IGNORED

Louis Carey

foghornred

Look at this list:

Luton - Newell - experienced

Tranmere - Little - experienced

Brentford - Allen - experienced

Colchester - Parkinson - no experience but no resources, finances etc.

Hull City - Taylor - experienced

Chesterfield - MacFarland - experienced

Huddersfield - Jackson - experienced

Swindon - King - experienced

Hartlepool - Cooper - experienced

Bradford - Todd - experienced

Sheffield Wed - Sturrock - experienced

Bournemouth - O'Driscoll - inexperienced (same resources as City?  I think not)

Wrexham - Smith - experienced

Doncaster - Penney - inexperienced (same resources as City?  I think not)

All the teams currently above us.  O'Driscoll, Parkinson and Penney are or were in the same boat as Tinnion but with far less resources behind them yet they are still above us!!  Doncaster were in the conference a couple of seasons ago!  None of those three hava an academy either.  Can't you see a pattern forming here?

It is a highly relevant point - just look at the table.  Is this 'backed up' enough for you?  It wasn't a poorly made point - you just didn't understand it.

Excuse me, but this is just rubbish.

Even some of the managers you say are "experienced" had no or very little track record of league management when they took over at their current clubs. For example:

Newell - a whole six months at Hartlepool

Allen - absolutely bugger all

Jackson - a season and a half at Huddersfield, then nothing at all until he went back there a long time later

King - three very mediocre years in charge at Mansfield

Cooper - previously manager at Ross County.

If you don't believe this, then go and look at soccerbase.com (but then why let facts get in the way of a good rant?)

And would you really want a journeyman like Little, Macfarland or Smith? I wouldn't.

As many, many people have already said, the very best managers have to start somewhere.

Tinnion has had a whole 11 league games in charge. Some things have gone well, while others haven't. But it's been exciting, the team has shown a lot of spirit and there are some very good signs. And the "cost-cutting bean-counters with no real ambition but to have balanced books at the end of the fiscal year" as you so charmingly describe them continue to plough their own money into this club to support both the day to day running costs and to finance new signings.

Either give Tinnion a fair chance - which means at least a season unless we're in danger of relegation - or go and join the anti-Atkins brigade at the Mem where you can moan until your heart's content.

Excuse me, but this is just rubbish.

Even some of the managers you say are "experienced" had no or very little track record of league management when they took over at their current clubs.  For example:

Newell - a whole six months at Hartlepool

Allen - absolutely bugger all

Jackson - a season and a half at Huddersfield, then nothing at all until he went back there a long time later

King - three very mediocre years in charge at Mansfield

Cooper - previously manager at Ross County.

If you don't believe this, then go and look at soccerbase.com (but then why let facts get in the way of a good rant?)

And would you really want a journeyman like Little, Macfarland or Smith?  I wouldn't.

As many, many people have already said, the very best managers have to start somewhere.

Tinnion has had a whole 11 league games in charge.  Some things have gone well, while others haven't.  But it's been exciting, the team has shown a lot of spirit and there are some very good signs.  And the "cost-cutting bean-counters with no real ambition but to have balanced books at the end of the fiscal year" as you so charmingly describe them continue to plough their own money into this club to support both the day to day running costs and to finance new signings.

Either give Tinnion a fair chance - which means at least a season unless we're in danger of relegation - or go and join the anti-Atkins brigade at the Mem where you can moan until your heart's content.

Umm, I don't believe this and I'll think you'll find Martin Allen was manager at Barnet and did rather well there . So your claim that he had "bugger all" experience is wrong (but then, why let the facts get in the way of a good rant.) Your reasoning is full of holes - 'they have had experience but not at proper clubs like City etc'. Not much foundation there.

Newell - running away with the league?

Allen - unfashionable Brentford 2nd?

Jackson - Huddersfield unlucky to draw at AG?

King - didn't his Swindon side make us look stupid at AG not that long ago?

Cooper - wasn't his Hartlepool side the better one in the play-offs (against us) last year?

However much experience they had before they joined their respective clubs, they are still above us. Go and make your mistakes in the Conference and the non-leagues not at AG.

Journeymen like Little, MacFarland and Smith don't seem to be doing so bad at the moment do they?

