IGNORED

We Must Have Some Of The Worst Fans In The Country

Godzilla

In the week directly following a 6-0 victory which has put us up into our highest position of the season on the back of a 3 defeats in 18 run, a significant group of our fans decide to exercise their right to slag off our manager at every given opportunity.

We have a manager trying to 'build' something. I can positively say for the first time in a long, long time that every one of the 11 players on the field wants to win for the club and for their manager. Some are more talented than others. Some won't be here next season. Some will be here for the rest of their careers. But either way, while they are here, I'm confident they'll give everything because they believe in their manager, and what their manager wants to do. Those that don't believe (and yes, that includes you Marcus) can leave, I certainly won't shed any tears if you do.

Yet too many City fans find agendas with the manager, try to pick conspiracy theories, and look at every negative over every positive. Many of you did it from day one with Tinnion, and now're you doing it with Johnson.

Unfortunately, this is just typical of the pathetic "support" I have come to associate with Bristol City over recent seasons.

It's time some of you started to get behind this team and start showing them the patience and support that so many never showed Tinnion. Otherwise, we'll be in exactly the same position we are now 12 months down the line.

I've noticed that some of the 'anti-Johnsons' are hedging their bets or backtracking a bit now that we're performing well.

City are going through a good phase and we should celebrate this.

GJ's job was tough, he found it tough, but he has done well, so lets be decent fans and SUPPORT, ;)

Excellent post. I have said that myself for a long time.

Maybe that is part of the reason that we have not acheived the success we should have.

We've had different chairmen, different managers, different players, the one consistant group throughout has been the fans.

Whilst we have no doubt have more fans than many other teams, are they all as positive?

Ever since I have have supported City, there has always been a large undercurrent of negativity from many fans who seem to always want to moan or criticise.

There also always has to be one particular player who is the favorite for slagging, no matter how they play.

When I started following City, it was Gordon Low, then Terry Bush. In recent years we've had Joe Burnell and Clayton Fortune. Now it's Baz Savage.

Be positive and if you are a supporter BLOODY WELL SUPPORT!!!!

In the week directly following a 6-0 victory which has put us up into our highest position of the season on the back of a 3 defeats in 18 run, a significant group of our fans decide to exercise their right to slag off our manager at every given opportunity.

We have a manager trying to 'build' something. I can positively say for the first time in a long, long time that every one of the 11 players on the field wants to win for the club and for their manager. Some are more talented than others. Some won't be here next season. Some will be here for the rest of their careers. But either way, while they are here, I'm confident they'll give everything because they believe in their manager, and what their manager wants to do. Those that don't believe (and yes, that includes you Marcus) can leave, I certainly won't shed any tears if you do.

Yet too many City fans find agendas with the manager, try to pick conspiracy theories, and look at every negative over every positive. Many of you did it from day one with Tinnion, and now're you doing it with Johnson.

Unfortunately, this is just typical of the pathetic "support" I have come to associate with Bristol City over recent seasons.

It's time some of you started to get behind this team and start showing them the patience and support that so many never showed Tinnion. Otherwise, we'll be in exactly the same position we are now 12 months down the line.

GJ may (or may not be) the right man for Bristol City. Having doubts about him does not constitute 'slagging him off'. I certainly have my doubts sorry if you believe this constitutes 'pathetic support'. I'd like to think it is a considered view of a long time fan.

aa bcfc

At last.. we're building a TEAM who work hard and want to play for eachother, the Club, the manager.

This Club was rotten to the core.. Pulis and his crocked army, Blunderland with his relaxed 'turn up when and in whatever condition you want' .... oh, and by the way, I want to go on holiday.. stay up in the north etc.

No pain, no gain. The 9 defeats were a necessary shock to the system for all.

Tins tried manfully to turn it around but play power was too strong and the task of transforming the culture and work ethics was too much for a rookie manager.

The bad apples have found out that GJ ain't one for turning. Brilliant stuff.

I, for one, am taking a pride once again in a Club that was a complete shambles.

Some poor decisions have been made. I think GJ has admitted as such .. but given the task the guy has performed a near miracle and has built some solid foundations that we can at last build on.

In the week directly following a 6-0 victory Those that don't believe (and yes, that includes you Marcus) can leave, I certainly won't shed any tears if you do.

An excellent post. Just two comments if I may

WE WON SEVEN-NIL NOT SIX YAYYYY!!!!!!

With the Stewart comment you are in danger of contradicting the (excellent) point you are making. Stewart's 'attitude' is rumour, not fact, all that is in the public domain is about him wanting to regain his place. Don't forget, whether he is in the team or not Stewart is and always has been a City fan, please do not make use of unsubstantiated rumours and quarter facts to get sucked into the mistake you so eloquently pointed out in others. I have read nowhere that Stewart wanted/wants to leave or do anything other than succeed for the team he has supported all his life

Hang on - Because some of us have an alternative view which we express that qualifies us as 'the worst' fans?

Are we then supposed to bury our heads in the sand and keep our dissident views to ourselves because the 'best fans' don't like to see any objective critism?

