IGNORED

A Superb Read.... Re: Brian Tinnion

cheshire_red

Spot on - especially the second post.

My view is that we as fans should support manager regardless of of whether we rate him or not - after all the job is hard enough without the fans making it even harder.

Managers,players and Chairman come and go but the loyal fans remain and we have been in this position before.It will pass eventually either with Tinnion getting the team going or a change of manager.

Spot on - especially the second post.

My view is that we as fans should support manager regardless of of whether we rate him or not - after all the job is hard enough without the fans making it even harder.

Managers,players and Chairman come and go but the loyal fans remain and we have been in this position before.It will pass eventually either with Tinnion getting the team going or a change of manager.

It will pass...!!

along with the interest of several thousand fans.

You've been such a staunch advocate of Tinnion come what may, & I feel this response attempts to hijack the arguments once again.

the Net centre posts clearly outline the exact arguments for getting rid of Tinnion.

and I support THAT as well as the team I love.

I have no intention of sitting it out and I urge others not to subscribe to what I see as a complacent attitude/argument that you dress up by referring to 'loyal fans'

*cougharsenalcough* - ( wink.gif cheap shot, sorry)

One of the best points in that thread was RobF's point about the good posts on here being lost in a swamp of teenage rubbish, dodgy avatars, and signature images that just become annoying.

Reasonable argument has also become lost as too many people need to attack or hide behind the 'if you don't support Tinion, you don't support City' line

which in my book is as thin as the wafer thin mint that Mr Creasote ate.....

BLEEEEEEAAAAAUUUUURRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Get me another bucket.

I don't normally agree with Robbo on the subject of our current manager, (although I believe we both saw some positives in the 2nd half on Saturday) but.....

I would be very surprised if the board (SL in particular) don't give Tinnion until christmas at least.

I think those of us who have been critical of his performance have said all we can say. It seems unlikely that the performances could get much worse and any points raised have been proved to just so much urinating in the wind.

Personally I can't be bothered to reiterate the same obvious shortcomings of the manager, so I will try to be as supportive as possible and hope that he may have stumbled across a workable formation on Saturday. The more likely scenario is that; that support will continue until the inevitable happens just in time for the January transfer window.

While I no longer think Tinnion is capable of taking us up, I can't see a better alternative.

The three names I've heard most often:

Rosenior - one good season in league two, poor at this level last season, only experience at a much smaller club

Allen - Pulis mk II that plays long ball thuggery

Bassett - complete moron who made diabolical decisions at leicester

I don't think any of those is more likely to get us up than Tinnion. We need a few decent managers to get the sack so we have people to choose from.

Nibor

While I no longer think Tinnion is capable of taking us up, I can't see a better alternative.

The three names I've heard most often:

Rosenior - one good season in league two, poor at this level last season, only experience at a much smaller club

Allen - Pulis mk II that plays long ball thuggery

Bassett - complete moron who made diabolical decisions at leicester

I don't think any of those is more likely to get us up than Tinnion.  We need a few decent managers to get the sack so we have people to choose from.

Nibor

Whats Martin O Neil doing these days?

What a top post the second one was, well thought out & eloquently written.

Indeed it was unsure.gif

it's also easy to criticize a Manager when he's new to the role and under pressure, but even Tinnions staunchest supporters might find themsleves nodding in agreement with many aspects of that 2nd post, i know i was.

They seem to get very well thought out posts and discussions on the net centre unlike most on otib. Yes, I have been guilty once or twice of snapping back at people but only when people CANNOT back up there reasoning, 'Give them time', how long 25 years?, 'It will get better', prove it with evidence?.

BCAGFC

Tinnion isnt new to the job though. He has had over 50 league games, and he has made a mess of it.

I agreed with the removal of Danny Wilson, because for my money he had taken this club as far as he could take it, which is the case with alot of clubs and alot of managers, but I recognise what a bloody good job he had done of stabilising a sinking ship after the Pulis era.

There is no way that SL could have weighed up whether Tinnion had the attributes to do the job and take us to the next step; because he'd never had a job like this before. A team on the rise does not go backwards to appoint. DW's team could have won us promotion with the right guidance. You only have to look at the names bandied around previously to recognise that this job is attractive to managers at this level, who actually could take us to the next level. Its been clear to me since around Christmas last year that Tinnion doesn't have the attributes, and no amount of brown-nosing or worshipping will change that. That doesn't mean my support will dwindle though. I support Bristol City FC, not Brian Tinnion.