Hey great! We played spirited, exciting football as we finished 14th in this division and saw three more teams get promoted with less resources than us - is that what you'll be saying in May?

The bean-counters "plough" their money into the club because they want to. They weren't forced to do it. They also "plough" our money into the club and aren't doing a very good job of it. What proportion of their money goes into the club compared with the supporters? Rather less I suspect.

Tinnion's been in charge for 21 games now so I think he should have got his team sorted out by now.

And as for your 'Go and watch the Rovers' comment:-

a) pathetic

b) we're turning into Rovers anyway!

Danny Wilson did not have a random team generator

:D Are you saying that his team selections were based on footballing expertise?

Now that would be a story! :city:

Unless you're joking again, in which case I'm confused. From now on, could you raise a little flag :wub: when partaking in a humourous exchange. :blush:

How about:-

a) the board - cost-cutting bean-counters with no real ambition but to have balanced books at the end of the fiscal year.  Falling gates.

b) the coaching staff - plenty of FA badges (did Clough, Shankly or Paisley have any?)  Unnecessary signings.  15th position.  Conceded 20 goals.  13 points from 11 games.  Going backwards at a rate of knots.  Rovers and Yeovil derbies to look forward to next year then.

c) the players - half-hearted performances.  Lack of discipline on and off the pitch.  Too many in the comfort zone and all too willing to do the bare minimum to justify picking up their wages.

a) We have more season ticket holders than last season and the average home gate is only 100 down on last season (a fall, I grant you, but bearing in mind we had 4 or 5 full houses towards the end of last season, it's not overly alarming).

I think 'bean-counting', as you call it, is no bad thing, when it is aimed at stabilising our club's finances. But we have signed a number of expensive players in the last couple of years (possibly the biggest spenders? Not sure about that though), which suggests to me that the ambition is there to back the manager.

b) Interestingly, Brian Clough didn't get Hartlepool challenging for promotion until his second season. At Derby, his team finished 18th in Division Two (as was) in his first season in charge, before getting promoted the following season. At Forest, his team finished 8th in his first season before gaining promotion the following season.

Bill Shankly had little or no success at Carlisle, Grimsby, Workington and Huddersfield, before landing the Liverpool job in 1959.

Liverpool gained promotion in Shankly's second season in charge, finishing third (only a play-off place these days, it could be argued, I suppose).

Paisley is harder to guage, as he'd been on Liverpool's backroom staff for many years and took over an already succesful team in an era when very few players left clubs looking for a lucrative transfer.

Now, I'm not suggesting Tinnion is the next Clough or Shankly, that would be crass. But he has only had 11 league games and the men you rightly cite as examples of brilliant managers didn't achieve success with any club they managed until their second season in charge at the very earliest.

I'm unsure who you feel were unnecessary signings. Heffernan was necessary, I would say. If Leroy wasn't scoring (and not many of us foresaw that he would. I certainly didn't), then I imagine there would be posts on here along the lines of "What was Tinnion thinking, expecting an untried 19 year old to get the goals we needed?".

Orr was a good buy and will prove to be a useful utility player as the season progresses, I think.

Brooker looked very promising on Saturday and helped us look better at both ends of the pitch, so I'm hoping for great things from him and a more consistent set of results and performances as a result of his arrival.

Smith was brought in to replace Carey and does look an adequate replacement at times. However, his temperament has let him down again, so I'm not sure where he goes from here. But Orr filled in extremely well against Chesterfield, again proving what a useful signing he was.

c) I agree the discipline issue is a concern, and one I hope is addressed. I haven't seen too many half-hearted performances in the limited number of games I've managed to get to. Perhaps, you could highlight the guilty parties.

Interesting comment about players in the comfort zone, happy to do the bare minimum to pick up their wages. I presume you don't think Carey was ever guilty of that. Again, who are you saying is guilty of that this season?

And as for your 'Go and watch the Rovers' comment:-

a) pathetic

b) we're turning into Rovers anyway!

I don't make these kind of comments lightly. But you have been slagging off Tinnion and the board for months now - starting well before any City player had kicked a ball under Tinnion's leadership.

