IGNORED

Bas Savage

Robbored

He holds the ball up well, has a good awareness of play around him and rarely gives the ball away cheaply. He's not the most skillful or a fox in the box but he links up well with the rest of the team and Rotherham had real trouble handling him. Let's face it, he's about 10 times more effective than Bridges or Gillespie, and he gives 100% too.

Remind me, who made the perfectly-weighted lay-off to Brooker for the first goal?

• Admin

The Baz Savage Xmas comedy show - he's not a professional footballer, but he is 100% dedicated to playing the game, he doesn't give up, he is giving his all for City out on the pitch, yet sadly, he falls a long way short of meeting the standard needed.

I remember a quote from his first game " its a shame his brain isn't connected to his feet" there can't be anyone in the ground who witnessed tonight, that feels he has a long term future in professional football, but his enthusiasm and desire will take him far if he can find what he really excels at.

He holds the ball up well, has a good awareness of play around him and rarely gives the ball away cheaply. He's not the most skillful or a fox in the box but he links up well with the rest of the team and Rotherham had real trouble handling him. Let's face it, he's about 10 times more effective than Bridges or Gillespie, and he gives 100% too.

Remind me, who made the perfectly-weighted lay-off to Brooker for the first goal?

Absolutely correct. Hes not naturally gifted but makes the best of what he can do. His hold up play tonight was superb and he genuinelly scared the carp out of their defence.

Actually i think bas was a bit lucky, i don't think his first touch was what he intended as it got stuck under his feet, fair play for moving the ball on quickly but he can't control the ball well atall.

On a seperate point i think the fact the crowd were cheering every time he headed the ball sums it up. It should be given that a player of his size is going to win alot of the ball in the air and he just doesn't.

He may be awkward but he doesn't look that dangerous infront of goal. It seemed tonight there was no will to go at goal either. In the second half there were two occasions where he could have been more direct and cut across the defender to the goal instead he was forced a little wide.

He will not be the answer and GJ needs to be looking for a more out and out goal scorer who will be able to run into the box before he falls over!! OJ but i hate to say it we need another lita like striker.

And who had one of our 4 shots on target at Gillingham?

Don't even recall Brooker having one on target off the top of my head...

Will, why if you are trying to make us see how great Savage is, do you have to compare him with other players and slag them off in the process?

Cotterill and now Brooker?

Savage played well. We won. Job done.

10 points from 12 from the last 4 games. Onwards to Yeovil.

Will, why if you are trying to make us see how great Savage is, do you have to compare him with other players and slag them off in the process?

Cotterill and now Brooker?

Savage played well. We won. Job done.

10 points from 12 from the last 4 games. Onwards to Yeovil.

a) I'm not trying to show everyone how 'great' Savage is. What he does for City is there for all to see in my view - and no, it's not exceptional. But a job he does.

b) I'm not slagging off Brooker!

The Baz Savage Xmas comedy show - he's not a professional footballer, but he is 100% dedicated to playing the game, he doesn't give up, he is giving his all for City out on the pitch, yet sadly, he falls a long way short of meeting the standard needed.

I remember a quote from his first game " its a shame his brain isn't connected to his feet" there can't be anyone in the ground who witnessed tonight, that feels he has a long term future in professional football, but his enthusiasm and desire will take him far if he can find what he really excels at.

I think this just about sums him up for me.

He is a very poor player and the applause when he was substituted tonight was irony, not admiration, as were the cheers when he managed to do something right.

One thing he is NOT, is 'an intelligent footballer'. His enthusiasm gives him the few positives that he shows in a game. He plays with his feet, not with his head.

You can even see that many of our players are reluctant to give him the ball unless they have no choice.

What do we all make of him now?

Can't trap a ball, can't pass, and can't win header and yet he got a standing ovation when he was substituted.....

he did well, and I'd pick him to support the awesome Brooker ahead of any other stiker we have. I'd even give him a contract for a year.

He's the kind of footballer that most football fans don't understand, but most football managers love. He's a Peter Crouch for division 1 - or a Steve Torpey, 6 years on.

He makes stuff happen. He's big, awkward, messes things up now and again, but in the first half at least - most of the chances we made had Bas involved at some point in the build up. Plus he set up the opener.

He should win more headers, he should put himself about a bit more... but rather than concentrate on his obvious flaws (like the muppets sitting behind me. All game) - look at the space he creates for others, look at the times he held the ball up and brought others into play (more luck than judgement sometimes), and look at the headers he won and flicked into danger areas just by being tall, rather than by being good in the air.

Peter Crouch is ridiculed by football fans, but loved by Liverpool fans - who I think have a deserved reputation for understanding the game. Bas Savage will never be understood by City fans, and will always have muppets screaming and posting abuse at him. But he made more things happen in one game than Marcus Stewart manages in 10.

I think this just about sums him up for me.

He is a very poor player and the applause when he was substituted tonight was irony, not admiration, as were the cheers when he managed to do something right.

Load of ********, yes ok people will give him stick because he isn't a class act and does look and seem very clumsy, but I clapped him because he showed effort for the red shirt and IMO played well?

One thing he is NOT, is 'an intelligent footballer'. His enthusiasm gives him the few positives that he shows in a game. He plays with his feet, not with his head.

