IGNORED

Stewart Gone...........

Dolman Block B

This could be the best thing to happen to his career. If he can rebuild himself up there, get a few games under his belt, he can come back stronger than ever next season with a clean slate and get started.

Established practise is, if the player does not request a move, the club they leave pays up a part of their contract in order to save some money. It's mutual consent, which is achieved by paying the player a large sum of money. We save some by doing this, but I think the truth is it would be very little. It doesn't have anything to do with the club the player moves to, and generally they won't get involved in it. I can't see them doing so for a 34 yeard old, and I can't see his agent advising him to give this up, especially if the relationship between him and GJ isn't good, and especially at the end of his career.

Or, we could just sign up Bas and McCammon? Which do you think is more likely!?

Nibor

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info, Nibor. So how much longer has Stewart's contract got left to run? So basically if he isn't a success at Preston, we're stuck with him. If he is, then at least we have options :pray:

I don't know. Depends on how much money GJ has and who's available. It's a bit harsh on McCammon to put in the same league as Bas when he's scored more goals in 3 games then Bas has in his entire career.

Established practise is, if the player does not request a move, the club they leave pays up a part of their contract in order to save some money. It's mutual consent, which is achieved by paying the player a large sum of money. We save some by doing this, but I think the truth is it would be very little. It doesn't have anything to do with the club the player moves to, and generally they won't get involved in it. I can't see them doing so for a 34 yeard old, and I can't see his agent advising him to give this up, especially if the relationship between him and GJ isn't good, and especially at the end of his career.

Surely signing him on a free transfer is the best deal for both clubs then, as we wouldn't have to pay his wages surely?

I wish him all the best too.

But if he doesn't score a hatful, would that convince you that GJ was right? Or can GJ not win in your eyes?

That is an interesting point. One of the most common reasons stated for Stewart not scoring goals is the poor service he has been given (Brooker still manages but there you go!). So he is now going to a good Championship club with good players who create chances. This will probably prove that particular argument one way or the other. The problem is that if Stewart is actually "losing it" and does nothing up there we are then stuck with him for another season and £250K of wages!!

But if he doesn't score a hatful, would that convince you that GJ was right? Or can GJ not win in your eyes?

Fair point, but I will take some convincing that given the run in the team that Bas as had that MS would not have scored considerably more goals.

I also wonder if PNE would be wanting to sign Bas.

Oh well, perhaps GJ is correct and other managers wrong.

Good point Mozo.

I reckon this. Theres absolutley no way MS would move his family again.

They have only just recently got a home south of Bristol.

He,s Bristolian and wants to end up living here when he calls it a day with football.

He has businesses in the Bristol area, which are doing fine.

They DEF aint going want move north again, his family are young and need to settle here now.

So, MS must be stuck in a nice hotel or digs up there for the 5 week loan.

He has one more years contract with BCFC. He don't have to move anywhere, he,s contracted so they must pay him.

I hope he,s gone for some 1st team football, which he will surely get with thier two main strikers out now untill the end of season.

Then come back at the start of next season and try his heart out for us, then piece of mind he can hang up his boots with his career finished at the club he loves.

Might be wrong, but who knows..............

Surely signing him on a free transfer is the best deal for both clubs then, as we wouldn't have to pay his wages surely?

By free transfer, you mean no transfer fee? I'd always assumed there'd be no transfer fee if he moved, the days of paying for 34 yr olds are long gone. Stewart has one year left on it after this one I think. Unless he requests a move, we'd still have to pay up his contract whether there's a fee or not. Same as a fixed term employment contract in most other industries. The area of compromise when cancelling fixed term employment contract is that the employee is released and able to work for someone else, that's their only incentive to agree less money. Now ask yourself how keen a 34 yr old who's set up for life financially anyway will be to move away from home again?

This is one of the main reasons I've always felt that the salary argument is irrelevant after the player is signed, because the money is effectively already spent. It's only the rare occasion you can get out of some of it.

Nibor

Good point Mozo.