What ever happened to free speech? :shutup:

I object to be labled 'a worst fan'.I go almost every home game and several away each season.I dedicate much of my own time voluntarily to supporters organisations as do others.Over the years I've watched City play over a 1000 times....what do you do for your club?

Sorry, I don't like negativity either Godzilla, but I think you're going too far here.

This is a discussion forum and people have a right to express their concerns, whether you agree with them or not. This forum would become a very dull place if we were all too afraid to question the manager/players/board because its seen as being 'pathetic' or disloyal.

The answer isnt to start throwing names and accusations around. The answer is to write your own posts and explain why they are wrong. Or, if you prefer, write posts highlighting the good things about this club. I think you'll find that most of the people on this forum are fairly balanced in their opinions and can see the good as well as the bad. Give them a chance.

Yes, performances are starting to improve. But we're not perfect and we can all see things we can be critical of. I'm sure even GJ and the players can see that. And i don't think i'm being negative or pathetic by making that blatantly obvious point.

Support the team on a saturday. But don't be afraid to speak your mind on this discussion forum.

Robbored the hypocrite/idiot in full flow again I see!!

Spot on.

My view is that we as fans should support manager regardless of of whether we rate him or not - after all the job is hard enough without the fans making it even harder.

You look silly... :rolleyes:

What a load od old tosh. Sorry, do you want us all to be blind loyalists who just believe all the guff that the Club feed us? Yes, things are looking up, but will Brooker stay, who will come in, will Bas ever score, can we keep Fontaine, will Bassos antics cost us, if Basso is injured will we have Abbey in??? These are perfectly reasonable questions, and why I cannot just have blind faith. And, how long have we been in Division 3 and 'amongst the favourites for promotion'? I thought that Tins had made some great signings and this would be our year, well I got that wrong! I support the team wholeheartedly on Match days, but I am not joining the lemming-like rush to believe that we are Champions in waiting. So there, am I a very bad fan, and should I be banned from AG???

Oh, and lets not forget the price rises due to the development that never happened, the shambles over the prawn sandwich seats in the Williams.......

Hang on - Because some of us have an alternative view which we express that qualifies us as 'the worst' fans?

Are we then supposed to bury our heads in the sand and keep our dissident views to ourselves because the 'best fans' don't like to see any objective critism?

I object to be labled 'a worst fan'.I go almost every home game and several away each season.I dedicate much of my own time voluntarily to supporters organisations as do others.Over the years I've watched City play over a 1000 times....what do you do for your club?

Well said Robbored, some of this lot should listen to our more 'experienced' fans.

Well you're entitled to your views, but free speech also gives us the right to object to your continued sniping.

When the team is doing well on a sustained basis, what's the point in questioning the manager's decisions when:

a) you don't have access to the information that he does

b) his decisions are clearly now working

Why do you see the need to bring him down when we're doing well? What's constructive, or <b>supportive</b> about that?

And given the success of his recent decisions, what makes you think you're right to have the opposing view? How can that be backed up given the recent form?

Feel free to carry on - I'm sure I'm not going to stop you, but what's the point in attacking the manager when he's doing well? Is that the behaviour of a supporter?

And if we lose today then don't feel vindicated. Only one loss does not equate to justification of your attacks.

Why do you have to resort to personal abuse?

All it shows is that you are unable enter into reasoned debate - are you sure that its me who looks silly?

I'm guessing it's just frustration. We've all experienced a lot of pain as supporters throughout the years (and I can only speak having got onto the crazy ride that is City since 2002) and when at last we seemed to have turned a corner and have a team that's playing with pride, you come on and constantly snipe.

So either

a) you'll never be content and will always moan or

b) you've got another agenda and that is more important to you than celebrating a genuine, sustained turnaround in form.

And coming from someone who calls himself a super supporter and who genuinely seemed to be the voice of reason, it is hard to understand. It's not the behaviour of someone who has the team's best interests at heart.

By all means criticise when the team isn't performing. But to continually criticise when we're doing well and not balance that out with positives? :doh:

For those who at last have something to celebrate, it's annoying that you're stood on the sideline constantly sniping at the manager despite his obvious recent success. In other words - the party pooper!

Of course, I can't speak for other people, but that's my theory. Feel free to back it up or otherwise people....

I'm guessing it's just frustration. We've all experienced a lot of pain as supporters throughout the years (and I can only speak having got onto the crazy ride that is City since 2002) and when at last we seemed to have turned a corner and have a team that's playing with pride, you come on and constantly snipe.

So either

a) you'll never be content and will always moan or

b) you've got another agenda and that is more important to you than celebrating a genuine, sustained turnaround in form.

And coming from someone who calls himself a super supporter and who genuinely seemed to be the voice of reason, it is hard to understand. It's not the behaviour of someone who has the team's best interests at heart.

By all means criticise when the team isn't performing. But to continually criticise when we're doing well and not balance that out with positives? :doh:

For those who at last have something to celebrate, it's annoying that you're stood on the sideline constantly sniping at the manager despite his obvious recent success. In other words - the party pooper!