He's done more in four games than Stewarts done this season

You can even see that many of our players are reluctant to give him the ball unless they have no choice.

Oh stop talking utter ###### mate, everytime he was free a player passed it to him, he set up a goal, won plenty of flick ons and made some very handy runs, he basically causes their defence hassle non stop for 90 minutes, Brooker does the celever play, works well.

Why don't you get this into perspective, the bloke has cost the club nothing in a transfer fee, he is on small bucks, whereas you look at Stewart, he is on mega bucks.

Who do you expect to be the better bloody footballer? All you do is come on this forum and moan, moan moan, whether it was about Tinnion, Johnson and now Savage, you just want to ###### moan, and It's become pretty silly now mate.

The lad is earning ###### all compared to Stewart, and doing a better bloody job.

he did well, and I'd pick him to support the awesome Brooker ahead of any other stiker we have. I'd even give him a contract for a year.

He's the kind of footballer that most football fans don't understand, but most football managers love. He's a Peter Crouch for division 1 - or a Steve Torpey, 6 years on.

He makes stuff happen. He's big, awkward, messes things up now and again, but in the first half at least - most of the chances we made had Bas involved at some point in the build up. Plus he set up the opener.

He should win more headers, he should put himself about a bit more... but rather than concentrate on his obvious flaws (like the muppets sitting behind me. All game) - look at the space he creates for others, look at the times he held the ball up and brought others into play (more luck than judgement sometimes), and look at the headers he won and flicked into danger areas just by being tall, rather than by being good in the air.

Peter Crouch is ridiculed by football fans, but loved by Liverpool fans - who I think have a deserved reputation for understanding the game. Bas Savage will never be understood by City fans, and will always have muppets screaming and posting abuse at him. But he made more things happen in one game than Marcus Stewart manages in 10.

...but you speak as though he does this intentionally, when the reality is, he doesn't really know what he's doing he just does the best he can - which isn't good enough.

I think it's unfair to compare him with Crouch, who has fine touch, great heading ability and vision - sadly three characteristics that Savage lacks.

Isn't it a bit patronising to suggest that 'city fans will never understand Savage', as though it's a bit "emperor's new clothes" to be able to appreciate the value he brings to the team?

I think football is a far simpler game than people like to think.

Very accurate response from Swindon Hater in response to Simplered.

I'd like to ask Simplyred how he felt about Savage's performances at Vale and Gills respectively...after that, no further questions!

Hmmm still no response.

Incidentally, Crouch - 'great heading ability', it's pretty well documented that this is one of the weakest areas of his game!

You really don't have a clue!

...but you speak as though he does this intentionally, when the reality is, he doesn't really know what he's doing he just does the best he can - which isn't good enough.

I think it's unfair to compare him with Crouch, who has fine touch, great heading ability and vision - sadly three characteristics that Savage lacks.

Isn't it a bit patronising to suggest that 'city fans will never understand Savage', as though it's a bit "emperor's new clothes" to be able to appreciate the value he brings to the team?

I think football is a far simpler game than people like to think.

....if the boy plays, creates havoc, sets up a goal and contributes to another 3 points (which we seem to be doing every time he starts!), then I say lets keep the coaches away from him and let him carry 'doing the best he can without knowing what he's doing'!!! Although - in all seriousness - I think he's got more aweness than you give him credit for. Guy Madjo was making it up, this guy at least has *some* idea where his team mates are, and some idea how to get the ball to them.

And yes, Peter Crouch does have all those things - but he also cost £7m and earns £30k a week. For the bottom of league 1 and £300 a week - I think it's a fair comparison, and considering the number of good players than we've treated badly at Ashton Gate over the years (Torpey, Dyche, Paul Holland, Murray for a long time) I reckon it's also fair game patronising the average moaning city fan!

We won.. he created a goal... he created chances.. more often or not he won a free kick, throw in, or found a city shirt.. and he once again started in a winning team. To me, that's not emperor's new clothes, that's making a real impact!*

* although I admit I'm probably exaggerating his ability a tiny bit to make my point. Maybe a 6 month contract is a good compromise?!

not technically brilliant but can see why he is in the side, he is a tall pain in the arse

to defenders, they hate it, don't matter if he don't score as he wins free kicks etc.

defenders are scared of him regardless of his ability.

ok he is a striker and not scoring goals but his work off the ball is great

and annoys defenders more than stewart could do as when he came on he was knocked

straight off the ball as where with savage they could not get near him...

he can win headers!!!!!! he tracked back in defence and did what fortune can't do

and win a header in defending... the lad was everywhere and fair play to him he gives

100% effort if not in skill...

lets remind ourselfs on how we get out of this league... big players in defence and attack

that don't play pretty football, get out of this league i say?? hmmm let's just stay up

no matter how we do it..

People behind me were moaning everytime he got near the ball or not as the case may be :blink:

He even got insults for not chasing a ball - the fastest man running very fast would not have got :dunno:

For me - he is akin to Peter Crouch, awkward, nobody knows what he is going to do (both sides) but best of all - quality entertainment :) it was like being at a pantomine, excellent :dance:

Archived