankly I can't be arrrsed and the fact no-one else can either makes this place relatively dull. In my view anyway.

Cheers to Dave for speaking up as I have missed having somewhere decent to go when I am skiving.

By the way, the lads are playing well these days, aren't they!? About flipping time.

I visit this forum almost every day, sometimes I post sometimes not but I do read a lot of the post. Throughout this thred there have been lots of valid point made such as repeated thread (Roberts, tinmans replacement though that seems to have died etc)but you do have a choice in what you read. I don't bother with the "we love " or "we hate roberts" threads or things along those line, why? because I chose not to.

As for youngsters posting we must let them, some youngsters do know what they are talking about and those that do post stupid threads (and I confess my son has been guilty of that.) need to learn, not in a shut up and go away manner but with an explanation because when they do learn how to post correctly they will make a valuble contribution. Losing the rating would be good to stop people posting to gain places. I've been supporting City for 30 years I don't need to be told what I am and if I should ever get to the "first team" I'd expect to get a few grand a week for it :laugh:

People talk about those who don't post anymore, well I can't comment about them but there are still some good contributors here who's post I will read on the strength of their name alone. We've all got our opinions and are entitled to them but bottom line is we are all red at heart and love the club.

So after reading the first post, I promptly checked out the yellow subbers forum. Now even a day later, all the posts are just about irrelevant talk such as 'where wouldn't you like to live in Bristol' and what have you had for tea'!

I agree that people should not use text speak but at least most of the posts on here are relevant. I came on here because I wanted to hear about Bristol City and what other fans think of the great reds. Also, posts that ask for other people's opinions are sometimes very interesting and funny when the Roberts and Miller supporters come out fighting.

Now that the summer is over and all the crap subjects are out of the way...Lets all talk about football and what is wrong/right about the team. I will use this forum for a while yet.

Morning Guys and Gals: Re this forum arguement-I come on here to speak to other fans, and find out what really is going on, not the official party line. I'm far too old and cynical to beleive what the offish tells me. Living where I do its a chance to chat with other reds.

Its gone down hill in the last six months or so. Its largely (But not exclusively down to kids-there are about 20-25 of you, who make more sense than half the adults)-pointless posts about hair, cars, blah blah, all in txt spch, and all that kin swearing (Guilty as charged, m'lud)

The reasoned arguement has also gone out of the window, in the same period..why I've no idea, but for some reason, threads on controversial topics usually degenerate into slanging matches. Our AHEM highly successful last season may have a lot to do with it, and the drop off in opposition fans likewise...some people here are hyper sensitive to opposition wind ups. Dr F-your standards are deffo slipping my man!!

I'm one of those that now uses the Subbers site a lot more...I feel more at home, and comfortable doing so, thats not a dig at anyone, just my opinion (And there are quite a few of you out there who would probably agree thats where I should stay!)Irreverance rools, my little chums..........

This site is now too moderated, as in people complain far too quickly, which means the Mods have to react.....sign to me of losing your arguements, unless complaining about threats etc. At least one poster, no names no pack drill, has fallen out with others on both forums, and has had the b @llox to face up to and deal with the problem-Well done!! There are others who may care to think about it. As for all this cliques b @rlickx, well...you really should get out more, if thats what you feel

I would also like to see a period of self policing, in a full open forum, BUT, for those who insist on TXT etc, and don't like swearing maybe a separate forum be created?. Some of the older posters may wish to add to this, but thats my take

I use both forums, and thats my humble, inarticulate views on it..and now back to the dead action from Ninian Park..................... :laugh:

I did see one moderator's comment on a posting to the effect that if that particular poster posted in text form once more then that posting would be deleted. That's good, I hate text style when NOT on a mobile. Mobiles have a limited space of course so hence the necessity for text talk thre, but here you have as much space to type what you need and we must encourage use of our language in its proper form, not the b'stardised format text reduces it to, whereupon it becomes incomprehensible to all but the text addicts.

On the subject of reasoned debates that DaveL refers to, is the responsibility of those who are capable of debating reasonably to do so on this forum, and ignore the muppets who resort to swearing. That in itself indicates a lack of education and maturity, so lets raise the level by ignoring those poor quality postings that haveno contribution to an interesting and enjoyable read. We are the lifeblood of this forum, so its our responsibility to respond to the postings that surely deserve a sensible response, and surely all we need to do is to ignore the mindless rantings and muppet-speak?

