Mockneys

Guardian readers

Asylum seekers

Blairites

Bisexuals

Employees of National Express

Men who wear cardigans

You left out tank-tops and burrrrrrberry, flairs (flares?) and me :D

I am a non-smoker but I think the anti-smoking brigade should get off their high horse and remember that they are not at the theatre. I never thought in the late eighties that this kind of argument would even see the light of day. Since then people have lost sight of all the priorities of the football experience. What would be better - a stadium with atmosphere and enjoyment, or a non-smoking ground. Well, people seem to spend more time campaigning for the latter, and ignoring the former. Don't waste the chairman's time with petty squabbling - campaign instead for an Ashton Gate designed for fans to sing and show the support that would enhance the team's chances of winning.

Fans have it too cosy already. Those who complain should try an away game, often you have to stand with no roof above your head, smoke could come from any direction but I'll tell you what - the support is brilliant.

I am a non-smoker but I think the anti-smoking brigade should get off their high horse and remember that they are not at the theatre. I never thought in the late eighties that this kind of argument would even see the light of day. Since then people have lost sight of all the priorities of the football experience. What would be better - a stadium with atmosphere and enjoyment, or a non-smoking ground. Well, people seem to spend more time campaigning for the latter, and ignoring the former. Don't waste the chairman's time with petty squabbling - campaign instead for an Ashton Gate designed for fans to sing and show the support that would enhance the team's chances of winning.

Fans have it too cosy already. Those who complain should try an away game, often you have to stand with no roof above your head, smoke could come from any direction but I'll tell you what - the support is brilliant.

:chant6ez: fair play to the man a City Supporter not a whinger

Is this serious?

Why should non-smoking City supporters have to watch the match smelling your disgusting death sticks?

I come back from Ashton Gate each week stinking of other peoples cigarette smoke, why is this fair?

Your response: "Move to the non-smoking sections" - where the view is awful.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years, you are suggesting that if a dirty smoker suddenly decides to sit infront of me (as has happened) I should be the one to move?

Then you resort to calling non-smokers "Nazis" just because we care. Grow up! It is not our fault you have a life threatening addiction and you are jealous of those of us who don't smoke.

Would it really hurt to wait 45 minutes? It might even save you some money!

City 'til I die :city:

Nick B

How is the view "awful" its in exactly the same spot I sit in the Atyeo but the other side of the goal ?

:dunno:

And BTW I'm a season ticket holder and have been going to the Gate since the 70's why should I have to move because the health police have recently decided to start on traditional football fans ?

Because the majority of us are non-smokers.

The majority of us are adult and male - so by your argument ban women and children ?

This is just typical of the blairite "If you don't like it ban" it mentality that is ruining society and sanitising football

next it'll be ASBOs for anyone singing, you mark my words. Quite how a car dealer can complain about air pollution and health is beyond me anyway, car fumes cause asthma and cars kill god knows how many people a year.

Even if its unproven to be harmful, its still unpleasant, I like beer & cider, but the waste from that isn't deposited all over those sat around me.

Schutzhund, i don't drink before games (anymore) but i find the smell, belches etc of any beer drinkers i sit next to at the Gate very unpleasant.

I have no doubt at all that should the anti-smokers succeed in their seemingly fanatical quest to rid AG of smoke they will, by their very nature, move on to moan about something else.

This particular crusade may not affect you, but beware the next one, it just might.

Sure did thanks!

Well i just hope you haven't become an even Bigger Red Rich since then, because that could be very unhealthy too.

The majority of us are adult and male - so by your argument ban women and children ?

This is just typical of the blairite "If you don't like it ban" it mentality that is ruining society and sanitising football

next it'll be ASBOs for anyone singing, you mark my words. Quite how a car dealer can complain about air pollution and health is beyond me anyway, car fumes cause asthma and cars kill god knows how many people a year.

:chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez: if these do gooders do manage to get this through will probably be the end of football for me :(:disapointed2se:

Its a disgusting habit. I had the unfortunate "experience" of sitting next to a bloke last Saturday who lit up a fag and as I was sitting down wind of him it meant that raw smoke and his exhaled smoke blew right across me and into my face. Yuk! I ended up moving seats

If people want to poison themselvs with cigarettes then thats ok with me as long as they don't it near me.

There should be a designated smoking area at AG where all the smokers can congregate - end of.

This is not a policitally correct arguement from me - its about having respect for others.Lighting up in the company of non-smokers is about as acceptable as urinating in public.

Surely the obvious solution is for the club to create at least one non-smoking section in the upper tier of the Dolman (and poss the Williams as well) - ie somewhere with a decent view.

It would probably have to be block A or G to start with. It will either prove unpopular (but at least they've tested the market), or else it will be a success and the non-smoking area will gradually expand over time.

Even as a non-smoker who hates coming away from matches, pubs etc smelling of smoke, I think this would be better than suddenly turning AG into a non-smoking stadium.

Its a disgusting habit. I had the unfortunate "experience" of sitting next to a bloke last Saturday who lit up a fag and as I was sitting down wind of him it meant that raw smoke and his exhaled smoke blew right across me and into my face. Yuk! I ended up moving seats

If people want to poison themselvs with cigarettes then thats ok with me as long as they don't it near me.

There should be a designated smoking area at AG where all the smokers can congregate - end of.

This is not a policitally correct arguement from me - its about having respect for others.Lighting up in the company of non-smokers is about as acceptable as urinating in public.

Do you drive Robbored?

The biggest threat to your lungs, and mine, is the internal combustion engine. I have to walk to work along Bath Road every morning breathing in other peoples crap who couldn't give a monkey's. Most of the cars are selfishly occupied by a single driver. So going by your theory cars should immediatly be banned, and planes, and industrial processes that emit carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

So please, next time you go for an unnecessay car journey, have some respect for others, and don't bother.

But my friend IT IS about being politically correct, people have been smoking at AG since the ground was first opened, people like yourself see this as an opportunity to jump on the anti smoking bandwagon, I do smoke occasionally yes, and even I can understand the want or need for some places to be non smoking (ie restaurants etc) where people are eating a meal, but in an open air football ground??? as the last person who replied to your comments stated, before you preach to others about damaging your health, think about that every time you get in a car or on public transport, those two things cause a lot more damage to the enviroment than smoking a cigarette.

But my friend IT IS about being politically correct, people have been smoking at AG since the ground was first opened, people like yourself see this as an opportunity to jump on the anti smoking bandwagon, I do smoke occasionally yes, and even I can understand the want or need for some places to be non smoking (ie restaurants etc) where people are eating a meal, but in an open air football ground??? as the last person who replied to your comments stated, before you preach to others about damaging your health, think about that every time you get in a car or on public transport, those two things cause a lot more damage to the enviroment than smoking a cigarette.

Actually, to me, it has nothing to do with political correctness. Or health arguments for that matter. I just don't like people smoking around me. I don't like the smell, and I don't like the litter it creates. People have different opinions, and that is mine. For what its worth I would prefer it to be banned at the ground, and if people disagree, quite frankly I don't give a toss: you are as entitled to your view as I am to mine.

Do you drive Robbored?

The biggest threat to your lungs, and mine, is the internal combustion engine. I have to walk to work along Bath Road every morning breathing in other peoples crap who couldn't give a monkey's. Most of the cars are selfishly occupied by a single driver. So going by your theory cars should immediatly be banned, and planes, and industrial processes that emit carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

So please, next time you go for an unnecessay car journey, have some respect for others, and don't bother.

Thats a desperately thin arguement - from a smoker no doubt.

Cars,lorries,bus'es are essential. I rely completely on my car to my job as do many others.

Smoking is optional and at the same time costs the NHS more than anything esle - including alcohol.