Most fans, even if they disagree with a choice of manager, will at least back him once he's appointed. But you were criticising him within days of his appointment.

"

I'm having a knee op next week - no guarantees but I'd sooner take my chances with a qualified surgeon than an unqualified one."

Ain't that the truth! However, the fact is that football is different from most professions in that qualifications actually don't mean that much. Most successful managers possess the right instincts (and a healthy slice of luck) rather than the right qualifications. I'm not saying that, given time, Tinman won't develop those instincts but my gut feeling is that he doesn't have them at the moment. I really wish that he had taken a coaching or managing role at somewhere like Forest Green before taking the City job because I feel that our club are suffering whilst he tries to conquer his steep learning curve.

We all wish him well anyway.

Hope the knee op goes smoothly.

I really wish that he had taken a coaching or managing role at somewhere like Forest Green before taking the City job because I feel that our club are suffering whilst he tries to conquer his steep learning curve.

I think it's fair to say that keeping Forest Green up this season would be an even tougher job than getting City promoted :blush:

Of course I do see the point you are making, and I agree to an extent. If it does turn out he's not up to it (though I have every confidence that he is), it would be easier on everyone for him to fail at another club rather than City.

Tinnion is a yes man.

In what way? If you mean he broadly agrees with how the board are running the club, then that's not necessarily a bad thing, is it? Shankly walked out on a number of clubs, as he didn't see eye to eye with the board, before finally arriving at Liverpool where he found a board who he could work with and success soon followed a previously unimpressive start in management.

If you are saying that the board tell him what players to bring in etc., then I would disagree and ask you for evidence.

What is the alternative? A 'no' man? I have no idea what that would entail either.

Why do you think he was offered the job without an interview and less than 24 hours after Wilson was sacked?

He was interviewed for three hours.

Why did he say that he had been distancing himself from the rest of the squad during Wilson's tenure?  To make himself look more like 'management material' to the board. 

Tinnion never made any secret of the fact he hoped to manage the club one day. Presumably, he started putting some distance between himself and the other players when Danny Wilson appointed him as player/coach, and quite right too.

Why has Tinnion been involved in contract negotiations with the younger members of the squad in the last few years?  Because the board asked him to and he said - wait for it - 'Yes!'

So, he says 'yes' to something and that makes him a yes man, does it? (Be careful how you answer that).

I have no idea if Tinnion was or wasn't involved in contract negotiations with younger players. In what capacity are you saying he was involved, and with which players? And why would he say 'no', if he felt he had something to offer, in terms of inspiring young players to sign for the club? Surely, if he felt he could help, then good for him for doing so, rather than doing the bare minimum for his wages.

Tinnion wasn't offered the job - he was promised the job.  Why was Millen given the job?  Becuase he's Tinnion's mate - not because of any ability.

No, he was interviewed and then offered the job. There were never any promises prior to that interview. Unless you are saying you have evidence to the contrary. In which case, perhaps you could let us know.

As I understand it, Millen's youth team played some of the best football played by any team at Ashton Gate during his period in charge. I didn't see them myself, but I heard those reports from people on here, whose opinions I have a great deal of respect for. With that in mind, clearly it was decided that he had what it takes to make a step up to the senior team.

In another post, you cite Liverpool under Shankly and then Paisley as examples of brilliant managers. Liverpool ran a 'boot room' system and appointed from within, employing people they knew and trusted. Why should that then be sneered at at Bristol City, when you've remarked on its success elsewhere?

Why was Tinnion promised the job?  Because he's Lansdown's mate and the board's yes-man.  No other club in the division would have given Tinnion the job.

As I've already said, he wasn't promised the job and I'm still confused as to what being a yes man involves.

Maybe no other club in the division would have offerd Tinnion a job, but then that could be said of a number of managers (Chris Coleman, for example) and their loss could be our gain.

RedUn,

I think you'll find that message was posted on the 1st of June not long after the pitiful performance at Cardiff. DW's time had come and it was time for him to go. I don't think I was continually slagging him off at all. Next time you spend all morning trawling through the old postings, as well as looking at what was written, look at when it was written as well. Shame to see you're content that Bristol City are languishing in the bottom half of the old 3rd Division and then to 'slag-off' those that complain about it.

