IGNORED

Bas Savage

Robbored

People near me slagging him off did my head in!! for crist sake we won!! he puts in 100% which is more than MS!

Oh and how many games have we lost since he has started????????

Oh and how well is brooker playing since he has started!!!!!!

Oh yeh and when stewart played how many games did we win????

ummmmm crap int he!!!

• Admin

A late entry for most stupid quote of the year.

I hate to break the news to you but Bas Savage IS a professional football player.

So you'd be happy to have 11 players in the side of a similar ability would you?

I certainly can't fault the lad for effort and he certainly does cause some confusion amongst the opposition, everyone around me was certainly appreciative of his 100% desire to be involved, but also, I didn't hear any positive opinions on his ability.

We got talking to two lads from Rotherham in the Whitening Yard after the game, they were amused by him and like me think he will struggle against a better quality defence.

say what you want about our bas but he certainly seems to get opinions divided. at the end of the day if we only sign one player in the january window it will be a pacey striker to play with broioker who in my opinion is looking awesome at present. bas is doing a job and may stay at the club as an option from the bench but he is not the long term answer. i think GJ appreciates as do i though that sometimes people like mr savage are needed to mix it up a bit. its no coincidence that since we have taken on a bit more of a physical direct approach and met fire with fire in this god awful division rather than thinking we have a right to play our football, that our results have improved.

say what you want about our bas but he certainly seems to get opinions divided. at the end of the day if we only sign one player in the january window it will be a pacey striker to play with broioker who in my opinion is looking awesome at present. bas is doing a job and may stay at the club as an option from the bench but he is not the long term answer. i think GJ appreciates as do i though that sometimes people like mr savage are needed to mix it up a bit. its no coincidence that since we have taken on a bit more of a physical direct approach and met fire with fire in this god awful division rather than thinking we have a right to play our football, that our results have improved.

.. another important point about Bas is that he will cost us next to nothing. No transfer fee (unless I'm mistaken) and can put him on a pittance of a wage. For the price of a decent physio we can have a genuinely different option on the bench - rather than "lightweight and overpaid1", "lightweight and overpaid2" and "lightweight and overpaid3" !

Most people seem to be in agreement:

The good

- Physical presence takes the focus off Brooker

- First touch better than it first appears

- Rarely gives the ball away cheaply

- Works hard

The bad

- Rubbish in the air for a big bloke

- Goalscoring record

The ugly

- Awkward and clumsy

Ive seen him every game except Gillingham.

Never seen a player on his arse so often, Bambi is hilarious.

But I have to say, the "Good" are attributes that we need.

Bas is winning me over.

Bas Savage is limited in his ability,but in my opinion, he is quite effective at what he does.

He gives a physical presence up front with Brooker. Last night he also made some good runs and a couple of good lay offs.

What he is good at though is defending from the front when we do not have the ball . He gives 100% , which at this level, makes up for his lack of ability. If some of our other players, with more natural ability, gave this sort of effort then we would be further up the table .

We don't need 11 superstars in the side , it would not work. I think he could do a job for us at the moment, at least until Marcus loses a few stone.

What do we all make of him now?

Can't trap a ball, can't pass, and can't win header and yet he got a standing ovation when he was substituted.....

This guy is one of the worst players I have seen down the gate for a long time. People were laughing at his poorness which I think is terrible. If this was Stewart or Brooker people would be on there backs in seconds. We need to win games to stay in this division and when I go down the gate and witness fans laughing at our players because they are awfull is bizarre. I cannot belive this guy got a standing ovation for his performance tonight, and when Stewart came on, fans in the Dolman boo'ed him, and called him a gas'ead ####. And some people call themselves fans. :dunno:

He's free, will have cheap wages and does a job for the team (ooh err!)...

Why is there even a debate about him?

Personally I'd prefer to see Marcus get a run as it's more important in the long term that he finds his form and I think Savage would be more effective as a 'different' option coming off the bench but at the same time you can't really argue with 10 points from 12 can you?!