However, in fairness to SL and the board, they did what they thought was right. David Moyes started at Preston, I believe, and Iain Dowie started his managerial career at this level, and their appointments were based on what their respective chairmen knew about their characters and their belief in them. So SL made a mistake in alot of peoples opinion, but things like this are not exactly unheard of. The board should be brave enough to admit their mistake before its too late though. I agree with the post from citynet that Tinnion's status as a player clouded SL and the board's judgement too.

As for the team, I believe they are good enough for promotion. As Tactical Genius pointed out (and I disagreed with him at the time) teams will not be scared of the thought of facing Golbourne, Cotterill et al. beause they are relatively unproven. I agree to a certain extent but feel that opposition managers will recognise that they have as much talent as any other players in the division. With the right guidance this team could get us promotion, but I believe that Brian Tinnion doesn't offer us this guidance.

So, I suppose what I am saying is that our support shouldn't dwindle, we should believe that we can get promotion, but that I'm hoping a new manager is put into place before its too late. city.gifcity.gif

They seem to get very well thought out posts and discussions on the net centre unlike most on otib. Yes, I have been guilty once or twice of snapping back at people but only when people CANNOT back up there reasoning, 'Give them time', how long 25 years?, 'It will get better', prove it with evidence?.

BCAGFC

To be fair you can't prove something will happen in the future unless you're Mystic Meg. Even then I'd have my doubts as this week 'destiny introduces a famous chef' for me. It's now Wednesday and Gordon Ramsay hasn't knocked on my door so I'm starting to think she may have made it up.

If I could prove the future I'd be making a lot of bookmakers poor. razz.gif

To be fair you can't prove something will happen in the future unless you're Mystic Meg. Even then I'd have my doubts as this week 'destiny introduces a famous chef' for me. It's now Wednesday and Gordon Ramsay hasn't knocked on my door so I'm starting to think she may have made it up.

If I could prove the future I'd be making a lot of bookmakers poor.  razz.gif

You are right there Frank, nobody can predict the future you can only use the evidence that is available at the time and that is why I cannot understand the people on here who say BT WILL be a success, there has been nothing in the 60 plus games to substantiate their statements, it is just wishful thinking.

BCAGFC

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Tins' renowned footballing brain was the reason that he was the favourite to take the Bristol City managers job in 1999 before Danny Wilson came into the frame. Tins gained his UEFA badges extremely quickly, and has been coaching the younger players at the club since the Joe Jordan days.

Danny Wilson and Frank Barlow was a good combination, Barlow became Wilson's manager at Chesterfield and took Wilson on loan to S****horpe which saved Wilson's career. Brian Tinnion and Tony Fawthrop is a good combination, Fawthrop was scouting for Leeds United and spotted Tinnion in 1987, a few years later he recommended Tinnion to Terry Yorath who signed him for Bradford (a year after his arrival and Tinnion had scored a last-minute penalty in a heated derby at Elland Road). Tony Fawthrop mentioned Tinnion to Russel Osman and we got him on a tribunal (a year after his arrival and Tinnion had scored a last-minute penalty against Rovers and the famous winner at Anfield).

Tinman was ofcourse a very special player for us, showing passion for this football club beyond that of others, and combine that with his renowned footballing brain and coaching ability and he was always a candidate to become the player-manager since way back in the 90's.

Danny Wilson was a much more random choice as player-manage when he was appointed at Barnsley, atleast Tinman has been here for 13 years and has had all his coaching badges for bloody ages. And Danny Wilson didn't do too badly at Barnsley did he, they were patient and gave him a few years and he ended up getting them into the Premiership(!) before moving onto his former club Sheffield Wednesday, perhaps one day Tins will be manager of Newcastle United (although he has said that he expects to still be manager of Bristol City in 10 years time, let's hope he's right).

Look at Tins' good friend from his Bradford days, Paul Jewell. Jewell's appointment as Bradford City manager was much more random than Tins' appointment as our player-manager, we've always known that Tins would one day be manager of this football club.

Guest comicdog
Look at Tins' good friend from his Bradford days, Paul Jewell. Jewell's appointment as Bradford City manager was much more random than Tins' appointment as our player-manager, we've always known that Tins would one day be manager of this football club.

i don't care what any of you say about tinnion should be given a chance blaa blaa, at the end of the day danny ilson was sacked because he couldnt get us further than the play-offs well look where we are now, if we carry on like we are at present we wont even get near that kind of position, i mean I'm all up for giving tinnion some time, but he has got to get the results...

i don't care what any of you say about tinnion should be given a chance blaa blaa, at the end of the day danny ilson was sacked because he couldnt get us further than the play-offs well look where we are now, if we carry on like we are at present we wont even get near that kind of position, i mean I'm all up for giving tinnion some time, but he has got to get the results...