Edson,

a) gates are falling - present tense and they will continue to do so. The bean-counters have to give managers they have appointed the cash to finance signings otherwise why did they appoint them?

b) the point about Clough, Shankly and Paisley wasn't about how long it took them to become successful but that the possession of FA badges these days does not increase the likelihood of success yet it was one of the reasons cited for giving BT the job.

As for signings, we had Lita, Roberts, Gillespie and Miller. I feel desperately sorry for Gillespie and Miller who just haven't been given a chance yet anyone who scores against City or does well (Henderson and Brooker) are courted by the management. Heffernan was signed (to replace Peacock?!) played a few games, didn't score as many as predicted so the management go and buy Brooker. There's confidence in a forward line and there's yet another striker on trial now!

The discipline is a cause for concern and yes Carey was a daydreamer at times but to sell one quarter of the most successful defence from last season does seem rather bizarre. As for the rest of the team and the 'quality' they possess, if they were putting in 100% performances then I'm sure we'd be further up the table.

WWJD,

If Lansdown thinks that Tinnion is the right man for the job and outlines his reasons for doing so then it's my prerogative to outline my reasons for thinking he's not the right man for the job. I accept I was fairly vociferous when the announcement was first made but have kept quiet apart from when Sturrock became available. I gave Tinnion at least 10 games before I commented on the performance (as Gary Johnson did when Yeovil got off to a shocker - where are they now?) and I still don't think this appointment will work out.

My point is just as valid as those who think he is the man for the job. I hope I'm proved wrong but it isn't looking that way.

Edson,

a) gates are falling - present tense and they will continue to do so.  The bean-counters have to give managers they have appointed the cash to finance signings otherwise why did they appoint them?

Because he's a 'yes man', who, when the board say "You do realise we're bean-counters and you can't bring any more players in for fees, don't you?", will reply "Yes."?

b) the point about Clough, Shankly and Paisley wasn't about how long it took them to become successful but that the possession of FA badges these days does not increase the likelihood of success yet it was one of the reasons cited for giving BT the job.

Yes, sorry. I did realise the point you were making, but I was just using the names you gave as examples of managers who turned out to be brilliant, despite not managing promotion with any team they inherited until their second season in charge.

As for Tinnion's possession of coaching badges being cited as a reason for giving him the job (which was the point you were making), it is a prerequisite for any manager these days, so, naturally, it's a reason. Southampton's manager, Steve Wigley, doesn't have the necessary badges and may be out of a job in three month's time. That lack of required qualification could be cited by Southampton fans as a reason for not giving him the job in the first place, could it not?

As for signings, we had Lita, Roberts, Gillespie and Miller.  I feel desperately sorry for Gillespie and Miller who just haven't been given a chance yet anyone who scores against City or does well (Henderson and Brooker) are courted by the management.  Heffernan was signed (to replace Peacock?!) played a few games, didn't score as many as predicted so the management go and buy Brooker.  There's confidence in a forward line and there's yet another striker on trial now!

I take your point, but I still maintain that last season we lacked goals. Added to that, we lost Peacock (who contributed 15 or 16), so it was felt that needed addressing. Gillespie and Lita are young and were largely untried, so to expect them to score the goals required would have been seen as foolish, had it proved not to be the case, I feel. Miller does deserve a chance, I agree, but I feel Heffernan was seen as a player who'd done the business at this level and we lacked that in the squad.

I honestly didn't think Lita would score the goals he has, so I'm clearly not the best judge, but I do feel that Heffernan and Brooker will be the first choice partnership by Christmas (don't hold me to that though).

The striker on trial is 16, so probably isn't causing the current first team forwards too many sleepless night just yet.

The discipline is a cause for concern and yes Carey was a daydreamer at times but to sell one quarter of the most successful defence from last season does seem rather bizarre.  As for the rest of the team and the 'quality' they possess, if they were putting in 100% performances then I'm sure we'd be further up the table.

Carey got an offer from a Champioship side. Could we really hope to hold onto him after that, when we clearly couldn't match Coventry's offer.

The '100%' point is probably true. However, if you are saying Tinnion has inherited a group of players who perenially under-perform, should he not be given time to sort it out?

