IGNORED

Louis Carey

foghornred

Maybe he had lost confidence in the Chairman and his "new" manager !!!!

Possible, but I suspect he just wanted more money and City couldn't match what a Championship side were offering.

Though having a new manager, being offered appearance-related pay and not knowing if you'd walk into the team as you have done before, may have been a concern for him, I guess.

Possible, but I suspect he just wanted more money and City couldn't match what a Championship side were offering.

Though having a new manager, being offered appearance-related pay and not knowing if you'd walk into the team as you have done before, may have been a concern for him, I guess.

It's a shame the concern for us all now is the defence, that, personalities aside, he would still walk into !!!!!!

Sorry Edson.  RedZepperin is spot on.  Shame that you feel Carey's departure was well-handled by the club but then again, this regime can do no wrong in your eyes.

I haven't said it was well-handled by the club, I've said there was no need for him to embellish his story with the 'testimonial' routine.

I feel he let himself down, which was a shame, as he served the club well and had no need to leave with any hint of a cloud over him.

I also found your Incider 'cartoon' depicting Carey doing passing practice with his new Coventry team-mate (pictured in one of the stands) rather spiteful and unneccessary.  It just sought to undermine and severely diminish any credibility you could have claimed to have when commenting on Carey.

Yes, though I trust he has a sense of humour. He's moved to a higher division, so he has the last laugh.

If you go back through the back issues, you'll notice other items that aren't factually correct, but are merely done for a bit of a laugh (try it some time).

I'll come clean: Joe Burnell doesn't have toblerone for feet, Brian Tinnion was born in 1968 and not 1845 as we claimed, Danny Wilson did not have a random team generator and none of our Reader Offers were ever actually for sale.

Sorry about that.

Leave the lad alone and direct your vitriol towards the people who are doing real damage to this club instead.

Such as?

Sorry, you must have missed part of my post.

I said, "Such as?".

How about:-

a) the board - cost-cutting bean-counters with no real ambition but to have balanced books at the end of the fiscal year. Falling gates.

b) the coaching staff - plenty of FA badges (did Clough, Shankly or Paisley have any?) Unnecessary signings. 15th position. Conceded 20 goals. 13 points from 11 games. Going backwards at a rate of knots. Rovers and Yeovil derbies to look forward to next year then.

c) the players - half-hearted performances. Lack of discipline on and off the pitch. Too many in the comfort zone and all too willing to do the bare minimum to justify picking up their wages.

Whilst the efforts of Carey have been appreciated by many supporters, going to the press and whingeing about the club is not the way for a "professional" to act. As for the loyalty card, fair enough to an extent, but didn't the guy earn wages over the nine year period that most of us on this forum would be very happy to receive?

I have been at my present company for ten years, as it happens. I am not getting any sort of loyalty bonus or "testimonial". This is peculiar to football and was originally intended for the guy who earned about the same as the working guy in the street and was then cast aside aged 35 with no prospects.

Even average third division players of today (old money) earn far more than their counterparts of yesteryear ever did. Therefore I have no sympathy whatsoever for Carey, in terms of not getting a testimonial. He may be a great guy, I don't know, but he comes across as an ungrateful overpaid whingeing prima donna (like many footballers).

After reading all of your comments I feel I would like to add my own. So here goes:

Louis Carey in my opinion was an excellent player, Jamie Smith is an adequate replacement but will never fulfil the role Carey played on the team. He showed constant commitment to the club and had great ability which was reflected by his PFA award.

It seems Louis Carey's loyalty to the club has gone unnoticed by some people which I find absolutely disgraceful. I was so annoyed as a result I actually sent a letter personally to Carey. I stated that I couldn't believe how badly he was treated and that he should of deserved a testimonial. I also stated that his continual efforts did not go unoticed by many of us and thanked him for everything he gave us. I felt I had to do so, I never heard anybody thank him, all I heard was everybody speaking against him.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't blame Carey for going. He spent I believe 9 years here on contract and many more as a youngster, a true fan and a true player, infact a truly great person. To of spent almost all of your life dedicating yourself to a football club and then told you can't get what you deserve must of been upsetting. Put yourself into his shoes, I don't blame him for going public with the whole situation, the way he was treated wasn't good enough.