Of course, I can't speak for other people, but that's my theory. Feel free to back it up or otherwise people....

Fair comment - but I would argue that my concerns about Johnson go far deeper than what happening on the pitch.

And...isn't strange that Edson and co slated Wilson (to the point of writing to the EP) and Tinnion was mercilessly slaughtered by Richieb and co (and some still continue to blame Tinnion for all of City's problems this season) and during those campaigns I stayed very much on the fence.Now I have concerns about Johnson which I openly express and I'm the villian! - and Richie accuses me of me having one rule for me and one rule for everyone else.

Fair comment - but I would argue that my concerns about Johnson go far deeper than what happening on the pitch.

but we are getting the results on the pitch. And we are playing well. So any concerns on the background events is not having an effect on saturday afternoons.

orr, woodman, carey, skuse are playing the best football i have ever seen them play. And steve brooker is holding the frontline together. Any backroom problems must be minor, or we would see performances dip not improve

:englandsmile4wf: WE MIGHT HAVE SOME OF THE WORST FANS,BUT I ALSO THINK WE HAVE SOME OF THE BEST FANS. WHEN WE WENT 4-1 DOWN AGAINST CHESTERFIELD AND THE FANS STARTED SINGING"I'M CITY TILL I DIE"IT CERTAINLY BROUGHT A LUMP TO MY THROAT, AND SINCE THEN THINGS HAVE ONLY GOT BETTER!BUT LET US PUT UP WITH THE MOANERS .THE ANSWER IS TO PUT YOUR POINT OF VIEW AND IF ENOUGH GOOD MEN AND WOMEN HAVE THIER SAY WHO CARES ABOUT THE MOANERS? :englandsmile4wf:

And...isn't strange that Edson and co slated Wilson (to the point of writing to the EP) and Tinnion was mercilessly slaughtered by Richieb and co (and some still continue to blame Tinnion for all of City's problems this season) and during those campaigns I stayed very much on the fence.Now I have concerns about Johnson which I openly express and I'm the villian! - and Richie accuses me of me having one rule for me and one rule for everyone else.

But who can truly say what's happening off the pitch? It's all conjecture.

So perhaps you're worrying yourself needlessly - after the proof is what's happening on the pitch and at present that seems fine.

And ultimately - I would argue that what it boils down to is:

- what happens on the pitch. which Johnson is responsible for and seems now to be doing well

and:

- what happens off the pitch in terms of legal/finance - which Johnson is not responsible for, but the directors are.

So unless you want to read a lot into gossip conjecture and ignore what really matters - team performance on the day - you really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to continually slating Johnson.

And one could argue that not only do you not have a leg to stand on, it's harmful and negative.

Now regards your other argument re: being lambasted unfairly when others have been 'just as unfair' to Brian and Danny. Three wrongs don't make a right! But! Without having unlimited time to access past accounts, I'm guessing that any campaigns (perceived or otherwise) only came when we were underachieving. Raising doubts about the manager when they aren't delivering is surely fair?

I guess your timing is just a bit rotten at the moment! :-D

If we were to go into territory that I'm not comfortable with since it could be construed as a personal attack - you could easily be accused of hypocrisy at this point:

- There were numerous murmourings about Brian losing the backroom with all his 'look me in the eye chats'

- There were numerous accusations of Danny ignoring the drinking culture at the club. And frankly strange ones about him living away from Bristol. And not forgetting the constant failure to achieve despite the huge budget.

The murmourings related to Johnson so far seem scant in comparison and seem largely to come from you!

To remain quiet about the others, but to be so vocal about Johnson just seems odd and strangely personal. Especially since (but this is subjective) one could argue that the performances now seen on the pitch are better than any seen in recent years, especially with a squad with less 'stars' in.

I guess I'm leading back to my previous point: when we're doing well and you rely on gossip/conjecture to slate the manager - how is that being a supporter?

Sorry, but a forum is for airing your views.

Support the team, players, manager and board at the games by all means, but unless people are allowed to express their opinions without fear of jingoistic and belligerent personal attacks on their integrity and intelligence, simply because it doesn't fit in with the cosy view that everything said on the forum should be positive and in support of the club, then the forum itself loses its integrity and value as a public discussion arena.

If it wasn't for posters questioning the cosy view, there would be nothing to debate.

Support the team, players, manager and board at the games by all means, but unless people are allowed to express their opinions without fear of jingoistic and belligerent personal attacks on their integrity and intelligence, simply because it doesn't fit in with the cosy view that everything said on the forum should be positive and in support of the club, then the forum itself loses its integrity and value as a public discussion arena.

If it wasn't for posters questioning the cosy view, there would be nothing to debate.

But when views rely solely on conjecture, could easily be seen as a personal attack against the management with no real grounds and are consistently negative how does that strengthen the debate?

Criticism when warranted is fair and healthy.

Simply my old fruit, that was a well thought out post. ;) However, it seems to me that the likes of Robbo and yourself view debate as an end in itself, whereas I would say the point of debate is to establish some consensus or at least compromise. Do you agree?

Archived