Can anyone tell me the last team who sacked their manager after ten games or before and then got promoted?

A lot of people comment on the stability brought to the club by Wilson (ignoring the 90 minutes of boredom every week, of course) and if he hadn't refused to accept the cost cutting measures being introduced such as bombing out the psychologist (I was heartbroken, honestly) he would still be in charge of the club (the club which got LESS than 10,000 for the Tranmere home game last season by the way).

So if stability is what you want, then why sack a manager after ten games? Given that we are only five points off the play-offs despite starting very poorly this season, we have a goalscorer who couldn't get a game last season, a target man who 90% of supporters seem to think is needed and there are still 35 games to go, why sack Tinnion at the moment? If the guy is "learning" his trade then surely he will improve with time. It was only six weeks ago that the team was being changed every week. Those mistakes are not being repeated.

So what I am basically saying to the knockers is stop bellyaching for the moment and give the guy a bit more time.

Can anyone tell me the last team who sacked their manager after ten games or before and then got promoted?

Dowie at Palace?

Not sure exactly where they were or how many games they'd played. But I seem to recall they were 21st when Dowie took over in December and he got them into the play-offs and promoted.

RedUn,

Next time you spend all morning trawling through the old postings, as well as looking at what was written, look at when it was written as well. 

Yeah right, like checking anybody's old messages is a real slow process on this forum.

As for the date - it was just a week after you first signed-up thus proving the point I was making! (and, quite coincidentally, just after the last time Mr Maguire saw City play)

Shame to see you're content that Bristol City are languishing in the bottom half of the old 3rd Division

Your words not mine, but then that's what wind-up merchants do.

"

As for the date - it was just a week after you first signed-up thus proving the point I was making! (and, quite coincidentally, just after the last time Mr Maguire saw City play)

Your words not mine, but then that's what wind-up merchants do."

So, this bloke Magilla is a wind-up merchant simply because he expresses an opinion which others disagree with? I thought we were all entitled to express our thoughts on this forum without fear of being insulted. Maybe I was wrong. Also, I strongly suspect that Magilla is not connected to Mr Maguire but, if he is, then show us yer money (or yer wealthy mates) Jon!

And no, I'm not Magilla either. My multiple personality problem is all in the past.

So, this bloke Magilla is a wind-up merchant simply because he expresses an opinion which others disagree with? I thought we were all entitled to express our thoughts on this forum without fear of being insulted. Maybe I was wrong.

No Andy he's a wind-up merchant because of the insults he has made - I believe the offending post has been removed.

No Andy he's a wind-up merchant because of the insults he has made - I believe the offending post has been removed.

Unfortunately AndyJones2004, people who articulate a point of view or an opinion that runs counter to the fervently held beliefs of some members of this forum tend to be accused of being wind-up merchants. Someone obviously feels that I am a wind-up merchant as I haven't been a member of this forum as long as he has. Also one of my first postings was written immediately after the play-off final disaster. I wonder how many other people joined the forum in the week after Cardiff to express an opinion?

It's pretty pathetic that someone has to check the date you joined the forum to use as flimsy evidence that you're a wind-up merchant. The phrase 'clutching at straws' springs to mind. The only one being wound-up by my comments is another forum member himself as evidenced by his accusation that I could be Maguire himself and that I speak the language of the wind-up merchant.

So in future, when corresponding with more senior members of the forum, your comments are only valid if you've been a member of the forum since October 2003, you've held a season ticket for 30 years and you were born within the sound of the East-End roar (oh, and you've got a tattoo of Tinnion on your arm.)

By the way, what offending, insulting post?

Dowie at Palace?

Not sure exactly where they were or how many games they'd played. But I seem to recall they were 21st when Dowie took over in December and he got them into the play-offs and promoted.

You are correct. And this is one of the reasons why we have been languishing in this Division for so long. When the likes of Dowie and Peter Taylor were available a few years ago we should have went out and got them? We more or less ignored Taylor to get Pulis. What a pearl of wisdom that was.

But the above is not Tinnion's fault and he needs to be given more time in my opinion.

Just out of interest and as you are on the thread at the moment Magilla, do you advocate sacking Tinnion at the moment?