I reckon this. Theres absolutley no way MS would move his family again.

They have only just recently got a home south of Bristol.

He,s Bristolian and wants to end up living here when he calls it a day with football.

He has businesses in the Bristol area, which are doing fine.

They DEF aint going want move north again, his family are young and need to settle here now.

So, MS must be stuck in a nice hotel or digs up there for the 5 week loan.

He has one more years contract with BCFC. He don't have to move anywhere, he,s contracted so they must pay him.

I hope he,s gone for some 1st team football, which he will surely get with thier two main strikers out now untill the end of season.

Then come back at the start of next season and try his heart out for us, then piece of mind he can hang up his boots with his career finished at the club he loves.

Might be wrong, but who knows..............

Yeh I just made that point because I was wondering whether this debate is more about taking sides than what is best for BCFC.

I personally feel that: 1/ I would rather City players do well rather than not, 2/ I want the best for City be it finacially or for squad solidarity, a responsibility of the gaffer, and 3/ I don't understand why people could want our manager to be wrong - surely that would be a sign that our club wasn't in safe hands. Thats for gasheads to wish for.

3/ I don't understand why people could want our manager to be wrong - surely that would be a sign that our club wasn't in safe hands. Thats for gasheads to wish for.

Personally I just want the best for the club and I'm sure most other posters do. For me, the differences of opinion are people having different ideas about what's best, not different motives.

I think there's quite a bit of misinformation around that people don't see through which clouds the issue - like this illusion that we can "get him off our wage bill". We can't, so my view is it's best to try and get a goal return for the money, especially when the rival for the first team spot isn't giving us one. Plenty will disagree, that's what makes this more interesting than getting on with work.

Yeah... that bit where he played in the Premiership and in Europe was rubbish! :whistle:

If he could come back with a fresh slate & play for Bristol City and show us what he can really do then I'm sure he'd think it was, yes.

If he could come back with a fresh slate & play for Bristol City and show us what he can really do then I'm sure he'd think it was, yes.

Don't be daft. How can playing in league one for City possibly compare to playing in the UEFA cup or the Premiership?

Personally I just want the best for the club and I'm sure most other posters do. For me, the differences of opinion are people having different ideas about what's best, not different motives.

I think there's quite a bit of misinformation around that people don't see through which clouds the issue - like this illusion that we can "get him off our wage bill". We can't, so my view is it's best to try and get a goal return for the money, especially when the rival for the first team spot isn't giving us one. Plenty will disagree, that's what makes this more interesting than getting on with work.

I could quote a few posts that suggested confused motives but cant be arsed. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

We can soften the wage blow by loaning Stewart out and by selling him for a fee (not that we'd get much).

I could quote a few posts that suggested confused motives but cant be arsed. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

We can soften the wage blow by loaning Stewart out and by selling him for a fee (not that we'd get much).

We won't get a fee. You can quote whatever you like, I am persistent in arguing a point and I am far from convinced by GJ yet, that is pretty clear to all. If you want to make assumptions about my motives, feel free to get them wrong :me?:

We won't get a fee. You can quote whatever you like, I am persistent in arguing a point and I am far from convinced by GJ yet, that is pretty clear to all. If you want to make assumptions about my motives, feel free to get them wrong :me?:

I wasn't specifically talking about quoting you Nibor, old boy. Sorry to mislead you. There have been posts from a few forumites who seem to want GJ to be belittled, which would not benefit anyone. Who do we support BCFC or Marcus Stewart?

You persistence isn't new to me nor of my concern. As I've said before, I enjoy debating with you. I'd say that financial concerns or performance concerns are more likely to be behind the management's policy on Stewart than some sort of vendetta.

it also hasnt been mentioned but should be PNE "apparently" approached city,

johnson then approached stewart who agreed.

i still think he'll be back ,

maybe.....

depends....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ! head hurts

Don't hold you breath..

I was waitiing for Bob Taylor and I got Bob Carelgies!