Well you lot apparently can but you get my drift!

He is a very poor player and the applause when he was substituted tonight was irony, not admiration, as were the cheers when he managed to do something right.

Please don't include me in the 'ironic applause' camp, I applauded because Bas had played well and did a good job for us. I bet Brooker enjoys the freedom it allows him. Lumox he may be but it works.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Savage played well, on the whole he did the simple things, made a goal and was something for the opposition defenders to worry about.

He's looked more of a threat than any other stiker on our books (Brooker aside obviously) and the poisonous remarks and jeers toward him, both at the game and on here, are the remarks of jelous little mugs who hate the thought that he plays football for City and they don't.

If Bas had a great first touch, scored goals for fun, used his height and pace effectively he wouldn't be playing at this level.

He has obvious flaws but what he does is provide an outlet for the ball and he seems (perhaps coincidentely) to bring out the best in the rest of the team. He brings ineffective long balls back into play by harrying defenders and chasing lost causes. He drags markers all over the place at set pieces.

the best thing about him though, is that he provides entertainment to us fans.

One point about Bas that hasn't been mentioned are his elbows.

I haven't defended against him (d'oh obviously) but I'm willing to bet his elbows are everywhere. Especially in the defender's faces!

I'd continue to pick Bas for this nuisance value. At this level we need bambi on ice.

Well as last night was my first time seeing Bas in person, I'd say his game reminds me of my own. He seems to get in the right place at the right time and see what he should do. just doesn't have the skills to pull it off.

Another positive would be he does seem to keep the other team off-balance and uncomfertable.

I could care less if he is akward, just wish he had a bit more ability to get the ball to all those guys running free for great opportunities.

He holds the ball up well, has a good awareness of play around him and rarely gives the ball away cheaply. He's not the most skillful or a fox in the box but he links up well with the rest of the team and Rotherham had real trouble handling him. Let's face it, he's about 10 times more effective than Bridges or Gillespie, and he gives 100% too.

Remind me, who made the perfectly-weighted lay-off to Brooker for the first goal?

Spot on regarding Gillespie/Bridges.

This guy is one of the worst players I have seen down the gate for a long time. People were laughing at his poorness which I think is terrible. If this was Stewart or Brooker people would be on there backs in seconds. We need to win games to stay in this division and when I go down the gate and witness fans laughing at our players because they are awfull is bizarre. I cannot belive this guy got a standing ovation for his performance tonight, and when Stewart came on, fans in the Dolman boo'ed him, and called him a gas'ead ####. And some people call themselves fans. :dunno:

Ummmm muppet! we are winning games! ever since he has started!!! People are on his back before he has even done anything!!!!!!

Ummmm muppet! we are winning games! ever since he has started!!! People are on his back before he has even done anything!!!!!!

Don't be so surprised Taunton! Only at City could we win 3-1, take 10 points from 12, climb out of the relegation zone AND STILL have a bunch of people bitching!

spot on, was loads of idiots slaging him off before he did anything last night.

And he doesn't bring anything to the team people say? Who set up the first last night? THink it might well of been bas, might not be the best player in the world but he is effective, get off his back for christ sakes will you, since he has been starting we have not lost, so he must be doing something right, the lad also gives 110%, so for god sake get behind the lad, fans did at port vale, and he put in a man of the match performance. Amazing what support can do for some players, he wearsa city shirt, he gives his all, so please get behind him!

Most people seem to be in agreement:

The good

- Physical presence takes the focus off Brooker

- First touch better than it first appears

- Rarely gives the ball away cheaply

- Works hard

The bad

- Rubbish in the air for a big bloke

- Goalscoring record

The ugly

- Awkward and clumsy

Ive seen him every game except Gillingham.

Never seen a player on his arse so often, Bambi is hilarious.

But I have to say, the "Good" are attributes that we need.

Bas is winning me over.