You are correct. And this is one of the reasons why we have been languishing in this Division for so long. When the likes of Dowie and Peter Taylor were available a few years ago we should have went out and got them? We more or less ignored Taylor to get Pulis. What a pearl of wisdom that was.

But the above is not Tinnion's fault and he needs to be given more time in my opinion.

Just out of interest and as you are on the thread at the moment Magilla, do you advocate sacking Tinnion at the moment?

The one time I thought Tinnion could have been relieved of the managerial post was when Sturrock lost his job at Southampton but that's not going to happen now what with Sturrock having become Wednesday's new manager.

It's very difficult to say. I didn't agree with his appointment in the first place for reasons I've stated before (and been lambasted for) and feel that we are reaping the harvest of that decision. Just because I've criticised the management doesn't mean I want them to fail - I just feel that they won't get us out of this division.

However, there doesn't seem to be any real alternative at the moment unless we actively canvass a manager who is already in a job. This would be expensive due to compensation and ultimately unaffordable for the club.

If City don't go up this year then the management won't have done what SL expected of them. If finishing 3rd two years running wasn't acceptable why should missing out on promotion again be acceptable too?

If we are in serious relegation trouble then BT's position should be seriously considered but I feel a mid-table position throughout the season will always leave us two or three wins away from the play-offs (which we will be reminded of constantly).

So unless the City board think our current position will not improve quickly enough and get a 'big-name' experienced manager or fall into serious relegation trouble then BT should stay in charge until the end of the season.

I was thinking along similar lines a few weeks ago in terms of where we would finish in the league. After the mauling at Bradford I said we would finish somewhere between 8th and 14th.

However, looking at how poorly we've played so far compared to what were capable of, and the fact that we are only five points off the play-offs with Brentford (no disrespect, but they didn't pull up any trees at the Gate) in second place, there is no reason why we shouldn't get into the play-offs at least.

I agree that Tinnion has made plenty of mistakes but I would say they are becoming fewer and further between. My main concern is Millen's contribution.

Don't underestimate how poor our league really is. There is still plenty of time for us to put a decent run together. And let's be fair, we only need a decent run of results from now to the end of the season to get in the play-offs. A good run will see us automatically up, that is how poor this poxy Division is this season.

Guest Lennie Godber
I have no problem with Louis moving and getting more money at a club in a higher division. Good luck to him.

However, I do have a problem with him slagging off Bristol City because they wouldn't pay his agent (who tried to unsettle other players at the club) a hefty sum. And I do have a problem with him telling lies to the media - a lie which is still being bandied about as fact by a poster on this very thread.

For that, he deserves criticism.

Tried to unsettle others???

Tsk tsk tsk.Sources sources sources!!??

Guest Lennie Godber
Ummm... Brian Tinnion said as much in an interview on BCFC World.

Damn, gave away my source.

Well if Brian said so....Might have said it to look a little less silly. Carey was a senior professional (and more consistent than Tinnion,) at City, maybe some younger players might have listened or looked up to him as a player. Can't have that, Tinnions the Sheriff here. Carey would have been out regardless of how long was left on his contract. It was the first act of circling the wagons, Millen was act two.

My sources openly tell me that BT was influential in brokering contracts for Carey and other youngsters many years ago, thus making him a darling in the

boardroom, and, leaving the young 'uns a few thousand out of pocket. Brown didn't hang about did he? Burnell? Just too much resentment on past dealings I'm afraid.

PS. I won't reveal my sources, thats for amateur journo's.

So what happened during the 3 hour interview that Lansdown gave him on the day of his appointment then?

To be a fly on the wall, eh!!!!

Wise up !!!! Less than 24 hours after Wilson's sacked on the mobile, Tinnion's installed as manager. Was the job advertised, anyone canvassed or more to the point was anyone else in the Chairmans plans?????

Of course not, carve up at the "O.K. Ashton Gate"

I say it was all too cosy. Anyone else care to differ ????

=MAGILLA,Oct 4 2004, 6:53 PM]

One of the reasons given for Tinnion's appointment (besides "ee's a legend" and "ee's full of passion") were that he had taken the time to attain FA qualified coach status.  Unfortunately, it's not giving the club the right results at the moment and I don't see it improving.