I'm not against smoking at all, freedom of choice and all that.Just don't do it near me.....

I post this every 2 weeks when this subject comes up but nevertheless...

Next season, before tickets go on sale, why not just make some blocks smoking and some non smoking in each stand? Spread them out a bit so both smokers and non smokers get decent options of where to sit.

It's not exactly rocket science now is it?

Nibor

WELL SIT IN THE NO SMOKING SECTION THEN - THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR !!!

I would like to sit where I please without someone giving me cancer. Is that unreasonable? If so, well then there you go, my argument's in tatters. :D

Why should non-smokers have priority

Because non-smokers aren't killing people slowly with their bad habit.

bet your one of those t---s who sit there whining at everything i don't smoke but eating those pies does your guts in! Steve L has gone a long way to ruin the atmosphere ( singing) do you sing or just mime?

Who says I eat pies? In fact, I don't. When you can find evidence that eating pies from Ashton Gate has the same side effects as passive smoking, that'll be a valid argument.

I also don't see what smoking's got to do with the atmosphere. I'll be singing with my nice clean non-cancer ridden larynx, thankyou very much. :D

Petition to ban cars next then is it dunno.gif cause pressummably you don't want to breathe there fumes either banghead.gif

Cigarettes don't have wheels and get you from Weston-super-Mare to Bristol though do they? They're there to make your day a bit more bearable, and I'll think you'll find that stopping smoking won't affect your timekeeping for getting to work punctually either!

I ask you this...... do you go on holiday and fly by jet?

I do, until I grow wings when I'm fully matured.

Planes are a necessity. Smoking isn't. Sailing isn't an alternative because of timekeeping, and you only get so much holiday from work. It's a ridiculous argument anyway, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm disproving it.

You also obviously care a lot more about global warming than dying from lung cancer too. ;)

People smoke because they choose to..

Absolutely. That's why it's considered selfish when they make everybody else share it.

..I packed it in 5 years ago my choice. I don't sit there preaching, its not like the bloke is smoking every minute!

Good for you on packing it in, and I seriously mean that. He doesn't smoke every minute, but if he has 5 cigarettes every game every season for 5 seasons, it soon mounts up to a lot of tar in someone else's lungs when they haven't asked for it.

We all have our poison don't we?

We all do indeed! It's just that I don't force my poison on people sitting around me. ;)

And of course that makes you much more of a man than anybody else on this forum, the ability to stand in the rain breathing in other peoples' smoke. It's not my position to stand up for non-smokers, nor beat down smokers in particular, just to point out the massive gaping flaws in current posters' arguments.

Personally I think it makes you more of a man if you can stand up for yourself and your own well being and tell someone to stop damaging your health.

I'm not sure why I felt compelled to post all of that, as most of you will just think "######" and not read half of it, even though I've only disproved the above arguments with pretty standard logic.

It just suprises me that people are using paper-thin arguments like "Do you drive?" :doh:

Also, don't take any of the above personally, as I don't know *any* of you, and I don't mean any of it to sound as a personal attack.

Cheers,

Karl. :)

And of course that makes you much more of a man than anybody else on this forum, the ability to stand in the rain breathing in other peoples' smoke. It's not my position to stand up for non-smokers, nor beat down smokers in particular, just to point out the massive gaping flaws in current posters' arguments.

It makes be a football supporter with the correct priorities and understanding of the importance of atmosphere when it comes to the football experience.

What makes me more of a man than some people on the forum is that although I don't smoke, I don't have a snobbish 'us-and-them' attitude about it. I'm tolerant and realistic about the perceived threat of inhaling the odd fume from someone elses ciggie.

Your response to what I wrote was rediculous at best my friend.

It makes be a football supporter with the correct priorities and understanding of the importance of atmosphere when it comes to the football experience.

What makes me more of a man than some people on the forum is that although I don't smoke, I don't have a snobbish 'us-and-them' attitude about it. I'm tolerant and realistic about the perceived threat of inhaling the odd fume from someone elses ciggie.