PS As to Red Goblin, I actually enjoy HIS rantings on Olly Cromwell, if only to have a go back at that ugly wart infested dictator. That's Olly Cromwell by the way, not Red Goblin.

On the subject of reasoned debates that DaveL refers to, is the responsibility of those who are capable of debating reasonably to do so on this forum, and ignore the muppets who resort to swearing.  That in itself indicates a lack of education and maturity, so lets raise the level by ignoring those poor quality postings that haveno contribution to an interesting and enjoyable read. 

I agree with what you say above, but all too often i have watched good threads being hijacked by the muppets. (it nearly happened with this one)

I can live with skipping titles, i ignore posts started by many,

but the rot has set in so deep that good posts by people i respect and enjoy reading are being filled with text speak, bad language and bad manners.

It was easier with the old threaded version, you could jump in and out of a debate, and many threads formed their own sub-thread. This meant that you could continue to contribute to a good thread and ignore the part that had broken off into a different direction.

I wonder if the club might like to try having a separate invite-only forum on here  :laugh:

That is a great idea!

All the top posters can go off to their little huddle and the rest of us can continue to talk crap all day! :laugh::P

I'm your biggest fan.  You provide me and my passengers with hours of endless fun and eager anticipation just hoping to catch a glimpse of you.

This is spooky,

Are you reading my inbox?

Apart from the word "passengers" that is almost word for word an exact copy of the last PM i received from Edson.

Interesting thread and a delight to read some of the replies, helps when the opening post is so well constructed and reasoned and close to so many hearts.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the relatively large numbers of members who are exiles. We don't get the local media coverage and for many it is their only independent view of what is really happening. The official site is not going to tell us that player X is playing poorly etc. etc.

Talking of independent, and I wouldn't normally comment on the official forum, there is a problem with the rivals site as mentioned by one or two in this thread. A problem which has saddened me immensely. I cannot explain the real reasons on that forum as it is at a delicate stage and obviously Rivals may read same.

As many of you know, I took over form Rob Fernandes as publisher of the bristolcitynet website at the beginning of last season. Rob was keen for someone else to take over the site as his work commitments did not allow him the time to run the site. Towards the end of last season I lapsed into poor health and am only very recently recovering. During this time the site was neglected (can't do a lot from a hospital bed).

During the last 6/8 weeks I have experienced problems with assessing the site to make updates, change the format, post match reports, match previews, Green Un's excellent Robins rivals revealed and much much more. The regulars know the problem, others have simply posted sarcastic posts, fair enough, they aren't aware of the situation.

Rivals denied for some time that there was a problem assessing the site, then, admitted that it was not just bristolcitynet that was suffering this problem but many others too. Last week I was told that the problem had been resolved, I am however still experiencing problems with assess.

Additionally there is an unsubstantiated rumour that rivals are to drop all sites outside of the Premier and Championship. As I state this is a rumour. This may not actually be a bad thing for the site. Rob still owns the domain name and it could revert to a totally independent site.

I have sent 5 emails to rivals in the past week stating that I am still experiencing problems with assess. If there is a PC wizard who might be able to help then please make contact.

I am desparate to have the site running smoothly and providing an independent, relevant, topical and up to date alternative to the official site once more.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ian - cheshire_red

bristol_ian@hotmail.com

This is spooky,

Are you reading my inbox?

Apart from the word "passengers" that is almost word for word an exact copy of the last PM i received from Edson.

No not reading your inbox.

However, there is a pot bellied pig that lives at Crews Hole. My Mrs said she saw it but I managed to convince her she was going mad. However, Willsbridge Red who I give a lift to work and to football and some of his mates have seen it. Loads of people appear to know know about the pig.

It has got so bad now that I drive at snails pace near where the pig (and some goats) lives just to get a glimpse.

I saw it myself the other week and now my Mrs is demanding an apology which keeps Willsbridge Red entertained. I am trying to tell her it was actually a pot bellied shetland pony I saw but she is having none of it.

sorry to hear of your ill health

It would be good to have the net centre up again, as it often proved to be a real refuge when this forum was at it's worst.

(as for the age / health thing, maybe we could have an over 40's aches and pains forum where us 'grandads' whinge about what bits have dropped off this week etc - and expect no sympathy from our wives/girldfriends/partners, bitter, moi?)

:laugh:

Archived