Now where have I seen that before? ... ah, yes ...

Lenny Godber (joined 31-May-04)

Posted on: Aug 23 2004, 2:56 PM

Does anyone, like me, fear that Paul Sturrock will be the first in a long line of suitable managers to slip by whilst Lansdown and his fellow bean counters dig their heels in over the gut churning Tinnion appointment? Yes, yes, I know, 'Tins has got his coaching Badges' 'Give 'E a chance' or 'He's a Legend!!'

Did you mention Paul Sturrock, Mr Godber? ... ah, yes ...

MAGILLA (joined 23-May04)

Posted on: Oct 5 2004, 7:35pm

The one time I thought Tinnion could have been relieved of the managerial post was when Sturrock lost his job at Southampton but that's not going to happen now what with Sturrock having become Wednesday's new manager.

It's very difficult to say. I didn't agree with his appointment in the first place for reasons I've stated before (and been lambasted for) and feel that we are reaping the harvest of that decision.

So there we have it two anonymous aliases both joining in the same week and soon puckering up to each other ...

Lenny Godber

Posted on: Jun 7 2004, 7:59 PM

Well said England & MAGILLA

... and both with an apparent long-standing personal grudge against Brian Tinnion.

Now who do we know with previous for posting under a multiplicity of aliases ... ?

Guest Dorito
... and both with an apparent long-standing personal grudge against Brian Tinnion.

Now who do we know with previous for posting under a multiplicity of aliases ... ?

Don't know. Please tell me! This is like Dynasty........

Schizophrenic posters and personal grudges aside this is the best thread for ages. So much more interesting than the usual city love in!

My take - I was gutted when we lost Carey, Brown and Peacock and really think that we should of done more to try and keep them. I admit I'm not privy to the salary package details and, for Brown in particular, keeping these players was probably not possible. However, to get rid of some of your best players and then appoint a rookie manager, via a total stitch up, was a big gamble football wise. (but the easy option from a financial viewpoint). TBH I did not expect auto promotion this year and it's not going to happen. I'm still hopefull of the playoffs though, mainly due to the total lack of anything resembling quality in the divsion this year.

Now where have I seen that before? ... ah, yes ...

Lenny Godber (joined 31-May-04)

Posted on: Aug 23 2004, 2:56 PM

Does anyone, like me, fear that Paul Sturrock will be the first in a long line of suitable managers to slip by whilst Lansdown and his fellow bean counters dig their heels in over the gut churning Tinnion appointment? Yes, yes, I know, 'Tins has got his coaching Badges' 'Give 'E a chance' or 'He's a Legend!!'

Did you mention Paul Sturrock, Mr Godber? ... ah, yes ...

MAGILLA (joined 23-May04)

Posted on: Oct 5 2004, 7:35pm

It's very difficult to say. I didn't agree with his appointment in the first place for reasons I've stated before (and been lambasted for) and feel that we are reaping the harvest of that decision.

So there we have it two anonymous aliases both joining in the same week and soon puckering up to each other ...

Lenny Godber

Posted on: Jun 7 2004, 7:59 PM

Well said England & MAGILLA

Shock! Horror! It can't be true! No!

Two members share the same point of view and that point of view is not shared by '(Bo)RedUn'!!

I know it's hard to take in but yes, there are people on here who don't share your point of view. Now don't start blubbing - just come to terms with it and I'm sure you'll be alright.

I know you think that if they disagree with you they must be wrong but you have learnt one of the great lessons of life - 'There are two sides to every coin'.

Thanks for so rapidly extinguishing any lingering doubts about your credibility - it's now totally evaporated. To again, pathetically search the archives for information to support your baseless assertions has taken me to a new level of wonderment and disbelief.

So I say again, if one of you young forum members out there is prepared to proffer an opinion counter to the 'Senior Ones', make sure you have been a member for a long time and that someone else with same said opinion as yourself did not join within one calendar month of you joining. Do not use the same phraseology as each other for the 'Forum Elders' will summon you to the 'Archivist'. For your archive will be searched and scanned(very painful) and displayed for all to see on this forum as penance for troubling 'The Precious Ones'.

Archived