Your response to what I wrote was rediculous at best my friend.

:grr: any of you ever look towards the directors box, have a look to see how many smoke cigars or fags. if any kind of smoking ban comes in it should start from there! if they have to smoke, stuff the rest of you non smokers. :D

:grr: any of you ever look towards the directors box, have a look to see how many smoke cigars or fags. if any kind of smoking ban comes in it should start from there! if they have to smoke, stuff the rest of you non smokers. :D

I believe I was backing your argument there mate.

I would like to sit where I please without someone giving me cancer. Is that unreasonable? If so, well then there you go, my argument's in tatters. :D

Because non-smokers aren't killing people slowly with their bad habit.

Who says I eat pies? In fact, I don't. When you can find evidence that eating pies from Ashton Gate has the same side effects as passive smoking, that'll be a valid argument.

I also don't see what smoking's got to do with the atmosphere. I'll be singing with my nice clean non-cancer ridden larynx, thankyou very much. :D

Cigarettes don't have wheels and get you from Weston-super-Mare to Bristol though do they? They're there to make your day a bit more bearable, and I'll think you'll find that stopping smoking won't affect your timekeeping for getting to work punctually either!

I do, until I grow wings when I'm fully matured.

Planes are a necessity. Smoking isn't. Sailing isn't an alternative because of timekeeping, and you only get so much holiday from work. It's a ridiculous argument anyway, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm disproving it.

You also obviously care a lot more about global warming than dying from lung cancer too. ;)

Absolutely. That's why it's considered selfish when they make everybody else share it.

Good for you on packing it in, and I seriously mean that. He doesn't smoke every minute, but if he has 5 cigarettes every game every season for 5 seasons, it soon mounts up to a lot of tar in someone else's lungs when they haven't asked for it.

We all do indeed! It's just that I don't force my poison on people sitting around me. ;)

Personally I think it makes you more of a man if you can stand up for yourself and your own well being and tell someone to stop damaging your health.

I'm not sure why I felt compelled to post all of that, as most of you will just think "######" and not read half of it, even though I've only disproved the above arguments with pretty standard logic.

It just suprises me that people are using paper-thin arguments like "Do you drive?" :doh:

Also, don't take any of the above personally, as I don't know *any* of you, and I don't mean any of it to sound as a personal attack.

Cheers,

Karl. :)

No point in bothering to talk further Karl....... as you have your mind made up.......... I worry about mankind...... you worry about smoking at Ashton Gate............ enough said....... live long and prosper

"No I'm not - no-one is passive smoking my fags in an open air stadium"

Disagree, if a non smoker sits next to a smoker, invariably the smoke blows towards the non smoker - don't ask me why, its one of those unwritten laws of physics.

A smoking area, would be the best solution, whether that be a dedicated smoking area or an area for use before the game & half time.

Perhaps if we positioned the smoking area, say, somewhere around the centre of midfield, we could tempt Tommy Doherty to re-sign for us. :whistle:

Apart from that, I'm a non-smoker and enjoy going into bars & restaurants without smoke in them, but I believe strongly that bars and restaurants should be able to make their own minds up whether to ban smoking based on market forces. And I certainly don't think the club should be banning smoking. It'd have a massive effect on crowds and even though I don't smoke, I find it hard to believe that my life is shortened by the old folks next to me smoking in what is, after all, an outdoor environment. Frankly, I think it's absurd to try to ban it in the open air, and rather sinister really.

No point in bothering to talk further Karl....... as you have your mind made up.......... I worry about mankind...... you worry about smoking at Ashton Gate............ enough said....... live long and prosper

As I said in the post you quoted, I haven't "made my mind up" about anything.

It's easy to say you're more fussed over global warming than suffering a terminal illness yourself, but I don't think it's that simple.

Nice way to belittle my post by the way. ;)

Archived