Agree with you there, except this is 50 odd games, and we aint improving. He's had time, the same mistakes are STILL being made.

That debate on Rivals is much better than this forum.........and its very relevant.

Can this club afford to waste too much time on Tinnion?

Thats the question, and in my opinion, No we cannot waste anymore time on him.

Guest redphilc
Tins' renowned footballing brain was the reason that he was the favourite to take the Bristol City managers job in 1999 before Danny Wilson came into the frame. Tins gained his UEFA badges extremely quickly, and has been coaching the younger players at the club since the Joe Jordan days.

Danny Wilson and Frank Barlow was a good combination, Barlow became Wilson's manager at Chesterfield and took Wilson on loan to S****horpe which saved Wilson's career. Brian Tinnion and Tony Fawthrop is a good combination, Fawthrop was scouting for Leeds United and spotted Tinnion in 1987, a few years later he recommended Tinnion to Terry Yorath who signed him for Bradford (a year after his arrival and Tinnion had scored a last-minute penalty in a heated derby at Elland Road). Tony Fawthrop mentioned Tinnion to Russel Osman and we got him on a tribunal (a year after his arrival and Tinnion had scored a last-minute penalty against Rovers and the famous winner at Anfield).

Tinman was ofcourse a very special player for us, showing passion for this football club beyond that of others, and combine that with his renowned footballing brain and coaching ability and he was always a candidate to become the player-manager since way back in the 90's.

Danny Wilson was a much more random choice as player-manage when he was appointed at Barnsley, atleast Tinman has been here for 13 years and has had all his coaching badges for bloody ages. And Danny Wilson didn't do too badly at Barnsley did he, they were patient and gave him a few years and he ended up getting them into the Premiership(!) before moving onto his former club Sheffield Wednesday, perhaps one day Tins will be manager of Newcastle United (although he has said that he expects to still be manager of Bristol City in 10 years time, let's hope he's right).

When all is said and done. IT ISN'T WORKING. but thanks for the history lesson.

Uh, hang on a minute.. weren't you calling for Danny Wilson to be sacked?

All of you were, every last one of you wanted Danny Wilson Out ### and now your moaning that he went which is a disgrace.

Now it's Tins' turn and your not prepared to give him any longer than six games with the team he's built? What is wrong with you people?

If you support Bristol City, you'll get behind the team no matter what. If you don't like it then don't bother turning up at Ashton Gate anymore.

because we care about the demise of our club under BT and were prepared to say so, we are suddenly not worthy of coming to the gate anymore.

Whilst Danny had his chance, he blew it at the millenium, BT hasnt got us anywhere near the mill and is unlikely to unless things drastically change.

I sure hope they do, but how much of a lead do we need to give the clubs like s****horpe, ill repeat that s****horpe, before action is taken??

All of you were, every last one of you wanted Danny Wilson Out ### and now your moaning that he went which is a disgrace.

Ummmmmmm, I didn't and feel free to show me a post where I said otherwise.

That said the choice was made and I hope Tinnion sorts it, sadly the only thing that he has impressed me with so far are his signings.

Although he does rant as well as you.

because we care about the demise of our club under BT and were prepared to say so, we are suddenly not worthy of coming to the gate anymore.

Whilst Danny had his chance, he blew it at the millenium, BT hasnt got us anywhere near the mill and is unlikely to unless things drastically change.

I sure hope they do, but how much of a lead do we need to give the clubs like s****horpe, ill repeat that s****horpe, before action is taken??

Did Danny get us to the Millenium Stadium in just six games? No, it took four years.

I would be very, very suprised if we are still in this division in four years time.

Had we kept Danny and kept all of his players, I believe we would be looking at working towards the Premiership right now. But people decided that we needed a fresh start due to so-called supporters impatience, and so last season was a transitional season. This season hasn't started as well as we'd of liked, which is all the more reason to be more positive and get behind the gaffer and the team he's building.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Hold you're god damn horses their cowboy!

I'm getting pretty sick of this argument that everyone was calling for Danny to be sacked. Its peraded out every so often when people are searching for, and are running out of reasons to try and fend people away from slating Tinnion.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but i certainly did not say Wilson should of been sacked, on the contrary he should have been given one more year!

Please, I openly invite you to go through my posts, ill give you a Blue Peter badge, a Wonka Bar (including golden ticket) and a sprinkle of pixie dust if you cant point out where it was I (which would add to the 'everyone' tag) said DW should of been sacked.

Archived