I mostly agree bar the first touch point. In the first half he was like a rebound board. Everything seemed to bounce off him.

Second half he was one of our best players and this is why he got a standing ovation. There were ironic claps for some of the things he did right but he worked hard and showed that he has a small amount of ability.

I think he is what we need now but don't believe that he will really improve a great deal. He seems to take an age when looking for the pass and does not attack the ball in the box. I don't think that goal poaching can really be taught.

From his second half performance last night I hope he stays in the team and carries on where he left off and I really hope he works controlling the ball and laying off a quick pass.

Muppet? Yea right. What exactly did he do last night what I missed? He done everything every City fan could do, and I wouldn't say we are winning because we have Bas in our team you muppet :rofl2br:

having not seen savage yet, and after listening to some of the stuff said about him on here, i was half expecting to see a huge clown waddle on and start running in ever decreasing circles till he fell over his own feet! thankfull i wasn't proved right!

i thought savage was a menace to rotherham last night. yes, he didn't control the odd pass, and miss placed one or two of his own deliveries, but his hard work and running opened up the defence time after time. he might not be amazing in the air (although set up at least one promising move in the second half with a nice knock down) but he caused total havoc when running at their defence. his footwork before his effort in the second half was great and to say the standing ovation when he left the field was 'ironic' is just not true, i was sitting in c block ateyo and everyone, even his doubters congratulated him on his efforts. plus i don't think i've ever seen a player who has never scored a goal marked by so many players! the space he free up for brooker and the rest is reason alone to keep him in the side! he might not be the cream of the crop, but right now he is earning his place in the side.

on the stewart issue...

of course you can't drop brooker at the moment, he is just getting back to his peak, but i'd like to think that stewart would play better along side ol' baz. my flat mate is an ipswich fan and always said marcus played best with the big man naylor along side him. a good 25-30 mins together up front vs. Yeovil if were doing ok at the end could be educational...

having not seen savage yet, and after listening to some of the stuff said about him on here, i was half expecting to see a huge clown waddle on and start running in ever decreasing circles till he fell over his own feet! thankfull i wasn't proved right!

i thought savage was a menace to rotherham last night. yes, he didn't control the odd pass, and miss placed one or two of his own deliveries, but his hard work and running opened up the defence time after time. he might not be amazing in the air (although set up at least one promising move in the second half with a nice knock down) but he caused total havoc when running at their defence. his footwork before his effort in the second half was great and to say the standing ovation when he left the field was 'ironic' is just not true, i was sitting in c block ateyo and everyone, even his doubters congratulated him on his efforts. plus i don't think i've ever seen a player who has never scored a goal marked by so many players! the space he free up for brooker and the rest is reason alone to keep him in the side! he might not be the cream of the crop, but right now he is earning his place in the side.

on the stewart issue...

of course you can't drop brooker at the moment, he is just getting back to his peak, but i'd like to think that stewart would play better along side ol' baz. my flat mate is an ipswich fan and always said marcus played best with the big man naylor along side him. a good 25-30 mins together up front vs. Yeovil if were doing ok at the end could be educational...

Here here well said!!

Thinking about it Bas should be 1st yes that's first choice at the mo.

Stewart and Brooker isn't great.

Brooker and Bas play well together.

Stewart plays well with pace and hight up front with him so that'd be Bas again.

Guest harveythompson

He is there to play as a target man and take that responsibility from Brooker. When Bas is playing Brooks plays a totally different (and better) game in my opinion. Shows it last night by netting 2 goals

He is there to play as a target man and take that responsibility from Brooker. When Bas is playing Brooks plays a totally different (and better) game in my opinion. Shows it lat night by netting 2 goals

The way I see it, we could do with Savage in the squad, as well as bringing in a pacy poacher. I think we need a cover target man and Savage will come for free and on low wages. With a goalscorer in the squad too, Hayter for example, we'd have the right balance of frontmen.

I'd like Savage in the squad, but not starting every week.

Archived