We know all the upsets with the agent situation, but have you ever felt that he had to bring in an agent to help him get what he deserved to help him prove his point. I see where he was coming from in the sense that all the local lot just have to settle for second best.

The same situation is happeninG again with Roberts. The club is concentrating on bringing in new players when the ones we have are good enough if given the chance.

So, Claloudav, I assume you are saying that Carey never used an agent in any of his previous contract negotiations during his nine years at City, only at the end of last season to prove a point. Sorry, but I find that hard to believe.

As for testimonials, as I believe most pro's earn more than enough throughout their career's not to warrant one. I think they have served their purpose (read my previous post if you don't know what that is) and are not needed in the modern game - unless you do a Niall Quinn and give the cash to Charity.

So, Claloudav, I assume you are saying that Carey never used an agent in any of his previous contract negotiations during his nine years at City, only at the end of last season to prove a point. Sorry, but I find that hard to believe.

I never said he did or didn't. I just said that on that ocassion he may of needed an agent to help him get what he deserved.

Just out of interest, did Louis reply to your letter, thanking you for your support?

Louis actaully sent me a signed photo throught the post shortly afterwards.

I feel exactly like you Claloudav.  I find it hard to believe that people are arguing with your points because they are all valid.

Thanks, I jsut feel there was no need of everyone to be so harsh towards somebody who has put a lot into or club.

Nice to see Louis Carey at Saltergate(wearing a city top),

I wonder what he thought of Jamie Smiths performance?

The second point does not seem to have been addressed. Having seen the highlights on Sky today, I should think Louis thought pretty much the same as anyone with any common sense. That is, a stupid and unnecessary "challenge", not for the first time this season, which ultimately is likely to cost us much needed points.

The second point does not seem to have been addressed. Having seen the highlights on Sky today, I should think Louis thought pretty much the same as anyone with any common sense. That is, a stupid and unnecessary "challenge", not for the first time this season, which ultimately is likely to cost us much needed points.

And not for the first time this season he has lunged.

How about:-

b) the coaching staff - plenty of FA badges (did Clough, Shankly or Paisley have any?)  Unnecessary signings.  15th position.  Conceded 20 goals.  13 points from 11 games.  Going backwards at a rate of knots.  Rovers and Yeovil derbies to look forward to next year then.

FA badges are a requirement these days so their isn't much point about having a pop about them. Also they are a very inexperienced team. That isn't their fault and they will learn from the mistakes they make this year. However if they get another year at this club that will be a different question.

Your point being ... ?

Do you not think those gentlemen would have got the paperwork if they'd needed to?

My point is that there doesn't seem to be much evidence of any coaching going on. Also, ownership of FA coaching badges doesn't necessarily mean that the qualified coach will actually turn out to be a competent coach.

One of the reasons given for Tinnion's appointment (besides "ee's a legend" and "ee's full of passion") were that he had taken the time to attain FA qualified coach status. Unfortunately, it's not giving the club the right results at the moment and I don't see it improving.

FA coaching badges are all to do with EU directives concerning employment and consequently being properly qualified. They are, in the context of successful management, pointless as Tinnion and Millen are proving.

I urge you to take a look at the Reserves and the Academy's results to see that the club is rife with poor coaching. It needs sorting out sooner rather than later.

My point is that there doesn't seem to be much evidence of any coaching going on.  Also, ownership of FA coaching badges doesn't necessarily mean that the qualified coach will actually turn out to be a competent coach.

I'm having a knee op next week - no guarantees but I'd sooner take my chances with a qualified surgeon than an unqualified one.

I'm having a knee op next week - no guarantees but I'd sooner take my chances with a qualified surgeon than an unqualified one.

But would you rather have your surgery performed by a surgeon who had been appointed due to his exceptionally brilliant and successful career or one who had been appointed solely because he was a 'yes-man' for the hospital board?

But would you rather have your surgery performed by a surgeon who had been appointed due to his exceptionally brilliant and successful career or one who had been appointed solely because he was a 'yes-man' for the hospital board?