I wasn't specifically talking about quoting you Nibor, old boy. Sorry to mislead you. There have been posts from a few forumites who seem to want GJ to be belittled, which would not benefit anyone. Who do we support BCFC or Marcus Stewart?

Ah, yes I can probably guess what you mean then. Weird, we haven't had a new thread about that in at least 2 hours... someone start one quick!

You persistence isn't new to me nor of my concern. As I've said before, I enjoy debating with you. I'd say that financial concerns or performance concerns are more likely to be behind the management's policy on Stewart than some sort of vendetta.

I think you're mainly right and I don't have much time for conspiracy theories. I do think there's an element of GJ preferring younger players though. It's hard to imagine he would have kept faith with Stewart if he'd had a barren run similar to Savage's. His summer signings will say a great deal about what he wants to do going forward, so far Noble and Fontaine have impressed - I hope there are more in that vein.

Nibor

Don't be daft. How can playing in league one for City possibly compare to playing in the UEFA cup or the Premiership?

In the same way that he signed for us instead of some Championship clubs that were offering god knows how much money. We are his club, not Sunderland, not Ipswich, Bristol City.

In the same way that he signed for us instead of some Championship clubs that were offering god knows how much money. We are his club, not Sunderland, not Ipswich, Bristol City.

So why didn't he sign for us before he'd had his best shot at the Premiership, Europe and getting in the England side? Don't kid yourself that playing for City is the highlight of his career because it isn't.

Ah, yes I can probably guess what you mean then. Weird, we haven't had a new thread about that in at least 2 hours... someone start one quick!

I think you're mainly right and I don't have much time for conspiracy theories. I do think there's an element of GJ preferring younger players though. It's hard to imagine he would have kept faith with Stewart if he'd had a barren run similar to Savage's. His summer signings will say a great deal about what he wants to do going forward, so far Noble and Fontaine have impressed - I hope there are more in that vein.

Nibor

I'm not convinced about Marcus Stewart but I'd like him do well so that we've got an in-form striker on our books. We all wanted him to come and be a hero.

I presume that those who are still unsure about Gary Johnson would like to be proven wrong over time, because that benefits the club. With some (not you Nibor) I'm not so sure.

Yeah, and he's REALLY, REALLY done us proud eh?

home town club, and hes not exactly set the club on fire has he?

Funny old game football, last season Stewart was told his contract wasn't being renewed by newly promoted Sunderland (too expensive /not likely to perform in the Prem?) and IF he signs for PNE he may well end up a Prem player anyway???

Granted that is a big 'if' but how Sunderland have played without him it may not only be us watching his results with interest?

My take on this is he won't be back. Another case of player and club being wrong for eachother, boyhood club or not no guarentee of sucess. If had been anyone else he would have been bombed out ages ago. We, club & fans, were all caught up in the player's hype because we had to have some glimmer of hope it would be our year. It took a change of manager to see that it wasn't working and was brave enough to make the decision to do something about it. Whether that is the right decision or not remains to be seen, but th situation could not continue unresolved.

I think arson would be a bit much. I just wanted goals! :blink:

You and me too mate!! I hoped Leeeroy and Brookerman would be our strike force, but twas not to be, so the legend, Stewart was supposed to be the messiah, but what has he ever done for us? :dunno:

What did Lee Miller ever do for us for example. Tinnion sold him. Before that on Loan at Hearts he was knocking them in for fun. Football teams have different systems you know?

I liked Lee Miller, but FACT, he didnt do the biz for BRISTOL CITY FC. Bottom line. ergo he had to go. like Stewart. Ditto the admitted lashead Roberts- he didnt do the biz. End of. Reasons are irrelevant.

I liked Lee Miller, but FACT, he didnt do the biz for BRISTOL CITY FC. Bottom line. ergo he had to go. like Stewart. Ditto the admitted lashead Roberts- he didnt do the biz. End of. Reasons are irrelevant.

Roberts was pish, i totally agree. Miller didn't have to go and pretty much every1 wanted him to stay. He was better the Pea person who i don't agree with!

Archived