IGNORED

Players salaries

Maesknoll Red

• Admin
I doubt if the players are noticing too much difference in their wages. They may have missed a few win bonuses, but I'd be quite happy with their 'basic' thank you! sad.gif

Does anyone have any accurate figures on players basic salary now, Dennis Smith was on the radio a couple of months back and he quoted, lowest £300 - highest £800 PW for the Wrexham squad. I'm sure there are plenty of members of this forum who earn salaries within that range, with a lot more job security.

Surely those days of 3rd division players being on 2K PW are long gone.

Does anyone have any accurate figures on players basic salary now, Dennis Smith was on the radio a couple of months back and he quoted, lowest £300 - highest £800 PW for the Wrexham squad. I'm sure there are plenty of members of this forum who earn salaries within that range, with a lot more job security.

Surely those days of 3rd division players being on 2K PW are long gone.

That really surprises me.

I think one way to look at this is that as a percentage of total turnover of the clubs. I think I remember Steve Lansdown saying that we spend 60% of our turnover on players wages. So if our turnover is 3 million in a year we spend 1.6 million on wages. Deloite do a annual publication on football finance which is summarised here

Deloitte

It also highlights why clubs such as Leeds and Sunderland are so finanacially crippled with 80% of their turnover being spent on wages

I was also talking to an ex physio of Bristol City who told me that football players could start drawing their pension at the age of 35??!!

I remember not so long back there was some political item going on about making players wages public. This was scrapped as it was invading their human rights.

But yes I agree, players wage demands are more controlled by the club more so than the player and agent.

MM

Last season a drunken ex-City striker (who shall remain nameless) boasted boasted to me & my mates in a Clifton bar that we was on £3500.00 per week.

Could easily have been telling porkies though  dunno.gif

What...and you didn't know you were on £3500.00 per week??? laugh.gif

MM

• Admin
I know a player on the current playing staff is on £3000 per week. Would like to reveal the source but will probably be banned.  dunno.gif

If this is true, it really is surprising, £3000 PW = £152,000 PA, if all eleven first team regulars were to be paid this, the wage bill for these alone = 1,716,000. if 4,500 adult season tickets are sold @ £325 = 1,462,500.

Whilst these figures are plucked from the air, they do give some idea of the income / expenditure figures and I remain unconvinced that player salaries can still be reaching the previous heights.

I'm sure the high wage earners are Bell and Murray with Coles being just behind them.

Thought Wilkshire was the highest earner as we had to tempt him away from the Premiership somehow. And, in another of those great decisions which City are famous for, didn't we make Dinning our joint highest earner when we signed him? I suspect Miller must be on a decent wage as well, bearing in mind the utterly ridiculous fee we paid for him. Brooker, Heff, Doc and Carey must be earning reasonable money as well.

Thought Wilkshire was the highest earner as we had to tempt him away from the Premiership somehow. And, in another of those great decisions which City are famous for, didn't we make Dinning our joint highest earner when we signed him? I suspect Miller must be on a decent wage as well, bearing in mind the utterly ridiculous fee we paid for him. Brooker, Heff, Doc and Carey must be earning reasonable money as well.

Forgot Wilkshire doh.gif and Mr Dinning haven't heard his name in ages..... whistling.gif

The manager and players have performed miserably this season - have they suffered financially?

I answered a question similar to this from Bristol Boy and in a way I think they have. With more of their income coming from bonuses and performance related pay they should be getting paid for how they perform.

I imagine that most of us believe that some of the players should be paying the club this season.

• Admin
I don't KNOW any player wages. But I think you'd probably find that they vary an awful lot. Would not surprise me if some players are still on a good £3,500+ per week, but am also sure that many will be on no more than £800ish

Given the displays this season, I would find £3.5k PW an obscene amount to be paid for 3rd division football, especially given the amount of criticism of fitness levels and the many tales of drunken antics.

Surely in the current climate, the packages offered should offer big bonus payments for promotion (and consistent individual performances), thus ensuring no reward for failure.

Guest Harry May

I know for a fact that an Oxford United striker ( not Mooney ) is on £200 a week plus goal and appearance money. He is an ex-premiership trainee.

Caldicot Red.

Tony Thorpe was on £3000 per week just a few season ago.

No idea what the players are now but with Landsdown in charge most will be on alot less than that.

Yes, but he was top scorer for 3 out of 4 seasons,almost single handledly stopped the Pulis decline,and paved the way for a millenium cup final.

I suspect Miller must be on a decent wage as well, bearing in mind the utterly ridiculous fee we paid for him.

Interestingly, I would like to know what you are gauging as being a decent wage? Give me a ball park figure, because I know how much roughly Lee is on at Bristol City, and I know people who can make roughly the same wage as he can.

Also just like to make the point, just incase people maybe think/thought Lee was greedy or was on megabucks, when Lee had the chance to go to Wigan, Paul Jewell offered to double any wage he was getting at City, to make him a Wigan player, and of course we all know he said no because money wasnt the issue.

As for the earlier comment about an ex-player blabbing about his wages, I was also lead to believe he was earning in the region of £3k a week. This came from a group of lads we had the pleasure of sharing a drink with Bristol when we were down, and they said they knew the ex-player very well. Safe to say Lee wasnt in that wage bracket.

Guest Tactical Genius

Have we not got any forum members who work in a bank?

Any privileged info that lands in my PM inbox will be treated as confidential. Especially if it's as good as the Richard Gough story that I know.

Have we not got any forum members who work in a bank?

Any privileged info that lands in my PM inbox will be treated as confidential. Especially if it's as good as the Richard Gough story that I know.

As if we could reveal information on players wages TG shame on you! doh.gif

Archived