Tinman is a yes man is he? Can you prove this? He took the job offered to him, and he has managed how he see's fit, and the board have showed patience with him.

All in all an irrelevant point poorly made. Next time back it up

And precisely how many "Brilliant and Successful" managers end up in our league then? You either get "young and untried" or "experienced round the block" types.

Tinman is a yes man is he? Can you prove this? He took the job offered to him, and he has managed how he see's fit, and the board have showed patience with him.

All in all an irrelevant point poorly made. Next time back it up

Tinnion is a yes man.

Why do you think he was offered the job without an interview and less than 24 hours after Wilson was sacked?

Why did he say that he had been distancing himself from the rest of the squad during Wilson's tenure? To make himself look more like 'management material' to the board.

Why has Tinnion been involved in contract negotiations with the younger members of the squad in the last few years? Because the board asked him to and he said - wait for it - 'Yes!'

Tinnion wasn't offered the job - he was promised the job. Why was Millen given the job? Becuase he's Tinnion's mate - not because of any ability.

Why was Tinnion promised the job? Because he's Lansdown's mate and the board's yes-man. No other club in the division would have given Tinnion the job.

Look at this list:

Luton - Newell - experienced

Tranmere - Little - experienced

Brentford - Allen - experienced

Colchester - Parkinson - no experience but no resources, finances etc.

Hull City - Taylor - experienced

Chesterfield - MacFarland - experienced

Huddersfield - Jackson - experienced

Swindon - King - experienced

Hartlepool - Cooper - experienced

Bradford - Todd - experienced

Sheffield Wed - Sturrock - experienced

Bournemouth - O'Driscoll - inexperienced (same resources as City? I think not)

Wrexham - Smith - experienced

Doncaster - Penney - inexperienced (same resources as City? I think not)

All the teams currently above us. O'Driscoll, Parkinson and Penney are or were in the same boat as Tinnion but with far less resources behind them yet they are still above us!! Doncaster were in the conference a couple of seasons ago! None of those three hava an academy either. Can't you see a pattern forming here?

It is a highly relevant point - just look at the table. Is this 'backed up' enough for you? It wasn't a poorly made point - you just didn't understand it.

Can't you see a pattern forming here?

Yep, sure can ... anonymous "new" forum ID starts by slagging-off Danny Wilson (experienced) then within months smears into his successor ... nothing positive to say about anyone or anything associated with the club ... hmm, doesn't ring any bells at all.

He was at the club 10 years!!  They told him he couldn't have a testimonial until he signed.

Thats a discrace, he didn't deserve that.

Why is it a disgrace, do you think we should give evryone a tesimonial that leaves us.

He was a bitter and twisted man when he left, better off he did go.

Why do you think he was offered the job without an interview and less than 24 hours after Wilson was sacked? 

So what happened during the 3 hour interview that Lansdown gave him on the day of his appointment then?

Believing the same things as someone else is not the same as being a "yes man". Both SL and BT have the same aims for the club, and they are largely in agreement about how to achieve them. I see this as a good thing rather than a bad thing.

Yep, sure can ... anonymous "new" forum ID starts by slagging-off Danny Wilson (experienced) then within months smears into his successor ... nothing positive to say about anyone or anything associated with the club ... hmm, doesn't ring any bells at all.

Who is this anonymous poster? I'd love to know 'cos it sure weren't me.

Nothing positive to say? Where are the positives?

Falling gates?

Poor results?

Poor coaching?

15th position?

Best defence last season to one of the worst this season?

Lack of discipline on and off the pitch?

Reserves and Academy turning in poor results too?

Wasteful and needless signings?

Shame to see you're happy with the direction the club is heading in. We're not allowed to criticise the sainted Tinnion or the beatified Lansdown then?

We had six full houses in a row at the end of last season. We'll be lucky to get 10,000 for the next home game and even Tranmere are getting bigger gates than us now. Is that positive?

Perhaps the pattern is too many supporters believing hollow promises from the board, watching a poor standard of football in this dung-heap of a division and then criticising those who complain that it's not good enough!! Priceless!!

Archived